• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10703 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
wippit

Hey Grey Havens, any chance of another State of the Ocean post? Reply to this Post

Been about 2 months since the last one. Just wondering how things are going and what's on the horizon.
[Nov 17, 2016 6:18:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Re: Hey Grey Havens, any chance of another State of the Ocean post? Reply to this Post

+1. Maybe even +1.25.
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Nov 18, 2016 7:32:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Hey Grey Havens, any chance of another State of the Ocean post? Reply to this Post

I'd love them to post one every 1-3 months. Even if there isn't a lot of new news, it will still help players know what's going on.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Nov 21, 2016 9:18:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
wippit

Not happening, eh?
[Dec 2, 2016 12:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deadtooth

Not happening, eh?

Apparently, I mean this with as much expectation of salt grains as it deserves, they are preparing for increased attention from the company and/or it's OMs as far as new development and increased (or existent at all) interaction with the community.

Their timeline, I believe, was 'in the coming months'. Given this was months ago(?), I would say it is now anywhere from 1 to 12 months away?

Something to look forward to, perhaps? =P
Dreadtooth of the Emerald Ocean.

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"
[Dec 2, 2016 1:30:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

I'm expecting the State of the Union speech before another State of the Ocean post.
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Dec 12, 2016 3:27:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

We've posted some additional information here .
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Dec 16, 2016 11:05:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Juliostcroix

where do we complain about the price of doubloons on Meridian?? 9K for dubs is outrageous!!! Ye are only chasing away players-- and i thought ye wanted to keep players??
[May 12, 2017 8:12:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

where do we complain about the price of doubloons on Meridian?? 9K for dubs is outrageous!!! Ye are only chasing away players-- and i thought ye wanted to keep players??

Doubloon price is player driven. They cannot do anything about it.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[May 12, 2017 8:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Doubloon price is player driven. They cannot do anything about it.

that is complete bull.

First, just because GH *currently* doesn't interject themselves into the dub<->PoE exchange doesn't mean they couldn't. They could, *very* easily.

Second, while the players set the specific prices of dubs on the exchange, the GH's choices in game design largely sets the range. GH releases gold boxes that needs dubs? The exchange rate goes up. If GH changed gold boxes to 50k PoE, the exchange rate would go down. GH decides to flood the ocean with PoE from the Kraken? PoE is now worth less and you have to spend more to buy dubs.

Fundamentally though, the dub<->PoE exchange is not stable. Sure, the higher the cost in dubs on the exchange, the more likely people are to buy dubs with real money, but there are a lot of not so obvious things with the exchange.

For example, if the price of dubs gets too high, people may well not buy dubs with real money, they will just stop playing and that has a deadly impact on the game. It has always been the case (on green oceans) that the more "free" players there are, the more activity there is which, which makes the game funner, which encourages people who *are* willing to pay to real money to do so. It is *very* possible that the higher the exchange rate is, the less real money GH will get in dub sales.

In short, a high dub<->PoE exchange rate cause the game to be much more of a subscription game where you have to pay real money to play and less of a free to play game where paying real money gives you a nice boost. Basically, you can trade the time you spend on a real job to earn real money to let you spend less time grinding out PoE.

Another source of instability in the dub<->PoE exchange rate is that most of the game requires dubs in order to sink PoE. And the game is largely designed at an exchange rate of 1k PoE per dub sunk. Now, the *only* reason people will put dubs up on the exchange is because they want PoE.

So, if someone wants something on the game and the exchange rate is 1k PoE per dub (Yes, the rate used to be that low), and someone spent $10 for 42 dubs, they would likely put 21 dubs on the exchange so that they can get 21k PoE and buy stuff. But, if the exchange rate is 10k PoE per dub, then that person can only put about 3-4 dubs on the exchange, otherwise they will end up with too much PoE for the dubs they have and they would have to buy more dubs.

When people are putting half the dubs they bought with real money on the exchange, that will drive the exchange rate lower, but if they are only putting 3-4 dubs on the exchange, that will drive the price higher.

And yet another source of instability is the trend. If I think that the exchange rate is going up, then there isn't any reason for me to put dubs on the exchange right now, if I wait, I'll get more PoE. Like wise, if it looks like GH is going to change the game design to drive exchange rate down, I'm going to put all my dubs on the market now, thus driving the exchange rate down.

The cost in dubs needed to sink PoE isn't the only fixed value in the game. Is there any reason to forage fruit on Meridian now? I can't see how you can break even on the labor badges need to forage fruit with the fixed price that the game buys fruit at. The cost for labor also seems likely to make prices in stores to be just crazy.

GH/OOO has seriously played themselves by mismanaging the dub<->PoE exchange rate. They should have changed the game design so that it never drifted far from 1k PoE per dub. Now it may well be too late go change things.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 13, 2017 7:01:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

where do we complain about the price of doubloons on Meridian?? 9K for dubs is outrageous!!!

just out of curiosity... why hasn't the usual occurrence for evening out the dub prices between oceans (entering blockades on the low-cost dub ocean, and spending them on the high-cost ocean) been happening?
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 13, 2017 9:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

just out of curiosity... why hasn't the usual occurrence for evening out the dub prices between oceans (entering blockades on the low-cost dub ocean, and spending them on the high-cost ocean) been happening?

Probably mainly the fact most people actually moved from Meri to Emerald, Meri is very low on playercount these days.

Right now is probably not a fair time to compare (because of cades) but current playercounts:
Emerald 550
Meridian 71
Cerulean 65
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at May 13, 2017 6:42:04 PM]
[May 13, 2017 6:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Right now is probably not a fair time to compare (because of cades) but current playercounts:
Emerald 550
Meridian 71
Cerulean 65

Apparently, glowie.com is gone so there isn't much public data on ocean populations. Here is some of my private data. It are plots of the total population of each ocean, averaged over 4 weeks. Again, these "total populations" are simply the number of people who have logged in at least once in the last 10 days. That isn't the same as the number of people logged on at any given time, or the number of people who are really active (and not just dock tarting). The numbers are different, but the trends tracked what glowie.com used to show.

Cerulean ocean population
Emerald ocean population
Meridian ocean population

So, yes, the population of Emerald has actually gone up recently and Meridian is still significantly more active that Cerulean
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[May 14, 2017 3:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

So many zeroes on those charts? o.O
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[May 14, 2017 10:39:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates