• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2056 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Hersh1Squirt

Swordfighting Combos/Strike Reply to this Post

So I am trying to get my Swordfighting up because there are a few SMH people will not even let you do unless you are like a master plus. This is difficult to get up because there are very few lower ranked players actually brawling, most all of them are high rank players and are wagering. i do regularly beat respected/masters, even the occasional renowned. I normally build triple and bingos.

I am just kind of confused on something, i will occasionally play players who fill their entire board and then hit me with this massive combo but i do not understand how they even fill their board that much in the short time we have. I have tested this a few times and the best way i can describe is; I spacebar and fill roughly 40% without ever breaking anything, so i am moving at the fastest possible speed i can and only get that far, when i look at their board or the board icon, alot of these guys have like 80%+ of their board filled. So that is my first question, how is it possible these people have filled their board that much when i have spacebared mine the entire time with no break and dont even have half?

Secondly, i know you need to combo to effectively beat another player, what I am confused on is what in the sequence of breaks causes a certain strike. Example: if i do a triple, so a 4(2x2)x4x4 break, what does that actually strike like? i know a 2x2 makes a 1x4 sword, so i am asking if you get a 2x2^2, does it make a 2x4 sword or a 2x8 sword or whatever it could be? Same with a 2x2^3 what size strike would that be?

What happens to me way too often is ill get to the point where i can easily strike a double (2x2) but i build for a 3 so i dont break, but before i can get my triple, i either get hit or sprinkled which completely messes me up.

Also i personally believe that swordfighting requires a lot of luck, a matter of getting the piece you need in the time you need it, too often i will drop like 10+ pieces to even get the one breaker i need, or i get a breaker a move to late and die, or had no place to put the previous piece and blocked off a huge possible break. I have lost most of my fights just because i dont get the 1 piece i need to break a triple before the other player gets their strike off.

I apologize if this is hard to follow and will do my best to clarify if needed. I am just looking for some insight to what I may be able to do different to better my odds in actually not getting screwed by a strike or sprinkle that blocks my combo off. Any help anyone can give on any of these questions i greatly appreciate
[Jan 12, 2015 7:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gagund

Re: Swordfighting Combos/Strike Reply to this Post

Also i personally believe that swordfighting requires a lot of luck, a matter of getting the piece you need in the time you need it, too often i will drop like 10+ pieces to even get the one breaker i need, or i get a breaker a move to late and die, or had no place to put the previous piece and blocked off a huge possible break. I have lost most of my fights just because i dont get the 1 piece i need to break a triple before the other player gets their strike off.

Everyone gets the same sequence of pieces.
----------------------------------------
-Gagundss
[Jan 12, 2015 8:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

plenty of info at
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Black_Death_Sword_and_Sprinkle_Placement_Guide
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[Jan 12, 2015 10:27:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

So I am trying to get my Swordfighting up because there are a few SMH people will not even let you do unless you are like a master plus. This is difficult to get up because there are very few lower ranked players actually brawling, most all of them are high rank players and are wagering. i do regularly beat respected/masters, even the occasional renowned. I normally build triple and bingos.

I am just kind of confused on something, i will occasionally play players who fill their entire board and then hit me with this massive combo but i do not understand how they even fill their board that much in the short time we have. I have tested this a few times and the best way i can describe is; I spacebar and fill roughly 40% without ever breaking anything, so i am moving at the fastest possible speed i can and only get that far, when i look at their board or the board icon, alot of these guys have like 80%+ of their board filled. So that is my first question, how is it possible these people have filled their board that much when i have spacebared mine the entire time with no break and dont even have half?

You have to take into account the fact that the time you're taking to decide where to place a piece plays a huge part in how fast or slow you are in the puzzle. I've been sword fighting for around 10 years now; the speed at which I can decide where I'm going to place pieces is far quicker than a lot of other players can decide. This is nothing more than experience with the puzzle.

Secondly, i know you need to combo to effectively beat another player, what I am confused on is what in the sequence of breaks causes a certain strike. Example: if i do a triple, so a 4(2x2)x4x4 break, what does that actually strike like? i know a 2x2 makes a 1x4 sword, so i am asking if you get a 2x2^2, does it make a 2x4 sword or a 2x8 sword or whatever it could be? Same with a 2x2^3 what size strike would that be?

Most of these questions are addressed by the BD sword fighting guide linked above. In simple terms your block size is multiplied b the combo size. So a bingo on a 2x2 will produce a 2x8 on your opponent's screen. The exception to this rule is sprinkles; a bingo on 8 sprinkles will only produce around 16 sprinkles on your opponent's screen.

What happens to me way too often is ill get to the point where i can easily strike a double (2x2) but i build for a 3 so i dont break, but before i can get my triple, i either get hit or sprinkled which completely messes me up.

Again, a lot of this is remedied by experience and practice. You will learn where to build on your screen or even how to build in such a way that your pieces are protected from anything your opponent may produce.

There' no more luck involved in sword fighting than any other puzzle. Experience, speed and efficiency will win over good fortune in the long run.

I apologize if this is hard to follow and will do my best to clarify if needed. I am just looking for some insight to what I may be able to do different to better my odds in actually not getting screwed by a strike or sprinkle that blocks my combo off. Any help anyone can give on any of these questions i greatly appreciate

Bolded parts are mine.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jan 13, 2015 7:20:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Schmoos

^ I'll help promote you
Don't forget to check Guantanamo's Minitage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHaKJ0QVzg

:P

/tell me anytime you feel like SFing, or practicing! Unfortunately, PP has been giving me lots of lag and grief lately (for the last 2 months >:(!!!!! ), getting blank spaces and no falling pieces etc....but hopefully that will get sorted out sometime.

Or ask Corteez to help ye out harha!

- Greeni
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Schmoos at Jan 13, 2015 10:48:15 PM]
[Jan 13, 2015 10:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hersh1Squirt

^ I'll help promote you
Don't forget to check Guantanamo's Minitage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHaKJ0QVzg

:P

/tell me anytime you feel like SFing, or practicing! Unfortunately, PP has been giving me lots of lag and grief lately (for the last 2 months >:(!!!!! ), getting blank spaces and no falling pieces etc....but hopefully that will get sorted out sometime.

Or ask Corteez to help ye out harha!

- Greeni

Ya even practice would be nice, for the most part i think i am fairly quick with it, a lot of times i just don't get the pieces i need before taking a major hit, will have a double set up just missing the breaker to break the triple or bingo. Are you on Emerald?
[Jan 14, 2015 12:41:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Schmoos

Meridian unfortunately...

Ah yes, but, every piece can be used...if I had all the time in the world I could do this, but I am guilty of large piece wastages...especially when going for that insta
[Jan 14, 2015 6:47:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates