• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3032 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Forculus
Developer

[Testing needed] Client scaling for 4k displays Reply to this Post

I've just released a couple updates to Ice to scale up the size of the Puzzle Pirates client when using a 4k monitor, as some players have reported problems with the client being too small to use. If anyone with a 4k or similar HD monitor has a chance, could you please try launching the Ice client and report back here? I'd be interested to know if the client window seems to be too big, too small, or working as expected.

It would be helpful if you could share your screen resolution, and the Puzzle Pirates client resolution you're running at (shown in the Options panel). You can use /bug to report your results if you'd rather not make a forum post. Thank you!
[Mar 17, 2017 12:53:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: [Testing needed] Client scaling for 4k displays Reply to this Post

I've just released a couple updates to Ice to scale up the size of the Puzzle Pirates client when using a 4k monitor, as some players have reported problems with the client being too small to use.

Thanks for looking into this. It's not a problem I currently face (sadly), but one I'm anticipating at some point.
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 17, 2017 3:09:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

First piece of feedback... make it so I can still access my options button when I make it taller than my screen so I don't have to manually edit the registry :)
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Mar 18, 2017 12:34:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uino59

I'm more than happy to run any tests you need to get this implemented, the only reason I stopped playing was that the new laptop I bought had a 4k resolution which made everything in the YPP screen too tiny to use! I have to get about 2 inches from the screen to read what people type in chat!

My screen's resolution is 3840 x 2160.

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about how resolutions and dpi scaling work, so there is probably something incredibly simple that I'm not doing to make it work, so apologies in advance for any hand holding required.

First off, here's a photo of how the scaling currently looks:

And here's one of what settings I have selected, if you can make them out:

I've ticked the box "DPI Aware for 4k displays" and have restarted the client but haven't seen any noticeable change.

Here is what my current display settings look like:

Any pointers towards what I'm not doing correctly, or anything you'd like me to try would be much appreciated.
Cannonloader on Sage;
Uino on Midnight.

Avatar by the fantastic Cattrin.
[May 29, 2017 7:09:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

I'm more than happy to run any tests you need to get this implemented, the only reason I stopped playing was that the new laptop I bought had a 4k resolution which made everything in the YPP screen too tiny to use! I have to get about 2 inches from the screen to read what people type in chat!

I'd be lying if I said I knew much about how resolutions and dpi scaling work, so there is probably something incredibly simple that I'm not doing to make it work, so apologies in advance for any hand holding required.

I've ticked the box "DPI Aware for 4k displays" and have restarted the client but haven't seen any noticeable change.

Any pointers towards what I'm not doing correctly, or anything you'd like me to try would be much appreciated.

I still have the same issues so I bug reported it.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[May 29, 2017 9:35:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Moved images to imgur, in case anyone wants to view them more easily.

Image 1 (how scaling currently looks): http://i.imgur.com/SUq8HQg.png
Image 2 (game settings): http://i.imgur.com/wMaRoBk.png
Image 3 (windows display settings): http://i.imgur.com/779f2uQ.png

uino59: I'm going to PM you the URL you'd need to delete these images, so that you can have them removed from imgur at your discretion.
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[May 29, 2017 2:04:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

uino59 wrote: 

Could you post a picture of your "Advanced display settings"? (blue link at the bottom of image 3) Also, what happens to the Puzzle Pirates client if you change that slider currently set at 250%, say to 100% instead? You'll probably need to relaunch the client Window for it to have any effect.

uino59 wrote: 

If the "DPI Aware" checkbox didn't help in this situation, I would leave it unchecked, since it could prevent other fixes from working.

There are a couple settings that another player reported some degree of success with in the past, which you could experiment to see if it makes any difference for you:
  • If you right-click on your Puzzle Pirates shortcut icon, then open the "Compatibility" tab, there is a "Disable display scaling" checkbox you can try checking. If you are running the game through Steam, you apply this setting to the "javaw.exe" file in "java_vm/bin/".
  • Also in the compatibility tab, you can select to "Run this program in compatibiliy mode for" Windows XP.

If neither of those things help, make sure to switch them back to how they were before so they don't introduce new problems.

I haven't figured out why the 4k display scaling doesn't work in some situations like this, it seems like it must be some specific configuration that introduces problems. Could you post your Java version (shown in "Ye" -> "Options"), operating system version, and graphics card? Maybe we can figure out what things players with this issue have in common.

majestrate wrote: 
Moved images to imgur, in case anyone wants to view them more easily.

Thank you for fixing this!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Forculus at May 30, 2017 8:57:31 AM]
[May 30, 2017 8:51:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benlie

I was doing my weekly check-in on the forums looking for news on Dark Seas, and was happy to find this thread and learn that others also experience my 4K resolution problem.

I tested on the current Ice what I had tried before, and also tested again on the Steam client to see if the problem persisted.

It still doesn't work, to me atleast.

Youtube recording (17 min) kind of showing my game problem:
https://youtu.be/E4mYxKC6pNA

Excel spreadsheed of results (24 different configurations per game version):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k7jkQ7Jd4TxGRmu9Dh6VvQPcsg7h5xFIO_eiZdbAu-Q/edit?usp=sharing
[Jun 4, 2017 1:45:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zxyz

DPI scaling by default does not appear to work on a clean Windows 10 install from my testing (3200x1800 resolution, Dell XPS 1943). Here is the fix that worked for me:

• Right click the shortcut on your desktop.
  • Select the "Compatibility" tab at the top.
  • Select "Override high DPI scaling behaviour"
  • For "Scaling performed by" select System
  • Save the settings

And you're done. Hope this can help someone else.
[Jul 4, 2017 9:25:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Thank you for posting this!
[Jul 4, 2017 9:41:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
101deathlord

Still no fix for me. If anyone has any other ideas that would be great as I'm willing to try anything. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.
[Jul 21, 2017 8:54:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zxyz

Can you give more information about your OS and your screen resolution?

It works fine for me, here are my settings: http://imgur.com/a/MtS9R
Before and after: http://imgur.com/a/tjjXr
[Jul 22, 2017 12:17:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates