• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4082 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Tmnagis

Choosing which island to live on Reply to this Post

Hi,

Coming back to the game after several years. I want to buy a right-facing manor, and I notice that a few islands are noticeably more populated. I wanted to live (setting the manor as my home) on an island whose population seems very sparse, but want to know what advantages and disadvantages there are of living on a island with a high population (such as Admiral Island, whose inn is always packed whereas every other inn I've checked is empty except for NPPs). Does having a higher population mean that prices for goods are generally lower due to competition?

Thanks!
----------------------------------------
Heavywepsguy on Viridian RIP 2012. Buy doubs or your hard work goes to dust when you go on hiatus...

Geegeenore on Emerald

Name will remain ironic until my Gunning can get somewhere higher than Proficient and Able. Nvm, I'm master
[Jun 30, 2016 7:44:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Choosing which island to live on Reply to this Post

I really can't speak to most of your points; I set my home in my one shoppe because that's the most convenient. But there is one point I feel I can speak to:

Does having a higher population mean that prices for goods are generally lower due to competition?
In my experience, you do pay a little less around these islands, due largely to a large number of inexperienced shopkeepers who operate at a loss, forcing everyone to match their prices or get no sales. However, if you really want items at a low price, find an area near wood and iron spawns (since rum, ships, and cannonballs all use both).

Speaking specifically of Emerald Ocean (since you mentioned Admiral Island), in my (admittedly limited) experience, pretty much anywhere on the ocean other than Admiral (and, to a small extent, Aimuari) has that "uninhabited" feel, with only a few shopkeepers, empty inns, and empty seas around the islands (except for the occasional SMH spawn).
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jun 30, 2016 8:21:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Tmnagis

Thanks for your advice!

Is there any sort of tool/resource/app that can tell me the population sizes of each archipelago?

And besides the trade route profiteer apps like YARRG, any way to find out where I might find the cheapest furniture/swords? I noticed that the Orion Archipelago has 5 wood/iron spawns, the most out of the archipelagoes that have manors in them, but the prices there aren't exactly the cheapest.

Lastly, I wanted to check out the Stork Archipelago, but have never set foot on one of its islands, so I cannot whisk there. Is there any convenient way to visit there without asking for an invite or sailing interarch there yourself?
Heavywepsguy on Viridian RIP 2012. Buy doubs or your hard work goes to dust when you go on hiatus...

Geegeenore on Emerald

Name will remain ironic until my Gunning can get somewhere higher than Proficient and Able. Nvm, I'm master
[Jun 30, 2016 9:23:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Is there any sort of tool/resource/app that can tell me the population sizes of each archipelago?

There isn't any really good public tool to tell you the population size of each island/arch/ocean. I have a private tool that uses the yoweb interface, but it really isn't popular enough for me to spend the time to make it public.

As of today, Emerald is as follows:
Emerald ocean:  10271

old ocean: Sage 7245
old ocean: Hunter 3026

arch: Gull 5128 Sage 6/ 8 colonized
arch: Orion 1737 Hunter 5/ 7 colonized
arch: Ibis 905 Sage 5/ 8 colonized
arch: Stork 779 Sage 5/ 8 colonized
arch: Ursa 764 Hunter 4/ 7 colonized
arch: Canis 396 Hunter 2/ 7 colonized
arch: Pelican 366 Sage 6/ 9 colonized
arch: Eagle 67 Hunter 4/ 5 colonized
arch: Horse Head 35 Hunter 2/ 5 colonized
arch: Osprey 31 Sage 3/ 7 colonized
arch: Pleiades 27 Hunter 4/ 7 colonized
arch: Dodo 14 Sage 1/ 3 colonized
arch: Tern 11 Sage 2/ 3 colonized
arch: Puffin 11 Sage 1/ 3 colonized

island: Admiral Island 4136 lg Sage Gull
island: Aimuari Island 936 lg Hunter Orion
island: Wensleydale 495 *lg Sage Gull
island: Lincoln Island 440 *lg Sage Gull
island: Caravanserai Island 428 lg Sage Ibis
island: Chachapoya Island 392 *lg Hunter Orion
island: Armstrong Island 388 lg Hunter Canis
island: Sayers Rock 382 lg Hunter Ursa
island: Scrimshaw Island 376 lg Sage Stork
island: Quetzal Island 370 *lg Hunter Orion
island: Alkaid Island 367 lg Hunter Ursa
island: Barbary Island 363 lg Sage Ibis
island: Bowditch Island 342 lg Sage Stork
island: Greenwich Island 166 *lg Sage Pelican
island: Descartes Isle 134 *lg Sage Pelican
island: Arakoua Island 104 lg Sage Ibis
island: Isle of Kent 52 med Sage Gull

colonized islands: lg: 16 med: 10 out: 24 total: 50/92 54.3%
Sage : lg: 10 med: 5 out: 14 total: 29/49 59.2%
Hunter : lg: 6 med: 5 out: 10 total: 21/43 48.8%

Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 1, 2016 6:57:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tmnagis

There isn't any really good public tool to tell you the population size of each island/arch/ocean. I have a private tool that uses the yoweb interface, but it really isn't popular enough for me to spend the time to make it public.

As of today, Emerald is as follows:
Emerald ocean:  10271

old ocean: Sage 7245
old ocean: Hunter 3026

arch: Gull 5128 Sage 6/ 8 colonized
arch: Orion 1737 Hunter 5/ 7 colonized
arch: Ibis 905 Sage 5/ 8 colonized
arch: Stork 779 Sage 5/ 8 colonized
arch: Ursa 764 Hunter 4/ 7 colonized
arch: Canis 396 Hunter 2/ 7 colonized
arch: Pelican 366 Sage 6/ 9 colonized
arch: Eagle 67 Hunter 4/ 5 colonized
arch: Horse Head 35 Hunter 2/ 5 colonized
arch: Osprey 31 Sage 3/ 7 colonized
arch: Pleiades 27 Hunter 4/ 7 colonized
arch: Dodo 14 Sage 1/ 3 colonized
arch: Tern 11 Sage 2/ 3 colonized
arch: Puffin 11 Sage 1/ 3 colonized

island: Admiral Island 4136 lg Sage Gull
island: Aimuari Island 936 lg Hunter Orion
island: Wensleydale 495 *lg Sage Gull
island: Lincoln Island 440 *lg Sage Gull
island: Caravanserai Island 428 lg Sage Ibis
island: Chachapoya Island 392 *lg Hunter Orion
island: Armstrong Island 388 lg Hunter Canis
island: Sayers Rock 382 lg Hunter Ursa
island: Scrimshaw Island 376 lg Sage Stork
island: Quetzal Island 370 *lg Hunter Orion
island: Alkaid Island 367 lg Hunter Ursa
island: Barbary Island 363 lg Sage Ibis
island: Bowditch Island 342 lg Sage Stork
island: Greenwich Island 166 *lg Sage Pelican
island: Descartes Isle 134 *lg Sage Pelican
island: Arakoua Island 104 lg Sage Ibis
island: Isle of Kent 52 med Sage Gull

colonized islands: lg: 16 med: 10 out: 24 total: 50/92 54.3%
Sage : lg: 10 med: 5 out: 14 total: 29/49 59.2%
Hunter : lg: 6 med: 5 out: 10 total: 21/43 48.8%

That's a really cool tool! The way the game is now, I doubt these numbers will change much, so thanks for providing this information! I also never knew about yoweb.

Geegeenore on Emerald

[Jul 1, 2016 7:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates