• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7087 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
RaggedAndy

Steam support for Linux... Reply to this Post

I cannot help but notice that there has been a resounding silence in response to the multiple questions I've seen about the (Obsidian) Steam implementation providing support for Linux.

Is there any hope at all for those of us on the Linux platform?

... because frankly, that's going to be the deciding factor for me.
----------------------------------------
RaggedAndy, Senior Officer in Mermaid's Typhoon on the Meridian Ocean, and various alts elsewhere.
I'm a freaking old phart who's been playing this game longer than some of your emotional ages.
Deal with it, and get off my lawn!
[Jul 15, 2017 9:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ABPeed [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Re: Steam support for Linux... Reply to this Post

I presume that as they are running the beta outside of steam on Linux then it would be strange if the steam release doesn't support Linux.
Robyns
<3
[Jul 15, 2017 1:21:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaggedAndy

Seeing as how the current Steam release for the existing oceans doesn't support Linux, I'm making no presumptions at all.
RaggedAndy, Senior Officer in Mermaid's Typhoon on the Meridian Ocean, and various alts elsewhere.
I'm a freaking old phart who's been playing this game longer than some of your emotional ages.
Deal with it, and get off my lawn!
[Jul 15, 2017 4:57:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ABPeed [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Seeing as how the current Steam release for the existing oceans doesn't support Linux, I'm making no presumptions at all.

I feel like the vanilla game's release on Steam was very much an afterthought. It has never been updated (via the Steam Store), and still ships with an ancient version of Java (1.6).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 15, 2017 6:10:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Does Steam offer any other games that run on Linux? I just wonder if it's a Steam issue, or a YPP issue.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 16, 2017 9:10:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Steam has supported Linux for some time now, and has a good number of Linux games on it. But I don't think it did when the vanilla game was released on Steam.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
[Jul 16, 2017 9:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Does Steam offer any other games that run on Linux? I just wonder if it's a Steam issue, or a YPP issue.

Steam is a massive backer of Linux, in fact their Steam operating system that never really took off was based off of Linux
Robyns
<3
[Jul 16, 2017 11:48:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

I'm not saying this to indicate one way or the other in terms of our plans with Linux. I don't know the answer to that, so don't read too much into this.

Below is the Steam hardware survey. As you can see, Linux does not make up a significant number of Steam users.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=combined
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Jul 25, 2017 7:18:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

I'm not saying this to indicate one way or the other in terms of our plans with Linux. I don't know the answer to that, so don't read too much into this.

Below is the Steam hardware survey. As you can see, Linux does not make up a significant number of Steam users.

But what are the stats for PP?
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jul 25, 2017 7:52:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Cronus wrote: 
Dexy wrote: 

Interesting, but what does 0.72% equate to in players? I mean, if 1m people contributed to the survey then that's 7k players. That is a pretty decent sized pool of people to include/exclude (depending on where things are at).

With that said, the more interesting thing would be what types of games that 0.72% plays. If puzzle-based games are a commonly preferred genre, then it makes them an even stronger audience to try and include, right?

Personally, I don't really have an interest one way or another, I run Win10 and MacOS X Sierra, so this has no direct impact on me
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 25, 2017 2:15:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

It's not a Steam issue. It would be up to Grey Havens whether to support Linux or not. I believe about 25% or so of all games on Steam support Linux. If you go to here http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux you can see about 3700 games for linux and 16,000 games for windows.

It basically comes down to how much effort is necessary to support linux. Some engines make it relatively easy, but I don't know if that's the case for whatever GH is using. Grey Havens is stretched very thin in terms of resources I would imagine, and we can see that the reward for supporting linux is not particularly high.

Linux gamers also have other options available to them if they want to play puzzle pirates, such as Wine, dual booting, or running a virtual machine. Maybe not the easiest stuff in the world, but if linux is your main OS, you can probably figure it out.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Jul 29, 2017 7:53:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

This is a Java based game, so it should theoretically run on any platform that Java supports. Plus, a Linux installation is available for the Obsidian beta test. It'd be rather unusual for GH to not have a Linux option available for when the game goes to Steam.
[Jul 29, 2017 9:02:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

This is a Java based game, so it should theoretically run on any platform that Java supports. Plus, a Linux installation is available for the Obsidian beta test. It'd be rather unusual for GH to not have a Linux option available for when the game goes to Steam.

From 2006 until my retirement, I ran Puzzle Pirates exclusively on Ubuntu Linux, and it worked like a champ. It would be extremely dismaying to find they had abandoned Linux support after being consistently behind it up until now.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Aug 4, 2017 3:22:31 PM]
[Aug 4, 2017 3:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
suck_fony

I know this is an old thread, but I am able to run the standalone client on Linux, but not the steam version.

What were the reasons/difficulties for Linux support to be dropped?
[Jan 24, 2018 1:19:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I don't think it's officially dropped. It *is* possible to download the Steam version in Linux (Steam won't tell you wrong platform if you try), but the configuration is booched in a couple different ways:

1. The Steam startup is configured to use the Windows start parameter even on Linux (try to run it from Steam and you'll get a message about javaw.exe being missing).
2. The Steam download consists of the pre-Steam Linux version. If you try to start the game via run.sh, the login prompt will tell you that you need to be using the Steam client to access the ocean.

If these two issues are resolved, that would likely fix Linux support.

If you try to download the classic client via Steam on Linux, Steam will just tell you wrong platform.
[Jan 24, 2018 10:45:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

+1 for Linux support, would be really nice to have.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Feb 24, 2018 1:30:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

I was excited to see a new ocean, with a new playstyle.

Unfortunately, deliberately blocking Linux access by requiring Steam without Linux/SteamOS support (which has been on Steam for *ages*) is a complete deal breaker for me.

I guess I'll have to make my stories elsewhere.

I mean even EvE and WoW don't actually lock me out.
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Jul 6, 2018 9:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Less than 2% of desktops run Linux. On steam, 0.5% of users are running Linux. Is it really worth the resources maintaining the game on a platform that, at best, a dozen potential players own?
[Jul 7, 2018 5:08:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Less than 2% of desktops run Linux. On steam, 0.5% of users are running Linux. Is it really worth the resources maintaining the game on a platform that, at best, a dozen potential players own?

We don't even know why they didn't port to Linux, whether it's a small config issue or some irresolvable problem.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jul 7, 2018 6:00:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odyn9

Would Wine work?
Zaye - Emerald
Odyn - Obsidian

-Seven Deadliest Sins-
[Jul 7, 2018 2:39:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Would Wine work?

Wine is a whole can of worms here. We're not talking about a binary executable, written in C++ or something, and compiled with Windows API calls. The Puzzle Pirates client is a Java application running on a JVM, and in its incarnation on Steam is heavily integrated into that client software as well. So it's orders of magnitude more complicated than simply having a standalone application running compatibly under Wine, which is a very imperfect platform.

Yes, it is very disappointing for Grey Havens to unceremoniously jettison support for Linux, considering how long they supported it (still do, on the classic oceans?) and how responsive the devs were to my own bug reports. The devs always had plenty of system resources to develop and test Linux compatibility, and I probably never had a problem that wasn't equalled by someone running on Windows or OS X.

I suspect it was the Steam integration that put the nail in this coffin, as it was not merely making an inherently-portable Java app work, but once Steam gets its tendrils into things, especially the auto-updating features, it can be a nightmare. And Grey Havens clearly doesn't have the manpower or financial resources they enjoyed back in the Sega days.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jul 7, 2018 3:12:27 PM]
[Jul 7, 2018 3:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I suspect it was the Steam integration that put the nail in this coffin, as it was not merely making an inherently-portable Java app work, but once Steam gets its tendrils into things, especially the auto-updating features, it can be a nightmare. And Grey Havens clearly doesn't have the manpower or financial resources they enjoyed back in the Sega days.

Note that the classic ocean Steam client has never supported Linux either (though I don't think Steam existed for Linux at the time of the classic client's Steam release).
[Jul 7, 2018 3:35:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Note that the classic ocean Steam client has never supported Linux either (though I don't think Steam existed for Linux at the time of the classic client's Steam release).

Nope! The Puzzle Pirates client was introduced to Steam in August 2011, and Steam for Linux was announced in February 2013. That would have given both companies over a year to work out the Linux support for our game client.

To my recollection, Steam for Linux debuted with an impressive and relatively robust roster of games which had supported Linux for years. It is truly chicken-and-egg when developers need to question expending extra resources on a minority platform which will forever stay minority if it can't attract gamers who want a comprehensive catalog of supported titles.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jul 7, 2018 5:05:45 PM]
[Jul 7, 2018 5:03:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Threehundred

It should be possible to run Dark Seas under Linux, but you would need to do so using a version of Windows and virtualisation software such as VirtualBox.org
[Dec 21, 2018 12:15:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates