• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2564 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Meridien

Swordfighting while holding the spacebar Reply to this Post

After a long layoff I'm trying to improve my swordfighting. I can build okay with nothing coming at me, so I guess my priority at the moment is to improve my basic speed.

A lot of guides talk about playing with the spacebar held down, but I'm finding this doesn't work for me at all. Each new piece requires me to release the space bar and depress it again to get the piece to accelerate to the bottom. This is an act of timing that is beyond me for the moment, especially while also trying to rotate the current piece, and think about where the next piece goes. Is there some sort of setting that I am missing that allows you to actually play with the spacebar held down, or is this just a figure of speech?

I also found mention on a thread from 10 years ago that stated "I am playing with my keyboard on fast auto repeat with the spacebar held down". This further makes me wonder. Am I missing something basic? Has something changed? Do I just need to improve my coordination?

Fair winds to ye....
Erudite on Meridian
[Feb 24, 2015 12:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: Swordfighting while holding the spacebar Reply to this Post

I'm very curious to hear the answer on this as well, since I've never been able to hold my space bar down to get additional pieces. The current piece will fall quickly but the next one will be normal speed, even if my space bar is down. I've developed a method of tapping the space bar which seems to put me at about renowned.

I think this [rotation and piece placement] is a separate issue from above, which I might be able to answer. I know I'm only average at SF but I think rotation and thought of placement is just something that comes quicker to your mind with practice, like the other speed puzzles. After a while, your mind starts automatically putting the pieces together and it improves your timing. Otherwise known as, practice makes perfect.

Again, I don't claim to be anything other than average at SF. But I hope this may help, and a more advanced SFer may came along to answer the rest!

[unrelated] Say hi to Schroedinger's Cat for me. It's been a while since I was in their flag <3
----------------------------------------
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by EmpressTamar at Feb 24, 2015 1:55:42 AM]
[Feb 24, 2015 1:53:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doghnut1

I wasn't aware of such an issue, but when I watched myself, what I did was press the bar the instant the new pieces started appearing from the top.I don't think there was -if any- an effective delay. I'd recommend practicing it a few times, and I don't think the repititive space bar thing will be any good since you have to pause for a second in some sitiuations. Good luck
Doghnut on Meridian
[Feb 24, 2015 4:30:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colvic

I also found mention on a thread from 10 years ago that stated "I am playing with my keyboard on fast auto repeat with the spacebar held down". This further makes me wonder. Am I missing something basic? Has something changed? Do I just need to improve my coordination?

Fair winds to ye....
Erudite on Meridian

The phrase "playing with the spacebar held down" is probably figurative speech (which is the only way to explain it, since holding down the space bar does nothing to speed up the pieces after the first time), rather than meaning a person is literally holding down their space bar all the time. It's more like the person is going as fast as possible so that it's as if the space bar is being held down the whole time.

As has been said, practise is the key. Play as fast as you possibly can. You'll make a lot of mistakes. Over time you'll make less mistakes once you get used to the speed.

Edit: I would like to add, as an addendum, that speed is very important in SF, however, there are some very good players who don't just mash the space bar down at every opportunity - the point of practicing playing as fast as possible is to help you get used to the speed, just don't think that being the fastest is absolutely imperative. Good decision-making will be just as big a deciding factor in your fights.

Different Tournament Formats please!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Colvic at Feb 24, 2015 2:15:21 PM]
[Feb 24, 2015 1:55:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meridien

The phrase "playing with the spacebar held down" is probably figurative speech (which is the only way to explain it, since holding down the space bar does nothing to speed up the pieces after the first time), rather than meaning a person is literally holding down their space bar all the time.

Thanks for that. I wondered if that was the case, but didn't want to further delay the facepalm moment if there was one in my future. ("Wait...you can flip the pieces in carp?")

Best
Erudite on Meridian
[Feb 24, 2015 4:34:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colorhas

"I am playing with my keyboard on fast auto repeat with the spacebar held down".

What this phrase in particular might refer to is your keyboard settings. Depending on what OS you have, you can allow a faster response time from your keyboard by making the Repeat Delay short and Repeat Rate fast. This has been debatable to actually help, since this function is mainly to allow how long you have to press a key before it repeats and how quick your keys can repeat. Might help in other games and quality of life though~ ^_^
Pinkhas (and -East and -West) on all oceans.
Main ocean: Viridian Emerald!
[Feb 25, 2015 7:39:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates