• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3088 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Doghnut1

Unused labor? Reply to this Post

Ok, so all my labor alts except myself (the last pirate) have deluxe badges. No jobs taken anywhere but here, and the pay for one labor hour is 1 poe. It's a deluxe shipyard stall.

The max labor output is 23/hr.
For deluxe badges, 7 x 3 = 21, + 1(normal badge) = 22.
As you see there is some unused labor. Why is this? Am I missing something?
----------------------------------------
Doghnut on Meridian
[Feb 23, 2015 8:12:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Unused labor? Reply to this Post

The game reserves 15-25% of all labor for walk-in, online labor. You are getting almost 90% offline, so you are doing good. I have heard that, for example, having twice as many labor alts in two shops (all alts being employed by both), will get you higher offline utilization, but I've never been in a position to test that.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Feb 23, 2015 8:29:32 AM]
[Feb 23, 2015 8:28:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Incidentally, you do know that by setting the pay to 1 PoE, you're simply having to pay the cost of your alts' labour badges out of your own pocket, right?
[Feb 23, 2015 11:50:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doghnut1

I'm not getting your point but certainly I buy my badges. And thanks wrs for your help :)
Doghnut on Meridian
[Feb 23, 2015 5:00:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I'm not getting your point but certainly I buy my badges.

Basically, your alts' wages aren't covering their cost-of-living expenses. Dropping wages lets you produce things more cheaply, yes, but the hidden cost is that instead of the customers paying for your alts' labour, you are. You're constantly forking out your own money in order to keep your stall running.

Of course, if you are your only customer, then that's less of an issue, I suppose, since you'd be paying for the labour anyway...
[Feb 24, 2015 11:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doghnut1

Of course, if you are your only customer, then that's less of an issue, I suppose, since you'd be paying for the labour anyway...

Yep I am :P
Doghnut on Meridian
[Feb 25, 2015 6:10:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

If you are paying your alts below market rates you are in fact incurring what is called an "opportunity cost" in economic terms.

That is that your alts could be earning better wages at other stalls and making more money then you make of the profits of your stall.

What I do is set good wages at my own stalls and also have my alts take a job at a shop or stall that offers very good wages.

That way I maximise my returns on a labor badge as well as having labor for my own stalls.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vorky at Feb 28, 2015 1:50:16 PM]
[Feb 28, 2015 1:48:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

If you are paying your alts below market rates you are in fact incurring what is called an "opportunity cost" in economic terms.

No, it makes no difference what you pay your alts. What matters is the use-cost of the labor. If your use-cost is 1/1/1, then you have problems. If it is 30/40/70, then you are fine, even if you pay 1/1/1.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 28, 2015 2:17:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

There are use costs for labour? Thought the wages WERE the "use cost" for labour.

Granted, it's been a fair while since I ran a stall...
[Feb 28, 2015 2:23:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

There are use costs for labour? Thought the wages WERE the "use cost" for labour.

Granted, it's been a fair while since I ran a stall...

Normally, I wouldn't do this, but I expect more from you: RTFM
[Feb 28, 2015 2:28:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Even the use cost doesn't matter if you're your only customer...

Example: You're a IM that only sells cannonballs dockside. You decide to set the use cost on labor and all materials to 1. You order cannonballs from yourself and then turn off the "accepting orders," so nobody else can order from you. Cannonballs finish and you deliver to IM, sell at a competitive dockside price. You have direct control over how much the finished product is, there's no need to set use cost on anything. Note that this only works if you purely sell dockside and if you remember to turn off new orders every time you order from yourself. It's what I do for all my SYs, since I only sell rowboats dockside.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Feb 28, 2015 2:45:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Even the use cost doesn't matter if you're your only customer...

Sure... You can also used the Product Adjustment to set all your prices.

It's what I do for all my SYs, since I only sell rowboats dockside.

Dunno about your neck of the woods, but I find that there are lots of bnavvers who insist on ordering lifeboats and won't buy from you dockside. I have my costs set so ordering is more expensive (I like to control my order queue), but if they want to pay more, *shrug*, I'm happy to sell it to them.

Setting really low costs and only enabling products when you are ordering is risky. Having real costs doesn't really change anything. The game just takes more PoE out of your coffers when you order, and then almost immediately gives the PoE back to you. (OK, if you build up huge queues, it could take a while to get the PoE returned, but, well, don't do that.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Feb 28, 2015 3:01:50 PM]
[Feb 28, 2015 3:01:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Sure... You can also used the Product Adjustment to set all your prices.
Exactly, that works as well and allows more direct control over your price.

Dunno about your neck of the woods, but I find that there are lots of bnavvers who insist on ordering lifeboats and won't buy from you dockside.
I have noticed this, but I like more direct control over production. It is something to take into consideration, however. New shoppekeepers should always experiment to find out what strategy suits them the best. :)
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Feb 28, 2015 3:39:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates