• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3409 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
hiohjiggyoh

How do I get better at Bnav? Reply to this Post

I've watched tons of YouTube tutorials on battle navigation, read all the guides and forums, and consulted with crew mates.

Yet, I've been screaming for the last week every time I practice battle navigation with the Navy. No matter how many battles I do, I never go up in ranking.

Not every battle is great -- some grapple me way too early. I've never been maxed, though. Often, I max them while taking little to no damage myself.
EDIT: I most often allow other ships to target me. Occasionally I engage myself.

I have no idea what to do. I'm distinguished right now. I'd be happy going up just one more ranking!

What can I do? Tips?
----------------------------------------
Dinosaur of the Sage Ocean Emerald Ocean and Obsidian Ocean.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hiohjiggyoh at Jun 19, 2017 9:31:15 AM]
[Jun 19, 2017 9:29:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Dinosaur [Link]  Go to top 
Lolcaatz

Re: How do I get better at Bnav? Reply to this Post

(Was Grand-master)

here's a few steps to be thinking about when you enter a battle!

Do I wanna 0-max, or just shoot and board as quickly as I can?

If I don't wanna take any damage.... I will want to follow these steps:

#1: - Deplete his sails, by staying safe and keeping my distance
- make sure I'm not trapping myself in between any obstacles

#2: - once I can tell he's not making many moves try your best to use that opportunity to sneak in a few cannon balls
- if he's tailing you keep your distance and try to take a few "Safe Shots"
[This can be done by making sure that when his move is over he'll be in no way able to shoot you]

#3: the hard part is over once I've severely damaged his ship, all I need to do is play safe, choose my moves carefully and max him completely

This will become better through practice, but can be very satisfying if you choose to make it satisfying.
[Jun 19, 2017 10:08:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Running your own pillies and bnaving should be easier as you can job a decent gunner.
Robyns
<3
[Jun 25, 2017 9:46:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

Having a high bnav rank doesn't always mean you bnav efficiently. Here are the factors that determine your bnav score:
1) shooting the enemy ship. Up until the max damage ( where the board is maxed). After that, any more shooting doesn't count.
2) the time the battle lasts has big impact: the shorter the better.
3) if it is you that grapples the enemy, it improves the score. (Also if you have shot the enemy the turn you grappled it is supposedly good for your score, but I'm not 100% sure)

Based on these, a short battle with less damage may be better that an exhaustingly long battle where you manage to max your opponent.

Disengaging doesn't affect your standing, so you may use this if you find your in a tight spot. Remember rank=/=efficiency

And of course the level of your opponent and the size of his ship plays an important part. When you are at a rampage or-how-it's-called, you keep getting harder and harder opponents. But I'm not sure how you can take advantage of this. (edit: clarification: harder opponents improve your ranking faster compared to easier ones, with the same score)

I don't remember if I forgot something. Maybe you've already heard some of these.

So, instead of giving you strategical advice, that you've undubtedly heard a million times, I'll just say a simple practical thing: get a good Gunner and gun the HELL out of the opponent. Waste as much cannonballs as possible if you have even the slightest possibility of hitting the enemy. Sometimes he may just run into your shooting range without you expecting it. The point is that wasting shoots DOESN'T affect the score, and you should take advantage of this.

And, of course you must learn to navigate in winds perfectly, but from your post I assume that isn't your problem.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Altich at Jun 26, 2017 3:09:53 PM]
[Jun 26, 2017 3:07:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Get better, or get a higher score? While the two are related, they are definitely not the same thing.

The most important factor in bnav score is how hard the enemy is. So fight on orange or red routes. Then the scoring involves how much you shoot them, and how fast you get a grab. Getting shot has no effect on bnav score, and nor does missing, so just spam and don't worry about trading, if you're going for score. (M-M in 5 turns scores better than M-0 in 15.) Of course you'll lose a lot of frays this way ...

If you mean becoming a better bnavver, the trick is to read their moves. Think about how they will try to approach you, and how to counter that. If there is a way you can get possible shots in while safe, that's a good move; try not to do worse than trading. As you bnav more in pillages you learn the ways in which the bots move and you can make some moves which would be rubbish in PVP, but you know it will work against bots.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 3, 2017 4:41:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mikipiki

To simply get better, there was basically two things I did to get better against bots.

Firstly, back in the old days when I was just a pirate, I'd find a couple really good people that ran pillies that rarely had scores of worse than max-1/2. I'd puzzle until the last few seconds of the turn and see what their turns were, I'd then quickly look at the board and think about the moves I'd do. Then watch how the turn played out, and see how the bnaver did and also how I would have done if I put in the moves I was thinking.

Eventually you sort of get to know how the bot ships move and what actions they prefer to do and you can chose your moves accordingly. Then once I started running my on pillies it wasn't great at first but eventually I got better and better.

For pvp, only thing you can really do is practice... In pvp often you have to not only think "what are they going to do" but also "what do they think I'm going to do" and then try and do something different that's effective.
[Jul 4, 2017 1:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

Getting shot has no effect on bnav score

Are u sure about this? I've never heard of this and it sounds very illogical
[Jul 4, 2017 12:25:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

In my experience, getting shot has a negative impact to your ranking. Get up to GM/Leg and then take one battle vs green/yellow strength, go 0-3 (you-them) and grapple. You're going to drop in ranking.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 4, 2017 8:54:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates