• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4408 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Bobsaget6

Navagation Sucks! Reply to this Post

I think the best I've ever done is a "Fine" rating.

Why is this puzzle so hard?

Real World Navigation with a map isn't this hard. I should know, since I have to locate an oil well over 100 miles away from the nearest metropolitan with a crude hand drawn map from a person who failed the 5th grade yet still makes $100,000/yr with descriptions like "turn right at the funny looking scrub".

I can get "Fair" ratings by letting the game sit untouched for five minutes, just as long as I don't booch it.

Yet, if I get three "Blimey"s in a league, I also get a "Fair"! What gives!!!

P.S. I also heavily edited this. There would otherwise be a good number of ****s, *****s, mega****s, ***holes, ********ers, ****lickers, ****ers, and ****-enjoying ****bags that I edited for virgin ears.
[Sep 15, 2016 8:22:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Navigation help needed Reply to this Post

As this thread does not appear to be making any suggestions about the Navigation puzzle but instead is asking for help with it, I'm moving it from the Game Design forum to the Tips & Tricks, Questions & Answers forum.
----------------------------------------
[Sep 15, 2016 9:43:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Eyes

Re: Navagation Sucks! Reply to this Post

hehe xd

[Sep 16, 2016 2:04:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XBumble

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1940
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=368811#368811
Captain of The Wreckin' Crew - Kirin Island, Cerulean Ocean.

'Are ye prepared to meet your maker and ask for yer money back?'
[Sep 16, 2016 3:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Why is this puzzle so hard?

There are a couple of possibilities. There are some people that just don't click with a particular puzzle. For me, it's patching. Dnav, in particular, requires a type of thinking that a lot of people don't use, with the way the three rings interact.

If you're using a mouse, switch over to using keys, I find that easier. Dnav doesn't use a mouse, what was I thinking? Ignore this part.

Also, the pool of duty navigators is far smaller than any other puzzle out there, so proportionally, most of the people doing it are very good at it. And since the rankings are based on how you do proportionally to everyone else, breaking into the upper ranks might be challenging

Real World Navigation with a map isn't this hard. I should know, since I have to locate an oil well over 100 miles away from the nearest metropolitan with a crude hand drawn map from a person who failed the 5th grade yet still makes $100,000/yr with descriptions like "turn right at the funny looking scrub".

Ha! Tell me about it. I once was part of a project that was moving the electronic maps of Alberta from the antique mainframes of the 70s to something that computers with modern, powerful 80486 processors could take full advantage of. The occasional descriptions of "line angled to avoid rocks" were a challenge to figure out where, precisely, they were. But once the lines got onto Blood land, descriptions changed to "line turns left", with the antique mainframes' plotted map showing this power line doing an inward spiral as the line "angles left" for over half the utility poles, proved to be a challenge to migrate to something where they wanted each pole and line accurate to within 10 cm, since they were sharing this with every other agency in the province that had computerized maps.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Sep 16, 2016 4:23:23 PM]
[Sep 16, 2016 4:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nouer

It's hard for beginners because the low-star boards don't give you much of a score bonus (hardly any, actually) for completing them. As you progress through the puzzle and the boards become harder, you'll notice that completing them gives your indicator a bigger boost. The longer you stay on the puzzle, the better your chances of getting more than a "Fine" score.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nouer at Sep 16, 2016 2:07:50 PM]
[Sep 16, 2016 2:07:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Navagation Leaves Much to be Desired! Reply to this Post

Hmm, never heard of a "Fair rating", but you also mention "Fine", which is a duty report score, so I'll assume that the former means the latter.

And thanks for the edit. Some players, and especially some OMs, take a dim view of profanity wherever it's found. I am more likely to be helpful if I'm not being cussed at.

Navigation is a pathological example of one of the general oddities in Puzzle Pirates puzzles. The lower-level boards score poorly, and therefore present an obstacle to leveling up. This is also present to some extent in bilging.

What you need to do is partly just hang in there. Also you need to be aware of what constitutes a session so you are adequately registering enough decent scores to increase your rank over time. While navigating it is easy to either have many very short sessions with poor scores, or too few very long sessions. With too much of the latter, it won't matter what your scores are, you won't rank up in a timely fashion at all.

I would guess that the best session length is ten leagues, give or take. This may vary with your skill level, but you want a session long enough that you can score a number of good constellations and have a good final duty report, and short enough that you won't risk too many booches or nadirs in your ongoing scores. Once you achieve that "sweet spot" in session length, and if you really are worth your salt in Navigation, you will find yourself leveling up in a timely fashion.

As you progress through the puzzle and the boards become harder, you'll notice that completing them gives your indicator a bigger boost. The longer you stay on the puzzle, the better your chances of getting more than a "Fine" score.

Ah, yes. Navigating in one epic long session allows you to progress through boards and thus increase your bonus. Unfortunately, it does not allow you to rank up easily, and attempting a long session by a low-level player will make it more likely for you to booch up a harder board and thus reduce your average for the duty report. So it's not useful, IMHO, to have epic long sessions just to get to those harder boards. Play efficiently and excel at the easy boards and you should enjoy increasing rank in short order.

Ljamethyst - Ultimate Navigator, memorized Sage and Emerald Oceans 100%.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 4 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Sep 16, 2016 2:45:33 PM]
[Sep 16, 2016 2:37:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates