• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8946 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Aeternis

Mega-Pi-Day 3/14/15 (WINNERS!!!) Bake Off - Win a monkey Reply to this Post

We have winners!

Yarrhoys,

It's Pi-Day again, but not a normal Pi-Day, it's Mega-Pi-Day as it is 3/14/15 and it's 9.26 (at least in New Zealand) when I'm posting this! Better than the usual 1.59 to post! Everything's better with ninjas pirates! Especially on Pi-day 2015

So as it's Pi Day we need to celebrate! But while we have a reason to celebrate, we also have a reason to grieve. Sir Terry Pratchett died this week and he was a master of the circular realm called Discworld. And we all know that there can't be a disc without Pi, well it could be, but it wasn't a disc, more like a brick and I doubt that Brickworld novels would have had such an impact.

To honor this great writer and celebrate Pi Day, I want you to make a pie, (cake, gateau, giant cookie) with a disc shaped, that is circular with a noticable height.

As I would be fine with just taste testing for judgement, Clotho says it's not possible, so I want your pies to show some pirate stuff and some Discworld stuff. this may be just a pirate dancing on 4 elephants that stand on a turtle or even more subtile with just cats looking up at a hooded YPP-Skellie with a scythe. Everything has to be edible though I don't mind some toothpicks or similar food safe removable stuff if it helps to keep your product stable. As this is meant to honor a man with a great sense of humor, I will confess that humor is definitely part of the judging criterias, so be creative.

As this is a somewhat more demanding task, you have 3+1+4+1+5 days counting from the end of this year's Pie day, so deadline is Sunday March 29th at 2.59 am PST (pirate time).

Prizes:

1st prize: A tan monkey and a commemorative trinket
2nd prize: A sleeping tortoise furniture and a commemorative trinket
3rd prize: An elephant pet and a commemorative trinket
Honorable Mentions: A cat pet and a commemorative trinket

Rules in detail:
- Deadline March 29th at 2.59 am pirate time (PST) Any entry edited or posted after that time will be deleted
- Make a pie/cake/gateau/giant cookie depicting something combining pirates or YPP with something from Discworld
- While your base has to be 3 dimensional, your 'picture/scene' may or may not be 3 dimensional
- Everything has to be edible and should be fitting to your entry. You may add removable food safe things for stability like tooth picks, but not as decorative elements.
- You need to provide at least 5 photos with a physical (not photoshopped) name plate containing your name ocean and 3/14/15 on it:
- materials
- 2 work in progress shots
- 1 of the finished cake
- 1 of the finished cake cut, so it really gets eaten!
- Post those together with your pirate name and ocean to the entry thread
- You may add a description and recipe of the cake

Have fun and if you have questions, just ask.

Happy Pi Day

PS: Useful Links

entry thread
Discworld information

We have winners!
----------------------------------------
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Aeternis at Apr 21, 2015 1:15:12 PM]
[Mar 13, 2015 1:26:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Re: Mega-Pi-Day 3/14/15 (ends March 29th 2.59 am PST) Bake Off - Win a monkey Reply to this Post

Aww, I'm tearfully happy this includes a Pratchett tribute.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

<---Dexla drew it.
[Mar 13, 2015 3:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Re: Mega-Pi-Day 3/14/15 (ends March 29th 2.59 am PST) Bake Off - Win a monkey Reply to this Post

Aww, I'm tearfully happy this includes a Pratchett tribute.

Agreed.

Sounds like an awesome event and a great excuse to make something yummy and cute!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Mar 13, 2015 5:01:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Nooooo!

I hadn't heard. :(
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Mar 13, 2015 10:46:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoanQ

Took a midweek break from school-stuff and entered w a French King PastryCake!
/e cheers for having a freeday off Uni
Telikos of Perilous Puppets, Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ShoanQ at Mar 24, 2015 11:24:02 PM]
[Mar 24, 2015 11:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

A pastry is for all means of this competition a pie/cake/whatever ;)

[Mar 25, 2015 12:47:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iPartyHard

Could we bake cupcakes if we assemble it into a giant cupcake cake? Sort of like this?
Etiquette on Meridian.
[Mar 25, 2015 3:55:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Sure, why not. It's about the fun and it's still a cake and it still has circular bases.

[Mar 25, 2015 5:35:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

The Luggage! <3 <3 <3
Herowena of Cerulean

<---Dexla drew it.
[Mar 28, 2015 11:38:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoanQ

The Luggage! <3 <3 <3

^This

Quansha's entry made me laugh too! Am totally guilty D:
[Mar 29, 2015 12:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Quansha's entry made me laugh too! Am totally guilty D:

SUCH cleverness!
Herowena of Cerulean

<---Dexla drew it.
[Mar 29, 2015 8:53:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Great entries, all of you! I will have some hard time to decide who did best. And I really need to stop doing food competitions I can't taste test...

[Mar 29, 2015 2:05:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Gorgeous cakes (and hella yummy-looking, too)! Nice job. :D
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Mar 30, 2015 11:03:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

After another 314 days (or so) we finally have winners. All your entries were great and so it was hard to judge, but we finally finished it.

2 honorable mentions are sent to Emerald:
Telikos and Tinkerbella did an awesome Job and I was directly reminded at a Cohen Cosplayer I met once. and who doesn't love elephants?

3rd place is going to Herowena of Cerulean and the circumfence-kraken. A great Idea and a nice looking cake. What did you use for the water?

2nd place will be sent to Meridian of Greylade (or the other way round) for depicting one of the greatest characters of discworld in a great way. I won't PvP you ;)

and the winner is: Quansha of Emerald with a very nice pit and from looking at the WiP photos a very tasty cake.

Clotho will magically deliver prizes to you soonish and thank you again for participating.

[Apr 21, 2015 1:11:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Hurrah, thank you! Egg custard and blue food coloring result in swampy green water, but it tasted good. With eyes closed.

Congratulations to everyone. I think you honored Sir Terry in an appropriately off-beat fashion. Thank you for the event, Locu. I'm happy I managed to participate in your inspired madness!
Herowena of Cerulean

<---Dexla drew it.
[Apr 21, 2015 2:11:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Congrats everyone, especially Quansha, and a big thanks for the 2nd place nod. This was such a fun (and yummy!) event, thanks for hosting Locu!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Apr 21, 2015 4:20:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShoanQ

Re: Mega-Pi-Day 3/14/15 (WINNERS!!!) Bake Off - Win a monkey Reply to this Post

Congrats everyone! And thank you Locu for hosting the event, had loads of fun :)
[Apr 21, 2015 4:53:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quansha

Huge thanks for the price and a great event! Congratulations to everyone, those were some awesome looking cakes. Now I'm craving sweets for some reason...

(Thought about naming the monkey Librarian, but then thought of the pummeling it would get me.)
Quansha on Emerald
[Apr 21, 2015 8:29:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Huge thanks for the price and a great event! Congratulations to everyone, those were some awesome looking cakes. Now I'm craving sweets for some reason...

(Thought about naming the monkey Librarian, but then thought of the pummeling it would get me.)

/me adds "Librarian" to list of names I wish I had thought of first.
I did think of naming my elephant Fifth, but that's kind of cruel.
Herowena of Cerulean

<---Dexla drew it.
[Apr 21, 2015 10:07:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quansha

I did think of naming my elephant Fifth, but that's kind of cruel.

Haha! Cruel, but so funny! :D
Quansha on Emerald
[Apr 21, 2015 10:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I was honestly considering giving out the monkey named Librarian, but thought it might put people off.

[Apr 23, 2015 3:48:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Calling a Librarian a monkey guarantees a beating. I wonder if calling a monkey Librarian works the same way.

I went ahead and named my lovely new elephant Fifth. Hopefully he won't trample me.
Herowena of Cerulean

<---Dexla drew it.
[Apr 23, 2015 5:31:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quansha

I did what ye did and went ahead with the name. No beating yet. Gotta avoid the m-word from now on I guess.
Quansha on Emerald
[Apr 23, 2015 7:27:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

I did what ye did and went ahead with the name. No beating yet. Gotta avoid the m-word from now on I guess.

You definitely should, especially when he's already on your shoulder!

[Apr 23, 2015 1:02:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tinkerb3lla

Thanks for my prizes and congrats to you all :)

Thanks to Locu for hosting this event
[Apr 26, 2015 9:27:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates