• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6991 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
jlh0605

Feb 28th release (trade chat channel), Mark II sloop questions/suggestions Reply to this Post

I support the idea of the trade channel, given the limitation of speech once every few minutes, as noted.

I have several questions. First, are there any minimum requirements to get on the trade channel? (yellow-named pirate, for instance) I can see both good and bad with requiring this. Good being it makes it harder for "innspammer" alts to bypass the chat limitation, bad being that it makes it harder for legitimate greenie to sell their hard-won furniture item.

Second question: Is "Mark II" simply another class of sloop? The icon (plus) seems to appear as a class of sloop, but the name isn't "Sloop (Mark II Class)", but rather "Sloop Mark II". Is the difference between "Mark II" and "class" purely cosmetic? How does it appear in shoppe management screens? On ship deeds? On sunken ship bottles? On a ship sailing at sea? I would assume that in sea battle shots, it would appear as a regular sloop, like all other classes do.

Third question: Will the Mark II be purchasable on Ice? I can see the argument either way. On the one hand, it doesn't give any substantial benefit to a regular sloop, so why not make it purchasable? On the other hand, it doesn't give any benefit, so why does it need to be made purchasable?

Somewhat related question: Will the few LE sloops not made in the Mark II style ever be made available in the Mark II style? (Offhand, I can think of Emerald and Frost, but there are probably a few other early LE sloops.)

I also have several suggestions. The first suggestion could apply to both the trade channel and to the /greeter channel: Would it be possible, upon logging in, to get a message stating simply "Ye are currently not in the trade channel. If ye desire to join the channel, simply type /tmute"? (Obviously slightly modified for greeter, and also if you are already in the channel). The reason I ask is this: I usually have greeter on, but if chat is particularly bugging me, or if I know I'll be somewhat AFK, then I like to log out of greeter. There have been times where it has been weeks before I realized that I never logged back in. With the trade channel, I feel like for me personally, I will be leaving and joining that channel far more often, and it might be nice to have a gentle reminder on occasion if I turned it off and forgot about it.

The second suggestion: Would it be possible to put in a pirate's options the ability to automatically join and/or leave trade chat? For example, I'd probably want to join it most of the time I'm entering an inn, but would probably want to leave it most of the time I'm going on board a ship. Along these lines, I think it would be preferable to have it turned off automatically (perhaps forcibly) when entering sinking expeditions / flotillas / SMH's.

The third suggestion: Would it be possible, at least while still on Ice, for there to be an event ship aboard the "Sloop Mark II", so that one can see it prior to ordering it? Seeing it could also answer some of my questions about it.

Another suggestion: Would it be possible to make a second (small) room in the hold of the Mark II? I know that for decorators / collectors, an extra room would likely be a good thing.

Edit(s): Adding suggestions/questions
----------------------------------------
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 3 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Feb 28, 2017 8:06:44 PM]
[Feb 28, 2017 7:34:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

Re: Feb 28th release (trade chat channel), Mark II sloop questions/suggestions Reply to this Post

as posted in the other thread, i do have a problem with the mark 2 icon (which works as any icon does, Jamesh, it's the same in any context). is the plan to only have these two? if yes, then instead of a misleading +, it could simply be flipped. we'll find it odd at first, but after a few months we'll forget one had a decade's advance on the market (i can't remember the old notice board, for instance).
since it seems to need mentioning -- mark II is basic! it's meant to be functional not for collections. tiny bit of variety in plain sloops.

nice look for the trade chat, if very similar in colour to shipboard messages (but don't change it, yellow's good and the edges are distinctive enough). i agree there with all points (yellow name, reminders, options and disabling in high-risk contexts). i like that it's going to move some of the selling game back into the actual game and that you don't have to lima-sit, but i can see people being frustrated that it won't match their habits: you can't bid in the same chat unless it's several minutes apart, you have to learn how to spell (pirates' names, for negotiations in tells) and it's not who clicks the seller first, but who invites first. trifles, in my opinion, but things to be expected nonetheless.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Mar 1, 2017 1:56:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Re: Feb 28th release (trade chat channel), Mark II sloop questions/suggestions Reply to this Post

as posted in the other thread, i do have a problem with the mark 2 icon (which works as any icon does, Jamesh, it's the same in any context). is the plan to only have these two? if yes, then instead of a misleading +, it could simply be flipped.

Or just make the plus smaller and less conspicuous. It doesn't need to be as visible as an LE icon.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Mar 1, 2017 3:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

jlh0605 wrote: 
I have several questions. First, are there any minimum requirements to get on the trade channel? (yellow-named pirate, for instance)

No requirements at the moment, but we can definitely add some as necessary.

jlh0605 wrote: 
Second question: Is "Mark II" simply another class of sloop? The icon (plus) seems to appear as a class of sloop, but the name isn't "Sloop (Mark II Class)", but rather "Sloop Mark II". Is the difference between "Mark II" and "class" purely cosmetic?

Yes, the difference is purely cosmetic. There had been some requests in the past to provide access to this updated version of the sloop, see here, for example. This will also allow us to start giving out painted versions in the mystery boxes.

jlh0605 wrote: 
How does it appear in shoppe management screens? On ship deeds? On sunken ship bottles? On a ship sailing at sea? I would assume that in sea battle shots, it would appear as a regular sloop, like all other classes do.

Basically, it's implemented like a simple LE ship, with the difference being that it will be available all the time. This isn't going to be a big deal to most players, it's mostly just a small update to include a version of the sloop that's a little nicer for ship decorators.

Regarding your other comments about the sloop and trade chat channel, I'd like to wait and get some further feedback. For the trade channel especially, we'll keep an eye on things and do what's necessary to keep it from becoming a nuisance to players.

saintdiana wrote: 
as posted in the other thread, i do have a problem with the mark 2 icon

I'll pass this along to our arrrtist and discuss some ideas.
[Mar 1, 2017 4:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
judygardner

It would be nice if we could paint more of the ships walls and especially the deck.

Thank you

Pi on ICE
[Mar 1, 2017 7:20:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Forculus, how about implementing a subroutine for searching one's chat history for a specific phrase or a conversation with someone? For example, being able to search for a ship type in the trade chat channel would be nice. :3
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Mar 2, 2017 4:52:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Forculus, how about implementing a subroutine for searching one's chat history for a specific phrase or a conversation with someone? For example, being able to search for a ship type in the trade chat channel would be nice. :3

what I did about ten years ago:

1) Turn on the game's chat log file

2) Use grep

For those that aren't computer literate, yeah, sorry, it sucks to not know modern stuff and depend on others.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Mar 2, 2017 8:53:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

wrs1864b wrote: 
Gunnerfreak wrote: 

2) Use grep

For those that aren't computer literate, yeah, sorry, it sucks to not know modern stuff and depend on others.

Yeah, I know that. But it would be nice to be able to do that while in-game for the non-computer literates.
[Mar 2, 2017 9:15:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Yes, the difference is purely cosmetic. There had been some requests in the past to provide access to this updated version of the sloop, see here, for example. This will also allow us to start giving out painted versions in the mystery boxes.

Dear Forculus,
I just might have to pledge my heart AND SOUL to you. Don't tell Apollo.
~ Dex
(THANK YOU SO MUCH!!)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Mar 3, 2017 9:56:50 AM]
[Mar 3, 2017 9:55:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

wrs1864b wrote: 
Gunnerfreak wrote: 

2) Use grep

Yeah, I know that. But it would be nice to be able to do that while in-game for the non-computer literates.

There are programs out there that can read log files while they're being written to. Search definitely works in them. You can also do things like have them filter for key words and alert you when those key words are found.

It's not the same as having a search feature in the gaming environment, but it's a fairly flexible option until such time that what you're looking for is implemented.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Mar 10, 2017 6:12:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

majestrate wrote: 
Gunnerfreak wrote: 
wrs1864b wrote: 
Gunnerfreak wrote: 

2) Use grep

There are programs out there that can read log files while they're being written to. Search definitely works in them. You can also do things like have them filter for key words and alert you when those key words are found.

It's not the same as having a search feature in the gaming environment, but it's a fairly flexible option until such time that what you're looking for is implemented.

I know. Search in wordpad, yay. :p
[Mar 10, 2017 7:57:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

What are you even talking about? No. Things like "log-watch":

http://www.satisfice.com/tools.shtml

(scroll to the bottom of the page to see that specific tool)

Edit: There are other log readers for Windows too. With various features. If you're good with just highlighting key words, you can even get a tool from Microsoft called "CMTrace". If you can't find it on your own, and would like some links, let me know.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 2 times, last edit by majestrate at Mar 10, 2017 11:06:05 AM]
[Mar 10, 2017 11:02:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

heres an idea

what if instead of having a global chat channel that 90% of people are going to disable everyone just agreed to use discord, a clearly superior tool for the modern age
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Mar 10, 2017 12:18:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

heres an idea

what if instead of having a global chat channel that 90% of people are going to disable everyone just agreed to use discord, a clearly superior tool for the modern age

What if instead of hacking in a lame chat channel they implement a real bazaar/exchange for used items?

The logistics of a global chat channel are horrendous.

There isn't going to be just spam from sellers, there will be plenty of would-be buyers who can't use /tell.

There will also be lots of chatter between people trying to find each other on the ocean. At least in an Inn, you were in the same scene and could usually kinda find each other to send a trade request. Now you've got invites flying and negotiating who's going to come where.

Is this going to supplant the Inns? The only way that will happen is if OMs crack down strictly on trading in Inns. Chase out all the sellers and require them to use global chat. I am not sure about the wisdom of this suggestion anyway - what does having quiet Inns buy us? Everyone knows you go to the Inn to be spammed and you buy your own carousing equipment if you want to avoid the spam.

It seems very lazy. Lots of games have real actual exchanges where you can place an item, price it, and it's sold on consignment or something. We already have racks in tailors, but other shoppekeepers still have no way to sell their wares. To make them resort to a global chat channel that will be widely reviled, is disappointing.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Mar 10, 2017 1:11:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
TIME111

Mark 1 crows nest
Mark 2 crows nest

Can we have the ability to paint the crows nest like the mark 2 on all ships?
Times,Sage

Apollo tells ye, "I can't help it if you live in a solar-disadvantaged country."
Vargas the Mad will save a special fate for Times.
Beware the Turtles of Terra

I like turtles a bit too much mwhahaha
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TIME111 at Mar 10, 2017 1:19:05 PM]
[Mar 10, 2017 1:13:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zeinasway

Instead of a trade chat channel, how about putting vending machines in the game? You already have racks in the tailors where people can see what is for sale and buy it for the asking price whether the owner is online or not.

Make a "rack" a furniture item and let people set it up in their stalls, shoppes, galleries etc. Let them put any item that they want to sell, be it clothing, weapons, familiars, ship deeds, trinkets, whatever, in the vending machine and set a price for the item.

Ship deeds may be a problem here because you would probably have to list where the ship is ported, and if it is painted and has original props intact. Also, it would make sense for people to be unable to board/use a ship if the deed is in a vending machine.

Just a thought,
Zeina
Ryujin says, "zeina = 3 gunner... she + allitara = guns full"
[Mar 18, 2017 10:01:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates