• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25985 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
kartossedai

Re: Greedy Brigands First Impressions Reply to this Post

Thanks for install help, it installed fine after "repairing" the java connection itself. I guess the problem wasn't anything in the Test folder, but that there was a folder at all...? and it might have been auto trying to install overtop of normal PP, which was obviously a bad idea.

Oh wait, it somehow corrupted normal PP, even though I specified it to install in a completely different folder, and normal PP has somehow vanished completely in the span of 5 minutes. Now the normal install is giving me the same java website error thing. -_-
----------------------------------------
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Aug 13, 2016 10:24:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

1st tier rumble trophy: Emerald Blackjack. Sending X size strikes against greedy barbarians.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Aug 14, 2016 1:33:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Thanks for install help, it installed fine after "repairing" the java connection itself. I guess the problem wasn't anything in the Test folder, but that there was a folder at all...? and it might have been auto trying to install overtop of normal PP, which was obviously a bad idea.

Oh wait, it somehow corrupted normal PP, even though I specified it to install in a completely different folder, and normal PP has somehow vanished completely in the span of 5 minutes. Now the normal install is giving me the same java website error thing. -_-

Delete all the files (not folders) within %appdata%\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates

Then run the regular installer again - No if it says do you want to play, Yes to reinstall. Make sure the directory it's installing to is the regular Puzzle Pirates one and not Test.

Drop me a PM if still stuck.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Aug 14, 2016 2:37:44 AM]
[Aug 14, 2016 2:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

Sagacious wrote: 

Delete all the files (not folders) within %appdata%\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates

Then run the regular installer again - No if it says do you want to play, Yes to reinstall. Make sure the directory it's installing to is the regular Puzzle Pirates one and not Test.

Drop me a PM if still stuck.

Thanks, it was installed in multiple places somehow, so that cleared it up and let me do a full install and manually tell it where the javam.exe was. Now I just have to do a pilly and see if all that let me get the new graphics downloaded for Ice!
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Aug 14, 2016 3:08:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

Is there any hope of in the future having the option to winning the treasure they wear as a wearable, and maybe we could make that choice (or sell it in the palace shop for poe if we change our minds later?) I realize this probably messes with the payout on the ship, but I'm sure there's people who would want those golden eyepatches and whatnot.

edit: Also I want to ask if there's any way to change this one thing. If you have a block, and click the greedy, if your dropping pieces are both the same color, with a normal one and a breaker, the entire block will turn back to normal right before it hits, and I assume does not hit as an attempted treasure shakedown since it's no longer the special pieces. I don't think I saw mention of this in any of the threads, but I might have missed it.
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kartossedai at Aug 14, 2016 11:58:42 AM]
[Aug 14, 2016 10:06:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Is there any hope of in the future having the option to winning the treasure they wear as a wearable, and maybe we could make that choice (or sell it in the palace shop for poe if we change our minds later?) I realize this probably messes with the payout on the ship, but I'm sure there's people who would want those golden eyepatches and whatnot.

Do it the other way around. Win/trade stuff in for patterns you can use at shoppes if you want those gold eyepatches.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 14, 2016 2:47:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Actually, I wouldn't mind being able to trade in items in order to be able to customize the color of my injuries. Not sure if that's really doable though. But if I had to stack that request, I'd position it along with the normal personalization/customization updates that get done (adding new furniture, introducing new colors, new portrait backgrounds, etc)
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Aug 15, 2016 9:34:05 AM]
[Aug 15, 2016 9:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Oh my god this is out. Oh my god I am subscribing, brb
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Aug 15, 2016 5:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I really like the ideas suggested to both be able to trade in for the jewelry (probably just use the existing ... insert shudder here ... trading post), as well as the suggestion to customize injuries. I'd love a purple eyepatch.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Aug 15, 2016 6:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Sinistre666

I'm soooo excited to try out this new pillaging feature!
May the stress be in your favor, and the Chi power in mine.
Long Live LandYachtz
[Aug 15, 2016 7:01:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

bailet wrote: 
I suppose it depends on the type of treasure found in the greedy brigand boxes, but if there are more than one tier of chest, wouldn't it make sense to weight the loot drop from the current ramp of the ship? For instance, the highest tier of box is more likely to drop for a ship that is 5 - 0 on an extremely hard route than it is for a 3 - 0 ship on an easy route?

I worry that this is just going to increase the sense of elitism that so many players have cautioned against in the Game Design thread. If the best treasure only comes from the hardest difficulty ramps, then players are going to screen their jobbers and exclude non-elite pirates.

I suspect that this is good sense overall, as yes, most of us did request that, with reason. But I also suspect that once the newness wears off, there will be people asking for a harder version of greedy brigands. If it's not all that hard to code, how about extending the concept out one (and probably only one) other area of the game that could use a bit of TLC... Haunted Seas graveyards.

I don't think this is something that really needs to show up in Atlantis. Thematically it doesn't fit as much, and there's not as much need for it. I would like to see Atlantis upgraded at some point, but... something else instead, please.

I'm ambivalent about CI. I could see it there, thematically, better than Atlantis. But It's not needed either. There's demand for CIs, and it's not like you don't end up swimming in chests there already as it is.

But HS was designed, officially, to be a place where you ran from graveyard to graveyard. Ironically, it ended up being the place where you sunk ships, while Atlantis ended up being the place you went from citadel to citadel. So adding a bit to it would be nice.

Assuming, of course, that there aren't any programming complications.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 17, 2016 5:53:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I like Gurn's idea of putting this in HS.

As far as Bailet's comment (and Forculus' reply) about weighting the loot drop, I will wait until we have actual chests (not substituted SMH ones) before passing judgement on it - but my inclination would be to weight it instead on block size; with practice, even unskilled swordfighters can make at least one large block, and the ship benefits more from more pirates aboard than from higher stats.

I realized one of Forculus' key questions about this feature never really got addressed: How do the number of brigands feel? Since the fix-barbarian-bug update, it has seemed right to me. If you lose a fray against a tough ship and re-engage, you still get some, but less, greedies, instead of "lost a battle? No greedies. Period." My only question on balancing number of greedies would be on large ships, which we haven't been able to adequately test yet.

I've seen more than half (4 of 7) be greedy, which isn't really that extreme for a 10-win-streak-almost-elite-pillage, but might be overkill in a 30-greenie fray. At the same time, getting only one or two greedies makes sense on a sloop, but seems extremely unfair for a 10-man WB. Again, we'll have to get enough mates to test this before I can decide.

Given how I like the current state of things, I may just wait to test more until the next update (hopefully putting in unique stuff!)

I know this has been said, but it's worth reiterating AGAIN: Thank you, Forculus, for listening to us, and for your hard work.

Edit(s): I can speek gud. Collug helpd me wryt.
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Edit 2 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Aug 17, 2016 7:37:09 PM]
[Aug 17, 2016 7:35:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

re numbers: we've been trying to figure out a pattern, but with so many variables plus the notion of randomness, there are only suspicions:

- win/lose, although it seems there are neither separate meters for rumble/sf, nor do they consistently help each other. sf after rumble has greedies, but not the other way round (1st-2nd battle)
- league difficulty
- bnav (of the previous battle. it seemed that the number post 1-0 win is way lower than after 5-0 win, again examples of 1st-2nd battles. a 1vs4 sort of lower.)
- jobbers added, possibly jobbers lost

the problem here seems to be that once you get the first one, you keep expecting them, which sounds nice and addictive, but i imagine on production we'll be at the mercy of hop on- hop off jobbers, kraken generation. even if jobbers leaving lowers the numbers only by a little, in creating the need for new jobbers the effect is enhanced. it feels like emotional blackmail to choose between whatever's calling you to rl and the welfare of the voyage you'd be quitting. is there a way to leave jobber variations out of it?

oh and, i got Pile! it's absolutely my cup of tea coffee to have a pirate elbow-deep in gems. (Edit: this irresistibly brings to mind "They drink out of clay, and they cannot tell a gem from a bead of glass.")

yet another edit, sorry: i've just realized the only expeditions on ice are BK or pink yeti with booched portraits -- not only the merchants are missing, but th and forage as well. is there some overwhelming priority given to BKs since testing times, that was never turned off?

and a small request: if it's not too much trouble, might the black market move on from series IV to V?
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Edit 2 times, last edit by saintdiana at Aug 18, 2016 12:26:31 AM]
[Aug 17, 2016 11:10:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Focusing on terribly, terribly important things:
-The official doc pic Greedy_rumble.png only shows highlighted single balls, but no groups.
-Can there be different adjectives for greedy pirate names, or would it be too much trouble to code (since currently all bots on a ship work off the same adjective list)?
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Sep 12, 2016 5:53:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

budclare2 wrote: 
-The official doc pic Greedy_rumble.png only shows highlighted single balls, but no groups.
Yeah, I'm still in the process of getting the documentation set up and the screenshots are not the best. If someone feels inspired to send me really good screenshots of SF and Rumble that demonstrates a single large block of 1 color that can be used to attack a Greedy brigand, I'll use it in the official YPPedia page and give you a Forculus egg as thanks!
Update: Lincoln and Owlwhisperer are providing some improved screenshots for the documentation page.

budclare2 wrote: 
-Can there be different adjectives for greedy pirate names, or would it be too much trouble to code (since currently all bots on a ship work off the same adjective list)?
This would be nice, unfortunately there's a bit of a catch because of the way we dynamically swap these pirates in when the battle starts. It might still be possible eventually, will just take some extra work.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Forculus at Sep 13, 2016 12:21:48 PM]
[Sep 12, 2016 10:14:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

budclare2 wrote: 
This would be nice, unfortunately there's a bit of a catch because of the way we dynamically swap these pirates in when the battle starts. It might still be possible eventually, will just take some extra work.

If it's a lot of extra work, my vote is to not worry about it. It's one of those things that would be nice, but not noticeable if it's not there.
[Sep 12, 2016 12:25:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Forculus wrote: 
budclare2 wrote: 
Yeah, I'm still in the process of getting the documentation set up and the screenshots are not the best. If someone feels inspired to send me really good screenshots of SF and Rumble that demonstrates a single large block of 1 color that can be used to attack a Greedy brigand, I'll use it in the official YPPedia page and give you a Forculus egg as thanks!

But then they wouldn't have Blueforc in them. It'll be sad. :(

/e gave you a piratey nickname nom de ARR! after seeing the screenshots

I guess we could just photoshop you in...
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Sep 12, 2016 2:53:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

it was never mentioned either way, so i can now confirm that the jewelled sword rack functions well, and surrounding it with other items or walking around it won't make it flicker or otherwise glitch (got some gingerbread that does so, it wasn't out of question). will take a while for the bludgeon trunk to be ready as well.

with this, however, i tried out the greedy purse, and have to ask -- are those sums that come out just inflated ice rewards? it seemed way too much poe, that has an almost prohibitive effect on the designs. in fact, it becomes cheaper to trade 10 trinkets and pay the 100k+, then use all your other trinkets to win back your money.

edit to add: bludgeon trunk ready, i placed it with lid open, right behind the sword rack, no issues.
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by saintdiana at Sep 15, 2016 12:14:08 AM]
[Sep 14, 2016 12:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Not sure if anyone's noticed this, but for Rumble bruised balls, and possibly SF sprinkles, the pieces are outlined with the colour they will turn into. This is a potentially exploitable bug here. Look at the top right side of the Rumble board in the following link. The yellows are highlighted, including one or two bruised balls.
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/File:Greedy_rumble_2.png <--- Just copy and paste this link.... Linking feature as well as picture feature in posts are broken.... lol...
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Gunnerfreak at Sep 20, 2016 5:02:21 AM]
[Sep 20, 2016 4:59:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

Not sure if anyone's noticed this, but for Rumble bruised balls, and possibly SF sprinkles, the pieces are outlined with the colour they will turn into. This is a potentially exploitable bug here. Look at the top right side of the Rumble board in the following link. The yellows are highlighted, including one or two bruised balls.
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/File:Greedy_rumble_2.png <--- Just copy and paste this link.... Linking feature as well as picture feature in posts are broken.... lol...

link works.. just not the right link :p
https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/images/7/75/Greedy_rumble_2.png
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Sep 20, 2016 9:04:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Pfft, thanks, mate. :P Any advice about how to be able to see images that people post or is that broken? :P
[Sep 20, 2016 9:20:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Pfft, thanks, mate. :P Any advice about how to be able to see images that people post or is that broken? :P

The image tags work, just not with the link you used.

Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Sep 20, 2016 10:59:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Gunnerfreak wrote: 
Not sure if anyone's noticed this, but for Rumble bruised balls, and possibly SF sprinkles, the pieces are outlined with the colour they will turn into.

Thanks for catching this! I am updating Ice right now with a bugfix release to take care of this. This problem only showed up in Rumble, SF was unaffected.
[Sep 20, 2016 12:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
etieti

Gunnerfreak wrote: 
Not sure if anyone's noticed this, but for Rumble bruised balls, and possibly SF sprinkles, the pieces are outlined with the colour they will turn into.

Thanks for catching this! I am updating Ice right now with a bugfix release to take care of this. This problem only showed up in Rumble, SF was unaffected.

Any clue when this will be released to production oceans?

Few days weeks or months?
Emerald
Cerulean
[Sep 20, 2016 12:46:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

etieti wrote: 

Most likely within 1 or 2 weeks.
[Sep 20, 2016 1:22:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

etieti wrote: 

Most likely within 1 or 2 weeks.

Good to hear, I am glad you are taking the time to fix everything before it hits production :)
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Sep 20, 2016 2:10:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Gunnerfreak wrote: 

No problem, mate! Ye're quite welcome! :3
[Sep 21, 2016 3:31:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates