• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4199 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Hersh1Squirt

How Common are Bots? Reply to this Post

So since I have come back to playing I keep hearing a fair amount about bots. I used to play sub ocean back in 2007 just before i stopped and even with as many people played then i never heard about bots. I am not sure if they were around at the time or not but most of the people then were maybe really good at one or 2 puzzle and had a renowned+ standing in those puzzles. Not very often did you see people with Master+ in everything.

Since I have come back i have seen a fair share of pirates with piracy skills of renowned-legendary on pretty much all of there skills. So I cannot help but wonder are these people legit? Or are they using bots to boost their stats?

Just the other day I was on a ship where A guy jumped on a different station every league and had exc/inc on every one. I just couldn't help but wonder how that is possible in such a short matter of time.

So to get back to it, How common are bots? It seems like now a days it is very difficult to distinguish legitimate players from cheaters in PC games since cheats are so widely available and easy to use on PC.
[Dec 30, 2014 5:16:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

Re: How Common are Bots? Reply to this Post

Still a presence in the game, although reduced based on a couple crackdowns. And it's actually quite the opposite... an earmark of a botter is more typically one that has a crazy high standing in one puzzle while other stations are able/resp. Those that you're seeing have leg/ult across the board are actually (more often than not) legit.

Then there are those who hyper rank their pirut by paying others to do so- but that's entirely different than botting, though just as illegal
----------------------------------------
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Dec 31, 2014 5:42:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tidus2iii

Even though I'm a few days late, I totally agree with above post. People with a lot of high standings will be a lot less likely to be botting than people who have low standings on most puzzles with one or two being legendary or ultimate suddenly. Experience counts too. I doubt someone with sublime experience at something will have botted all the way without getting caught. More people get caught than you'd think. Some simply don't give up and change their IP address to then get a new account for a few months to then get caught again (but then for ban evasion instead of botting) and again.

And I certainly don't believe you can bot at every puzzle.

It's just about getting the gist of every puzzle and it's perfectly possible to get all your standings legendary and higher at the same time.
Blits ~ Cerulean
[Jan 5, 2015 8:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forestria5

...It's just about getting the gist of every puzzle...

I find this very true. For a long time, I did horrible at duty naving. Then, one day it just "clicked" for me and now it is my favorite puzzle (so much that I decided to challenge myself and mem ALL of the oceans). I am usually somewhere near Legendary.
Likewise, when Patching came out, I found it very confusing, but now I can do it well and on several oceans I am already Master. I could probably be higher if I wasn't dnaving all the time, lol.
Forestria~~finished memming all oceans on 7/27/17:
Cerulean = 678
Ice = 136
Emerald = 670
Jade = 356
Opal = 295
Meridian = 653
Obsidian = 178
TOTAL = 2,966 league points
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Forestria5 at Jan 6, 2015 6:43:21 AM]
[Jan 6, 2015 6:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tidus2iii

...It's just about getting the gist of every puzzle...

I find this very true. For a long time, I did horrible at duty naving. Then, one day it just "clicked" for me and now it is my favorite puzzle (so much that I decided to challenge myself and mem ALL of the oceans). I am usually somewhere near Legendary.
Likewise, when Patching came out, I found it very confusing, but now I can do it well and on several oceans I am already Master. I could probably be higher if I wasn't dnaving all the time, lol.

Yeah, you should check the backside of my portraits. I used to have a lot of stats being very low, like distinguished to master. About a year and a half ago, I decided to study the puzzles in depth. Not just copy other people's playstyle or guides like people usually do, but really understand the mechanics behind the scoring, to then create a playstyle that fits best for what I'm good at (which is in most cases speed). Then all I needed was a few weeks to optimise these playstyles and I ended up getting all my piracy standings to ultimate with the complementary ultimate pirate trophy. It's all it required me to do. Understanding the puzzles perfectly. (And eventually also understanding how standings go up to then know the best legal ways to get your standing up)

While some people still rather deny that and say "you're botting".
To those people I do offer teamviewer and livestream sessions to show them and teach them, and that offer is always up, also to anyone reading this.

To come clean, quite some years ago before I was good at any puzzle, I did decide to bot at bilge. It took me only a few weeks to get caught and get banned. Eventually I got my account back because I realised cheating was a huge mistake to do. It also shows people who bot DO get caught, unlike some people think.
Blits ~ Cerulean
[Jan 6, 2015 7:40:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates