• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2609 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Captntipper

Labor distribution question Reply to this Post

So I'm running this little IM stall, and I've been having trouble with the way labor is distributed (or not distributed!) among my staff.

I started out with a small stall, maximum labor output 4h/real h total, 4 basic, 2 skilled and 1 expert. Bought a deluxe labor badge for my pirate, and was the only worker hired. Since a deluxe labor badge gives me the ability to work 3h/real h, and my orders were only small cannonballs (only basic labor!) I expected to use 72h per day of work, and surely enough, that's what happened.

I then decided to add another worker, so that I could make use of all 4 h/real h available, instead of just 3. Hired a pirate with just a regular labor badge who, same as I, only worked on my stall and nothing else (no foraging, no puzzling, etc). I expected my stall to use 96h per day of work, but I found that I never quite hit that mark. Checking the Labor report tab on my stall, ~90 hours a day were used, and that trend continued for about 5 days.

Seeing as how losing labor didn't seem like a good idea (specially with dub prices nowadays!), I decided to upgrade to a medium stall, maximum labor output 6h/real h total, 6 basic, 3 skilled and 2 expert. To my relief, I found that my stall now used 96 hours a day like I expected.

Sells went well, so I decided to add more labor hours. Because of my previous experience, I figured that trying to use all 6h/real h would probably fail, so I added a third worker with a regular labor badge. I expected then to use 72+24+24=120 labor hours per day, since again, all three pirates worked only at my stall, no puzzling or foraging etc. However, I was again disappointed, finding that I use ~110 hours a day (ranging from about 107 to 113).

Things I considered:
* All three pirates had their skills active (i.e. not dormant!). One or two went dormant a few times, and surely enough I saw their labor output diminished, but after puzzling the problem persisted.
* Orders were available at ALL TIMES, just small or medium cannonballs. Even though medium cannonballs were produced, their skilled to basic ratio is less than 1/2, so that shouldn't restrict my production in any way (after using the 3 skilled hours available, there's always basic labor to be done on the other 3).
* None of the three pirates puzzled or foraged, except once every few days to keep skills active, and in all cases the puzzling was done at my stall.
* All 3 pirates are using slightly less than they should: My own is consuming around 69 hours per day, and the other two around 21-22.

Am I missing something? I know it's not terribly important an issue, and the difference is small, but my brain aches when I check that labor report and I see unspent hours and can't find a reason.

Thanks!
----------------------------------------
Captnnemo - Obsidian
[Dec 4, 2016 2:13:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Labor distribution question Reply to this Post

sorry, I just skimmed your long post,so I could be off, but...

It is my understanding that the game reserves about 10-25% of your available labor for puzzlers who walk into your store and directly puzzle. Unless you have far more labor than you can actually use, you won't hit 100% capacity. If you have more than one store, you can put your labor alts in both stores and usually get much less wasted labor.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 4, 2016 2:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captntipper

Re: Labor distribution question Reply to this Post

Thanks! I guess that could explain it, though I hadn't seen any mention of that anywhere. The weird thing is that when I get into the puzzle (either to "awake" my labor skills or just to check the status of orders), most of the times I get the warning that all the labor available was already done and that I'm just practicing... "most" of the times, it's still possible I'm not checking at the right times.
Captnnemo - Obsidian
[Dec 4, 2016 6:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates