• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5733 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
andrew121664

Installing Ice Reply to this Post

I've read the many posts and have found no answers to what I am looking for. I have the most recent version of Java, I've uninstalled any and everything involved with puzzle pirates and I can install the regular version no problem. Every time I try and run the test-install application it proceeds to freeze up and not move on from there. I used to have ice working before I updated to windows 10 and running the file in compatibility isn't doing anything. Any help?
[Jun 1, 2016 12:07:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chook_fowler

Re: Installing Ice Reply to this Post

Hi;

From my experience with Windows 10 (installed last year), the test installation does not work and freezes up. The only way I could get the ice ocean to work was copy a backup of the directory in
users/***username/appdata/roaming/three rings design/puzzle pirates test ........ ***username = your username in windows
onto my pc from my laptop and let it update itself. If you run the installer over an old copy of ice in windows 10 you can kiss it goodbye.

As I was always the only user on ice whenever I logged on I assumed it was a spent force. I can't believe this was never reported.

Chook Fowler
Midnight.

erata: My ice hasn't been working for about a month and I just did the above again and it fixed it. (And again I am the only one on the ocean after logging on.)
(edit)
AND BTW - every time windows10 updates itself you have to do it again.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by chook_fowler at Jun 3, 2016 6:59:39 AM]
[Jun 3, 2016 2:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I just tried to install Ice on my computer (which had Windows 10 preinstalled) and had no problem. I had an existing install already which I renamed the folder of, just in case it did break, and that existing install has never had a problem (not that I use it much).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jun 3, 2016 10:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Layered

I updated to windows 10 on both my laptop and desktop and didnt encounter any problems installing or accessing Ice. I did have to reinstall it on one of them as the link didnt work, but it turned out fine afterwards. I must have been lucky
Layered - Cerulean/Meridian/Emerald/Ice
Chemically Imbalanced
Babylon

Puff, Puff, Pass
[Jun 4, 2016 12:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I get a 404 Error not found - implying something wrong with the server - when using the ice test installer from the yppedia page. I figure the server is just down?
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[Jun 6, 2016 12:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

I just tested all of the links from YPPedia and they all worked for me. Can you paste the specific link you were using? A screenshot of the error might be helpful if you get a chance.
[Jun 6, 2016 3:02:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I just tested all of the links from YPPedia and they all worked for me. Can you paste the specific link you were using? A screenshot of the error might be helpful if you get a chance.

On windows 10 using the download from the yppedia
https://gyazo.com/c1b6f3ce036e5223ad6979368b844dfe
http://download.ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoclient/test-install.exe
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bailet at Jun 6, 2016 5:48:52 PM]
[Jun 6, 2016 5:39:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

I don't have a Windows 10 install available at the moment to test on, but I was just able to download and install from that link on Windows 7, so the file and URL should all be correct.

Looking at your screenshot, I saw an image of this exact same message box a couple weeks ago while helping our artist install one of our internal tools. The problem turned out to be that he didn't have Java installed. So it may be worth looking into that, or maybe trying a different Java version just for the sake of troubleshooting to see if it makes any difference.
[Jun 6, 2016 6:54:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

I don't have a Windows 10 install available at the moment to test on, but I was just able to download and install from that link on Windows 7, so the file and URL should all be correct.

Looking at your screenshot, I saw an image of this exact same message box a couple weeks ago while helping our artist install one of our internal tools. The problem turned out to be that he didn't have Java installed. So it may be worth looking into that, or maybe trying a different Java version just for the sake of troubleshooting to see if it makes any difference.

I have Java 8 and the JDK installed. My path is set to use the JDK however, but I can't imagine the installer should think that I don't have java?

I also installed java 7 just for funsies and that also did not work.
[Jun 6, 2016 7:39:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Well one thing that doesn't work is the test full installer (http://download.ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoclient/test-fullinstall.exe)

It tries to install to the regular Puzzle Pirates directory - and therefore won't install the test client. The "is Puzzle Pirates already installed" check also checks for the main client and not the test client, so it prompts to say Puzzle Pirates is already installed even though the test client isn't installed.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Jun 6, 2016 10:37:51 PM]
[Jun 6, 2016 10:35:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andrew121664

http://imgur.com/a/UZ8RN

So I run the file and it fails to run but it keeps running in the background idk ive reinstalled java like twice and nothing
[Jun 18, 2016 11:56:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates