• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5304 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Arcanumn21

Kraken soloing Reply to this Post

So I saw a few people mentioning solo runs on kraken lair and I decided to try for myself, but I have a few questions. I'm not a very good bnaver so i stuck with only cuttle boxes and got 13 in 1 run. I ported and on chests i had 1 trinket and around 12k. I was wondering if it's better to try to get better chests or even eggs or if I should stick with doing runs with more people.
----------------------------------------
Arcanumn on Emerald
[Aug 10, 2015 1:55:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Kraken soloing Reply to this Post

I'm not a very good bnaver so i stuck with only cuttle boxes and got 13 in 1 run.
13 in one run isn't bad. The maximum is either 15 (if it takes 6 turns) or 18 (if it take 5 turns).

I ported and on chests i had 1 trinket and around 12k.
I used to run solo cuttle boxes repeatedly (I got over 600 cuttles in solo runs). This was before the last pay change, but at that time, I found I got about 15k per entry. After the recent pay decrease, 12k per entry seems about typical.

I was wondering if it's better to try to get better chests or even eggs or if I should stick with doing runs with more people.
It depends on what your motivation for going solo is.
1) If you want money, you're better off going for pods or eggs (and yes, those can be done solo).
2) If you want trinkets (which was my motivation), cuttles are best for most of the trinkets, though there are a few trinket types that can only be attained in larger chests.
3) If you want both, try multi-clienting. It's a little more intense, but it is often worth the effort. I've never personally done this in Kraken, but it would certainly be doable. How many clients you can successfully run depends on both your personal puzzle speed and your computer speed. Most computers can handle two, and if you can manage to put in 8 moves every 30 seconds (4 in each client), it's quite doable. This is doubly true if you're only doing cuttles, since you can usually memorize a path to the cuttle that only needs to change when tentacles get in the way.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Aug 10, 2015 2:04:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Per my post here :http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2678195#2678195

I've detailed very well what to expect when doing cuttle runs post-update

You'll get about 25% items and 75% poe split for cuttles.
Of the poe-only cuttles, you'll get ~1k per.

If you can maintain a long run average of 13 cuttles per entry, that would equate to about 19-20k per hour + 5 random junk/trinkets.

It is very very steady money and very, but also super super boring. And it still needs to be nerfed in my opinion.
-Gagundss
[Aug 13, 2015 2:57:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kartossedai

If you're going solo, it heavily weighs on the map itself. Don't be scared to throw away LBs and disengage when the map is going to be incredibly difficult to do alone.
~Parthenope on Cerulean~
[Sep 18, 2015 2:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

If you're going solo, it heavily weighs on the map itself. Don't be scared to throw away LBs and disengage when the map is going to be incredibly difficult to do alone.

This is also true - a single lifeboat is only, give or take a bit, 500ish PoE. If you're going to make 5-10K per entry, which you definitely should, no matter which level of box you're going for, tossing even 5 lifeboats for a better map isn't really hurting you much.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Sep 18, 2015 11:46:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
mmarple

If you aren't a good bnaver kraken runs are a great way to learn how whirls and waves work. Cuttles are a great way to start but it gets boring and, after a while, you may want to challenge yourself to get better chests.

What chests I go for on a solo run largely depends on the map. Some maps are great for a particular chest and through experience you can assess them pretty quickly. I prefer the larger chests because I get better stuff (weirdly for me pods give some of the best stuff).

I usually exit a map that is too blocked - not worth wasting time on a bad map.

multi-clienting didn't work for me - wasn't worth the cost of two badges and use of life boats for a couple of extra chests.
Megomargo on Emerald
[Sep 18, 2015 2:59:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunar_Midi

... but also super super boring.

This... /e yawns
Thunar

Captain of the crew Kiss The Machine
King of the flag Cross No More Rivers
Cerulean Ocean
[Sep 19, 2015 11:45:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates