• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2433 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
bailet

Force new players to spawn on the most populated island Reply to this Post

A large part of greenie retention comes from the social aspect of the game. Joining a crew, meeting new players, etc. Players who spawn on useless medium islands (such as sayers on emerald) will be immediately turned off from the game. There are no players here!

While there is an argument to be made in populating over arch's, there simply arent enough players to warrant this. Force new players to spawn on each ocean's respective populated island.
----------------------------------------
Clotho tells ye, "did you hide the skellies this time?"
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
Dalnoth's Favorite Pirate
[May 26, 2016 2:01:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Re: Force new players to spawn on the most populated island Reply to this Post

This is not a solution to anything.

If it were to be implemented, I'll just go create 200 farm accounts and pick an island to make the most populated.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[May 26, 2016 5:44:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

My suggestion:

1) Keep the greenie spawning as it is, but
2) While the name is still green, give them free whisks to the most populated island. Perhaps via a mission that says "Visit yer local inn" or something.

Of course, this needs to be made obvious to the player. Perhaps the first "visit the inn" tutorial could be a part of the new-player-mission flow.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jlh0605 at May 26, 2016 7:37:42 AM]
[May 26, 2016 7:28:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

This is not a solution to anything.

If it were to be implemented, I'll just go create 200 farm accounts and pick an island to make the most populated.

Except you wouldn't. You could also create 200 farm accounts to tank the curve in bilging, but everybody is under the impression that they have better things to do.

If you even attempt to put yourself back in the shoes of a greenie, you would recognize that the social interactions are almost entirely gone from the game.

For emerald pirates: You can't tell me that anyone spawning on Sayers Rock is going to have a higher likelihood of sticking around than spawning on Admiral. Greenies need some way to get in contact with other players. Joining a crew is essential, and the noticeboard has up and vanished for new players. While these are all things that are not going to be directly solved by spawning everyone on the same island, it can most definitely help.

The game is different now, things need to change. Players need interaction and the game is clearly not providing it now.
OM MESSAGE: Complaining the on-duty OM will only result in another flurry of eggs being sent out into the YPP world. Go #TeamPurple!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bailet at May 26, 2016 11:03:19 AM]
[May 26, 2016 11:01:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Except you wouldn't. You could also create 200 farm accounts to tank the curve in bilging, but everybody is under the impression that they have better things to do.

If you even attempt to put yourself back in the shoes of a greenie, you would recognize that the social interactions are almost entirely gone from the game.

For emerald pirates: You can't tell me that anyone spawning on Sayers Rock is going to have a higher likelihood of sticking around than spawning on Admiral. Greenies need some way to get in contact with other players. Joining a crew is essential, and the noticeboard has up and vanished for new players. While these are all things that are not going to be directly solved by spawning everyone on the same island, it can most definitely help.

The game is different now, things need to change. Players need interaction and the game is clearly not providing it now.

True, I wouldn't game the system in an attempt to try and get greenies to spawn on an island controlled by my flag, but I'm not confident enough to say that no one would.

I completely agree that new pirates need to have their spawn island be one that has activity on it. I just don't agree that determining that island should be based on island population.

Maybe something like, the island that has the most active greeters on it at the time that a new pirate spawns is where the greenie lands? But I don't know what that coding effort level is, and whether it's even worth it.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[May 26, 2016 11:33:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
bailet

True, I wouldn't game the system in an attempt to try and get greenies to spawn on an island controlled by my flag, but I'm not confident enough to say that no one would.

I completely agree that new pirates need to have their spawn island be one that has activity on it. I just don't agree that determining that island should be based on island population.

Maybe something like, the island that has the most active greeters on it at the time that a new pirate spawns is where the greenie lands? But I don't know what that coding effort level is, and whether it's even worth it.

Unless the islands are extremely close in population (and therefore equally populated) it would take thousands of alts - which are eventually deleted - to make a small shift in the population. I just don't see that as a legitimate concern.

If we were looking to spawn new players where the most greeters are, the highest populated island is going to have an extremely high chance of already having the most greeters on it anyway.

As for effort, if the islands are hard-coded in a list and randomized each day, it would be as simple as deleting part of the list.

If it runs off an algorithm which pulls the populations of each islands (as I think I remember there being a population requirement for the game to select it as a valid greenie location) it would be as easy as forcing the end result to always be X island.

If it ran off of the number of greeters, we can assume that they already have the player tracking down as you can do /gwho to find the most greeter populated island - it is as simple as evaluating the amount of greeters on each island and selecting that island as the spawn.

Unless the game is a pile of spaghetti code (looking at you foraging) this is not something that could require a ton of effort.
[May 26, 2016 11:48:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The code change affects Cerulean too, not just the green oceans.

It wouldn't take much at all to game the spawn system if it were implemented as you describe.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[May 26, 2016 11:52:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates