• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1980 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
amyliz33

Score crabs based on how high up board when cleared Reply to this Post

In Bilging, instead of scoring crabs based on the water level, score crabs based on how high up the board they are when they get cleared.

I've edited the post topic to be more specific. - Faulkston
----------------------------------------
Nazdar & Amyliz
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at May 9, 2007 6:44:56 PM]
[Jun 20, 2005 12:08:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

Re: Crabs in a Bucket Reply to this Post

you should get more points the lower the water level, and the higher above the water level the crabs are cleared.
[Jun 20, 2005 6:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

why? it's easier to clear them when bilge is low. When bilge is high, it's harder to clear them. So it gives a bigger bonus. Harder=More points. So why change this?
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jun 20, 2005 6:49:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I thought crabs were scored on where they are on the board. May be wrong, though.

In any case, I'd hesitate to do this for the same reason cascades don't earn that many points - a crab much higher than the waterline does not necessarily indicate a better player, which is really what the scores should be all about, while the increased scores for crabs are reflected in the reduction in the space of possible moves they entail.
I took my own advice.
[Jun 20, 2005 11:26:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Agreed--crabs high up in a full bilge will actually clear for a poor player if the other bilgers are doing well, giving the poor player an unearned bonus.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jun 21, 2005 2:04:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

What Seattlebrian said. There's a difference between a bilger who is clearin' crabs merely because the water level is droppin', and a bilger who is clearin' a column of 3 (or 4 or 5, as part o' a combo), jes' as the crab nears the water line. And yet no reward fer that difference?
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Jun 21, 2005 3:46:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

Possible ways to score crabs:
* Water level (gives bonus to clearing crabs when empty)
* Height of crab (gives bonus to clearing crabs when full)
* Crab height - Water level (less bonus for clearing when full, signficant bonus if you clear a crab with a cascade that moves it up 8+ units above the water level)

The third appears to give the most bonus to a skilled player who is trying to do something with it.
[Jun 21, 2005 4:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

I've been hunting 3 crabs for a while now.
Anyone got a screenie?
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Jun 21, 2005 4:12:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

Why should you get a bonus for sucking at bilge and letting the water level go real high?
[Jun 21, 2005 9:46:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

SeattleBrian wrote: 
Why should you get a bonus for sucking at bilge and letting the water level go real high?

Why should you get penalized for bad (or no) capenters doing their job?
[Jun 21, 2005 9:49:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Why should you get a bonus for crab position at all? A crab is a crab is a crab.

A crab that is higher up isn't there because you had any choice in the matter - it's there because your ship is doing poorly. It's slightly harder to clear it, but not by much.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Jun 21, 2005 10:13:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

You are all wrong.
The crab bonus is what makes bilge *rock.*
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Jun 21, 2005 11:41:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Mmmm rock crab.

Faulkston,
with drawn butter
[Jun 21, 2005 11:59:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
LoAmi

Dang. Thats a good Idea you got there... Crabs in a bucket...Hmm...
Lto of the Sage Ocean.
[May 7, 2007 2:28:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001391008678 [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

Dang. Thats a good Idea you got there... Crabs in a bucket...Hmm...

You bumped a 2 year idle thread to say that? Uhhh. Gee. Thanks.

Anyway. Doing some deep water bilging the other day, I noticed that even clearing crabs in 3s didn't keep sparkles going very well. After a particularly bad patch, a 5-crabs-cleared brought my dark bilge pump back up to medium blue. Oww.

But clearing a few crabs here and again in combination with a bingo kept things going nice and sparkly.

So... I'm trying to decide, whether or not it's just that I'm keeping a better average up with one way, or if there's an actual multiplier to that your cleared combo size affects the value of the crabs it lifts out of the water.

I could explain the observed results either way. Hmm.

And is crab scoring any different now than in 2005? I'm not aware of any changes in that time.
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[May 7, 2007 2:39:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LoAmi

Nope, I don't think so.
Lto of the Sage Ocean.
[May 7, 2007 5:04:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001391008678 [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Anyway. Doing some deep water bilging the other day, I noticed that even clearing crabs in 3s didn't keep sparkles going very well. After a particularly bad patch, a 5-crabs-cleared brought my dark bilge pump back up to medium blue. Oww.

I'm not sure how to prove this, but I don't believe there is any scoring difference between clearing 3 crabs at once and clearing 3 crabs individually.

Also, I have a feeling that deep water bilgers tend to bilge faster (i.e., make more moves) because they're aiming to clear crabs, not necessarily to set up large combos, and as a result, your points are divided out by a much larger move count.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[May 7, 2007 6:08:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
cpthook04

I'm not sure how to prove this, but I don't believe there is any scoring difference between clearing 3 crabs at once and clearing 3 crabs individually.

Also, I have a feeling that deep water bilgers tend to bilge faster (i.e., make more moves) because they're aiming to clear crabs, not necessarily to set up large combos, and as a result, your points are divided out by a much larger move count.

I do a lot of moves to clear simple 1x3 rows... IF that kills a crab when full bilge. If well when full bilge i do sometimes bingos and even higher combos (specially if is over water), as crabs worths so much in that situation (AND, maybe more important, if you dont care about crabs in a full bilge situation they will accumulate and end blocking your entire board) tends to be my top priority. Remember, good bilging is not about doing high combos or long chains, is getting a good ratio between amount of moves you make and what worth what you do with them, so if killing a crab worths more than the amount of moves you did to kill it, is ok in my book.
[May 8, 2007 7:53:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

If, from some threshold pump color, clearing 3 crabs with 3 1x3 clears causes the same amount of brightening/darkening as clearing three crabs with 1 1x3 clear followed by 2 1x3 clears that clear no crabs, then they score the same.

Easier to do with 2 crabs; but you must be at some not-sparkling pump color and you must run the experiment many times because if, say, you're at palest-blue, well, palest-blue is a range of scores so one time could give you sparkles and another time could give you bright yellow. So you have to do it enough times to see if there's a difference, on average, between the two actions to see if they are equivalent or not, or if one scores higher than the other.

(I don't often run controlled experiments like that, but I try to make a note of changes in pump colors whenever I'm below sparkles to get an idea of what is scoring better and worse.)
[May 8, 2007 8:01:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I'm guessing such an experiment would have to be done on full bilge, since empty bilge crabs are worth so little. Then again, if the bonus were in absolute points, then it'd be harder to detect on full bilge than on empty bilge.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[May 8, 2007 9:14:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
kapish

i think this idea is bad
cause if i'm in a good crew who keep their damage down i wont ear bonuses !!!!!
so i should start pillying with greenie captains ??
same prob with the navy bilge is ALWAYS down
so bad idea
[May 8, 2007 9:12:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

i think this idea is bad
cause if i'm in a good crew who keep their damage down i wont ear bonuses !!!!!
so i should start pillying with greenie captains ??
same prob with the navy bilge is ALWAYS down
so bad idea

Uh. This is the way the game is now and has been - crab bonuses are higher the deeper the water is. Period.

It balances out because it's harder to bilge in deep water than in shallow.

As much as the deep water crabs are worth, it's still harder to score well because you often do a lot of low-score stuff trying to move crabs up.
[May 8, 2007 9:37:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Uh. This is the way the game is now and has been - crab bonuses are higher the deeper the water is. Period.

But should it be based on water level (as it is now), or on how high up you manage to move the crabs (better bilgers move them up higher into the air == higher bonus).
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[May 9, 2007 6:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Moving a crab high up is just a five piece vertical row. That is not difficult at all above the water line.

As for clearing multiple crabs. It goes:
3 Crabs Cleared!

As opposed to
Crab cleared!
Crab cleared!
Crab cleared!

So it does make a difference.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[May 10, 2007 1:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates