• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3217 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
xelto

Kraken blood-- what's the most effective way to get it? Reply to this Post

The subject says it all, really. I prefer to run large-ship, take-everyone pillages when I lead a pillage; I find that it's a nice balance to being elitist when I run CIs. However, I've found my shops in need of kraken blood, and my shops are in the middle of nowhere, so I don't get many people selling to me. I could start up an apothecary long enough to distill a zillion ink into blood, and I'll do that if needed, but I would rather get my own.

I know that the difficulty of the ships you attack has an effect on the odds of gaining blood from a fight, as well as the skill level of your crew. Would I be better to scale down and job more elite, or is there any way to regularly get blood from a larger ship? (No, a brig full of elite players isn't really likely, much as I would love to have one.) And are there any other things I should consider?
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 3, 2017 6:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Kraken blood-- what's the most effective way to get it? Reply to this Post

I could start up an apothecary long enough to distill a zillion ink into blood, and I'll do that if needed, but I would rather get my own.

In the past, when I needed things like black, gold, or white enamel/paint/cloth, I would approach apoth owners and see if they could make me a bunch if I supplied the raw materials. Usually, my hearties would be happy to make some, but I was careful to not be too much of a pain. I would have everything ready first, and I would do large batches that would last me months so I would keep pestering them.

I eventually opened up my own apoth/weavery because the markup on a single batch of gold stuff was more than the opening costs and the number of players had dropped enough to make it hard to find willing owners.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 3, 2017 6:49:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I could start up an apothecary long enough to distill a zillion ink into blood, and I'll do that if needed, but I would rather get my own.

In the past, when I needed things like black, gold, or white enamel/paint/cloth, I would approach apoth owners and see if they could make me a bunch if I supplied the raw materials. Usually, my hearties would be happy to make some, but I was careful to not be too much of a pain. I would have everything ready first, and I would do large batches that would last me months so I would keep pestering them.

I eventually opened up my own apoth/weavery because the markup on a single batch of gold stuff was more than the opening costs and the number of players had dropped enough to make it hard to find willing owners.

I may end up doing that, especially if paint prices on my island have risen to the point where it's profitable to make paint again, but I was hoping to try a different way first. Besides, IIRC, you're on a sub ocean. Dub oceans add ~30k in dub fees to stall opening costs.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 3, 2017 8:18:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

Once upon a time, when Midnight was still young, I remember going on KB hunts with a semi-elite sloop. 5 people (NEVER more!) and 1 KB in the hold when you first deport. 6 or 8 hours of non-stop puzzling later, we'd port, usually with 5 or 6 KB added to the original 1. Mind you, there was a lot of re-charting, and sailing back and forth over known "blood routes" and I doubt anyone would do a 6 hour sloop run nowadays, but .. there it is.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Apr 4, 2017 7:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Having a KB in the hold doesn't have an effect on whether you win another one.

Pillaging on the harder routes for your ocean should increase the likelihood of winning a KB. You can also go hunting for the merchant ships, though winning KB isn't a guarantee there either.

On Cerulean, the most difficult part of the ocean to pillage on is the back-half of Ruby (Islay of Luthien --> Lynx Island --> Olivia Isle --> Midsummer).

Inter-arch routes are also good routes on which to try and win KB.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Apr 18, 2017 9:21:34 PM]
[Apr 5, 2017 11:58:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I think the target needs to be Imperial, but apart from that it's a random drop. Small ships are better because the battles (and frays) are typically faster and you can job them faster, and you share the KB between fewer people.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 18, 2017 3:57:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates