• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3187 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
hiohjiggyoh

How do you all stay motivated to play the game? Reply to this Post

I've played this game since 2005 as Valliee and Dinosaur. I stopped playing about four years ago while I was in high school because I was really busy and all my friends stopped playing. At the time, I wasn't really into the piracy aspect, except for the occasional SMH. I much more enjoyed the social aspect of the game.

Since I've restarted playing, I've been much more into piracy. I even own a shop now. I've had goals I wanted to achieve in the game, so I had been playing with fervor. However, I've now completed all my goals and find little more reason to play, especially since I no longer have the social aspect to tide me over between quests.

I don't necessarily need to come back to play, since it's just a game but I do enjoy the puzzles and parlor games.

I've been thinking of creating a crew on Obsidian which would give me a lot to work on and a reason to continue coming back to play. What keeps you playing this game?
----------------------------------------
Dinosaur of the Sage Ocean Emerald Ocean and Obsidian Ocean.
[Jul 19, 2017 9:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Dinosaur [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Re: How do you all stay motivated to play the game? Reply to this Post

At this point in the games life, Im only still here to attempt to finish my cat collection before the game dies and attempt to enjoy whats left of the social aspect on Cerulean...

Its never really been easy to continue playing, but as many an old salt will tell ye - we all take breaks from the game and somehow end up back here, without knowing how or why.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Jul 19, 2017 11:13:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
Obaba

In general, I take breaks from gaming all together.
I usually lose interest in things once the people who made the game enjoyable, set off on new adventures elsewhere.

When I do come back. its with some goals that can keep me invested for a while.
Something I want to learn, try to improve my skills or achievement to hunt.
Even after almost 14 years, there are still things I haven't tried in the game. There is always something to learn.
Toji - Captain of "The Depths"
Obaba - Fleet Officer and Muse of "Le Freccette"
YPP Comic- The Depths of Midnight
Avvie by Pogo
[Jul 25, 2017 6:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://obabashut.com    Toji no Boushi [Link]  Go to top 
Forevever

I've been thinking of creating a crew on Obsidian which would give me a lot to work on and a reason to continue coming back to play. What keeps you playing this game?

This is a good idea. I once got bored and made an alt on another ocean, just to see how long it would take me to get enough stats to create my own crew.

But I don't always have a goal. Sometimes I just want to remind myself what its like to be a greenie. I find the puzzles are actually more challenging at the lower levels. A combo that might make my indicator sparkle on a legendary pirate, might not do anything on a proficient pirate. Bilge is the best example of this. Early on, they really want you to make a lot of bingos. Bingo's are freakin hard when you're used to donkey/vegas over and over.

But that would be my next suggestion. Pick one station, your best? your worst? doesn't matter - and see how long it takes you to get to ultimate!! Or at least a reasonably high stat. Then move to the next station.

I found it easier not to alternate, but to stick with one puzzle, and get good at it before moving on.

I do take breaks but only because something else gets my attention. I will always come back to this game. The simple graphics, the fact that I don't need some super powerful computer that was released yesterday to run it, and the sandbox feel of it all makes it feel like home.

For the social aspect, become an ultimate recruiter!! Once upon a time I would job for an atlantis run, and /w everyone on the ult list to see if they were busy - and if not, politely introduce myself and ask them to come :)
This was particularly useful when Cerulean started to "die". If none of the ult people were on, I'd /w the experience list regardless of stats. If that wasn't enough people, then I'd hop to the busiest islands and just type /w and see who was standing around doing nothing, strike up a conversation, ask them to join.
LOL I knew everyone in those days. I don't do this anymore, but it was fun at the time :)

These days when I'm bored, I stand around the dock and just give away stuff that I think is worthless, but is literally gold to new people (like kraken furniture LOL). I also like to set up tournaments when I find my poe is in excess and I'm not saving up for something specific. Share the wealth!!
Forevever and Foreverchaos
Cerulean and Meridian
[Jul 30, 2017 7:54:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    forevever [Link]  Go to top 
Bubblesalt

All I can suggest is to do what I've been doing which is to get back in touch with old players and to spread the word about the new ocean.

I'm sure that a large number of old players will slowly trickle back into the game depending on how well GH promote the game.

So far I know a handful of players coming back to the game that I've spoken to over Facebook.

Fingers crossed that this new concept saves PP!
Bubbleboy on the Virdian Ocean.
[Jul 30, 2017 8:33:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates