• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4168 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Alstroemeria

Why haven't Tzz and Nickbush been banned? Reply to this Post

Ahoy!

I am curious why both Tzz and Nickbush haven't been banned yet for scamming the entire community for over a decade on multiple oceans at once (cross ocean winning) ?

Original Thread.

Exploits:
  • Prepuzzling (bypassing the puzzle check to set up unbeatable combos and transferring their score into the competition)
  • Score exploiting (rigging the score average by exploiting the Laze mechanic)

YPPedia Ban reason: "Cheating: This includes cheating or misrepresenting your skill at a wagered game, advertising a website with cheats or exploiting a bug for your own profit."

Summary of the exploits: You want to win a competition?
! You can't - by default. !
It was never possible to outscore said exploits through normal puzzling.

If it was a bug why didn't it get fixed?
It seems like they didn't share the issue with the developers for years.
After they got public attention through my efforts they were suddenly unintended:

Release 2017-04-04
  • Updating the requirements that must be met before joining a competition, in order to prevent pirates from "saving" a high scoring situation for use in a pending competition
  • If on board a vessel that has recently turned about, players will be required to wait until the vessel reaches a league point before they can join a competition.
    If a player had already joined a pending competition at the time the vessel turns about, a message will be displayed that the player must rejoin the competition after reaching a league point.

Release 2017-05-02
  • Adding another check to ensure that puzzle performance only counts towards the competition if it took place after the competition started.
  • Players will receive a message notifying them that their puzzle performance did not count if this situation occurs.
  • Fixed a competition scoring mechanic that would sometimes allow lazing to be useful after a high-scoring situation.

So where is the punishment?

People get permanently banned for way less. Why haven't they received a punishment according to the Terms of Service yet? Are they special?

Feel free to discuss!
----------------------------------------
Competition exploiters scammed the community:

Thread
[May 19, 2017 7:38:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Re: Why haven't Tzz and Nickbush been banned? Reply to this Post

big if true
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[May 19, 2017 8:15:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins133991.html
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[May 19, 2017 5:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Nah, doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the first step in debugging.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[May 19, 2017 6:08:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nouer

They should be banned if there is sufficient evidence available. But I doubt that YPP collects data on competition scoring or stores that data for retrospective use. It's pretty obvious that both of them have been using the trick over the past few years of playing but there's probably no empirical evidence to back it up.
[May 19, 2017 6:33:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

They should be banned if there is sufficient evidence available. But I doubt that YPP collects data on competition scoring or stores that data for retrospective use. It's pretty obvious that both of them have been using the trick over the past few years of playing but there's probably no empirical evidence to back it up.

Considering an OM specifically said they had no policy against this (I assume that's changed now), there is no reason for a ban other than the OP being a whiny tart.

I do appreciate him finally making a stink about it in the original thread, and wish I'd thought of doing it myself sooner, but this is just getting pathetic.

[May 19, 2017 7:38:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alstroemeria

How can they have a policy on the fly regarding an exploit if they didn't even know the exploit existed in the first place since you never bothered to tell them about it but instead rather scammed familiars?
Competition exploiters scammed the community:

Thread
[May 19, 2017 7:49:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

If you'd read the original thread, I reported Tzz multiple times for doing it and he didn't get banned for it, so either the report function is useless, or it wasn't against the rules. I will ask for clarification though.

[May 19, 2017 7:57:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

Final answer:

Now STFU. Pre-puzzling is virtually impossible now unless someone finds a way around it, in which case, since this has been a hot issue, the devs will find a way to stop it.

I agree it's unfair, but if the OMs say there is no policy, then there's nothing you or I can do about it.

[May 20, 2017 6:30:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Pre-puzzling is virtually impossible now unless someone finds a way around it, in which case, since this has been a hot issue, the devs will find a way to stop it.

I agree it's unfair, but if the OMs say there is no policy, then there's nothing you or I can do about it.

It's a shame that OOO didn't do anything about it earlier; it's nice that GH has started plugging some of the longstanding issues we've had. Among other things, it hints that they've realized that how the game functions as a whole is more important than hitting a quarterly profit forecast. (Or more accurately, that the people who focused on short-term gains have left, leaving behind those who see the fuller picture.)

Nonetheless, ex post facto laws exist for a reason. Banning someone for something that wasn't against the rules, even if it was questionable, is just wrong.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 20, 2017 11:42:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

Yeah, banning someone after saying 'We have no policy for this.' would only be a liiiiiiittle rude. Of course, calling someone a whiny baby to an OM later is also rude, but hey. We're pirates. The salt climbs out of the ocean and into us.

(Besides, at least someone gave Tzz a run for his money)
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[May 20, 2017 8:05:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

While I think this is quite the story I don't particularly think this is deserving of a ban. It's just unsportsmanlike and tarnishes the reputation of the pirates using such a trick indefinitely. The rest of us participating in these competitions (on the whole anyway) have not exploited such a method and have therefore been at a disadvantage not due to puzzling skill but due to this.

It's a shame I actually looked up to the people using these exploits to win competitions. At least I know my participation was in good spirit, even if I haven't won a puzzle competition. I'm not posting this as I believe I have been deprived of anything, I am quite aware I'm not skilled enough to win one of these familiar competitions. I'm just disappointed that people would choose a cheap trick over proper puzzling to win.

This is just my personal opinion on the matter.
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian

[May 21, 2017 8:11:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates