• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 75122 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
zapadapa

Re: Monthly Familiar Events Reply to this Post

Is there seriously going to be NO New Year's Eve competition? :S

^^ this was disappointing. It's an event I look forward to every year.

While I think it's great you have doodles and other events outside of the game, some of us really miss the in-game monthly fam comps. The last few months, with only 2 comp/tournies per month, have all been outside of my timezone. In the past, I would check the events, convert all the times and then make a note to logon to the ones I could enter. Now it has become kind of pointless to even check this thread.

Jan 14th...still no Jan comps.
----------------------------------------
Zapa of Emerald
[Jan 13, 2018 6:21:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Way back in 2011/12 there was many many, Bake-offs and etc where you'd have around 150+ people competing for familiars by doing a certain puzzle, and they were a lot of fun, and I liked when they did familiar comps for all time zones but I guess they only have them now for american times which just kills off alot of the players that looked forward to familiar competitions.

As that said, Tzz is spot on there just going backwards and slimming down everything, even with no fam comps on Obsidian will make it difficult to keep the players on there playing
Another thing all the familiar comps are for all Land or Sea Puzzles, which are like 60 min comps? like 90% of the players have really no chance of doing all them puzzles with a high score in 60 minutes (should be at least 2 hours imo). So really Grey Havens have 2 choices:
#1 They bring back the Bake-offs to convince people to join events and stuff, while actually put familiar comps on Obsidian to help players stay there or
#2 They can keep slimming down fam comps until they have 1 every 3 months making them 30 min comps, and make it harder, to me its looking that way.
Stan is a true hero.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans (Jade/Opal/Meridian), all those wasted new players :/

Seal Event is pointless, because people just use 20+ alts on Grand Frigates against sloops.
[Jan 18, 2018 6:50:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Event Schedules may be found below, updated around the first fortnight of each month:

It's 19th Jan ...still waiting....
I guess it depends on the definition of "around".
You may be busy with doodles and art, which are lovely and the entries are always great, but that is a side event. This game is about puzzling.
Zapa of Emerald
[Jan 19, 2018 1:56:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

Woah! An "all land puzzles" Comp! I wonder how long it'll be. I can't wait to see what we get next month.

I'm definitely happy with my decision to quit this sinking ship of a game.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jan 25, 2018 3:59:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

So can we start having fam comps for Obsidian please?
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Jan 31, 2018 6:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

These competitions are not long enough. Can we please have some rationale for a 60 minute competition for all six crafting puzzles? It pigeonholes the overall player into essentially one session per puzzle (with a few minutes spare if they're good), and several of the crafting puzzles are far too luck-based for this to be appropriate.

I get that y'all have started using this super fun new formula of a one hour-long competition per month in either "ALL LAND!" or "ALL SEA!" puzzles, but I really don't understand what the problem was with the old format of varying combinations of puzzles and varying lengths of competition.
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian flavoured
[Jan 31, 2018 5:10:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

Be it 1, 2, 3 or 24 hours long, there will be the same players finishing on the top spots and competing for the win. I personally enjoyed the shorter 60 minute format instead of 120, as it adds a bit of unpredictability about which of those players will actually win.

I do agree that we need more diversity, and more competitions in the old format (3-4/month in a different number/mix of puzzles) would be nice to have. Prizes don't have to be colored familiars, as I see they are supposed to be less common now, but tan ones, pets or anything that's actually worth playing for would be enough (so pirates do feel like participating and there is actually competition inside the event).
[Jan 31, 2018 9:56:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Be it 1, 2, 3 or 24 hours long, there will be the same players finishing on the top spots and competing for the win. I personally enjoyed the shorter 60 minute format instead of 120, as it adds a bit of unpredictability about which of those players will actually win.

I do agree that we need more diversity, and more competitions in the old format (3-4/month in a different number/mix of puzzles) would be nice to have. Prizes don't have to be colored familiars, as I see they are supposed to be less common now, but tan ones, pets or anything that's actually worth playing for would be enough (so pirates do feel like participating and there is actually competition inside the event).

^ This.

I would just like more comps because then you can at least have a purpose for playing crafts (in my case), rather than just grinding stats.
Similarly for parlour game automatic tournies, there just aren't enough of them. Prizes don't have to be huge, there is the fun of competing.
Plus, have these comps and tournies in different time zones, e.g. when it is evening for me! Evening for me is such a dead time with nothing going on (around midnight to 4am GT). It would probably encourage more international players if more events were held at different times.
What happened to those tan fam tournies that happened every 10 days plus some hours (I have forgotten the formula)? They eventually rotated into everyone's timezone.
Zapa of Emerald
[Feb 2, 2018 2:21:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

The feb 24th comp says all oceans on the event tab. Not sure if it's a mistake or not.
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Feb 9, 2018 12:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

The feb 24th comp says all oceans on the event tab. Not sure if it's a mistake or not.

The last competition was played on all ocrans, including obsidian
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Feb 9, 2018 4:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Will the next puzzle competitions have more variety?

It would be awesome to have a few grouped puzzles and more time to work on them.

The last competitions were either land or sea puzzles and no combinations of any.

Maybe more Carpentry? :-p
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Goodwill100 at Mar 12, 2018 5:15:31 PM]
[Mar 12, 2018 5:14:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

Will the next puzzle competitions have more variety?

It would be awesome to have a few grouped puzzles and more time to work on them.

The last competitions were either land or sea puzzles and no combinations of any.

Maybe more Carpentry? :-p

Unfortunately that is probably unlikely. The alternating All Sea Puzzles/All Land Puzzles format has been going on for a while now.

There used to be great variety to the competitions. Sometimes one puzzle, sometimes 2-3 puzzles. Sometimes entire months were dedicated to familiar tournaments! See 1 See 2
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Mar 12, 2018 10:25:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Popcorn1

Can we get a different format for the next tournaments? Half land/half sea? 90-120 mins instead of 60 for 8-12 puzzles? Some sort of variation from the same 60 mins for all land or 60 mins for all sea. Don't like that it's always the same.
Yum Chiles!
[Mar 31, 2018 9:07:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

It is all Sea Puzzles again :(

If you can't reduce the amount of sea puzzles could you (as other posters mentioned) at least increase the time?

Alternatively, it would be awesome to have an announced tan familiar 2-3 puzzle competition (completely random, can be picked from both land + sea) once a month.
We have automated tournaments for SF,Rumble,TD and Drinking, but not a single one for puzzling.

Just some feedback :-)
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Apr 4, 2018 2:08:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

More importantly, it says "Saturday, April 30th". By my book, April 30th is a Monday...
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Apr 7, 2018 9:43:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

So is there no comp? I sent in petitions on 3 pirates and haven't heard back...
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Apr 30, 2018 6:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Hi, sorry to be like this, but the competition schedule currently says "Monday May 27th". The 27th is a Sunday.
[May 8, 2018 3:06:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

On Obsidian only this weekend, Sunday is FUNDAY!

Look out for two extra tan familiar tournaments and your chance to win a rather fine Blue-Grey/Tan parrot familiar.

12:00 PM Game time - "Foul Play" Rumble featuring a rather special bludgeon!

6:00 PM Game time - "In Full Flight" Swordfighting featuring a rather special sword!

Yarr! See ye there!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Jul 14, 2018 1:05:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

OBSIDIAN ONLY

The fun continues on Obsidian this weekend with a rerun of Sunday FUNDAY! Weren't able to join us last weekend? Here you go - a second chance to win!

Two extra tan familiar tournaments will be running again with the chance to win one BlueGrey/Tan parrot and one Tan/BlueGrey Parrot

12:00 PM Game Time: "In Full Flight" Swordfighting featuring a rather special sword!

06:00 PM Game Time: "Foul Play" Rumble featuring a rather special bludgeon!

Enjoy!
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Jul 18, 2018 12:44:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

First Hera replaced Galene as egg spammer extraordinaire and now she's moved on to competitions. I mean, if you want attention I think Vas is always willing to chat with you!

j/k, plznoban kthnx

(thank you for all the competitions, I love the Blue Grey items. And I like the challenge amongst the players that the competitions invoke)
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 18, 2018 2:33:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

How about making these on a Saturday so that those of us who live in the future (Aust/NZ) don't have them fall on a Monday?
(although I will be zzzz'ing at 5am no matter what!)

But thanks anyway for adding more events!
Zapa of Emerald
[Jul 18, 2018 3:35:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

Its 11:40am game time and there still is no familiar competition up....
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Aug 25, 2018 11:40:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Is there seriously going to be NO New Year's Eve competition? :S

The quote above is from NYE 2017, now NYE 2018, no comps once again....

(unless I missed them, but there was nothing in Events)

The NYE All Puzzle comps used to be a highlight of the year... :(
Zapa of Emerald
[Dec 31, 2018 10:26:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Will the January schedule be posted soon?
[Jan 18, 2019 7:02:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates