• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6213 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Vengfulsoul

What are some strategies for when obsidian opens? Reply to this Post

I have never been there day one of a new ocean opening. If your goal is to establish an early foot hold, how would you do it? w/ wo crewbies.
----------------------------------------
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Dec 19, 2016 4:41:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Re: What are some strategies for when obsidian opens? Reply to this Post

You have to earn it with the navy. It's real slow, but once you have 26 PoE you can start wagering against the bots for some really quick money
Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Dec 19, 2016 4:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vepar7

You could also buy Dubloons to get yourself covered and sell the rest for PoE.
Got customer supported on Emerald

------
Me:
<counter buzz sound> Just kidding, they are the Desperate Housewives.

majestrate :
Hera is a guy though, so....maybe not Housewives
[Dec 19, 2016 5:08:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I have never been there day one of a new ocean opening. If your goal is to establish an early foot hold, how would you do it? w/ wo crewbies.

I am not an expert on this, so take my comments with a grain of salt and I hope someone with more knowledge will show up.

PoE is critical to start, so people are going to be doing crazy things for it.

Yeah, you have to start with the navy but the scoring curve is going to be crazy. If you can score an incred on a main ocean, you might get only a fine on the new ocean and thus lower pay.

Now that bots are very common, expect lots of people to be mass farming PoE in the navy with bots and expect them to people to launder that PoE before they get banned.

If I remember right, on Malachite, PoE per doub was below 100PoE for over the first day. There will be people farming PoE, just to get cheap dubs.

Initially, new ocean start out with not needing booze while pillaging, rum sickness doesn't get turned on until days or a couple of weeks go by. Expect a lot of pillages without booze and balls to start with.

The palace shop will sell sloops, traditionally at 10k PoE and no dubs, but that may be different.

Traditionally, there were groups of close hearties that would team together to try and make the first crews/flags and buy the first sloops. These sloop pillages will be close to only hearites at the start, but open pillages with high crew cuts will start quickly.

People will try to open IMs quickly, because ;you still need cbs to do the best pillages, even if you don't need rum. People will also open weaveries to make sail cloth and SYs to make cheaper sloops and/or larger ships.

The first day or two is crazy with people investing large amounts of both time and money to get ahead, and things will shift quickly.

I guess that even though you don't need booze to pillage, you do need booze to make lifeboats, so distilleries may start up quickly, once skellies and pillaging cough up enough kraken maps.

Longer term, there will be people trying to build up blockade fleets with the largest ships that can be made in stalls. The first island that gets opened will be highly contested so that the first SY shops can be opened. Expect those WFs to be made only for the shop owners.

There will also be people out trying to explore and memorize the ocean. Again, working with hearties is critical for this. Expect the first pirate to mem the new ocean in a day or two. Yeah, go figure. They will have hearties pillaging for new charts in the areas they don't have explored.

The new ocean craziness wont calm down for a least a couple of months, but things might fizzle out on the new ocean in only 6months to a year.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 19, 2016 9:47:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

I guess that even though you don't need booze to pillage, you do need booze to make lifeboats, so distilleries may start up quickly, once skellies and pillaging cough up enough kraken maps.

It seems only logical for the first SMH in rotation* to be Cursed Isles, since you don't need big ships, lifeboats or cannon balls - only a sloop and some rum.

*If they go through with such a ludicrous idea.
Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Dec 19, 2016 3:29:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

It seems only logical for the first SMH in rotation* to be Cursed Isles, since you don't need big ships, lifeboats or cannon balls - only a sloop and some rum.

Good point; I hope the devs read this and put CI in as the first SMH to be cycled through. It'll mean that people are able to participate in SMH the first week that the ocean is out.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Dec 19, 2016 5:04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Good point; I hope the devs read this and put CI in as the first SMH to be cycled through. It'll mean that people are able to participate in SMH the first week that the ocean is out.

I think kraken might be better; it's more accessible to newer players. Either way, the rotation should have the small-ship runs (kraken and CI) opposite each other.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 19, 2016 5:48:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

no bludgeons.

and, no paint for bludgeons

and, no hemp oil for paint

(no swords either, but swords don't seem to matter much against bots...)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Dec 19, 2016 6:29:50 PM]
[Dec 19, 2016 6:28:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

In my opinion the lack of lifeboats is more concerning than the lack of bludgeons, especially when the cultists (except Vargus and Enlightened Ones) fight without bludgeons anyway.

I'd agree though, Kraken is more accessible to new players, non-thralling CI kind of sucks.
Jjc on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Dec 19, 2016 6:53:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

In my opinion the lack of lifeboats is more concerning than the lack of bludgeons, especially when the cultists (except Vargus and Enlightened Ones) fight without bludgeons anyway.

A CI is doable without any bludgeons, but a KH is not doable without any lifeboats.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Dec 20, 2016 3:41:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
olaffiej

"There will also be people out trying to explore and memorize the ocean. Again, working with hearties is critical for this. Expect the first pirate to mem the new ocean in a day or two. Yeah, go figure. They will have hearties pillaging for new charts in the areas they don't have explored."

You simply cannot mem a new ocean in two days. Don't forget that everything is still uncolonized, so you can not buy maps. You have to do everything by earning the maps from pillaging, which is extremely tedious.

Also, you are forgetting something. The greedies now bring a large influx of money to the game, which is easily accessible. When the first sloops are bought, even without rum of balls, Greedy pillages will start to load a massive amount of money into the game. CI's will come later, easiest SMH to do (Bludgeons are useful but not necessary). People will try to get the first serpents and other rares, and they will be worth absolute fortunes at the beginning. Only after that KH will come, and eventually Cit runs.
[Dec 20, 2016 10:05:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

"There will also be people out trying to explore and memorize the ocean. Again, working with hearties is critical for this. Expect the first pirate to mem the new ocean in a day or two. Yeah, go figure. They will have hearties pillaging for new charts in the areas they don't have explored."

You simply cannot mem a new ocean in two days. Don't forget that everything is still uncolonized, so you can not buy maps. You have to do everything by earning the maps from pillaging, which is extremely tedious.

Well, I did some quick digging, and I couldn't find any exact dates, but it looks like malachite may well have been memmed in a 10 days. But, things may well have changed since then. Malachite is (obviously) half the size of Meridian, who knows how big the new ocean will be. Also, you used to be able to mem while in swabby transport.

Finally, there used to be a lot more players and as I said, the first memmers used to work with others to pillage up charts.
[Dec 21, 2016 3:52:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Well, I did some quick digging, and I couldn't find any exact dates, but it looks like malachite may well have been memmed in a 10 days. But, things may well have changed since then. Malachite is (obviously) half the size of Meridian, who knows how big the new ocean will be. Also, you used to be able to mem while in swabby transport.

Finally, there used to be a lot more players and as I said, the first memmers used to work with others to pillage up charts.

Swabbie transport was released 6/14/2007
Memming during Swabbie transport was disabled 12/12/2007
Malachite opened 5/6/2008

As I recall, when Mala opened, we did a lot of pillaging for charts (pillaging is all we did back then anyway since CI wasn't even introduced) and took advantage of not needing rum for the first couple of weeks. The downfall of it all was the fact the doubloons carried over from other oceans, so those who came from Viridian or Sage already had the enormous wealth to buy sloops from the palace. Glad to see they won't make this mistake again.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Dec 21, 2016 12:54:15 PM]
[Dec 21, 2016 12:52:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates