• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9608 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
marundel

Re: Your Thoughts On Where YPP Is Heading? Reply to this Post

- Instead of having every option available every day, rotate the options for SMH based on day of the week or week of the month. Have an SMH "free" day as well.

I still don't like this one. It means there are weeks I won't play because I can't do CI if I want to.

This response would be one example of what I was talking about with regard to dependence on the social puzzle.
----------------------------------------
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 13, 2015 8:08:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Hideousbeast

- KH payouts are way too high for the amount of risk. Average payouts should come to somewhere between 2K and 8K per hour to be on par with other gaming activities.

I think that if you were to remove the pay advantage of kraken hunting you have to replace it with something that would make it attractive. Currently (to my knowledge) this is the only SMH which does not provide any skills or rankings. Hence, the only thing KH is good for is money. If you remove the money, provide rankings.

My idea is (all averages over time, in conjunction with entries performed):

Able 0-3 Cuttle Boxes average each entry.
Proficient 3-5 Cuttle Boxes
Distinguished 1- 3 Tentacle Lockers
Respected 3-5 Tentacle Lockers
Master 1-2 Cephalo Pods
Renowned 2-4 Cephalo Pods
Grand-Master 1-2 Kraken Eggs
Legendary 2-3 Kraken Eggs
Ultimate 3-4 Kraken Eggs

Something like this would allow the game to be enticing if the payout was reduced. It gives people (like myself) who just love the puzzle of KH something to work towards.

- Few options in the low-end game. OOO has relied on the social puzzle for far too long. The CEO has routinely stated that the social puzzle is of utmost importance, but they have done little to support it. Leaving it to a diminishing player base made up of people with more self-interest than social interest has not worked. There needs to be many more sea-going options for solo players.

An option for this could be to simply increase the navy payout x5 or x10, or even have it set by the governors of the island. Fund it through the tax revenue of islands, and you can only work with the navy on the island that is your home. This would encourage governors to provide good navy pay, that would encourage more business on the island, which would make the big end game more involved.
[Jan 14, 2015 2:43:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

- Instead of having every option available every day, rotate the options for SMH based on day of the week or week of the month. Have an SMH "free" day as well.

I still don't like this one. It means there are weeks I won't play because I can't do CI if I want to.

This response would be one example of what I was talking about with regard to dependence on the social puzzle.

I'm sorry, but how does this follow? I'm in agreement that their dependence on social stuff doesn't seem to be working, but what does this have to do with me having gotten bored of much of the game? I like CI because it has a better mix of what you do, and don't really like doing most of the other things in the game.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 14, 2015 4:07:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I'm sorry, but how does this follow? I'm in agreement that their dependence on social stuff doesn't seem to be working, but what does this have to do with me having gotten bored of much of the game? I like CI because it has a better mix of what you do, and don't really like doing most of the other things in the game.

What it has to do with the social puzzle is simple. At this moment, every option is available every hour of every day. I suspect if I were logged in, I would see the typical listing of one cit run, one CI, and two KH on the board, all with 3 or 4 people hired, but none ready to sail. No one gets what they want. In a venue that had rotating days for available SMH, someone who likes a cit run might still log in and play on CI days knowing that when it is an Atlantis day that the CI guys will return the favor.

Keep in mind I am not advocating people playing a game that they hate 3 out of every 4 days. Far from it. The over-reliance on the social puzzle (as I mentioned above) is part of the problem. However, as long as OOO insists on attempting to advance the social puzzle, those who do not participate in it remain part of the problem. Give me the opportunity to solo a WF in a flotilla or a WB in HS with some chance at surviving and making a small profit, and I will happily play every day... but when there are 4 partially filled voyages of different types on the board with little hope of three of them filling, I will choose the one most likely to sail regardless of the mission.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jan 14, 2015 6:18:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

What it has to do with the social puzzle is simple. At this moment, every option is available every hour of every day. I suspect if I were logged in, I would see the typical listing of one cit run, one CI, and two KH on the board, all with 3 or 4 people hired, but none ready to sail. No one gets what they want. In a venue that had rotating days for available SMH, someone who likes a cit run might still log in and play on CI days knowing that when it is an Atlantis day that the CI guys will return the favor.

Oh.

Well, I can understand the logic, I guess. But I'm not joining the atlantis guys, period. I don't care if they don't join me later on. HS and kraken, possibly-- mostly if I know and like the guy running the show. But I've still got this old ingrained obsession about not running down badges unnecessarily. It's not necessary for me any more, and I know it, but old habits die hard, and as a result, I'm probably not going to even log on with my main on those days.

Keep in mind I am not advocating people playing a game that they hate 3 out of every 4 days. Far from it

You may not be advocating it, but I think the net result would be some of the YPP players (not sure what percentage, but I would be one of them) not showing up on days when their chosen activities aren't available.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 14, 2015 12:27:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Someone needs to hunt down a person who has never played this game and have them play it for an hour or two and provide feedback. I'm certain that this will provide insightful data concerning the game.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jan 14, 2015 6:28:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates