• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 65
Posts: 65   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19149 times and has 64 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2015 - [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

"Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs!"

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture!

The wait is now ova! Here's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. Remember that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, make sure to mention this as well or we'll choose for you!
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and tricks and links and things:
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
-- You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs from 2006 to 2014.

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

2014: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2013: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2012: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2011: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2010: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2009: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions .. People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2008: event thread -- entry thread -- entries rendered versions -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2007: event thread -- entry thread -- entries rendered versions
2006: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions

TUTORIALS!
-- Silveransom's egg tutorial for Blender
-- Adrielle's egg tutorial for 3DS 2010
-- Silveransom's 2008 egg reference template thread
-- Silveransom's egg rendering tutorial or the simpler 2008 updated version here
-- Ponytailguy's tutorial for testing the designs in 3DS-MAX
-- Inghild's tutorial for testing your own egg designs using Povray
-- Greylady's Photoshop tutorial to reposition your skin image and "wrap" it by a given number of pixels

RENDERING!
In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. If you want to see your design rendered on to an egg shape before posting it as an official entry, try this thread set up by Greylady.

These threads where designs from previous years were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!

-- 2014 rendering test thread
-- 2013 rendering test thread
-- 2012 rendering test thread
-- 2011 rendering test thread
-- 2010 rendering test thread
-- 2009 rendering test thread
-- 2008 rendering test thread
-- 2007 rendering test thread
-- Guppymomma's Rendered Eggs thread from 2006

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, you can get it from YPPedia here, or link to the file directly here. It's linked from http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Egg. You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender). You may need a renderer plug-in.
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

I'm not an expert with these bits of software, so if there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Eggomelet wouldn't be the same without you all!

The deadline for egg designs is Sunday Monday, March 2nd, 2015 - 11:59 PM game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it.

Go forth and lay eggs!

Edit: added link to rendering thread.
Edit2: Removed duplicate as it was proving hazardous to our health :)
Edit3: reminder to submit original work
Edit4: Adding space between eggs and signing up for therapy *giggles*

----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 13, 2015 2:38:15 PM]
[Feb 1, 2015 7:27:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2015 - [Deadline: March 2] Reply to this Post

Yay!! Eggggggzzzz!

If anyone needs test renders, I will be happy to help. Please post your test flats in the EGGS! 2015 Test Rendering Thread

Now please go forth and lay eggs!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Feb 2, 2015 3:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Re: EGGS! Design Furniture for the Game 2015 - [Deadline: March 2] Reply to this Post

That avatar is perfect, Clotho. :D
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Feb 2, 2015 4:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

That avatar is perfect, Clotho. :D

Love it!
[Feb 2, 2015 4:36:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blacktoad3

Hello,

Not an entry, Just a note to the designers of probley the funnest furn of the game.

I looked at those programs, UGG! To much for me so 3 cheers to those who do.

I am a collector of eggs. After 6 yrs now own 367 of them.

Some Ideas of things that may be cool to see.

Eggs with the SMH creatures.

Ying Yang

SANTA!

My favorites are so many.. Shortyjacks poker egg

Greylady continue to impress us!

Good Luck All cant wait to spend a few mil on yer designs.
"Yo, Ho! Ho! Ho!

Prince BadSanta Born on Cobalt

Avatar by Sir Gummy Bear @ Party Central Radio
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Blacktoad3 at Feb 5, 2015 7:18:42 PM]
[Feb 5, 2015 7:52:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

"Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs!"

Why is it that nobody else has pointed out that Shortyjack's egg is there twice and without a space in between them.
Maybe this is a secret hint about say how rigged poker is? I demand a fix though because it's bothering my OCD.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 5, 2015 8:11:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

The dreaded Paste Fail! Run for your lives!

(I was too busy thinking of egg designs to notice before, but yeah, now it itches.)
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Feb 5, 2015 9:57:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

They're conjoined. Don't judge. :(
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Feb 5, 2015 6:39:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Fear not, no more itches! I've removed the eggxtra egg!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 5, 2015 9:44:07 PM]
[Feb 5, 2015 9:43:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Clotho to the rescue!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Feb 6, 2015 5:23:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Implied in all art events, but specifically reminding everyone:

You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
[Feb 6, 2015 11:54:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Clotho! You removed the duplicate, but you didn't add the space back!

AGH, MY EYES!

It's okay, I still love you, Clotho.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jlh0605 at Feb 6, 2015 12:31:35 PM]
[Feb 6, 2015 12:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

F'xed!
I've signed everyone up for a few therapy sessions, myself included...
[Feb 6, 2015 1:56:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Carrd

Is there any test environment where we could test your egg design ( different colors/brightness/contrast) and such? [Where we input the png and it shows the egg in a tailor/house/beach]

Or do we have to hold them next to screenshots in hope they'll look good?

Also, do you adjust the final version if you like the design, just not the brightness
[or would that just be our misfortune if we didn't render 10 different brightness models and choosing the right one]?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Carrd at Feb 9, 2015 8:19:33 PM]
[Feb 9, 2015 8:14:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Is there any test environment where we could test your egg design ( different colors/brightness/contrast) and such? [Where we input the png and it shows the egg in a tailor/house/beach]

Or do we have to hold them next to screenshots in hope they'll look good?

The only testing available is the test rendering thread you have already been using.

Also, do you adjust the final version if you like the design, just not the brightness
[or would that just be our misfortune if we didn't render 10 different brightness models and choosing the right one]?

I am assuming that you are referring to modifying the brightness of the flat design to affect the look of the rendered egg - not changing the lighting settings in Max 3ds. We do not mess with the those settings at all. We are using settings that are as close as possible to those used to render the eggs in game.

FYI, entries are judged based on the flat design, not on the rendered egg. The test renders that we do are pretty close (but probably not exactly) like those rendered for game, and the Arrrtists will decide what angle/rotation to display (which is why it is best to make sure that your eggs are "seamless").

As for the brightness/color/contrast, personally I would try to get it as close to your idea of "perfect" as possible when rendered. This means you should probably modify your flat design, have a test render done, rinse and repeat until the egg has the brightness/color/contrast that you desire, then submit that flat design.

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Feb 9, 2015 8:53:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blacktoad3

OK just was looking at the renderings...

WOW YOU ALL ARE FANTASTIC!

Not that my vote counts but here is a list of favorites i would love to see.

Dynasty666: Flor de les, Ying Yang and her hand drawn flowers are great.

Carrd. Dub coins and rainbow. Your Mary Jane egg is great...sorry it wont be printed

CapnKkatz: your Clotho avatar egg is spot on wonderful.

Sopiegraytb: That purple design WOW!

Carrd: Carpentry Egg MUST PRINT! I love this!

Pickypeanut: I like the mechanical design alot, something in the rendering looks odd, work it some maybe.

Raalala: The 2nd version of your blk yellow egg looks great in rendering

Ruined Ashes: OMG the manatee AWESOME!

Those are the ones that stood out the most. All are great designs. As a collector i appriciate all the effort every designer has put in

Greylady i saw none of your previews??

Shortyjack where are you?
"Yo, Ho! Ho! Ho!

Prince BadSanta Born on Cobalt

Avatar by Sir Gummy Bear @ Party Central Radio
[Feb 10, 2015 9:18:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paulpopper

Oh yay! Eggies!
T'is the most eggcellent time of year.
Sapphic on Emerald Ocean. :D
[Feb 14, 2015 4:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sophiegraytb

Santa sweetie, you are too kind. I guess I need to re-enter the purple one now (it was from my 2009 batch).
Skyelanis - Cerulean via Midnight
[Feb 17, 2015 9:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

Time to start tweaking my eggs from the last entries
Gorev - Emerald
[Feb 18, 2015 1:35:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Clotho, I've got stupid questions but I'd like to be sure.

-- The egg naming system was changed just last year. I assume we can if we want to, suggest names in our entries but it is as always, up to the arrrtists to decide on the names? (This meaning I don't need to try and come up with names because I suck at it, too)

-- When entering designs that we have entered before but were not chosen, we don't need to actually mention that we are re-entering older entries and/or if we tweaked the design or not?

-- References. I don't need to mention when referencing to game art - mentioning that I have taken idea from somewhere else is only mandatory when it is clearly someone else's work? (I want to enter my old cupcake design, pretty sure I don't need to mention the real life cupcakes they were based on...but I also want to enter a design based on a furniture item in-game, more or less imitating it when it comes to placement of objects etc, should this be mentioned?)

Finally, I swear if Lastcall's gear design isn't chosen...I will come and eat all your eggs, Three Rings. Even the rotten ones.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 20, 2015 1:09:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Clotho, I've got stupid questions but I'd like to be sure.

No question is ever stupid!

-- The egg naming system was changed just last year. I assume we can if we want to, suggest names in our entries but it is as always, up to the arrrtists to decide on the names? (This meaning I don't need to try and come up with names because I suck at it, too)

That's correct, you guys can add names to your entries if you wish, but there's no guarantee it will be final tho. If you prefer, you can leave them nameless :)

-- When entering designs that we have entered before but were not chosen, we don't need to actually mention that we are re-entering older entries and/or if we tweaked the design or not?

No need to mention either.

-- References. I don't need to mention when referencing to game art - mentioning that I have taken idea from somewhere else is only mandatory when it is clearly someone else's work? (I want to enter my old cupcake design, pretty sure I don't need to mention the real life cupcakes they were based on...but I also want to enter a design based on a furniture item in-game, more or less imitating it when it comes to placement of objects etc, should this be mentioned?)

Game art doesn't need to be referenced. If you are heavily basing your design in someone else's work, it would only be fair to acknowledge. However, it's not a requirement to participate - we have ways of finding out, you know ;)

Finally, I swear if Lastcall's gear design isn't chosen...I will come and eat all your eggs, Three Rings. Even the rotten ones.

Let's hope you don't have to eat any rotten eggs, we have way too many in the storage!
[Feb 21, 2015 7:19:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Let's hope you don't have to eat any rotten eggs, we have way too many in the storage!

Suddenly what I posted sounds normal. I mean, I'm not the one who stores rotten eggs...

Thanks for the answers, Clotho!
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 22, 2015 4:29:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Sorry for the double post but I've got more questions, not necessarily @Clotho though.

-- I just noticed that I entered back in 2013 a design that I have currently re-entered. That design is really close to what Argghpirate entered already in 2012. This is absolutely not intentional and I wasn't aware of it until now. Considering she had hers entered before I ever did, I can see why my design could be seen as just a slightly altered copy of her work (no, nobody has said that so far). I am aware that I'm being way too cautious and that it's only about my own conscience but should I refrain from posting that entry?

-- I'm assuming that 3DS-Max's result is the closest from what we know when it comes to the final version of the egg in-game? (I initially tried with Povray but that turned out to change the colors a lot, I moved to Blender but the result was way different than with 3DS-Max). I've tried it with my designs for this year but I'm still afraid I'm way off from what it actually would look like ><. Thanks for the rendering guides by the way, people - helps a lot.

-- Back to being too cautious... Would someone happen to have an opinion if the matrix digital rain falls under copyrighted material? I'm talking about the green rain that was featured in the Matrix trilogy, the visual outcome of it in the series. Not the idea itself. I'm asking because if it does, I guess I need to mention that in my post whenever I get to the point actually entering the designs.

That should do it. For now bahahahahaahah! That's right, I've got questions and I'm not afraid to ask.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 23, 2015 3:07:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

-- I just noticed that I entered back in 2013 a design that I have currently re-entered. That design is really close to what Argghpirate entered already in 2012. This is absolutely not intentional and I wasn't aware of it until now. Considering she had hers entered before I ever did, I can see why my design could be seen as just a slightly altered copy of her work (no, nobody has said that so far). I am aware that I'm being way too cautious and that it's only about my own conscience but should I refrain from posting that entry?

Re: copying an earlier design. Personally, I only look at the winning designs from the past so I don't duplicate something already in game. Even though I am helping rendering I really try not to pay attention to their designs so it doesn't influence what I work on and I really don't look at the entries until I'm done, again, so I don't get influenced. But if the design you did was similar to one entered, but not selected, I don't think you have to worry. Plus, variety of a similar design gives the Arrrtists lots of choices! I think we had 3? Hedgehog entries last year which- YAY!- they did pick one in game :D So, erm, I hope that helps on that front?

I'm assuming that 3DS-Max's result is the closest from what we know when it comes to the final version of the egg in-game? (I initially tried with Povray but that turned out to change the colors a lot, I moved to Blender but the result was way different than with 3DS-Max). I've tried it with my designs for this year but I'm still afraid I'm way off from what it actually would look like ><. Thanks for the rendering guides by the way, people - helps a lot.

From what I gather the 3DS-Max is the closest to what the Arrrrtists will use when duplicating your design into a game version of that design. I know last year eggs looked slightly different from the 3DS-Max render to how it appeared in game, but it was def. closer than what any other software that is currently available to us peons :)

Back to being too cautious... Would someone happen to have an opinion if the matrix digital rain falls under copyrighted material? I'm talking about the green rain that was featured in the Matrix trilogy, the visual outcome of it in the series. Not the idea itself. I'm asking because if it does, I guess I need to mention that in my post whenever I get to the point actually entering the designs.

Re: Copyrighted material. I believe Clotho posted about providing reference material if you are highly influenced by a design already out in the cosmos. From what I remember reading, it still needs to be your own artwork, but if you've leaned heavily on a specific, already existing subject matter, you need to disclose that info.

If others have more to say feel free, but I think I remembered everything correctly where paraphrasing Clotho is concerned!

Hope this helps :D
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Feb 23, 2015 8:06:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Thanks for the answers Faeree, sharing my thoughts there. I guess I'm just thinking too much about it all but what can I do. Although I'm running out of time to actually get the work done with the designs <<.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 24, 2015 7:34:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Thanks for the answers Faeree, sharing my thoughts there. I guess I'm just thinking too much about it all but what can I do. Although I'm running out of time to actually get the work done with the designs <<.

At least you've started.

/e starts looking at the calendar and panicking
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Feb 24, 2015 1:04:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

/me hands out paper bags...
[Feb 24, 2015 2:37:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

The deadline for egg designs is Sunday, March 2nd, 2015 - 11:59 PM game time.

Soooo..... The deadline is Monday March 2nd? or Sunday March 1st? /e is a bit confused <3 Or am I having a air head moment? wouldnt be the first time
Firstround on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Firstroundz at Mar 1, 2015 5:00:43 PM]
[Mar 1, 2015 4:56:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Soooo..... The deadline is Monday March 2nd? or Sunday March 1st? /e is a bit confused. <3

Yikes! If it's tonight, I'm totally hosed! :..(

[Mar 1, 2015 4:58:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Soooo..... The deadline is Monday March 2nd? or Sunday March 1st? /e is a bit confused. <3

Yikes! If it's tonight, I'm totally hosed! :..(

Maybe since the forums were down for a long time this weekend if it IS tonight we can have an extension?

/me will post what I have tonight just in case.

(Procrastinators Unite!)

Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by lilymoon at Mar 1, 2015 5:35:14 PM]
[Mar 1, 2015 5:34:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 65   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates