• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8635 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
Croceye

Meridians Future Reply to this Post

So lets be honest here guys, you trying to kill the ocean without saying it ? Cause it bloody is starting to look like it.

First off you announce you create a new ocean to only be launched in the steam client, which from what i hear and heard, playing the game off steam is crap, something along the lines of lag and crashing ? Not only that your promoting the PVP aspect further which leads into hatred towards others and broken relationships which i find very sad.
Flags and blockades had already done that before you had started thinking about this new ocean.
Sega once owned this game and literally throw it in the dumpster, then re-brought by Grey Havens for even more money than what Sega gave them in the first place.
This was a light at the end of the tunnel everybody had hoped for, Puzzle Pirates will start to come alive again, with possible new content being added for attracting new eyes to the game. However this has not happened and i am greatly ashamed to see this happen to the game, the death of Puzzle Pirates. The population on here before used to thrive, so much was to be done, so much fun to be had, then a merge happened to increase the population again once it had gone down, that's when Viridian became Meridian.

Its has supposedly been said that merging between Meridian and Emerald is not going to happen, explain to me why? What is there to lose at the end of the day? The fact your just going to let the ocean population get slimmer by the day is saddening. Ever thought about what if people still like the play the old way? The way fun is to be had? You say to us without saying it, "all move to one ocean", and ill make this bloody clear, i have far to much invested into one ocean (Meridian) to move on over to restart just to be able to do stuff? To sell everything to just re-buy it again on a new ocean (Emerald)? Its stupidity at its finest! I mean its ok to those who already have a account with expensive, well earned items, but have you ever taken the time to ever think about those who will have to restart from scratch?
Now i know there will be comments mentioning the fact to sell everything on Meridian then re-buy it again on Emerald, ill have you know that I do know that, however the dub prices are at an inexcusable price (5k+ a dub), when you come to sell them again on Emerald you don't get half as much back and some items will prove hard / impossible to get again.
One of my dearest hearties owned a very rare furniture piece on Meridian, one i doubt people would be willing to sell for a decent price on emerald.

My major point being this, merging is the way to be fair to everybody, saying to those on Meridian to dump everything they have worked for on the game to just attempt to re-buy on Emerald or work for again is sickening and very unfair, compared to those who have already made a life on emerald long before all this crap started to hit the fan.

Another point to be made on this new ocean though is that its all PVP related, I loved to do things like pillys and SMH maps etc... But now to be having the thought of, hmm if i go out i could be attacked at anytime ? could be sunk, meaning what was meant to be fun has now turned into hatred and annoyance. My point being, on these oceans remaining at the moment allow you to have fun, not many people go out there way to attack another anymore.

There are things in which can be done on these oceans still to improve it! Merge both of the oceans for a start, I can't stress this enough! What is there to lose? The population on Meridian lately is shocking, for the mornings and afternoons for myself, mainly hold the player count of 60-80, evening we just about hit over 110, but not a lot i would imagine could happen in the evening for people cause of school and work.
Dub prices, start to intervene a little? i mean i remember to the days they were 1k below... make them a fair price of 2-3k per, you may start to hold back those who start the game from new than leave after knowing how much work they have to put into the game to just get something as simple as a badge or a simple piece of furniture or a ship...
Instead of investing money into this new ocean, make whats left count on the old ones? At the end of the day isn't that the part people loved about this game and the reason they joined it in the first place?

Its the simple things you know what counts towards keeping the game alive and running and the people happy.

Please i beg of you not the delete this thread nor prevent others from commenting, we all have a right to share our views on this whole situation and this is mine. I believe i could of gone on further but ill leave it at this for now. Thank you for taking the time to read this, the new ocean isn't all bad, but I just felt instead of creating another one, all this time and effort should of been used to making the old ones even better than they are right now.
[Mar 5, 2017 5:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Re: Meridians Future Reply to this Post

Welcome to the forums, thanks for not paying attention, basically at all to anything anyone else has been posting about the death of the game for literally the past 10 years.

You have said nothing that hasn't already been said. And frankly meridian is still well off compared to cerulean (subscriber) which has been in decline since the doub oceans were originally added.

I normally don't care when people post new forums about same old topics, but the length of yours has encouraged me to speak up.
----------------------------------------
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Mar 5, 2017 6:41:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
Croceye

Welcome to the forums, thanks for not paying attention, basically at all to anything anyone else has been posting about the death of the game for literally the past 10 years.

You have said nothing that hasn't already been said. And frankly meridian is still well off compared to cerulean (subscriber) which has been in decline since the doub oceans were originally added.

I normally don't care when people post new forums about same old topics, but the length of yours has encouraged me to speak up.

Whats the problem of showing my opinion ? Don't care about the subscriber ocean, wonder why its doing crap? Because people don't want to have to pay to play, some people actually want to play for free.
The option of buying dubs is always there, im sure people still do it, that's why i said to make it 2-3k per dub so it can still encourage, when it was at 1k a dub years ago people may not of done it as much, but 5k a piece is beyond a joke.

And quit trying to be a smart ass with your first comment? I'm not going to be looking through all the threads ever made and look for something similar to what i want to post in. I'm concerned at this moment in time.
[Mar 5, 2017 7:34:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dottyholt

Totally agree with croceye, don't care if it's all been said before, it needs to be said again, as it seems the gamers really don't give a rats ass what happens to this game lately. My question is this, why buy the damned game back if you are only gonna let it die? And, for more money then what you originally sold it for. Must be losing your marbles. Pffft PP is more than just an iconic game with outstanding
gameplay, puzzles, pillies, all kinds, and most of all the people. I have played this game for nearly 12 years now. Have seen all the changes as well. It totally saddens me at the price of dubs, the low player base, it gets worse every day and nothing is done about it. Then why bother buying the game back, that's the 64 thousand dollar question.

Then you go and make another ocean, where players pvp each other? Lovely, just lovely, like there's not enough competition between people as it is, friendships broken up over this crap, and now you all are gonna make it worse? Wow!!!!!

Total shame really, I love puzzle pirates, always will, especially all the close friendships I have made over these past close to 12 yrs. All the ships I have purchased, my houses, familiars, stats, etc., etc. I will not be starting all over if this game goes down. I will, however, stay on Merdian till it is no more, as they say, this Captain will go down with her ships.

It has been my pleasure tho, to have met most of my Angels through the years, you all are awesome people. And it has been my pleasure to be the head of such a wonderful and amazing crew. This pirate, loves you all, always & forever.
Solame
[Mar 5, 2017 7:46:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dottyholt@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Yanojr

It's always good to express your opinions and im glad you guys did... First of all you can pvp unwantedly on any ocean at any current time and trust me i have done it on meridian and will do it agsin... If not at war its not sinky... Understand thats not part you guys will enjoy, but a lot of people will, the new release is for everyone not just you guys....

The point being steam only is, #1 advertising, steam will offer a bigger player base providing new players and advertising as a new release for pp... Most of todays new players come from steam.. kiewie is relatively new and came from steam... Also saying steam is bad from something you "heard" is saying a platform with millions of users and millions of game developers which gets updated all the time is bad because a friend of a friend said it is ummmm well you know lmao. #2 alts. Playing through steam allows one version of the ypp client at a time, so no more having 1 human using o manipulating 5 pirates at 1 time....

About the merge i feel the same, but that wouldnt help dub prices, only continue to hurt them.... Second of all dub prices are generated by the players and grey havens has no connection with it. If i post an offer for 1k dubs at 6k then i as a player am doing wrong. What they could do is make it so players cant sell nor buy dubs. So you will need to pay real money to get dubs... Other than that is the players who sell dubs at those prices...

I have 100% respect for what solame says about going down with the ship.... But lets be honest, merging wont do anything except hurt the game even more... What the game needed was a new direction for it to have a future.. how does a game make more revenue? Coming out with an other version. So people can fight/pay their way to the top again... Pp offers many activities not only pvp... Just like in any ocean you dont have to engage and you can be forced into a pvp... Dont want to sink well then chart wisely and use the map to see enemies coming up ahead...

As a company view they made the correct direction, as a player playing for years and having friends played for years, it will suck leaving everything behind, but meridian is a ship with holes and no bilgers. Sooner or later its meeting davy jones... So why fix whats already going under. When you can just make somethig new.... Either way, the plan is to make room for NEW people... Having pirates dominate that are 14 years old isnt attractive to nee people.... Having a fair chance at a fresh start, a new release meaning equal battle grounds... That's attractive to new people... We can complain about how the ocean is dying but most of us were in college 14 years ago. Most have kids spouses, responsibility and will continue to go inactive, what ypp needs is a new audience... How will a merge give them that?
[Mar 5, 2017 10:45:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Croceye

It's always good to express your opinions and im glad you guys did... First of all you can pvp unwantedly on any ocean at any current time and trust me i have done it on meridian and will do it agsin... If not at war its not sinky... Understand thats not part you guys will enjoy, but a lot of people will, the new release is for everyone not just you guy...

Thanks Yanojr for your thought :), just thought I should say though as it should of been something i needed to add, I understand the fact its for everybody not just myself and maybe a couple of others.
I know that there are people hyped for this new puzzle pirates, and I will be paying a visit myself to check it out, may even play.
However I just find it useless to have a ocean which is losing multiple people a day to just sit there. I worry about the player count sinking to 40-60, Big ships then will be history as no one will be able to have a continues safe amount of pirates on board for whatever you are hosting.

I understand the dub prices are player generated, though I had a thought something could be done like a borderline, cant sell dubs more than (...).

Lastly i realise you can pvp whenever already, but its going to be far less i believe on here than it is going to be on this new ocean. Have yet to find out.
[Mar 6, 2017 6:48:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

i wonder if there are any irl examples or governments capping currency exchange rates

i wonder how that worked out
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Mar 6, 2017 9:13:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

The earth undergoes constant change, if those who live in it are unwilling to adapt, then they are left behind.

Switch oceans.

I'll see this post to Davy Jones Locker.
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Mar 6, 2017 10:57:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penguinbr

I agree with most of Yanojr's post. In addition, I don't think GH idea is bad at all, by giving a reshape in mostly every aspect of Puzzle Pirates. The game has been the same since 2003, and as some may enjoy it, most the public doesn't. If the playerbase was big enough, then the change probably wouldn't have happened. As a company, Grey Havens looks for a balance between gaining profits and keeping a solid player base.
Advertising is not the answer for everything. I don't think advertising the current version of Puzzle Pirates, with a low playerbase, dead oceans, glitches, bots, poe buyers (...) just won't attract anyone new to the game, while recreating aspects of the game into a new client only acessible through Steam (The biggest gaming community) seems to be a very reasonable path.
I understand your frustration, I understand your losses, we are all losing items with the price of moving to a new ocean (For example, I'm losing about 200 ships, being a lot of them renamed), but I think it's all for the best.
Penguinbr
Monarch of the flag Sink or Swim
Just havin' fun and gathering new haters/fans <3

Meridian sucks, that's why I'm there.
[Mar 6, 2017 1:38:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cafefrio.net [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

i wonder if there are any irl examples or governments capping currency exchange rates

i wonder how that worked out

In the real world we have banks. And we have the federal reserve in the US, which alters the money supply through T-bills.

It wouldn't hurt anyone if Grey Havens discreetly reduced the poe supply and increasing the dub supply by magicking up dubs and selling them thru the exchange, and over time, the exchange price would be lowered.
-Gagundss
[Mar 6, 2017 2:33:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It wouldn't hurt anyone if Grey Havens discreetly reduced the poe supply and increasing the dub supply by magicking up dubs and selling them thru the exchange, and over time, the exchange price would be lowered.

Black Boxes were the best thing that ever happened to the Doubloon Exchange. The prices were headed in the right direction and then some genius got the idea to create Gold Boxes which turned the market on its head again. This is just one small example of a game feature which influenced the doubloon market without needing to sneakily and illicitly intervene in such ways as you describe.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Mar 6, 2017 2:41:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Black Boxes were the best thing that ever happened to the Doubloon Exchange. The prices were headed in the right direction and then some genius got the idea to create Gold Boxes which turned the market on its head again. This is just one small example of a game feature which influenced the doubloon market without needing to sneakily and illicitly intervene in such ways as you describe.

Increasing poe sinks (and balancing poe fountains) has always been a long term problem for the game that has never been addressed and which we are now feeling the effects of. Clearly the guys who are implementing the game have little to no experience with economics. (Or they could already be intervening already at the moment, preventing dubs from being 10k. If so, they should probably ramp up their efforts.)

Yea, they could go down the black box route again for sinks. Maybe a mega black box for 100k ea. But an even faster way to drain more poe out of the game would be the method i proposed. I haven't got a clue why you called it illicit? If you're concerned about the magicking up part, consider the fact that they magick up money all the time in the form of free tournies. And it shouldn't hurt their revenue as i doubt people are that much more incentivized to buy dubs at 4k vs say 2k.
-Gagundss
[Mar 6, 2017 9:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

your solution is to reduce poe supply defeating the whole point of cheaper dubs

if you need dubs just buy them w/ $ and support the actual game
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Mar 6, 2017 10:12:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Paulisma

The OMs have always been lackluster taking players opinions in mind until shortly ago. Lowering just dub prices in this game isn't going to increase the community a lot I imagine, so there is not a lot in it for OMs to do it because it'd make buying dubs less attractive to buy for $. Emerald and Meridian have turned out into milking places and that money is being used to somehow get this game back on track by introducing Obisidian. If you're still thinking they're killing this game off on purpose after introducing the new ocean you have no value to add to this game.

As both Meridian and Emerald player I wouldn't see why merging both oceans together would be good for Emerald, just how I never saw the point of adding Malachite to Viridian.
hi im kev
#FreeOceancool
Pauldancer&Paulisma
[Mar 7, 2017 12:30:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

gagund wrote: 
LJAmethyst wrote: 
gagund wrote: 

Increasing poe sinks (and balancing poe fountains) has always been a long term problem for the game that has never been addressed and which we are now feeling the effects of. Clearly the guys who are implementing the game have little to no experience with economics. (Or they could already be intervening already at the moment, preventing dubs from being 10k. If so, they should probably ramp up their efforts.)

Yea, they could go down the black box route again for sinks. Maybe a mega black box for 100k ea. But an even faster way to drain more poe out of the game would be the method i proposed. I haven't got a clue why you called it illicit? If you're concerned about the magicking up part, consider the fact that they magick up money all the time in the form of free tournies. And it shouldn't hurt their revenue as i doubt people are that much more incentivized to buy dubs at 4k vs say 2k.

I like the Mega-BB idea. :o
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Mar 7, 2017 4:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

To those whom are not trained in monetary economics, a short but brief lesson follows;

If you increase PoE sinks, you decrease the availability of the most liquidable form of currency in the economy. Due to the incredible amount of volume of PoE in circulation, the effects will be marginal at best. I would recommend another alternative.

This is holding doubloon supply constant. Which includes people who purchases doubloons monthly, and provided the great Tzz still holds his massive amount of doubloons ;)

For those players who believe they know monetary economics, it is a very touchy and tricky subject. It cannot be applied with the same knowledge as we use policy indicators in the real world because there exists other endogenous variables. These include the interest rate, unemployment, inflation, etc. These do not exist in YPP.

Therefore, one short term solution would be for YPP to increase the supply of doubloons, or increasing the $/doubloon for those who purchase them. This is only a short term solution, and could hurt GH's margin.

Tldr; stop with the PoE sinks. Think outside the box. This is not the real world economy.
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Doulber at Mar 7, 2017 7:47:15 AM]
[Mar 7, 2017 7:28:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yanojr

The OMs have always been lackluster taking players opinions in mind until shortly ago. Lowering just dub prices in this game isn't going to increase the community a lot I imagine, so there is not a lot in it for OMs to do it because it'd make buying dubs less attractive to buy for $. Emerald and Meridian have turned out into milking places and that money is being used to somehow get this game back on track by introducing Obisidian. If you're still thinking they're killing this game off on purpose after introducing the new ocean you have no value to add to this game.

As both Meridian and Emerald player I wouldn't see why merging both oceans together would be good for Emerald, just how I never saw the point of adding Malachite to Viridian.

Is kev spitting that fire????
[Mar 7, 2017 8:30:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Tandecker

I'm on the fence.

On one hand, I'm with Sol. I go down with my ships. I don't want to start all over. Some of my most precious things were given to me by close friends. And I talked with everyone I know lately and most say they are not moving.

On the other hand, I don't want to see what happened to Veridian, when Malachite was merged, to happen to Emerald... And we all know that death march is coming.

I just don't have a good solution to contribute.
Tandecker, Captain of Immortal Pirates, King of Smoke & Mirrors
Meridian, dock tart on all other oceans

Magister Navis Patrician
illegitimi non carborundum
obscurum per obscurius
odi profanum vulgus et arceo
omnia dicta fortiora[/
[Mar 11, 2017 6:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Croceye

To those who have mentioned the dub prices and economics of them being brought for $, ill say this, them being at the 4.5k mark at the moment is terrible, lowering them to a fair amount like 2-3k per would be great.

Reason for this, is because whats the point in buying dubs for $ if the game is dying? People are not going to be looking at this option any longer as whatever is going to be brought with those dubs is soon going to die off, so say i brought 500 dubs in the game, 3 months time I just lost out on a lot of money due to the ocean being dead.

I know some may question the logic in that but it was a example of people not looking to buy dubs any longer or very many which again, doesn't generate enough money for the game any longer.

Simpler terms, whats the point in buying dubloons with $ for a dying game, lower the price of them to 2-3k, THEN you may start to keep newer players back and then maybe they could decide to buy dubs with $
[Mar 14, 2017 8:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
roxmewild

I totaly agree with you mate it saddens me to see the rapid decline of Meridian and like you was shocked at the intention to start another island regardless of it being on steam which i have no accsess too anyway.
If you cant take care of the main stay islands why on earth would you introduce others?? it only damages the original islands and makes no sense to me?

It has got to the stage now that if Meridian and Emerald are not merged Meridian will DIE of that I am sure to be honest it is practicaly dead as I type

Grey Havens if you have any loyalty to the original islands then please merge them before Meridian bites the dust
Jezzabelle Captain of The Dog;s Do Dahs ;)

I used to enjoy the challenge of bettering my puzzling skills to maybe one day obtaining an Ultimate ranking!

Ahh those were the days now I settle for mediocricy cause botters have taken over :(
[Apr 11, 2017 2:42:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ak62

The oceans dead lets just all accept it for what it is. We're down to less than 100 active people at most times during the day, so its most likely going to come to switching to Obsidian when it opens, or waiting around on Merid until they eventually shut it down and Obsidian is the only option that's left to go to.
Camouflages - Meridian/Emerald

[Apr 11, 2017 11:39:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

We're down to less than 100 active people at most times during the day,

Pft, Cerulean gets to ~40-50 on a good day. Start complaining then.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Apr 11, 2017 11:49:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change

nothing stays permanent - not even relationship bcos it could either grow stronger or simply just grow apart (without having to dislike one another)

It has got to the stage now that if Meridian and Emerald are not merged Meridian will DIE of that I am sure to be honest it is practicaly dead as I type
Malachite was in that situation before being merged with Viridian, and if it takes ~5yrs for Meridian to arrive at the same situation then it probably takes the proposed merger of Emerald+Meridian to "die" in what? 3 years time?

yes, i admit that i too would love to "play for free" but this attitude of only wanting to play for free (eg complaining abt high dub exchange rate etc) is not fair to Grey Haven or whoever operates the game as there are cost incurred to maintain the game (server upkeep, developer/programmer's wage and whatnot)

The Fate of the Furious is screening on theatres soon
why would i want to fork out $$ to watch it?
why not wait 1-2yrs before i watch it for free on the tv?
i'll pay to watch bcos i could enjoy it now instead of 2yrs later

Reason for this, is because whats the point in buying dubs for $ if the game is dying? People are not going to be looking at this option any longer as whatever is going to be brought with those dubs is soon going to die off, so say i brought 500 dubs in the game, 3 months time I just lost out on a lot of money due to the ocean being dead.
if you enjoys this game and the puzzles etc, then you are buying dubs now to enjoy it now... puzzle pirates is just a game... one should not be looking at buying dubs the same way one looks at real life investments (stocks, property etc)

pretty much like the example cited above on the new movie launch.. one should look at buying dubs as "i'm paying to enjoy the game now" rather than "what's going to happen 3 mths later"
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Apr 12, 2017 4:35:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates