• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5722 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Galene
OceanMaster

The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 [Prizes Delivered] Reply to this Post

The Tall Ships Races 2015.
In honor of the The Tall Ships Races 2015, we have a double feature treat for you. We start with a fixed-format race on November 15 at 6:00 PM. But, Galene! What if I can't be there then? I've waited so long for a race, this sucks that I'm going to miss it! Well, maybe not! I did mention this was a double feature, yes? I lied about when we start; before the fixed-format race will be a more flexible race. You'll use the same race route, but with flexible times to allow greater participation.

ZOMg ZOMg ZomG WINNERS POSTED
WINNERS POSTED

Race Routes:
Cerulean:
- Start: Prolix Purlieu
- Pitstop: Zeta Island
- Finish: Prolix Purlieu

Meridian:
- Start: Hadrian Island
- Pitstop: Flyaway Island
- Finish: Hadrian Island

Emerald:
- Start: Alkaid Island
- Pitstop: Scrimshaw Island
- Finish: Alkaid Island

Fixed-Format Race:
November 15 at 6:00 PM

This is a fixed start race to avoid any ties. All entrants must start at this time.
Fixed-Format Race Prizes:
  • 1st: Familiar of your choice Octopus, Parrot or Monkey in a standard color and 2 gold ship medals
  • 2nd: Tan familiar of your choice (Octopus, Parrot or Monkey) and 2 silver ship medals
  • 3rd: Your choice of one sleeping animal furniture (standard colors, no LE) and 2 bronze ship medals
  • 4th: Violet bouquet roses or orchids with 2 matching flowers
  • 5th: Violet bouquet of daisies or orchids with 2 matching flowers

Flex-Time Race:
November 13th, 12:00 PM-November 15th, 5:00PM

This race is open anytime between the posted dates/times, but still follows the same race route posted above. You must START and Finish your race within that time frame. Because there will be guaranteed ties, a familiar won't be offered, but you'll still have nice prizes and there is no messing about with dropping prize levels down. We'll award these prizes regardless how many entrants come in each place.
Flex-Time Race Prizes:
  • 1st: Gold Skull Trophy, 2 gold ship medals, and 3 golden piggy banks
  • 2nd: Silver Skull Trophy, 2 silver ship medals, and 3 (pink) piggy banks
  • 3rd: Bronze Skull Trophy and 2 bronze ship medals

Race Rules:
  • You may participate in races at both times. Both races require you to use the specific route listed above for your ocean.
  • Only the entrant should access the coffers of the ship during the race. This is to prevent confusion as to who is entering.
  • You cannot use swabbie transport or greeter pillage settings. You must purchase or transfer in at least 2 units of stone or hemp beforehand and leave it on board for the duration of the race to prove this. You may want to buy extra, to make sure you don't lose it all if you're caught in a battle. In the past, I've been flexible and allowed other items, but people have misunderstood and been disqualified. It's my hope that by requiring a specific item, we can avoid this. Edit to add: This can be purchased ahead of time, and just transferred in the day of the race. In the future, I'll probably require it be transferred in within an hour prior to the start of the race.
  • Entrants are also required to purchase a bid ticket at the market at each point in the race. This is what marks your times. Records will be verified at both the markets and your vessel. It's ok to bid 1 PoE for 1 item. You should end up with a total of 3 tickets, from when you START, your PITSTOP, and when you FINISH.
  • Only entries posted in the official entry thread will be valid. Cerulean-Fixed, Cerulean-Flex, Meridian-Fixed, Meridian-Flex, Emerald-Fixed, Emerald-Flex.
    All entries must be posted by 8:00 PM November 15th to your specific entry thread. Entry threads will then be locked to prevent additional edits/posts.
    Make sure your entry contains all information requested and in the correct format shown on the entry page itself.
Other clarifications:
  • Players may enter as many times as they wish on as many oceans as they wish
  • This is two separate races, with separate prizes for each ocean, for each race.
  • There are no limits on who can help or when or how, as long as you stay within the rules of the game and this contest. If you're unsure if something will be acceptable, ask here first.
  • I will not provide extra trinkets or other prizes if you have extra helpers.
  • Ship and market logs will be checked after the race is over to verify times. Only those who have posted the best times will be checked!
  • When possible, please use custom named ships to make it easier to check ship times after the race. It is not required but it will help get the results up faster at the end of the race.
  • There will not be an events organizer online at the time. It is up to you to start on time and manage your ship, supplies, charts and anything else you might need.
  • Please do not ask the on-duty OMs for help, all questions and potential problems should be brought up here before the races start.
  • Results will be posted as soon as they are determined. Expect 1-2 weeks from the start of the race for judging and prize delivery.
  • Prizes will be delivered directly to the actual entrant; they can share with their helpers as they wish. We'll announce here once that has been done.
  • Gold and Pink piggy banks will contain PoE prizes in the standard denominations.
  • Please double check this thread right before the race to see if there have been any last minute updates. Any changes will be announced an hour or more before the race starts in this thread (check the "Edit" section at the bottom)
  • I will use these same routes for future races, so even if you can't race this time, you might want to start working on memorizing this route for a future race. Pillage in that general area to win charts, or post the charts you need and maybe you can buy them before the weekend: Cerulean charts, Meridian charts, and Emerald charts. Or consider posting a bazaar offer to rent the services of a charter, or use the wiki lists to find a volunteer: Cerulean charters, Meridian charters, and Emerald charters

Edits:
1. Added entry thread links
2. Added wiki link where results will be posted .
3. Per Jamesh's questions, edited that sleeping pet furniture must be standard colors, no LE, and that the Flex-Time race must both start and finish, be fully completed, within the posted time frame.
4. Added tools for those who don't have the area memorized yet.
5. Added in that the stone/hemp can be purchased ahead of time, and transferred in the day of the race.
6&7. ZOMg ZOMg ZomG WINNERS POSTED WINNERS POSTED
8. Changed title to say Prizes Delivered
----------------------------------------
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Galene at Dec 3, 2015 11:15:09 PM]
[Nov 8, 2015 10:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 Reply to this Post

Some questions:

1) Even though you're titling it the "Tall Ships Race", is any ship valid for entry? (i.e, is a sloop allowed)?
2) During the Flex-Time event, is it allowed to enter several times with the same person/group of people? As an example, if Pirates A, B, and C do a full run, listed on the forum under Pirate A, could they do another run listed under A? Under C? (If they do another run under A, would they just edit the post to reflect the (hopefully better) time?)
3) If I'm understanding correctly, the official times are marked by the bid tickets. Does the purchase or transfer of the stone/hemp have to occur in the time frame? Does it have to show on the vessel records?
4) Do we post our entry on the YPPedia page, or only in the appropriate forum thread?
5) The "time" part of our post is hour:minute, correct? Should we put seconds in case of a tie? I suspect many of the top few entries, especially on the flex contest, will be within a minute or two.
6) For the "sleepy animal" prize, is it limited to the non-chocolate colors?
7) For the Flex Time entry, do you have to finish the race in the time frame, or only start in the time frame?

I'm just trying to clarify / close possible loopholes.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 6 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Nov 8, 2015 9:38:48 PM]
[Nov 8, 2015 9:27:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Jamesh wrote: 
1) Even though you're titling it the "Tall Ships Race", is any ship valid for entry? (i.e, is a sloop allowed)?
A "Tall Ship" is really just a ship with a tall sail (different classes are used to define different sizes). All ships in YPP are thus, "Tall Ships". You may use any size you like, including the recommended sloop.
Jamesh wrote: 
2) During the Flex-Time event, is it allowed to enter several times with the same person/group of people? As an example, if Pirates A, B, and C do a full run, listed on the forum under Pirate A, could they do another run listed under A? Under C? (If they do another run under A, would they just edit the post to reflect the (hopefully better) time?)
You are the entrant, the one who touches the hold and buys the bid tickets. Whoever your pit crew are helping you out is none of my concern. You don't have to have help, or you can fill your ship with help, as you see fit. As an individual entrant, you may enter as many times as you like. I don't like this-I'd prefer our players were happy with one win, but trying to limit this in any way has the effect of only limiting it for honest players. So you can enter as many times as you like, but keep in mind this is a test of a new format for a Flex-Time race, where prizes aren't limited. If I have one person winning 12 times, then I'll know next time I have to limit the overall prizes given out.
Jamesh wrote: 
3) If I'm understanding correctly, the official times are marked by the bid tickets. Does the purchase or transfer of the stone/hemp have to occur in the time frame? Does it have to show on the vessel records?
It can be prior to the race as long as it isn't too long ahead of time/it's still clear that you had the stone or hemp on board the entire voyage of your race.
Jamesh wrote: 
4) Do we post our entry on the YPPedia page, or only in the appropriate forum thread?
Appropriate forum thread. Nobody else should be able to edit the wiki page, unless I messed up on locking it!
Jamesh wrote: 
5) The "time" part of our post is hour:minute, correct? Should we put seconds in case of a tie? I suspect many of the top few entries, especially on the flex contest, will be within a minute or two.
You'll note that in game logs don't include "to the seconds", only hours/minutes. There can't be a tie in the Fixed-Format, because it's literally "whoever is first". Logs don't show seconds, but they do show you in the order things were done (if I buy my ticket at 15:05:32, and you buy yours at 15:05:33, the log will show 15:05 for both of us, but I'll be listed before you). The Flex-Time race, I've committed for this event, to giving out multiple prizes. If 10 people all come in at a 43 minute race time, then all 10 people receive the prize for that race time.
Jamesh wrote: 
6) For the "sleepy animal" prize, is it limited to the non-chocolate colors?
Goodness, I didn't even know we now had chocolate versions of these! Nice catch, I'll change the post to reflect this. You're correct, we're not allowed to give out LE colors.
Jamesh wrote: 
7) For the Flex Time entry, do you have to finish the race in the time frame, or only start in the time frame?
You must complete the race within the time frame. I'll edit to make this more clear.
Galene
[Nov 8, 2015 11:13:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Thanks for the answers, I hope to participate!
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 9, 2015 2:25:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

The downside of starting and ending at the same island is that everyone will need to be charted twice, once before the race and once during. Which means everyone will need to have all the charts, or have a charter on board, or they'll have to hope they can find a charter quickly when they need one. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems. :(
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Nov 10, 2015 4:01:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Budclare wrote: 
The downside of starting and ending at the same island is that everyone will need to be charted twice, once before the race and once during. Which means everyone will need to have all the charts, or have a charter on board, or they'll have to hope they can find a charter quickly when they need one. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems. :(
Unfortunately this is true. There are pro's and con's to all formats, and I'm happy to explain why I choose to not do an open-format race this time, but first a few possibly useful tools:

Pillaging in that general area can help you win the required charts. Each ocean also has a sticky in it's bazaar for the buying and selling of charts and it looks like they've recently had the old outdated posts cleaned out, too! (Thank you, Demeter!) Post the charts you need and maybe you can buy them before the weekend: Cerulean, Meridian, and Emerald. I recommend the charts first, and get them memorized before the race if possible (especially because I will be using these routes for future races!)

While that's my recommendation, as opposed to relying on somebody else, if you can't get it done now, you do have lists of volunteer charters on the wiki-and again, if you can't get their help before this race, maybe start working on memorizing the route now so that you'll be ready for the next race. You may even be able to post in the bazaar for your ocean that you'd like to rent a charter, perhaps. Or use these wiki lists: Cerulean, Meridian, and Emerald.

One way or another, if you like races, get the route used memorized as soon as you can. I will use these same routes for future races, and the route ends where it started to minimize the number of charts needed. I've even been toying with the idea of doing races a lot more frequently, but with smaller prizes. Maybe every 3-4 months doing half the route with a Galene doll and some other stuff as a prize, instead of a familiar. I can't commit to that now, but it's an idea I've been toying with. Now, for an explanation why I choose to use fixed-route this time:

Races have a tight margin for judging because it relies on records from in game which are only available a short while before they purge. A fixed-format (with fixed time and fixed route) means a few hours to verify results per ocean; I usually knock out one ocean per day off and finish well within the time frame. An open-format takes several DAYS per ocean to verify. I've never missed that deadline before, but I've come close a few times, and I'm always worried some family emergency, power outage or other unavoidable thing will come up and make it impossible to meet the deadline. So at least for myself, that format is going to be rare.

Picking a more populated route is going to cause understandable tarting post-merge, with folks who formerly played on one ocean complaining that the race route isn't on their "side", putting them at a disadvantage. It's a valid concern. The current routes are selected because they're inter-ocean, giving what I hope is a negligible amount of disadvantage to both sides. I'd considered doing two possible routes, one on each side, but then you fall into the next problem again...

Letting players select their own routes, or doing multiple possible routes per ocean, has a LOT of other complications besides just massively extending the time needed to verify records. It also means TIES. For familiar prizes in the past, this means bumping folks down. If more than one person came in 1st place, we had to bump the prize down to 2nd instead, or 3rd, etc. A fixed-route and fixed-time race means there are no ties.

Fixed-route also means no sad, sad disqualifications because a player accidentally selected a route that was a league short, which unfortunately happens too often. I'm constantly trying to improve races to make the rules more clear and avoid disqualifying folks. For example, requiring stone or hemp this race is new for me. In the past, I said "a non-rum/shot item", and somebody would inevitably misunderstand it (carry swill, or the wrong size shot or think I meant carry rum AND shot, or race without either). I really, really hate disqualifying folks.

The current route also has start & end on ringer controlled islands. This makes sure nobody is in the middle of a race, and suddenly finds out they are embargoed and can't port at the island they need to port at. Sure they can deed trade and whatever, but by the time they've done that, they've lost the race. They can also leave their flag ahead of time, but that can mean a big headache if say, the Monarch wants to race, or the Captain of a crew where the crew wants to remain in the flag, etc. Wrong, Galene!

No format is going to be without some complication. The fixed-format has proven very well in the past, to result in a quick turn around for verifying results and the least amount of complications for us all to overcome. The flex-time fixed-route is a new option I'm testing out, we'll see how it works! If it works well, I'll probably use it more often. It still means possible ties, or pvp grief, and requires charts, but eliminates most of the other issues while still keeping a reasonable time limit to verify results. I'm not ruling out doing another truly open-format race in the future, but it needs to be at a time when I'm not running any other events, and I'll have ample "free time" off-duty to get the results out fast. That wasn't the case this month.
Galene
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Galene at Nov 10, 2015 8:10:09 PM]
[Nov 10, 2015 7:16:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Zaruds

I have a small question:

Only entries posted in the official entry thread will be valid. Cerulean-Fixed, Cerulean-Flex, Meridian-Fixed, Meridian-Flex, Emerald-Fixed, Emerald-Flex. All entries must be posted by 8:00 PM November 15th to your specific entry thread. Entry threads will then be locked to prevent additional edits/posts. Make sure your entry contains all information requested and in the correct format shown on the entry page itself.

Is that the deadline for both races? Or are we only allowed to post our times on that time? (Since Flex-race starts on November 13th and only ends on 15th.)

Thank ye :)
Zaruds on Emerald Ocean

Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all. ~ Johnny Depp
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zaruds at Nov 10, 2015 9:37:42 AM]
[Nov 10, 2015 9:36:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

The current route also has start & end on ringer controlled islands. This makes sure nobody is in the middle of a race, and suddenly finds out they are embargoed and can't port at the island they need to port at. Sure they can deed trade and whatever, but by the time they've done that, they've lost the race. They can also leave their flag ahead of time, but that can mean a big headache if say, the Monarch wants to race, or the Captain of a crew where the crew wants to remain in the flag, etc.
Alkaid isn't Ringer-controlled, and I don't think (offhand, I could be totally wrong here) Scrimshaw is either. (I'm only interested in the Emerald race.)

That said, I appreciate the effort you're putting into the flex-time race! It really does help for a pirate like me (US Mountain Time Zone), who has friends/possible helpers in Singapore and Australia.

And another suggestion for future races: Since the goal is to have one item of something in the hold (to prove no greeter/swabbie/etc), would it work to simply require one item of fruit of any kind? Or any one single basic commodity? The problem I see with requiring stone/hemp (and this does apply to fruit, too), is that there is technically no guarantee (except on ringer-controlled islands) that the items in question will be available for sale on the islands. Stone is very often only bought at 0 or 1 PoE on many (Emerald) islands, and isn't always being sold. (I personally own a shipyard on Alkaid, and I will stock hemp for the event. However, I can't stop someone from buying it all up quickly).
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Edit 3 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Nov 10, 2015 11:17:23 AM]
[Nov 10, 2015 10:39:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Alkaid isn't Ringer-controlled, and I don't think ... Scrimshaw either.
Whoops. I stole my route from the Inter-ocean race, and I remembered going into the planning there, that this was my goal. I guess I forgot I wasn't able to achieve that goal and still keep an inter-ocean route of about the same length on each ocean. So that moves a checkmark from the "pro" column into the "con" column. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Since the goal is to have one item of something in the hold (to prove no greeter/swabbie/etc), would it work to simply require one item of fruit of any kind? Or any one single basic commodity?
I'm open to suggestions. This is the first time I'm making a specific requirement on what to carry, and it's a test to see if it reduces disqualifications for this or not. I picked hemp and stone because they are cheap, bid tickets should fill reasonably fast, especially if only bidding for 2 units, and if planning ahead, shouldn't be hard to acquire. I should make it more clear that you can acquire this ahead of time and just transfer it in within an hour of the race start or something along those lines, maybe? "Any fruit" might work, since it can be foraged, but I'd have to do some homework to try to ensure there are fair access to the appropriate forage islands near the route. I'd rather avoid "any basic commodity" or other category because I think they're still too easy to cause the same confusion that "any non-rum/shot" has. Players may not realize that's a specific category of in game items, not their own personal idea of what "basic" is. If hemp/stone doesn't work, I'd consider fruit, or I think I'd rather try to find another way to make "any non-rum/shot" more clear instead of picking another "any" category. I'll gladly consider any suggestions for clear, concise wording!
Galene
[Nov 10, 2015 8:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Rules wrote: 
All entries must be posted by 8:00 PM November 15th to your specific entry thread. Entry threads will then be locked to prevent additional edits/posts.
Entry threads have been locked. We'll have results out as soon as we're able! Thank you to all who entered!
Galene
[Nov 15, 2015 8:02:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I was excited about the race, but the time difference was too much for me. I'm going to try and run the circuit you posted for Cerulean, just to see if I can beat Ryu's time.

I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a greater participation on our blue jewel. But, I hope that doesn't discourage you, or the other OMs, from holding races in the future!

Edit: To clarify, I'm running the route just to try and beat Ryu's entry, not to try and win anything (because the deadline has passed, so I know that's not possible)
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Nov 16, 2015 12:38:20 AM]
[Nov 16, 2015 12:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Edit: To clarify, I'm running the route just to try and beat Ryu's entry, not to try and win anything (because the deadline has passed, so I know that's not possible)

I'll give you a cookie.
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Nov 16, 2015 7:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Um, mins, you give *everyone* cookies. Thank you for the offer though?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Nov 17, 2015 12:44:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

I hope everything is going well for Galene, and that the judging can finish up soon!
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 23, 2015 8:43:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Ryu, I haven't seen you in game lately. Did you solo that route? Because I did it twice and couldn't get close to what you did. Kept getting caught by spawns (going to try again this weekend, I think I know how to get in under 1.5 hours).
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Nov 25, 2015 1:03:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Re: The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 [Results posted] Reply to this Post

Results Posted!

I need another 48 hours to get prizes delivered. Thank you all for participating and for your patience through the verification process!
Galene
[Nov 28, 2015 10:09:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

Re: The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 [Results posted] Reply to this Post

Congratulations to all the winners! Thanks for hosting this event again, Galene <3
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Nov 28, 2015 10:40:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Thanks for hosting the event, was certainly a challenge <3
Yasmi on Meridian

Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Nov 28, 2015 10:49:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Thanks for the event! I'll see if I can improve next time!
~Jamesh on Emerald

[Nov 30, 2015 8:07:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
adelaidean12

Thanks Galene for hosting this event. Congratulations to the winners.

I appreciate the inclusion of the flex time option so that more pirates can participate, regardless of timezone differences.

It would be great if the race format, in particular, the flex time option, were run a few times each year. A suggestion for next time (if there is one and I hope there is) is to announce the event two weeks in advance so that pirates have more time to prepare for it etc...

I was pleased to be a helper for some hearties who raced in the flex time option and we all had a good time, despite those pesky brigands and barbarians who kept on engaging us! :)
Adelaidean
Emerald Ocean
Obsidian Ocean
[Nov 30, 2015 3:43:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Galene could you post to confirm you have delivered prizes pretty please?
Yasmi on Meridian

Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Dec 2, 2015 1:28:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Galene could you post to confirm you have delivered prizes pretty please?
For those waiting, it's been an overly busy week and I apologize for the delay. The good news is, I don't work this evening so you should be logging in tomorrow with prizes delivered AND the familiar competitions for the month also posted on their normal wiki page. I will post an update here once prizes are delivered-but I'm going to go pass out now and get started on that when I wake up!

I appreciate the inclusion of the flex time option so that more pirates can participate, regardless of timezone differences.
It seemed to be a pretty popular option, and still considerably easier to verify than a true open-format race, so I see no reason not to do it again! I am considering running another test in the future, an open-route but fixed-time format. I think I've figured out a way to avoid the dreaded ties, but it still takes longer to verify when I have to verify route lengths on top of everything else. If the test runs well, what I may do is alternate between the two new formats, fixed-time/open-route and fixed-route/flex-time. That would kill the PvP element if it works out! Then again, I'm also considering one specifically with a PvP bounty element to shake things up, too (still just musing in my head right now, I've a few ideas I'm tossing about).

It would be great if the race format, in particular, the flex time option, were run a few times each year. A suggestion for next time (if there is one and I hope there is) is to announce the event two weeks in advance so that pirates have more time to prepare for it etc...
How frequently we run these events really depends on participation. In general, we only do one or two OM events a month so doing a race means not doing something else. If that something-else typically has greater participation, that's an event you'll see chosen more frequently. Sort of like "voting with your money". You mates vote for the types of events you want to see held more often by participating in them, so that's really up to all of you!

As for how much notice you get, I usually do try to give as much notice as I can, but we also don't want to end up with all our events clustered at the end of the month every month and nothing in the beginning. I typically do races toward the end, but last month would have meant racing over Thanksgiving and I was afraid that would prevent folks from participating and interfere with me getting them verified in time! You're at the mercy of MY RL schedule here (and trust me, it gives NO MERCY, HA!)
Galene
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Galene at Dec 3, 2015 6:54:12 AM]
[Dec 3, 2015 6:40:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
adelaidean12

Hi Galene,

Thanks for your feedback. :)
Adelaidean
Emerald Ocean
Obsidian Ocean
[Dec 3, 2015 1:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobRendahl

Prizes now delivered tonight! Hooray!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RobRendahl at Dec 3, 2015 11:12:18 PM]
[Dec 3, 2015 10:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Re: The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 [Prizes Delivered] Reply to this Post

Prizes all delivered, despite the best efforts of some of you with overflowing booties! *I'm looking at you ECB, for one!*
Galene
[Dec 3, 2015 11:15:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
EverclearBoy

Re: The Tall Ships Races, Nov 13-Nov 15, 2015 [Prizes Delivered] Reply to this Post

10 years worth of puzzle pirate goodies in the Booty Panel! Put a large housing on Greenwich and I can place it all xD lol Greenwicher for Life!

We still didnt get the answer to if Galene is a Ginger :P
Amberon says, "Tricky little bastards."
Stud at Drinking Competitions says, "umm >.> will u quit for 50% of what i win? >.>"
Everclearboy officer chats "Stud's offering me Half a bird?"
[Dec 6, 2015 10:29:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates