• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7865 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
SirCarl67

Elimination Bake-Off 9am Sat 6th August: Win a Monkey Reply to this Post

After a long absence I am getting back into event running, this event will be a multi-station elimination bake-off. I will be using my Alt Cupid-West.

Prizes

1st. Tan Monkey Familiar and Mint Signet Ring
2nd Tropic Class sloop renamed the Baking Champa and mint signet ring
3rd. 200k and mint signet ring
4th 100k and mint signet ring

Format

At 9am (game time) up to 70 contestants are jobbed onto the GF Puzzling Champa of the crew Blackade. Please apply via the notice board where it will be under evading.

Once on board take a Rigging, Patching or Bilging station, do not carp or sail. If all the stations of your preferred puzzle are taken please choose another.
We will try to stop jobbing at 70 (the total sail, carp and bilge stations on a GF) but if we accidentally job too many people then stations are first come first served and those too late to get a station will not be able to compete.

At 09:15 (or when we are full) the ship will be set to swabbie transport, I will ask for silence while I give a quick rundown of the rules. Please do not use vessel or crew chat after I ask for silence.

If we accidentally job too many people th

Round 1 Rig / Patch / Bilge

In this round numbers will be reduced to 30 or half the total contestants whichever is less.
If there are contestentants not on a station they will be asked to take a rig, patch or bilge station. Once stations are taken the number of pirates to be eliminated from each duty station will be calculated. This will be such that the proportion going though in each puzzle is as close to the same as possible. (If the ship is full it will be 17 of 30 riggers will be eliminated, 14 of 24 patchers and 9 of 16 bilgers.

We will set a route of appropriate length and the bake-off will begin. No one will be eliminated at the first league, this will allow you to get up to speed. At each league point after that the lowest performing pirate on each station will be planked. Once the required number of pirates are eliminated no more will be planked from that station Pirates should stay on station the whole time, or dismiss and immediately go back on, if a pirate disconnects they will be given about 30 seconds to log back on. If they do not do so they will be planked if at a league point the worst performer was planked due leaving the puzzle (voluntarily or by being planked due to D/C) no further pirate will be eliminated at the LP for that duty.

When we are down to 30 (or half) the contestants the round will end and the ship will port.

Round 2 Sail

After porting everyone left will take a sail station and we will depart again Once again at each league point other than the first the lowest scorer will be planked. This will continue until we are down to half the remaining contestants with a maximum of 12 and a minimum of 6. (i.e. if the ship was full at the start, 30 survived round one but only 12 will survive round 2, if we started with 40 then 20 would get though round 1 and 10 would survive round 2.
Swabbies will be used to keep damage down.

Final: Round 3 Carp

Once again we will port and the remaining finalists will take a carp station. At each league point after the first the lowest scoring pirate will be eliminated, until one remains they will be the winner.
Finalists will be allowed to stay on board until the end of the event, though they are asked to leave their station once eliminated.
Swabbies will be used on sail and bilge .
----------------------------------------
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Edit 3 times, last edit by SirCarl67 at Jul 16, 2016 10:44:51 AM]
[Jul 13, 2016 11:56:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Elimination Bake-Off 9am Sat 6th August: Win a Monkey Reply to this Post

Sounds like a lot of fun, and also sounds well-organized! It might actually get me up early on a Saturday to play.

I do have two questions:
1) As the number of pirates left decreases, especially in rounds 2 and 3, will the replacement swabbies be assigned to stations? Or, phrased a different way, will the leagues become longer (in real time) near the end of the competition?
2) Are the signet rings re-gifted existing ones, or new ones handed out by the OMs? If existing, do we know what colors will be given?
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jul 13, 2016 1:05:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Sounds like a lot of fun, and also sounds well-organized! It might actually get me up early on a Saturday to play.

I do have two questions:
1) As the number of pirates left decreases, especially in rounds 2 and 3, will the replacement swabbies be assigned to stations? Or, phrased a different way, will the leagues become longer (in real time) near the end of the competition?
2) Are the signet rings re-gifted existing ones, or new ones handed out by the OMs? If existing, do we know what colors will be given?

Sorry if I buried it but I did say that swabbies will be put to work on the stations not manned by competitors. For the final I will not put any swabbies on carp so there might be a little damage at the end when there are only a couple of people on station but it shouldn't be enough to get any bilge.

The signet rings will be shiny and new, I meant to ask the OMs for mint as I always wear mint but I have just noticed I forgot in my request for assistance. Our wonderful OMs are also providing the monkey so that will be unnamed.

Sorry if it is early for you, I live in the UK and wanted the event over before the blockade window.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SirCarl67 at Jul 13, 2016 5:12:40 PM]
[Jul 13, 2016 5:12:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Thanks for the answers!

Sorry if it is early for you, I live in the UK and wanted the event over before the blockade window.
It's 10 am for me. It's not really that early, I'm just lazy on Saturdays.

I know that the sail round would knock me off, if I even lasted that long, but it would still be fun to compete.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jul 14, 2016 8:20:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Round 1: rigging bilging and patching

Should be renamed to "who's got the best bot"
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Jul 14, 2016 12:16:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

Sailing should have probably been first and these puzzles left for last. Someones bot is going to knock out a bunch of actual pirates and they won't be able to sail. Feelsbadman
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jul 14, 2016 1:23:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Sailing should have probably been first and these puzzles left for last. Someones bot is going to knock out a bunch of actual pirates and they won't be able to sail. Feelsbadman

I must admit I don't know what puzzles have bots, how good they are at being spotted and what standard they are.

Having said that if I did it the other way then you could argue that if you can sail well enough to beat half the people who join your bot can win the monkey.

Bilge had to be in the first round or the maximum players would have to go down (or we have a 2nd ship that makes things more complicated). The second round had to be sail or rig due to the number of stations required. As a traditionalist I decided to have the original puzzles at the deep end of the tournament, but if I run this sort of event again I will probably alter the order for some variety.
[Jul 14, 2016 1:59:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Thank you to everyone who participated.

The winners were

1st Qrk
2nd Mwau
3rd Nickbush
4th Acses

Congratulations to them and also Tendre and Pancakelover who made the final but missed out on a prize.

Thanks to Cheryll, Sassperilla, and OMs for there help in this event.
[Aug 6, 2016 10:37:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates