• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3033 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
fiobre

Allied Flag Chat Reply to this Post

I do not know if this has been mentioned before but I think an /ao chat could be very useful (allied flag chat) in the game to speak directly to all flag members allied with your flag
----------------------------------------
Axcor
Midnight Ocean
[Jun 29, 2005 10:54:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

Re: Allied Flag Chat Reply to this Post

Please god no.
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Jun 29, 2005 10:55:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astridfin

yes it was brought up before and I think it was rejected.
A poe for your thoughts.
20 k Poe to act it out with you.
[Jun 29, 2005 10:56:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Ever seen that alliance chart someone posted?

Yeah.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jun 29, 2005 10:59:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Eyes

My god, its pure genious. Theres no better way to break down the horrible tangled mass of gigantic alliances than making them really really really annoying to be a part of.

Quick! Implement it at once!

[Jun 29, 2005 11:03:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Chat to senior officers in flags I'm allied with:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=103177#103177

Faulkston,
and you thought /fofficer was spammy...
[Jun 29, 2005 11:11:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

please no pleaseeee noooo
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jun 29, 2005 11:34:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

I figure if ye really want that make a crew in each flag just for officers for blockades have all the ships and officers in that crew just for the blockades and there ye go
"They'd already have the plank spank mark on their butts." Emerson, June 16th 2005
Come join us forum tarts at M-tos.da.ru/yppforum/
[Jun 29, 2005 11:42:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

It might work if only the monarch of each flag could use it.

No, actually, it still wouldn't work.
[Jun 29, 2005 11:44:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
msparky

The only good thing about this is it would be a penalty for forming an alliance with every flag you can find.
Cheers,

Priklypete
[Jul 1, 2005 1:32:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

It would have the same effect as if you had a hearty chat. Since every flag is allied to different ones, you couldn't carry out a proper conversation.

However,

If you could make an Allied Broadcast for calling for help in blockades or perhaps calling for mates to help you pillage that might be an option. I'd only make it available to royalty though.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Jul 1, 2005 2:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Whiplash wrote: 
It would have the same effect as if you had a hearty chat. Since every flag is allied to different ones, you couldn't carry out a proper conversation.

Anyone suggesting a new chat mode should first ask themselves if it passes this criterion.

Faulkston,
hearties don't have to be mutual, nor do alliances
[Jul 1, 2005 3:04:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
meitchrfoo

suggestion ... why not make the addition of a /on command. Something like /crewon /crewoff. /aon /aoff. That way, we could elect to join said chats, or during things like pillages/etc, they can elect to turn off what you do not need.

Okay, I changed my mind midstream...perhaps certain ones at certain times need to stay on. Crew has no option to turn it off. On a blockade, officers of the blockading crew or flag can elect to turn on mandatory posting (like a flag broadcast).

something liek that...don't blame me, just moved about 50 file boxes....bleh.

me
Balky wrote: 
cleaver has the most piratey looking face... he's just ....soooo.... sooo... squishable

Kittyn - princess of Raptus Regaliter
[Jul 1, 2005 7:34:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pezohare

we aleady have /tell <pirate> message ...

why not have /ally <flag name> message....

You would have to be royalty to use it and royalty to receive it (you would also need to be allies). And you're specifying the flag, so it won't bleed over the alliance list.

[size=9]Hiya kitts!

PezzA (T-total since 2005.06.29)
Rehabilitated Drunk & Senior Officer of the crew: The Pioneer Pillagers
[Jul 1, 2005 9:27:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Ah, but what if you added both royalty-between-allied-flags chat *AND* the ability to mute specific chat channels (which mute setting would only last that log-in session.)

eg: /mute fo
ASTROLABE

To tl;dr-ers... is this because you have the attention span of a stunned badger or the intelligence of one? :-P

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Jul 1, 2005 9:42:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pezohare

As far as i know, muting chat channels has been discussed at length.

The general consensus was against the idea in that you would either appear to be ignoring people (and i guess you would be) or would spam them with 'not listening to this channel' messages. (and let's not underestimate the diplomatic faux pas of muting any potential alliance channels!)

As far as getting messages on existing crew/flag channels you dont want , it's best just to grin and bear it mate.
PezzA (T-total since 2005.06.29)
Rehabilitated Drunk & Senior Officer of the crew: The Pioneer Pillagers
[Jul 1, 2005 9:52:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
asteroidi

Bump

Seeing that the Last Posts in this thread have been made in 2005 made me think of the importance of an Alliance wide chat in 2005 and now almost 5 years later ... According to the new developments the game requires a chat like this . It would give huge advantages in notifying the whole web for Wars, Blockades , Events and other things . And for more it would affect the Social Life in game positively .
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Apr 3, 2010 6:45:15 PM]
[Dec 28, 2009 4:13:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Did you not read the arguments against this above your post?
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 28, 2009 8:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wwendy

Bump.

I think its a good idea
Conffuciuss (Drakoding)
Prince of Ultimate Phantoms
Senior Officer of Phantom of the Regiment
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Apr 3, 2010 6:45:30 PM]
[Apr 3, 2010 6:16:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Please, read the thread BEFORE you make comments, as it is clearly spelled out why this is a bad idea.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Apr 3, 2010 6:46:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Drakoding's referring to allied flag broadcast rather than allied flag chat. I noted that even allied flag broadcast wouldn't really be workable.

The problems with allied flag chat:
  • Recipient replies: Flags A and B allied to a given flag C may not in turn be allied. Either flags A and B won't see the entire conversation going across the channel (only C would) or they'll be surprised to see flags they're not allied with using the channel
  • Misuse (spamming)

The problems with allied flag broadcast:
  • Recipients responding with their allied flag broadcast: It's possible that without the alliance web being complete (every flag allied to every other flag), that different flags in the alliance web will receive different and incomplete parts of the entire "conversation"
  • Misuse (spamming)

The problem of muting allied flag chat/broadcast to deal with spam would be a potential diplomatic faux pas for ignoring communications of an ally, possibly through receiving a status message like "pirate X has muted this channel".
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Faulkston at Apr 3, 2010 7:38:46 PM]
[Apr 3, 2010 6:55:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Please god no.

I realized this is bumped several years, but still...QFT.
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Apr 6, 2010 3:59:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates