• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3986 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
gagund

Ultimate list Reply to this Post

Was there some hidden update that changed the curve?

Yesterday, ultimate lists for most of the puzzles jumped nearly two-fold....
----------------------------------------
-Gagundss
[Feb 19, 2015 9:18:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: Ultimate list Reply to this Post

Updates should never directly change the curve, since this depends on players. My best guess is the puzzle competition last night that had you play every duty puzzle greatly increased the number of people with an active stat... with a greater pool of people for a single puzzle, the ultimate list is sure to increase in size.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Feb 19, 2015 12:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

There wasn't. There were just a few more ults added in some puzzles, probably due to the competition as stated above. Now back to the boring small numbers.

Wish people played this game to puzzle again :/ Midnight/Cobalt used to have as many online players as Emerald does now in 2007/2008 but x3-x4 ultimates.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fkjofsd at Feb 19, 2015 7:05:27 PM]
[Feb 19, 2015 7:01:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Updates should never directly change the curve, since this depends on players. My best guess is the puzzle competition last night that had you play every duty puzzle greatly increased the number of people with an active stat... with a greater pool of people for a single puzzle, the ultimate list is sure to increase in size.

There have been puzzle comps in the past before... especially around the holiday season and there was no increase in ults. Also, i noticed the jump on the Feb 18th list, which is calculated at 3 AM. Wasn't the puzzle comp later that night?

I really think they lowered the curve for ult. Wasn't it top 0.5%? I've been looking at the list daily (to track my progress on getting the golden cannon) and yesterday the number of ults seemd to jump two-fold. It seems to me that a two-fold jump would indicate that perhaps it has been dropped to the top 1%.
-Gagundss
[Feb 19, 2015 8:58:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Ultimate has always been top 1%. And you should check all the puzzles. The increase just affected some lucky duty puzzles but the ones I check the most (Rumble, SF, Drinking and TD) remained the same. And two-fold? It was just 4-6 more ults on a small amount of puzzles.
[Feb 19, 2015 9:14:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Ultimate has always been top 1%. And you should check all the puzzles. The increase just affected some lucky duty puzzles but the ones I check the most (Rumble, SF, Drinking and TD) remained the same. And two-fold? It was just 4-6 more ults on a small amount of puzzles.

Maybe it's 1% to 2%.

I assume you are on Cerulean. The changes are much more clear on the dub oceans and for the popular piracy puzzles. I mean, i haven't really seen more than 10 ults in any puzzle for quite a while now. Some of them are now past 20...

First number is Meridian, Second is Emerald
SF:16, 19
Bilge: 22, 24
Sails:19, 19
Rig:12, 17
Guns:17, 11
Carp:16,17
Patch:11, 14
Forage:12

I don't suppose there's some place that archives the ult list daily so i can show the massive difference?
-Gagundss
[Edit 3 times, last edit by gagund at Feb 19, 2015 9:53:38 PM]
[Feb 19, 2015 9:50:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Maybe it's 1% to 2%.

I assume you are on Cerulean. The changes are much more clear on the dub oceans and for the popular piracy puzzles. I mean, i haven't really seen more than 10 ults in any puzzle for quite a while now. Some of them are now past 20...

I don't suppose there's some place that archives the ult list daily so i can show the massive difference?

I'm from Emerald/Meridian but I check the ult list everyday on every ocean. How could you not see more than 10 ults in any puzzle? Are you sure you weren't checking just an archipelago instead of the full list before?

I mean, I haven't ever seen LESS than 10 on any puzzle you mentioned above except Cerulean, just Forage and Guns very occassionally and Patching twice on Meridian. Numbers are always like the ones you mentioned above, with some small variations, and they're always slowly decreasing but never to the -10 point for now

You can see Google cached pages: Emerald Carpentry on January 9 2015, for example
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Fkjofsd at Feb 19, 2015 10:43:32 PM]
[Feb 19, 2015 10:31:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Maybe it's 1% to 2%.

I'm from Emerald/Meridian but I check the ult list everyday on every ocean. How could you not see more than 10 ults in any puzzle? Are you sure you weren't checking just an archipelago instead of the full list before?

I mean, I haven't ever seen LESS than 10 on any puzzle you mentioned above except Cerulean, just Forage and Guns very occassionally and Patching twice on Meridian. Numbers are always like the ones you mentioned above, with some small variations, and they're always slowly decreasing but never to the -10 point for now

You can see Google cached pages: Emerald Carpentry on January 9 2015, for example

Hmmm looks like i am wrong then. The only list i've been following really closely is gunning, the others i just glance at and maybe remembered stuff incorrectly.

For gunning on Meridian, i've been following closely for about 3 months, and i am pretty confident that there hasnt been more than 10 ults since December. Then yesterday it spiked up to 17, and i don't believe that a puzzle comp (on a weekday) could have been responsible for the spike.
-Gagundss
[Feb 20, 2015 10:20:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Hmmm looks like i am wrong then. The only list i've been following really closely is gunning, the others i just glance at and maybe remembered stuff incorrectly.

For gunning on Meridian, i've been following closely for about 3 months, and i am pretty confident that there hasnt been more than 10 ults since December. Then yesterday it spiked up to 17, and i don't believe that a puzzle comp (on a weekday) could have been responsible for the spike.

Sometimes it just spikes up luckily cause many people get Ultimate that day. Keep in mind that the number of ults doesn't exactly show how many people is playing the puzzle.

Everyday, the curve updates 1 hour after the Ult list does, and the curve doesn't update during the day so if for example I get 20 alts to ultimate in Gunning, then the list will show the typical 10 ults + my 20 alts that day resulting in 30 ults. This will adjust one hour after the list updates and probably the bottom 20 ults will automatically become Legendary, resulting in 10 ults again, but you'll see them as Ults in the list until the next day.

When you see more ults than normal in a puzzle, a nice way to see if that's a real increase in players or not is clicking on the name of the bottom ults after 4AM pirate time and see if they're still Ult or Legendary instead.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fkjofsd at Feb 20, 2015 4:39:11 PM]
[Feb 20, 2015 4:37:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Sometimes it just spikes up luckily cause many people get Ultimate that day. Keep in mind that the number of ults doesn't exactly show how many people is playing the puzzle.

Everyday, the curve updates 1 hour after the Ult list does, and the curve doesn't update during the day so if for example I get 20 alts to ultimate in Gunning, then the list will show the typical 10 ults + my 20 alts that day resulting in 30 ults. This will adjust one hour after the list updates and probably the bottom 20 ults will automatically become Legendary, resulting in 10 ults again, but you'll see them as Ults in the list until the next day.

When you see more ults than normal in a puzzle, a nice way to see if that's a real increase in players or not is clicking on the name of the bottom ults after 4AM pirate time and see if they're still Ult or Legendary instead.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense, because about half of those on the ult list were one person's alt, and like you said, a lot of the bottom one's were leg by the time i checked and the list has dropped from 17 yesterday to 13 today.
-Gagundss
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gagund at Feb 20, 2015 6:28:17 PM]
[Feb 20, 2015 6:26:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates