• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1153 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Sugarpie

Gunnery -- Frusterations Reply to this Post

1) So we're pillaging, I decide to check the guns to make sure they're full.... I click into the gun puzzle, "oh they're all full" so I move to a sailing puzzle. The next waypoint we hit the sheet comes up and says "Booched" for Gunning. This wouldn't be nearly so frusterating if it wasn't for the fact that 90% of the time I am exellent or higher in that puzzle yet my standing is able in the ocean. I don't think that clicking into a puzzle that doesn't even start (since no materials appear unless at least one cannon is empty) should result in a booched message. Either "Fine" since I think that's a neutral one or not even count it at all. I hope that me checking the cannons with them being full isn't what is keeping me between a nice shiny "Legendary" :)

2) So you're on a ship with over 6 guns, you click into the gunnery puzzle and fill the first 6, then you want to fill the rest of them. How? I have tried clicking on all the different cannons of a ship and still not been able to access the 2nd set of guns. The *only* way I have found is to have someone click into guns then me click in so that I get on the second set. So if I wanted to load all the guns am I supposed to force someone off of their puzzle to click in so I can get to the second set? I would kill for a way to differentiate between the two. On most ships with 2+ sets of guns there are two seperate areas with guns in them, those could get you into different sets of cannons or the right and left sides of the ship, or even another set of icons in the gunning menu.

Sugarpie
Mad Mutineers
Gunner Extrodinaire :)
----------------------------------------
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Aug 28, 2003 1:19:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Gunnery -- Frusterations Reply to this Post

1) Report that as a bug. You should not appear in the report at all if you never post a score (this is the way it works in other puzzles).

2) Strange. I believe Peghead intended one to be able to fill up the guns, re-open the puzzle and have that puzzles guns chosen from the remaining empty guns. Are you certain all of the guns were not loaded at that time? It could just be a coincidence that the time you were able to get the free guns they had just been fired. If not, I will certainly point it out to Peghead, since that makes no sense.

-Nemo
[Aug 28, 2003 1:25:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

I am 90% sure on this one... I will try to kidnap a big boat and play with it some tonight when I get home, but there have been 3 instances... 2 on Merchant Brigs, 1 on a War Brig where I saw the cannons fired in battle, yet could not get in to the empty guns to refill them.

Yesterday there were 2 people gunning on a Merchant Brig, myself and another... meanwhile the Captain was down to 2 guns, the other gunner LDed during battle so was just me trying to refill them, I filled 6 and tried to access the other guns trying different stations, etc.

Sugarpie
Mad Mutineers
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Aug 28, 2003 1:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Aye, this has happened to me as well. Normally it isn't that much of a problem since, when we have more than 6 guns, we have more than one person loading them, but somethimes there aren't enough people to spare two fer the cannons, and yer captain is stuck with only havin' six loaded guns even though there are 10 on the ship.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Aug 28, 2003 2:09:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

I was actually practicing with the gunnery puzzle on our Small Sloop last night, and got bit by this. Not wanting to overwhelm myself, having very little cannon experience, I selected to do 2 cannons. Once I (finally) finished that, I left the puzzle and select "2 Cannons" again - but got the loaded cannons, not the unloaded cannons. I had to leave the puzzle and select the "4 cannon" option to get the other two, empty, cannons. (The two that were already loaded showed up as such once the puzzle began again.)

I thought it was kinda weird, but figured it was either a feature or something slated to be fixed soon, so I didn't think much about it afterwards.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Aug 28, 2003 2:57:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

ye always get the first n guns Reply to this Post

On the smaller ships, at least, the first person on the guns always gets the first n, full or not. Ye have to put two on guns to allow someone to fill any guns above 6 on a merchant brig. Haven't tried it on the war brig or galleon.
[Aug 28, 2003 3:20:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Sugarpie wrote: 
1) So we're pillaging, I decide to check the guns to make sure they're full.... I click into the gun puzzle, "oh they're all full" so I move to a sailing puzzle. The next waypoint we hit the sheet comes up and says "Booched" for Gunning. This wouldn't be nearly so frusterating if it wasn't for the fact that 90% of the time I am exellent or higher in that puzzle yet my standing is able in the ocean. I don't think that clicking into a puzzle that doesn't even start (since no materials appear unless at least one cannon is empty) should result in a booched message. Either "Fine" since I think that's a neutral one or not even count it at all. I hope that me checking the cannons with them being full isn't what is keeping me between a nice shiny "Legendary" :)

On a related note, I find it very frustrating to enter a puzzle (bilging, carp, sailing, etc) shortly before a league point and have the game immediately give you Booched! when the ship reaches the point. This has happened many times while sailing around, but has also happened when my CO, for some reason, undocked, set sail, immediately turned around, and redocked. It booches the whole ship. Is there a way we can have some minimal time we need to be in a puzzle before it gets scored? Maybe like, 30-60 seconds or something.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Aug 28, 2003 3:37:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

I can confirm positively this gunning problem.

It also exists on the Navy boats, which compounds the difficulty of beginning players getting experience on guns.

If I'm an amazing gunner (because I know about the slider bar, lala) I should be able to load all 18 guns on our war brig (well, 18 guns appear on and belowdecks, dunno if we really have that many!)

-edit hmm, maybe it's 18 or maybe 24. don't rememember now, arr.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Aug 28, 2003 4:00:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Gunning being my favourite puzzle - I can attest to the truth in sugarpies two statements. Both have happened to me.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Aug 28, 2003 4:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Lovely. This is definitely an annoyance and I will put Peghead on it when he gets back (the gunnery code is his).

-Nemo
[Aug 28, 2003 4:16:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
raykremer

I can expand on this. I'm pretty sure the cannon bug works thus:

When you enter the cannon puzzle, first it gives you dirty fired off cannons, then full cannons, then empty cannons. If there are no dirties and 6 fulls, you can't get to an empty cannon.

I can't speak to whether or not if one person is on 6 cannons, a second person can get to the next six.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Nemo wrote: 
Lovely. This is definitely an annoyance and I will put Peghead on it when he gets back (the gunnery code is his).

-Nemo

Can ye also make it so yer ability in gunning goes up? It sucks being able :P
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 6, 2003 1:30:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Aye. Gunnery shouldn't post any score at all unless I put at least three arrows on my board, or if I end up loading a cannon. (three to avoid misclicks :) ) This way we can check the cannons without being penalised.

I also agree that the puzzle quite obviously needs to load cannon in this order:

Dirty
(Partially) filled but in the wrong order
Empty but clean
Partially filled in correct order
Loaded
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2003 2:37:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
raykremer

I would do it like this:

Dirty
(Partially) filled but in the wrong order
Partially filled in correct order
Empty but clean
Loaded

Though I also wouldn't care if the system didn't differentiate between the partially filled ones in the right and wrong orders.

I saw in another thread, and I'll repeat it here, the need to be able to see how many cannons are loaded without having to jump into a cannon puzzle to check it. Besides, given the way the cannon puzzle works (both now and the way it was intended), you can't necessarilly tell how many cannons are filled by looking in a cannon puzzle station.
[Sep 6, 2003 3:12:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

Lizzie wrote: 

these last few days me rating has gone up - but I still get the booched even if I only were at the guns fer a tick.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 6, 2003 5:14:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

meiadm wrote: 
Lizzie wrote: 

these last few days me rating has gone up - but I still get the booched even if I only were at the guns fer a tick.

Has it? Wow, I'm jealous.. I always get at least good although usually excellent or incredible, and nada. (Although I'm finally solid!) :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 6, 2003 5:23:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GuybrushT

the same is true for me, and i believe it's on the famed list. but i always get incredible/excellent with a few goods on gunning, and yet i am narrow/able.

it's really quite frustrating :)
[Sep 7, 2003 2:03:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

Gunnery tweaks Reply to this Post

In the next release, the puzzle will attempt to reserve unloaded cannons prior to reserving cannons that are already loaded. It doesn't care if the unloaded cannons are dirty, clean, or misordered.
[Sep 8, 2003 2:28:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates