• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13855 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
xelto

What should Grey Havens work on next? Reply to this Post

It's looking like greedy brigands are coming close to being finished, so looking ahead: what would you like to see? Some of the ideas that have been floated that I thought looked interesting, in order of my best guess as to how hard the coding would be (it's been a while since I did any serious coding, so this is only a guess):

• Adding chests to some or all of the existing expeditions
  • Creating a new expedition
  • Upgrading some or all of the existing sea monster lairs, and/or flotillas
  • Changing foraging so that it makes more sense, and hopefully becomes more interactive with the rest of the game
  • A new alternate shipboard puzzle
  • A new labor puzzle
  • Making it easier for players to do competitive sea-based activities (1v1, group frays, event blockades, capture the flag)
  • A new shipboard experience (new sea monster lair, smuggling, etc.)
  • A sequel game (would take a lot of time, and require some sort of additional funding)
  • Something else

----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 18, 2016 6:51:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Re: What should Grey Havens work on next? Reply to this Post

Flotillas Fix Already please!

Kraken Been released! CI and HS got a boost! Pillaging about to get their share! Flots been left out for years!

Enough said!
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 18, 2016 6:59:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Flotillas definitely need some love after the pillaging update goes live. Probably the oldest of the non-pillaging/blockading activities added to the game and not much has been updated with them since their release.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 18, 2016 7:13:52 PM]
[Sep 18, 2016 7:13:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Paulisma

I still think they should make something that ships load faster. For example add a ''clone'' for each jobber you get and that the captain gets charge over it and can let it puzzle for example. That way any expedition can load way faster and the boredom of waiting for 2 hours to fill something is partly fixed.

I would also like to see the addition of some kind of blockade simulation in-game. The one that's in whirled right now but then with random map generator.
hi im kev
#FreeOceancool
Pauldancer&Paulisma
[Sep 19, 2016 6:31:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

Ideally I'd prefer a sequel game, but I doubt that'll even happen.

Other than that, anything that improves the experience with fewer players. Extra bots, lower station counts on ships, etc.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Sep 19, 2016 7:44:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Ideally I'd prefer a sequel game, but I doubt that'll even happen.

Other than that, anything that improves the experience with fewer players. Extra bots, lower station counts on ships, etc.

Personally, I think extra bots would be easier to program into the game rather than editing the snippets that each existing ships and future ships have to have less stations. lol.
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Sep 19, 2016 8:34:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seaspirit8

When i came back in the Summer and saw the news for the Legendary sloop, where it said "ye have sailed to ancient waters full o? mysterious creatures" and i thought for a sec they had introduced a new Greek Mythology Monster hunt thing while i was away.

That would be great! Stealing treasures from Medusa's lair, capturing a Golden Fleece from a Hydra, or going after a Cyclops eye lol. Would love to see something like that in the game.
Seaspirit on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Seaspirit8 at Sep 19, 2016 7:00:45 PM]
[Sep 19, 2016 6:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arladannon

Liliene and I have been putting together an idea for a new SMH based on Gorgons as presented on the Olympus LE ship. It's pretty well fleshed out now, we're just working on the images for the document. Is there anywhere or anyone specific we should send it to?

We're also interested in seeing some use of mermaids in the game beyond just in paintings on the walls.

Arla Dannon
[Sep 19, 2016 7:42:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Can either make a post about it in Game Design or send it to support@puzzlepirates.com =)
#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 21, 2016 8:45:35 PM]
[Sep 20, 2016 1:25:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Please post about it, not email, the developers read the game design forums.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Sep 21, 2016 6:44:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

Trying to keep in mind the major focus of keeping the game fun and alive. I feel like it doesn't serve the greater good of the game to add new content at this point in time.

In my opinion, based on my time playing the game so far and everything I've read online or studying up while learning puzzles and more about the game in general. I feel like the best allocation of resources economically for the developers would be in fixing current bug issues that destabilize the core of the game.

So, I would add to your list bug fixes first and foremost. It really shocks me how long players have put up with the glitches in frays where players pictures stop appearing, when anyone asks about it people are just used to living with it by now so they shrug it off. So please fix this and other known bugs. (If we could get together a full list of bugs we want fixed it would probably help the developers a ton. I'm willing to start a thread somewhere in Game Design if there isn't already something somewhere keeping track of all of them. O'Great and Mighty, Faulkston, I call upon thee, do you have knowledge of anything?)

My second change I would like to see without fully introducing new content is in some way changing the tutorial so that as new players enter the game their transition is smooth. From my experience it isn't readily clear to a new player that takes a navy mission that they can earn clothing for attaining certain ranks or what decides the color of those clothing items. So further developing this aspect of the reward system could be cool. I could see some sort of low level badge reward associated with navy ranks as interesting, a one time earned non-trade able substitute officer or pirate badge when earning certain navy ranks. I also think there should be more reward for the missions in general. This would really encourage new players to take on missions instead of skipping them.

Beyond these two starter fixes I'm not convinced that adding new content is an absolute fix for the game. I could be easily convinced that some sort of sequel game would be the better allocation of developer time beyond a simple upgrade to flotillas. (Though I understand this is highly unlikely, it is afterall the mission statement of Grey Havens only to keep the game operational as long as possible. No part of that indicates they would be interested in developing a new game.) New content on its own though is generally only a short term solution. It might please current players and bring back a handful of older ones to experience the addition but long term the player base will simply begin to decay again as players adjust to whatever becomes the new norm with just another SMH fighting for jobbers spreading the oceans thinner causing more players to leave.

*One thing I would like to suggest, without overstepping my bounds, is something that only recently came to my attention. I know in other spaces of computing large groups of enthusiasts have been able to band together to create content/videos/movies/etc such as Blender Foundation Videos. I think it might be a cool area to explore for Grey Havens based on their currently limited resources to consider inviting players to design content for the game or help in developing a sequel game. It would be complex and possibly hard to manage but it might be an alternative option opposed to allocating extensive resources and funding into a new project, just have the players interested invest some of their own time into writing code or developing artwork based on concepts created by Grey Havens. Just a thought, as I for one have a ton of ideas behind how to solve current problems but most of them require a sequel to really fix issues.*
Don't mind me. I'm learning.
[Sep 21, 2016 7:26:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

So, I would add to your list bug fixes first and foremost. It really shocks me how long players have put up with the glitches in frays where players pictures stop appearing, when anyone asks about it people are just used to living with it by now so they shrug it off. So please fix this and other known bugs.

They are already working on this issue on Ice, mate. Just look at the changelog or log on with a couple other mates and try it out on the Skelly Frays and such floating around.
[Sep 21, 2016 7:36:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Halfbrain5

I personally enjoyed the Greyghost mission/adventure/whatever it was called. (free portraits are a plus)

Has anybody seen the mysterious & elusive merchant expo?

As a major jobber of foragers on Cerulean, I believe the main attraction seems to be finding gold. I know of several people who ran a forage ship briefly and gave up because of "all that fruit" that they had no use for. Since the rules for gem running had to be changed, I suspect very few people care about gems either. Maybe if dig expos could include chests with gold or if some other method of obtaining it existed, foraging on uninhabited islands could be eliminated and fruit obtained from pillaging traded at all islands.

I have heard many people wish for an alternative to bilge and it would possibly help CI if it helped solve the "all tops and no bottoms" dilemma of tokening.

My vote - no new labor puzzle. I think having 2 types of shops with no puzzle is a good thing.

Smuggling sounds like fun - find a mysterious stranger in an inn who will pay you to run cargo to a designated island without being intercepted by the navy or pvpers tipped off by the Old Salt.

Something else - perhaps they already have a project started.....
Doggbreath, Rogues Riding Sell me your ink! any Cerulean island 500/unit

Yer daily horoscope reads: Investing in insane dogs will result in good health

Ohiya says, "By the way how many curly toads does it take to make curly toad slippers
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Halfbrain5 at Sep 21, 2016 7:37:12 AM]
[Sep 21, 2016 7:36:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

So, I would add to your list bug fixes first and foremost. It really shocks me how long players have put up with the glitches in frays where players pictures stop appearing, when anyone asks about it people are just used to living with it by now so they shrug it off. So please fix this and other known bugs.

They are already working on this issue on Ice, mate. Just look at the changelog or log on with a couple other mates and try it out on the Skelly Frays and such floating around.

My apologies, I unfortunately haven't been on Ice at all for any of the testing so I wasn't aware that a fix was in the works. Thank you for letting me know.
[Sep 21, 2016 7:44:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

Another suggestion/fix that I just thought of on my way to class this morning was that it might go a long way if there could be a slight slider adjustment in the calculate for spawning moves in Sea Battle. I'm not sure how much of an overall affect this would have in terms of good or bad. May just cause more people to run ships but in my very limited experience I find it hard to run a ship with players who aren't experienced in the sailing or rigging puzzles. I feel almost crippled at times trying to move against another ship in battle because my sails aren't generating moves. I feel like this could be a major contributing factor in why a player might choose to run an "elite" pillage trip rather than accepting anyone who wants to join. Especially in terms of larger ships that might not reach full capacity being able to generate moves with lower levels of sail/rig skill could be a huge quality of life improvement.
[Sep 21, 2016 7:48:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

Smuggling sounds like fun - find a mysterious stranger in an inn who will pay you to run cargo to a designated island without being intercepted by the navy or pvpers tipped off by the Old Salt.

I'll give a +1 to this. Perhaps it could also be expanded with some kind of reputation system. Maybe there could be smuggler and imperial factions, and your reputation could swing between the two by doing quests for them. Let's say the scale goes from -100 to 100, with one end being smuggler and the other being imperial. A smuggling quest might move your rep 5 in the negative direction, while a mission where you hunt smugglers moves it 5 in the positive.

As you move farther in either direction, you could get rewards from one faction while being increasingly harassed by the other, and the quests would get more and more difficult.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Sep 21, 2016 8:11:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

I saw an Expo on Emerald just a week or two ago but we lost it because of a spawn attacking us and they ported. :/ At least they're working on making this Expedition more common on Ice as well. :3
[Sep 21, 2016 8:15:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirEtcetera

I saw an Expo on Emerald just a week or two ago but we lost it because of a spawn attacking us and they ported. :/ At least they're working on making this Expedition more common on Ice as well. :3

I almost wonder if there is a way to make it so these expos don't port when you are chasing them. That way you can still chase after it when you get out of a battle similar to the other expos. Though I suppose this could end up going back to how spawns already are generated and the way they are already designed to behave.
[Sep 21, 2016 12:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

There was once a thread started with the concept of smuggling to the mainland, not to other islands, which was what I was referring to back in the original post.

Now, that doesn't say that smuggling to islands isn't doable... sorta. I've got two concerns about this, though. The first is thematics: what could the islands (or the pirates on them) possibly want that they can't get currently via trading or pillaging, that requires actual smuggling? The second concern is that we already have a run-from-island-to-island part of the game already in gem running. What would you do to differentiate inter-island smuggling from that?
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 21, 2016 7:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Smuggling could relate to black boxes, trading posts etc.
#TeamPurple
[Sep 21, 2016 8:07:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XBumble

I would rather see GH spend some proper attention on re-marketing the game. I'm not totally convinced they actually want to.

It is much easier for them to use the current players base helping to promote the game again than it is to ask the very small minority able to help code. As a web developer by trade, using unknown people who are not near you to code only ends in disaster.

There are many talented players who can give support in terms of graphics etc. which can be used to a much better effect.

I'd like to see GH allow the captain of a crew to have access to all of the email addresses pertaining to their dormant crew members (assuming this does not break global privacy & data protection rules) so they can contact them and see if they can get them back.

I contacted GH as well as leaving messages on here offering my skills as a graphic designer and web developer for free, but never heard anything back - I think that shuts the lid on anyone offering any help.
Captain of The Wreckin' Crew - Kirin Island, Cerulean Ocean.

'Are ye prepared to meet your maker and ask for yer money back?'
[Edit 1 times, last edit by XBumble at Sep 23, 2016 3:13:42 AM]
[Sep 23, 2016 3:12:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tribal1177

As an older player, I'm just going to put forward the idea of stat reset/stat re-balance/stop navy stats early like SFing bots- you can only advance a little. Maybe this is a terrible idea, and you're welcome to tell me why- I'm old, and haven't been playing again until recently.

A long time ago, when the population was high, possibly before 3rd party bilging, I was able to ultimate bilge while ultimate bnavving my ship. I can't even ultimate bilge only, anymore. No biggie, this is just an example.

It's seemingly hard to get players to get on to boats anymore. I can undock a war brig, win every battle, and have seen no more than 3 consecutive players at a total of 6 humans across 3 hours of pillage, at 500 players online. For reference, my crew is at jobbers delight on 85%, just so nobody thinks i'm whinging about a promotion pays gig.

Here's where the anecdote ult bilge comes into play: most of the players who do join, also have somewhat inferior current day stats. My stats are inferior. This isn't a judgement, it's just, I run a hard orange route, and win max-0's, and it's dropped me down to master bnav. Everyone from renowned up runs only wissa-beau or hubble-tich? And has the players to support a red route pillage? I just struggle with this.

These stats interfere with the ability to pillage to a massive degree. If the high stat-holders only play on swabbied boats across the ocean or long navy routes, I get fines or worse on pillage. I think the impact to the ship here should be obvious. If we really want pillage to be a fun thing, whether it's on green or red routes, the people who pillage need to have a ship impact relevant to the oceans actual pirates, not just against the stat... ladies of the night.

Higher scores score higher points. High scores win familiar contests. High navy scores will get you onto a ship to gun, while on that ship you can't actually maintain that stat (some people surpass this reality). In a land where stats affect what happens on the boat, and so many stat-holders really, really, REALLY just don't have any inclination to be on a boat, I think the next thing to work on is a balance of this fact.
If you're not wasted, the day is.
[Nov 4, 2016 10:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

It's seemingly hard to get players to get on to boats anymore. I can undock a war brig, win every battle, and have seen no more than 3 consecutive players at a total of 6 humans across 3 hours of pillage, at 500 players online. For reference, my crew is at jobbers delight on 85%, just so nobody thinks i'm whinging about a promotion pays gig.

Ah... with the recent changes to pillaging payouts, 85% is, actually, on the low side. If you're planning on doing large-ship pillages and want jobbers for them, you probably need to move up to 90% or higher.

Before anyone freaks... with the bump to pillaging payouts, I'm usually turning a restock profit at 92% jobber's delight. Taking easy routes, even. (I do Sayers-Marlowe myself, choosing easy because that gives a ship with less-experienced players the best chance of actually scoring some lockers).

Everyone from renowned up runs only wissa-beau or hubble-tich? And has the players to support a red route pillage? I just struggle with this.

No... most of us running larger ships know that we're going to get a high percentage of newer players. Those who care about the battle nav stat generally use smaller ships with more experienced players, who are capable of doing red routes.
[Nov 5, 2016 4:20:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FarkasDavid

None of the above since they won't do anything.

• Sort gunner pay in blockades based on number of cannons filled instead of the DR (might be applicable to SMH/pillaging as well)
  • Remove the advantage attackers have in blockades (can be executed in a few different ways)
  • Merge Emerald and Meridian
  • Introduce a way to make PoE sink with every item bought in shoppes (as in an additional 10% of the origial price that would be sunk)
  • Stop the spawning of regular clothes/bludgeons/swords/anything in all kinds of SMH (this combined with a decrease in the delivery cost of most items would mean more business for shoppekeepers)
  • Make at least SF and rumble free to play all days of the week, to increase the number of players on tables (possibly include drinking and TD)
  • Significantly decrease the delivery cost of mugs and bludgeons specifically (in order to boost the number of players)
  • Look into changing the pattern of certain swords and possibly bludgeons (mostly sabers xoxo <3)
  • Make pillages distribute all the PoE right after battles (would make pillying worth it for people who only want to play 15-30 minutes and thus don't want to commit to SMH)
  • Delete archipelago rankings and replace them with alternative rankings for the same puzzle (PvP ranking for Bnav, CI forage ranking for forage, possibly tokening stats for duty puzzles)
  • Make it possible to pay to get unbanned (of course this is a controversial one and you could discuss details on who would get this option)
  • Get some player controlled islands back into the hands of OMs (kinda subjective but i think there are too many player controlled islands relative to the playerbase)

Just a few things there, probably there are 5× as many to be brought up...
Korte
[Edit 1 times, last edit by FarkasDavid at Nov 6, 2016 8:07:31 AM]
[Nov 6, 2016 8:06:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

None of the above since they won't do anything.

• Sort gunner pay in blockades based on number of cannons filled instead of the DR (might be applicable to SMH/pillaging as well)
  • Stop the spawning of regular clothes/bludgeons/swords/anything in all kinds of SMH (this combined with a decrease in the delivery cost of most items would mean more business for shoppekeepers)
  • Make at least SF and rumble free to play all days of the week, to increase the number of players on tables (possibly include drinking and TD)
  • Delete archipelago rankings and replace them with alternative rankings for the same puzzle (PvP ranking for Bnav, CI forage ranking for forage, possibly tokening stats for duty puzzles)

Just quoting the ones i strongly agree with, although I wouldn't mind seeing most of the list included. Especially the first half of the last one I quoted, what really is the point in archipelago ranks when the player base is so small

And of course because i'd love a CI forage rank. I usually use a database of peoples scores to filter jobbers anyway, since forage and sf ability are really all you need for a successful CI.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Nov 6, 2016 7:58:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tribal1177

>Ah... with the recent changes to pillaging payouts, 85% is, actually, on the low side. If you're planning on doing large-ship pillages and want jobbers for them, you probably need to move up to 90% or higher.

Well, being old, I guess I should learn from you. I pay money to pillage at 85%.

There are some dynamics at play here- My boat is empty as hell, so my bnav goes down. My bnav goes down, so it's unlikely I can find 5 players (1% of total population at the best of times) to run straight reds with me. I have a ult trophy from Sea Battle. I have a #1 ult trophy from bnav. It's not like I can't do the thing, it's just that... with no players, and players who have no effect anymore because of too many players who don't do the thing, it's super hard to boat. That's pretty much all I'm saying.

If I could take my brig through red town with what I could get, I could do it more often, and convince people who don't want to pillage anymore that maybe they want to. Because we wouldn't lose, and it would be fun. But instead, sooner or later I overstep my bounds with 11 able bots and 2 jobbers and a greenie, and we lose one. Then my three jobbers all quit.
If you're not wasted, the day is.
[Nov 9, 2016 10:36:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cithara

@Tribal1177

A note on your previous navy rant about gunners... There is literally 1 difference between navy gunning and normal gunning, which is the lack of barrel movement (which can be accounted for by abandoning and retaking a gun station on a normal boat). The navy already added dealing with dirty cannons AWHILE ago. Anyone who does decent with the navy should be good enough to gun normally. (And good gunners should already be finished loading their board before the turn is up, so that they don't have to deal with the moving barrel).

Anyway...

I have been doing nothing but pillaging or staring at the NB for a decent pillage to join since the greedies were released. I have seen elite sloops, greenie sloops, FULL elite baghlahs, and complete nub baghlahs, and all other combinations of pillages being run. If someone can manage to fill a baghlah full of elites, or if someone can fill a baghlah of noobs and lose half their battles but still retain jobbers, I don't see how you can't fill a boat with master/ren bnav.

Another thing though is that I have not once seen your name up on the NB. Maybe I'm just always on a boat when you try to load, or you're doing it when I'm not online, or you've already given up trying. Maybe try loading when the ocean is more active or give jobbers incentive to come job for you. For example, I have seen many players award each jobber 500 poe or 1k per LL they grab. Or be more patient and not leave port with less jobbers than required for a successful boat pillage (>2 jobbers and a greenie on a brig...)

+ Gurn is right, 85% is low, most people are at 90+ these days. Judging by what you're saying (failed pillages that end early and what not), that's probably the reason that you're paying at 85% to pillage. But that'd be the case with any failed voyage, regardless of whether they're at 70% or at 95%.
Cithara of Viridian Meridian Emerald
Avie by Joondashbug Frost
[Nov 10, 2016 6:24:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

>Ah... with the recent changes to pillaging payouts, 85% is, actually, on the low side. If you're planning on doing large-ship pillages and want jobbers for them, you probably need to move up to 90% or higher.

Well, being old, I guess I should learn from you. I pay money to pillage at 85%.

There are some dynamics at play here- My boat is empty as hell

That's the problem right there. War brigs are expensive to float: lots of swabbies drinking rum but not giving you anything in the restock, and they fire double medium shot. You have to have humans on board if you expect to cover expenses. If you have humans on board, though, you can cover expenses with a lower restock percentage.

If you don't want to change your payout, consider a smaller ship instead; you're more likely to cover expenses if those expenses are smaller.
[Nov 10, 2016 7:22:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deadtooth

I have a few ideas I would like to see, of course not mentioning ADVERTISING THE GAME.

I have done a lot of events in guilds/clans I ran in other games, most were great successes and people enjoyed them a lot. Upwards of 100 people at a time, usually no less than 40, so this should be right in range with the current expectations of player involvement here.

1. Scavenger hunts! Typically in games with levels (or content accessibility ranges), we would create large lists of items of all rarity ranges and would give them to everyone participating in item groups based on the player's level or what range of content they could reasonably access. It could work on a global initialization (server-wide event) or an individual level (find a scavenger hunt list in loot). The best thing I had ever seen happen during the scavenger hunts was a worthless random item that dropped everywhere on everyone's list, but diabolically low odds of finding, and one random guy shouted he was selling it coincidentally right next to where we started the scavenger hunt. That guy got rich after a group of people started bidding over each other for it.

2. Global map races. We would take weak people and strong people (and middle/middle people) and group them together and make them race (the slow way, no teleports or paid flying rides etc.) from one end of the global map to the other, taking whatever route they chose so long as they did it the slow way (usually on foot). The hilarity lasted the entire race, listening to everyone complain or laugh at how hard it turned out to be to keep everyone else, since the whole group had to cross the finish for their win to count.

3. Arena battles. This was by far the most fun, we would do individual fights, free-for-alls (the best hands-down), and group battles. This can be worked any way possible, so long as it is live in some form for everyone not currently participating to enjoy watching. It created the best event environment, people had the most fun, and it kept everyone active and enjoying the event.

4. Even a moderator-run trivia event either at a specific location or using a special (maybe would need to be created) chat channel.

5. Or a luck-of-the-draw type event with tokens given or earned throughout the event to be spent on random bags, boxes or chests with the chance to win something unique, special or complete garbage.

I can't think of any others we did right now, but the idea is to get everyone involved, regardless of their skill range or player level range. These ideas can be reworked to fit any mold, and gives the added benefit of possibly having to create new permanent content (items, locations, or even actual new game content) to be used in the events. Also, all of these events can be recurring to keep players involved or actively looking forward to events.

If events are made active that aren't in the typical form of events currently being run (AND OF COURSE THE GAME IS ADVERTISED FOR NEW USERS) it will create much more player involvement and more importantly user interest.
Dreadtooth of the Emerald Ocean.

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"
[Nov 15, 2016 9:51:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deadtooth

A voting system, doesn't matter what we're voting on. An in-game voting system seems perfect, since pirates love to vote. They vote on where to sail to pillage or plunder, they vote on where to set a base of operations, they vote on trashing the rickety old ship for a newly stolen one. And since the game uses social interaction via islands (particularly inns), voting can be extended onto islands in a large number of ways.

Something to consider.
Dreadtooth of the Emerald Ocean.

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"
[Nov 15, 2016 10:17:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates