• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7400 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / Spring Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:

Once again, we're combining three themes this month. The first is a Celtic theme - encompassing generic Celtic themes. The second is about Luck - luck, lucky talismans, sights, charms, omens. The third is anything relating to Spring or any celebration around that season. Go forth and paint!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "feb15contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{feb15contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{feb15contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{feb15contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
February 16th 2015, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 28, 2015 12:39:03 PM]
[Jan 16, 2015 8:31:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gazzal619

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / Spring Edition! [Deadline: February 16th] Reply to this Post

how can I check if my portrait background has been submitted properly?
[Jan 26, 2015 9:46:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / Spring Edition! [Deadline: February 16th] Reply to this Post

how can I check if my portrait background has been submitted properly?

The page for the current contest had not been created yet. I went ahead and created it. You can now find your entry here.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jan 26, 2015 10:55:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Felt like an unclear background for the theme. But It's ment for spring, undersea creatures becoming active again and such :3

Always looking for trinkets :)
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rechiva/Trinkets

Rechiva - Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Rechivas at Feb 8, 2015 1:09:02 PM]
[Feb 6, 2015 1:21:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
corkskooner

Here's my entry entitled Springtime Garrrden

With pirate:

// Corkskooner on Meridian // It's all about the hair! //
[Feb 11, 2015 11:25:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cookiegurl9

This is my very first time entering one of these things so I thought I'd give it a shot. However, I can't seem to get it uploaded exactly? >.< Just having a bit of trouble...
Caramelz / Meridian
[Feb 13, 2015 1:22:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Welcome to portrait-land!
Sorry to hear you are having trouble - are you getting an error message or are you not able to find it after uploading?
[Feb 13, 2015 8:01:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

This may be stupidly obvious, but you don't upload the images to the forums. Rather, you upload them somewhere else (say, Photobucket), then find the direct link to the image, then put it in image tags here.

I know, it sounds stupid, but I've fallen prey to stupid mistakes like that before (wrong links, etc.)
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Feb 13, 2015 9:38:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Cookiegurl9

ill upload it to photobucket and try it out again. I clicked on the link Greylady gave then wasn't sure how to add mine. I clicked edit and I saw I could possibly add a link or something but I dunno.
Caramelz / Meridian
[Feb 13, 2015 12:34:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

ill upload it to photobucket and try it out again. I clicked on the link Greylady gave then wasn't sure how to add mine. I clicked edit and I saw I could possibly add a link or something but I dunno.

Are you trying to load the image here in this thread? Or to the entry thread? For this thread, jlh0605 is correct. Load your image to Photobucket (or somesuch), then add here using the Image tag (see button above).

To upload to the entry thread, you can load directly from your computer. Make sure that you have used the correct naming scheme (see the first post). Also, make sure you are logged in so you can edit the page.
- Go to the Portrait Background Entry page
- Click on "Upload file" on the left-hand side of the page
- Under Source Name, click "Browse" to find the file on your computer
- In the Summary field, enter the tag for the month, for example: {feb15contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}} (See first post for complete instructions.)
- Click "Upload File"

You can then return to the Portraite Background Entry page to view your entry.

Hope this helps!

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Feb 13, 2015 1:11:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cookiegurl9

Thank you! I got it now <3

This is with and without people.. its kinda late to make any big changes but opinions are cool :) Personally I prefer with them facing.

Caramelz / Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cookiegurl9 at Feb 13, 2015 11:09:43 PM]
[Feb 13, 2015 11:06:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / Spring Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Announcing the winners!

Rechiva's Whale Season
Link to image

Corkskooner's Springtime Garrrden

Greylady's Catching Lucky Dreams

Greylady's Unlucky!

Rechiva's Activity Under the Sea

Rechiva's Spring is Here

Rechiva's Follow the Rainbow

Saye's Celtic Glass

Wayfarer's Blooming Bay

The winners please send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" with the following information:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing or furniture item (anything in any color purchasable from a shoppe that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

It's very likely that this edition will run again sometime in the future, so those who didn't win this time or those with unfinished work make sure to save the piece so you can submit then.

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!
[Feb 28, 2015 12:38:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / Spring Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you for choosing my little background!!! :)
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Feb 28, 2015 12:50:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for selecting two of mine, and congrats to all of the winners....wow, Rechiva...FOUR selected! Nice!
(Lol, I was really surprised my lighter version of Catching Lucky Dreams was selected over my darker Lucky Dream Catcher! Guess that's why it's always good to submit both varieties if you're not sure! Ya never know what the Arrrtists will like!)

[Feb 28, 2015 10:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Congrats all, and thanks for selecting 4 of mine! :)
Ty Greylady :3
Always looking for trinkets :)
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rechiva/Trinkets

Rechiva - Emerald
[Mar 1, 2015 9:35:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

This edition is now in game. I'll start looking for the winners to deliver PoE, doubloons and trophies (for those who don't have it). Congratulations again!
[Apr 6, 2015 10:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates