• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 147
Posts: 147   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28424 times and has 146 replies Next Thread
Forculus
Developer

Dark Seas: FAQ update Reply to this Post

I want to thank everyone for the great questions and discussion that came up in the Dark Seas announcement post. This has generated a lot of really great ideas and improvements as we're developing the new ocean and its new features. I wanted to take some time to address some more of the questions that came up in the announcement thread:

farmboy236 wrote: 
Will there be a one week buffer period where certain pirate names were protected, akin to ocean releases of the past?

We are planning to handle this in a similar way to past ocean openings. If you have the desired pirate name on the majority of the other oceans, there will be a period during which you can petition in and request it. You can read a bit about how we handled name reservations in a past ocean opening here: Malachite opening

jlh0605 wrote: 
Automatic PvP between light and dark - sinking or non-sinking?

It's currently configured so that battles between the two factions are sinking. We'd like for these battles to be meaningful and significant, and we want the war between the factions to be an important aspect of what makes this ocean different from the others. We're still open to suggestions as we make decisions about this aspect of the game, though.

jlh0605 wrote: 
Will crews/flags be bound to light or dark? If so, Can light-based flags ally with dark-based?

When a crew is created, it must decide which faction it will align with. When the flag is created, it will take on the same faction as the crew. Flags that have chosen different factions will always be at war.

jlh0605 wrote: 
Will there be neutral areas of the map, where all ships can sail safely? Low-risk, low-reward areas. No SMH's, no markets on islands (or make markets bound to only basic/ship supplies). This could allow new captains to practice bnav/pillaging in a place free from sinking/PvP.

We are planning to set up some neutral islands where new pirates will begin the game, to help guide them along before they decide on a faction. Perhaps this area could have some protections associated, we'll look into this more as the ocean layout is refined.

jlh0605 wrote: 
Will there be any carryover AT ALL from existing oceans, or to existing oceans? My understanding is no, but it'd be nice to have that confirmed.

There will not be any carryover, we want this to be a completely new start for those who choose to take part in Dark Seas.

wuppypuppy2 wrote: 
I'm assuming crews are entirely one one side or another-- if light vs dark isn't permanent, would you convert to one side or another upon joining a light or dark crew? And if it's permanent, will you be forever excluded from joining opposite-side crews?

The faction that the crew/flag chooses is intended to be permanent, but players are free to switch crews as a way of changing their alignment. We made this decision recently as it feels like a better fit, giving pirates the freedom to change if they really want to, while still making the crew/faction alignment significant and lasting.

mari_ wrote: 
Are you going to open this up plenty early for testing?

Gunnerfreak wrote: 
I have a question that no one has seemed to ask. Will there be alpha/beta testing or something of the like that us pirates can assist with?

We do intend to make the ocean available for a while before release so that we can get feedback and make changes. We'll post more information about this when the time comes.

mari_ wrote: 
Referencing shop destruction:

If the attackers win the island, is there a set number to how many shoppes they can destroy? (Like the current limit of dropping 2 per week new ones)

Will there still be a limit of new shoppes being dropped per week?

Will there be an option to take over the shoppe deed rather than destroying it (a little how outposts work now) in cases where its a shop type that is desired?

We're exploring some various options here, there are some interesting possibilities. Among other possibilities, were looking at transferring shoppe deeds, but there is potential for abuse by the original owner before the deed changes hands. We're also considering forcing the shoppes to go dark for a while before dusting, or allowing the new controlling flag to levy huge taxes on specific buildings as a way of influencing which shoppes are welcome and which are not. The goal is that a blockade will shift ownership of shops into the winners hands. We're open to suggestions on how to achieve this without a potential for abuse by either side.

I am also going to look into limiting new shoppes placed on islands in Dark Seas, as you mentioned.

mari_ wrote: 
Is the blockade format planned to be the same as the current one - weekends only, set window for them to happen?

That's the plan currently.

mari_ wrote: 
Will flags automatically be aligned to all other flags on "their side", thus making alliances defunct? And will you only be able to attack the other side? Or can you attack within your own side?

Two flags with the same faction are not automatically allied, they will still be able to declare war and make alliances like normal. However, flags with different factions are automatically at war and this is permanent.

olaffiej wrote: 
I haven't heard a lot of dev response from it, but the most important thing I want to see changed is very simply, a rake.

I've added support for a rake in Poker, so we'll try it out on Obsidian and see how it goes.

Crazymg wrote: 
Also Majestrate asked here about inn ownership changing as the flag owning the island changes, and it's something I'd love to see happen, it can be very disheartening having the majority of inns owned by dormant players.

I agree, I think we'll do something along those lines when a new controlling flag takes over the island.

Opsat wrote: 
But I have this idea that one should be able to pvp within the faction as well. As practice, you know. =P You don't want to go out to battle with zero experience. =P So pvp within your faction (light or dark) would be like training. It should be possible, and perhaps, you might want those to be non-sinking. ;)

This is how it works, unless you're at war with the flag you engage in PvP. So it is still possible to have non-sinking battles within your faction.

Vengfulsoul wrote: 
I am not sure if I am understanding what automatic pvp means. If it means, when naving in an area and you run next to a "dark" player the ship engagement is automatic and neither player can disengage I am very much against that. I love bnaving and would enjoy a nice pvp scene, don't think this is a good way to go about it.

Sorry for the confusion, that wasn't what I meant. By "automatic", I mean that crews/flags from different factions are automatically considered to be "at war". They don't have to declare it, and there will never be a truce. But no one is ever forced to attack another ship.

wippit wrote: 
Is it the same graphics? Of will the new launcher have a different graphics / game engine?

You'll notice some thematic changes to make the client feel more like Dark Seas, as well as some new icons and images in various panels, but underneath it is still the same client and character art that everyone is familiar with. We didn't add noses to the pirates. :)

xelto wrote: 
And my final concern: Thematically, I wouldn't really want to end up as one of their 'subjects'; I'm a free-spirited type of guy. I don't mind being on the same team as them, but... being under them just feels wrong. And I hope there might be some story elements beyond them in this new ocean, as well.

We're being careful to make sure both factions are sufficiently "piratey", and not have one side that's basically just the "good guys". Pirates will not tolerate being anyone's lackey!

Many people had good input on the faction theme/naming, and we've been putting together some more details on who these two factions are and what they're trying to achieve. We'll have another post here in Game Design soon with some additional info and images related to this.

I apologize that I couldn't respond to every question, but much is still in the works and things are changing each day. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas, and we'll continue to explore ways to make Dark Seas even better.
[Jan 26, 2017 7:32:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Re: Dark Seas: FAQ update Reply to this Post

Forculus wrote: 

mari_ wrote: 
Are you going to open this up plenty early for testing?

Gunnerfreak wrote: 
I have a question that no one has seemed to ask. Will there be alpha/beta testing or something of the like that us pirates can assist with?

We do intend to make the ocean available for a while before release so that we can get feedback and make changes. We'll post more information about this when the time comes.

Yay! Thanks, Forculus! :3
----------------------------------------
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Jan 26, 2017 7:43:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrLowKick

Hey!

Will there be come a new puzzle also with the opening of the new ocean ?
It is been a while were having a new puzzle in game! ;)
I'm a bit curious..
Maybe a new 2nd bilge puzzle!
I guess I'm not the only one who am waiting for a new puzzle! :)
In any case, I am glad that new changes in the game that I have been playing since the beginning!

Greetings Freakska, Emerald
Cader From Viridian
[Jan 26, 2017 9:55:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Hey!

Will there be come a new puzzle also with the opening of the new ocean ?
It is been a while were having a new puzzle in game! ;)
I'm a bit curious..
Maybe a new 2nd bilge puzzle!
I guess I'm not the only one who am waiting for a new puzzle! :)
In any case, I am glad that new changes in the game that I have been playing since the beginning!

Greetings Freakska, Emerald

Adding new puzzles requires a pretty huge amount of time and testing/feedback cycles, so I don't think we'll take this on as part of the initial Dark Seas launch. It would likely be something we could introduce after the release, and make available on all oceans (not just Obsidian). We'll look into what sort of updates the community is most interested in when that time comes. We'd definitely like to add more puzzles in the future if we can.
[Jan 26, 2017 11:42:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vepar7

Will there be an option to provide customer feedback?
Throughout the testing phase in game (as a pop up) and in general besides petition feedback, there is no option to evaluate the work of an OM

Will the same qualified people moderate the game?
I would love Hera and Nemesis on the new ocean, they are doing a great job! :)

Will you be open to personal advice on (scoring and botting) issues to get things addressed more quickly and efficiently (e.g from people that know much about them? iirc a programmer working at the F1 offered his help about both issues but you never replied).
The /bug option is too small and doesn't offer an exchange of thoughts. There is no direct way to contact the developers and it seems like mail gets lost on its way through the normal support.

Thanks for the thorough update Forculus! I am excited for the new ocean :)
Got customer supported on Emerald

------
Me:
<counter buzz sound> Just kidding, they are the Desperate Housewives.

majestrate :
Hera is a guy though, so....maybe not Housewives
[Jan 26, 2017 12:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Will there be an option to provide customer feedback?
Throughout the testing phase in game (as a pop up) and in general besides petition feedback, there is no option to evaluate the work of an OM

Will the same qualified people moderate the game?
I would love Hera and Nemesis on the new ocean, they are doing a great job! :)

Will you be open to personal advice on (scoring and botting) issues to get things addressed more quickly and efficiently (e.g from people that know much about them? iirc a programmer working at the F1 offered his help about both issues but you never replied).
The /bug option is too small and doesn't offer an exchange of thoughts. There is no direct way to contact the developers and it seems like mail gets lost on its way through the normal support.

Thanks for the thorough update Forculus! I am excited for the new ocean :)

We'll organize feedback for the pre-release version of Dark Seas here on the forums, probably with a new subforum similar to the Ice one. For example, if you look back through the Greedy Brigands posts in that forum, there were a ton of changes made directly because of tester feedback. It will be a similar process for Dark Seas.

In general (unrelated to Dark Seas) these are some of the best avenues for feedback:
  • If it requires Ocean Master assistance, definitely use a petition in-game.
  • If you suspect you're encountering a bug, make sure to use "/bug" in game so that your client logs are available to me and I can see what's going on.
  • For game design suggestions, making a post in this forum is best, so that we can get suggestions and perspectives from other players. As I've mentioned in the past, I read everything that's posted here in game design.

I can't do one-on-one consultations as there's a lot of players and only one of me, so it wouldn't leave me time to work on other things (like Dark Seas!). I also can't comment on hiring or staffing, since I'm not involved with that. General inquiries can be sent to the support team though.
[Jan 26, 2017 1:44:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tayes

Great update.

The clarification on the "automatic" PvP is awesome. So you don't auto engage but it's auto-war between light and dark. Big fan of this! I also like the idea of having a "new player" area where it could possibly be less challenging routes with no sinking.

Cool ideas of the shoppe destruction update as well

Idea on shoppe destruction:

Let's say the current island owners can place a "destruction order" on a shoppe, then the shoppe becomes dark and will be destroyed in 15 days for example. Then, this should be reversible, so if the shoppe owner makes a deal with a blockading flag or blockades the island themselves, they can save their shoppe.

Wouldn't that be neat if an island owner tries to destroy 4 shoppes and those shoppe owners rally together as an alliance to dethrone the island owners to save their shoppes?
-Tayes

King of Shadows of Sage
[Jan 26, 2017 2:05:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Shops could "go dark" before transferring to the winners, cancelling unworked orders but otherwise remaining intact. That might be a sufficient limit to griefing if combined with controls to stop anything past the top 3 orders being worked on.

When it comes to determining which shops transfer, I'd like to see a system of public and private shops on islands. Assuming the island size classification stays the same, medium islands could be all public, meaning they all transfer (same as current outposts) whereas large islands would also have private shops. Private shops pay rent to stop becoming public shops, and therefore shops would become property of the island owner instead of dusting. Public shops could freely be demolished (with a countdown to reduce rogue pirate griefing) or converted back to private shops once the next blockade window had passed.

Faction controlled islands should dump their spawned commodities into the hold of the commodities market, which would have to be limitless but unable to be transferred to. Private bidders would rely on labour being done in the market (foraging puzzle for active labour?) to fill their tickets, and this would produce additional commodities.

Blockades should only happen on edge islands. Each faction would be able to protect their larger islands by taking outposts adjacent to them, as covered islands could not be attacked. This would also stop any massive territory changes from happening every weekend.

In addition to SMH events rotating, the ocean should be divided into areas that showcase certain ships, with the "foreign" vessels rarely appearing in other areas. This could also be extended to BKs, giving them territory instead of operating randomly. This kind of balance would be needed to stop RNG from potentially favouring one faction over another. This also feeds directly into my next point:

BKs need a big reworking. In order to fit in with the faction idea, they should extend their flotillas to faction territory near their own islands, but instead of blockading islands they set up a board that every ship sailing through would need to pass. The ocean would have to be designed so that there were chokepoints and an unchecked BK could give merchants HUGE detours or even completely block an area (unless they crossed said boards). The mechanics for defeating them would be similar, but instead of the BK having merchant ships it would be warships that needed to be destroyed. There could also be a system where BKs could be paid off or perhaps even paid to set up closer to the opposing faction.

Depending on how much non-faction play is supported, bot merchants could be completely overhauled. The aforementioned changes to faction island spawns could also be carried over to the BK territory, putting rare minerals and herbs in their hands and giving the potential for faction-BK trade deals. Combine this with heavy localisation of commodities and you give reason for people to play with all of the different BKs.

Everyday pirate items would need to have their commodities changed, making them easier to obtain from the basic commodities. Luxury items would be more rare and expensive, taking work from groups instead of one merchant being smart about bid tickets. Exotic colours could once again be put in their esteemed position of lavish overindulgence.

This kind of interaction with the BKs would likely prohibit them from having an active role in blockades, perhaps with the exception of outposts on their own fringe. Players would be unable to blockade or even port at their main islands, again putting emphasis on stealing their rare commodities.

BK home islands could be the subject of raids, where a faction ship would drop anchor "round the back" and launch a ground assault. Players would SF/Rumble for commodities and PoE before being driven back to their ship and escaping with whatever goods they can.

Mooring large ships at league points could open up the potential for large unexplored regions to be played in without needing to open the islands for colonisation. They would drop anchor and friendly ships could dock with them, providing a safe haven for their loot (and a nice juicy target when they unmoor the ship to sail that loot home). I don't think opening moored ships to attack would be a good idea as that would require a faction to have 24 hour cover, but there would definitely need to be a way of having some indication of when the ship was moving back.

Overall I envision a huge ocean with the neutral starting territory, dark/light faction areas, numerous BK areas, SMH areas, and vast unpopulated regions where players can moor their ships and hunt traditional brigands or go forage on the many unexplored islands. These islands could even have undocumented spawns to add to the discovery element and entice players to explore. In the future, pirate bolt holes could be added, allowing players to move into the unpopulated regions simply by building on the islands (for reasons such as making bootleg rum) but that's starting to move into the realm of fun things instead of ideas with practical applications.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jan 26, 2017 3:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

Most PvPs with good crews simply end in a disengage because even if they attacked ship wins, they attacker has almost nothing good on board. For sinking PvPs there is no reward at all.

Will PvP boards be smaller to allow the ships to actually fight instead of running for 10 turns before disengaging?

Will Dnaving while evading still allow you to avoid PvPs?

Also, is there any plans to give a reward for sinking a ship in a PvP? Maybe you can salvage the wreck afterwards? Have trophies for sinks sunk in PvPs?

On a PvP ocean there needs to be both incentive to PvP and the ability to actually get a fight in the first place.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jan 26, 2017 3:34:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Will PvP boards be smaller to allow the ships to actually fight instead of running for 10 turns before disengaging?

Yeah, Obsidian is currently set up to use smaller PvP boards. We'll make further adjustments during the testing phase until we find a size that feels right. A skilled evader should still have a chance of escaping.

Will Dnaving while evading still allow you to avoid PvPs?

This hasn't been changed for Dark Seas.

Also, is there any plans to give a reward for sinking a ship in a PvP? Maybe you can salvage the wreck afterwards? Have trophies for sinks sunk in PvPs?

We want to create some additional incentive, otherwise players will just ignore this aspect of the ocean. But we also want the attacker to have some skin in the game, so that there's enough risk and reward for both sides of the engagement. We'd definitely be interested in further comments and ideas from the community on this.
[Jan 26, 2017 4:18:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Violencaa

Please redesign the pixel image of object: Female Long Dress Bottom. The current version looks like burnt carpet:

xoxo
[Jan 26, 2017 8:24:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrLowKick

Hey!

Ty for answer my 1st question!
Looking forward to iT :)
When we van expect the release or test on ice from the new changes?
Is it for a few months or nearly at the end of 2017?
Thank you and goodluck!

Freakska, emerald ocean
Cader From Viridian
[Jan 27, 2017 12:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

We want to create some additional incentive, otherwise players will just ignore this aspect of the ocean. But we also want the attacker to have some skin in the game, so that there's enough risk and reward for both sides of the engagement. We'd definitely be interested in further comments and ideas from the community on this.

Well, there have been ideas floated over the years about making PvP fairer for the defender/give the defender some reason to not try to disengage/not piss off a player who wanted to avoid PvP.

One overarching concept that came up regularly, and was the only thing I thought would actually make a defender want to fight, was having some version of a war chest that the attacker had to 'drop' to attack the defender, that the defender got in the case of victory, and that the value had to be somewhat similar to the value of what the defender was carrying. These suggestions had varying degrees of theme-based 'chrome' attached to them. The ones I can remember off the top of my head included straight up PoE payments, letters of marque that needed to be acquired, and not allowing an attack if the attacker wasn't carrying X value in his hold/booty.

The one idea floated that is going to seem silliest on the front of it, but fits the theme and flavor of the game really well, was something that I think I suggested, though it's been long enough ago that I won't swear to it: have crew flags. They can be chosen from stock pictures, or for a small rogue mark payment, players can upload custom pictures for approval.

In order to engage in PvP, the ship must be carrying a battle flag! No self-respecting pirate would engage in such skullduggery without hoisting his jolly roger, after all. Such flags must be custom-made at either a furnisher or weavery, and would come in varying levels of fanciness... and the more tempting the target (I.E., the more they have in the hold), the fancier (I.E., more expensive) your jolly roger must be to make the attack.

If the defender wins, he gets the jolly roger of his opponent, which he can either display in some fashion, or ransom/sell for a reasonable sum of PoE. Pirates interested in trophies would be trying to engage in PvP while carrying large amounts of booty, because that's the way to win silver/black/gold-edged jolly rogers. Players in it for the money would be able to get their money.

For bonus points, although this might take some extra coding time, if there was some way to turn captured battle flags into furniture to display in your home/on your ship/in your crew hall or gallery, that would be icing on the cake. And a good excuse to get a few doubloons from a "conversion fee".
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by xelto at Jan 27, 2017 4:12:44 AM]
[Jan 27, 2017 4:10:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

My only worry about this ocean is that it seems far too catered towards the older player and very, very cutthroat towards the new players. If this is an attempt at resuscitating the game, I think it's a very good effort. That being said every PvP being sinking is going to lead to a lot of frustrated people and may even have consequences on the oceans economy.

Personally i'm all for sinking PvPs and I enjoy the competition. I just think that maybe some routes shouldn't be sinking? Although I imagine that could be incredibly hard to code.
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[Jan 27, 2017 3:02:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Empatheticly

I'm curious why we don't treat inns like other shoppes.

If you're considering having the controlling flag levy high taxes to push shoppes out, why shouldn't the inn be treated as the same? It would certainly solve the dormant problem. If you're wanting less permanent ownership, make the structural taxes on it high even when taxes are low, thereby making taxes impossibly high when the rival team wants to push the owner out. Inns should already have extremely high taxes considering they're vanity marketplaces.

Just food for thought.
I do what I can, when I can.

- Empathetic,
Still playing, here and there.
[Jan 27, 2017 10:08:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

If you're considering having the controlling flag levy high taxes to push shoppes out, why shouldn't the inn be treated as the same? It would certainly solve the dormant problem. If you're wanting less permanent ownership, make the structural taxes on it high even when taxes are low, thereby making taxes impossibly high when the rival team wants to push the owner out. Inns should already have extremely high taxes considering they're vanity marketplaces.

Just food for thought.

Why tax something that doesn't generate eights? Unless cuts of payouts were to go to the hold of the inn that a player is at.

If that were to happen somehow, it should be setup so that anyone with a table on that particular island, or on a ship ported at that island, would receive cuts of all payouts won at that island. A solution should also be derived for players that continue carousing during the voyage as an attempt to evade the cuts. Maybe each cut would be divvied amongst all islands along the charted route.
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Jan 28, 2017 8:26:56 AM]
[Jan 28, 2017 8:24:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Just food for thought.

Why tax something that doesn't generate eights? Unless cuts of payouts were to go to the hold of the inn that a player is at.

My issue with inns is that they don't change hands. If the deed to the inn changes with the island, it's not a problem. If it's like on the standard oceans and long-dormant/banned players hold inns, it's a problem. Putting a tax on (and one that increases over time) would eventually cause the inn to dust if its owner doesn't stay active.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 28, 2017 10:12:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

I don't know if I agree regarding inns.

I do think its heartbreaking seeing dormant players own most inns, but what's more heartbreaking is seeing items dwindle down to nothing. Seeing familiars drop from millions to just several thousand was sad.

Seeing rare items become less and less rare over time is sad, I guarantee if an inn goes up on the market, it would sell for record prices, and that would be consistent since there are so little of them up for sale.

A better way to fix this issue is case by case oversight or even a dormant drop, if a player who owns the inn becomes dormant for more than a year the deed falls in the island transfer next blockade etc. I also wouldnt mind having a tax in the inn as well, allowing it to dust if it does not get paid, that way another inn can take its place rather than a constant transfer.

I think it's extremely special to see some of the inn owners as they left a legacy on the oceans.
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ilyarus2004 at Jan 28, 2017 11:21:47 PM]
[Jan 28, 2017 11:19:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vortexae

I posted my concern on the other thread , but the last post before mine was 3 days prior so maybe that one's been deprecated in favor of this one and I should have posted here?

Just going to c/p the one paragraph rather than the whole thing:

If it is at all technically possible, I'd urge an option for direct client download and install, the way the current client and the Ice client work. Or at the very least only having to deal with Steam for the initial install and then never touching it again to play on Obsidian. But having to always log in through Steam? Having an extra game client layer (wait for it to load up, install updates, deal with its bugs and instability) between me and the game I actually want to play seems like an unfun and unnecessary hassle.
Cerulean: Teshka
Meridian: Millefleur, Oshun & the crew
Emerald: Nensieuisge. Also Millefleur.
Y en el Océano Jade, soy la pirata Serenidad.

I blog YPP!
[Jan 29, 2017 12:21:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I do think its heartbreaking seeing dormant players own most inns, but what's more heartbreaking is seeing items dwindle down to nothing. Seeing familiars drop from millions to just several thousand was sad.

Seeing rare items become less and less rare over time is sad, I guarantee if an inn goes up on the market, it would sell for record prices, and that would be consistent since there are so little of them up for sale.

A better way to fix this issue is case by case oversight or even a dormant drop, if a player who owns the inn becomes dormant for more than a year the deed falls in the island transfer next blockade etc. I also wouldnt mind having a tax in the inn as well, allowing it to dust if it does not get paid, that way another inn can take its place rather than a constant transfer.

I think it's extremely special to see some of the inn owners as they left a legacy on the oceans.

I agree about rare items needing to stay rare. Maybe that should be accomplished via levels of a rare item (not coloring). So, the token 3 familiars (monkey, parrot, octopus) stay rare and are only winnable via bake-offs (maybe via 2 competitions a year?). Then you have your SMH familiars. But maybe there's another set of familiars that are given out at the normal competitions (and can be 2nd place prizes for the twice a year competitions).

With regards to Inns, what's the difference between a deed transfer and having to build new? If the intent is to remember the players that no longer play, you're destroying that exact thing by dusting the Inns.

Retired players can be "immortalized" by having pirate busts set in the palace or a shoppe/Inn. They don't need to retain the deed to a building.
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Jan 29, 2017 5:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

There's a difference between rare and impossible to get.

Colored 'classic' familiars still sell for millions, even though they enter the game on a regular basis. This game still has rare items, and they're still considered valuable.

If Obsidian opens up with the knowledge that inn ownership isn't a permanent thing, then that's one less worry years down the road. Having a memorial plaque near the dock of the island with all island governors able to hold the island for more than a month listed on it (with large, fancy font for the first one, and a different fancy font for anyone holding the island longer than half a year) should fit the need of putting your mark on the island.
[Jan 29, 2017 11:22:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

IMO. All sounds bad. Someone has to say it. How many players actively seek pvp on current oceans? The entire concept is deeply flawed from the general player point of view.

Yes I know most on line games abuse a 'social' aspect to put pressure on supporting your team, doing your bit. Along with ruining other player's experience by taking or destroying their 'stuff'. A major appeal of PP is 99% of the 'taking' is from non players. Nor do you lose your stuff to others apart from deliberate choice of gambling.

These commercial psychological exploits seem to be driving this new ocean. It might work for you, it wont be PP many like.

Smaller pvp boards no escape from it? Just making the bad side of PP worse.

Just a shame, a waste of so much thought and effort.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Jan 29, 2017 3:29:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

IMO. All sounds bad. Someone has to say it. How many players actively seek pvp on current oceans? The entire concept is deeply flawed from the general player point of view.
People avoid PVP now due to lack of incentive. I am excited to see what sort of incentives are put into place to encourage PVP.

PVP can be avoided if both parties do not want a PVP. If only one party wishes to avoid PVP, it will still be possible if you are skilled enough.

Just because you are not looking forward to the new ocean does not mean the thought and effort was wasted in the slightest. A lot of other people plan to be there.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Jan 29, 2017 4:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

There's a difference between rare and impossible to get.

Colored 'classic' familiars still sell for millions, even though they enter the game on a regular basis. This game still has rare items, and they're still considered valuable.

I don't really care what their resale value is. I care more about the rarity. There should be high-end prizes that don't have cheaper variations for mid-level prizes. This isn't coming from someone who wants to win and then be able to walk around with one of a limited number of items, I might be a decent puzzler but I'm not on the elite end. Heck, make it an outfit that is only winnable but only lasts until the next bakeoff/bi-annual competition (maybe a free portrait with whomever ran the event?).

If Obsidian opens up with the knowledge that inn ownership isn't a permanent thing, then that's one less worry years down the road. Having a memorial plaque near the dock of the island with all island governors able to hold the island for more than a month listed on it (with large, fancy font for the first one, and a different fancy font for anyone holding the island longer than half a year) should fit the need of putting your mark on the island.

Agreed.
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Jan 29, 2017 8:02:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Yes I know most on line games abuse a 'social' aspect to put pressure on supporting your team, doing your bit. Along with ruining other player's experience by taking or destroying their 'stuff'. A major appeal of PP is 99% of the 'taking' is from non players. Nor do you lose your stuff to others apart from deliberate choice of gambling.

These commercial psychological exploits seem to be driving this new ocean. It might work for you, it wont be PP many like.

Not to mention the crews and flags that are going to go out of their way to wreck it for members of the other side, wont be willing to listen or negotiate with those wanting to not participate.

OR, purposefully set up pirates and ships. Example, job aboard a sloop for the other faction, secretly give location and relative strength, supplies, treasure aboard to mates that can then coordinate a ambush, maybe even multiple ships attacking them from different directions. Then as the battle starts, purposefully lazing, or hopping off during battle to leave the victim at a disadvatage so their 'side' gets the easy sink.

Ive seen it done it times of war. Most officers have a hard enough filling and keeping a ship going on an average pilly, now they have to worry about potential sabotage?

If im at any concerned about that i would only job mates i know personally, hearties and others allied to my crew and flag. Any other person, greenies especially, would not even be considered in case they're a spy. I would not say that was much of an inclusive environment, and why would i risk a ship or stock otherwise?

So, on Obsidian, shops can dust and/or lost with the turn over of islands, pillaging is to risky because of nabs and potential treachery. That only leaves just the pvp aspect, which we all agree has no reward when then opposing ship is at the bottom of the sea.

Yep, sounds like a hoot.
Jimmyjimjim of Davy Jones Locker
Retired Indefinitely
[Edit 2 times, last edit by SeaGi at Jan 30, 2017 11:57:05 AM]
[Jan 30, 2017 11:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Michellecara

I have read thru this and I didn't see anything about what will happen to everything we currently own. Will our ships, fams, clothes, furniture ect transfer over with us or will it just be gone?
[Jan 30, 2017 7:16:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vepar7

I have read thru this and I didn't see anything about what will happen to everything we currently own. Will our ships, fams, clothes, furniture ect transfer over with us or will it just be gone?

• Dark Seas will be an isolated doubloon ocean where doubloon trades with our current oceans will not be enabled.
  • The ocean will be accessed via Steam and will not be connected to other doubloon oceans.

No new ocean ever gave you the opportunity to transfer pirates/items - I don't see how it would be different with Obsidian.
Got customer supported on Emerald

------
Me:
<counter buzz sound> Just kidding, they are the Desperate Housewives.

majestrate :
Hera is a guy though, so....maybe not Housewives
[Jan 30, 2017 7:57:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Mischellecara wrote:

Here you go.

jlh0605 wrote:
Will there be any carryover AT ALL from existing oceans, or to existing oceans? My understanding is no, but it'd be nice to have that confirmed.

Forculus wrote:
There will not be any carryover, we want this to be a completely new start for those who choose to take part in Dark Seas.

Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gunnerfreak at Jan 31, 2017 4:47:37 AM]
[Jan 31, 2017 4:18:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Empatheticly

In regards to inns, my whole post was simply to generate a discussion. I see many people these days quite happy with designing their own buildings and end up having it switched upon the next person taking over (the Tailor Bazaar on Emerald for example).

Having an inn change with island ownership would give incentives to the island to be contested all that much more since it is mostly vanity, and have that much more incentive to the defenders to defend said vanity. I think it's absurd that inns can go for 100m PoE (Isle of Kent Inn), and most would agree with that.

Bottom line, if you're worried about dormant inns, have it change with governor change. If you're wanting more of a permanent, but not completely permanent ownership, have it taxed like any other shoppe, tax it high if you wish. To the fellow that had a concern about taxes being to serve a product, the product here is vanity and a marketplace host within the game (not to mention your own personal palace for items and posts of ones own); well worth more taxes than any product on the island in my opinion.

Unrelated: Can we have the painting of floorboards be an option on ships?
I do what I can, when I can.

- Empathetic,
Still playing, here and there.
[Feb 1, 2017 5:44:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xoenergy

I think that there shouldn't be two factions but 3. Look at how Plannetside 2 works. This helps prevent 1 side from getting too strong. Thats just my little input
"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong" ~180 degrees south
[Feb 2, 2017 7:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 147   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates