• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8370 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Sea Shanties Aplenty! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Theme:

We bid farewell to another year and start the new one in a joyous mood. And what better way to do that than with music? For this edition, I'd like you to draw inspiration on music and how it influences pirates... be it the musical instruments, the ambiance or a representation of a shanty. Listen to them shanties and let yerself be carried by the feelings they inspire in yer pirate self!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "jan15contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{jan15contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{jan15contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{jan15contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
January 16th 2015, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 13, 2015 3:39:59 PM]
[Dec 15, 2014 9:03:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Sea Shanties Aplenty! [Deadline: January 16th] Reply to this Post

As a somewhat experienced listener of sea shanties, I'll list some inspiration from my Pandora station. When I mean "somewhat experiences listener of sea shanties", I mean more these snuck into my traditional irish station and are kindof related...

[Weary Whaling Grounds]
[William Taylor]
[The Final Trawl]
[The River Lea]
[Drunken Sailor]
[Wreck of the Julie Plante]
[All for me Grog]

[These from Assassin's Creed: Black Flag are more toward the real stuff]

The tavern songs from the same game have been taken down for the most part, but here's a few:

[Trooper and the Maid]
[William Taylor] (again)
[Patrick Spens]
[Fathom the Bowl]
[Admiral Benbow]
[All for me Grog] (again)
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 22, 2014 10:03:56 AM]
[Dec 22, 2014 9:59:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Sea Shanties Aplenty! [Deadline: January 16th] Reply to this Post

All suggestions/critiques are welcome :)

[Dec 23, 2014 11:26:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

All suggestions/critiques are welcome :)

I think you might be taking the music theme too literally. A music-centered crew with a clef pirate flag makes sense, but I don't think there's enough...music.

Without the clef it's a pretty, but nondescript, castaway background. I'm not sure how it relates.

I'd consider reworking it to incorporate the theme better. If you don't want to rework it completely, maybe add more to the castaway vibe and have music pages blowing away in the wind, some instruments buried or washed up in the sand.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Dec 24, 2014 4:19:26 PM]
[Dec 24, 2014 4:17:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

I decided to whip something up...
Lots of shanties are about either coming home or wanting to come home, so I decided to illustrate a homecoming. Any suggestions?

Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Dec 28, 2014 11:55:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I decided to whip something up...
Lots of shanties are about either coming home or wanting to come home, so I decided to illustrate a homecoming. Any suggestions?

That's a great start! I think it needs a little more detail, the lighthouse in particular. Since it is darkish and the house is farish, there should be some more loss of light on it, and the lightbulb part of it should be more noticeable and ray-like. Since it's so light right now, and about as detailed as the ship, it looks like a lantern that's on deck and not a house that's far off.

I'd also consider shading the ropes more so it looks like the light source is not from the front, but from the lighthouse/moon behind.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Dec 29, 2014 6:53:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Thank you for the advice, Cattrin!

I took everything you said into consideration, and the only thing I couldn't really work out was making the light more ray-like.

Well, now I have two versions! I don't know which I like better.

Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wuppypuppy2 at Dec 29, 2014 3:39:15 PM]
[Dec 29, 2014 1:31:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Radway - I actually like the tattered flag. Though you could add some instruments buried in the sand, I really don't think it's necessary. Hope you'll not be discouraged, and will enter it....and if you do add instruments, then enter both. You never know what the Arrrtists are looking for. :)

@Wayfarer - very nice! I prefer the one with the light rays rather than just the light glow, however, it never hurts to enter both!

Here's what I've been working on. I call it "Monkey Shine Shanty".

...and with pirates, regular and facing...

Your feedback, comments, concerns are welcomed, as always. Thanks in advance. :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jan 8, 2015 9:14:52 PM]
[Jan 8, 2015 9:06:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Greylady: I think that's a great idea. :) The monkeys on the left and right look like ones in portraits, but I think the one in the middle needs some tweaking still, he looks a little too realistic to be YPP. Also, the line thickness of the monkeys compared to the deck is a little too thick. It sticks out even in the smaller version.

Your rats look very similar to[here], and their lines compared to the deck are too thin. For the far one on the rigging, that's fine since he's far away, but the one up close should be deck-thick. The one up close also looks out of place, his bright white highlights look like they're make of a much stronger light than the rest of the image, given the cloudy day.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 9, 2015 8:44:15 AM]
[Jan 9, 2015 8:43:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback Cattrin. I realized that the center monkey was off - way too fat for one thing! - and was working on him. I've modified him, and also reduced the line thickness on all of the monkeys and darkened the deck rat a bit. I played around with thickening the outline on the rats, but it just didn't look right to me, especially when the image got smaller. Hopefully this is a bit better.

Edit: Oops - forgot face shading on center monkey, and changed curl again. :)
Edit2: Missed one bit of shading on center monkey, and fixed fingers on right monkey.

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 3 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jan 10, 2015 9:15:58 AM]
[Jan 9, 2015 3:24:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sodawar

Hi CapnKkatz!
I'd like to make two recommendations for improvement!

First, I think the monkeys would look a lot more cohesive with the background if their lines weren't start black, but a darker shade of their color.
And second, the shading on the animals could be blended or blurred a little more, I think the edge is too strong.

Both of those changes would really help it match in game art.

Here is a concept I'm working on. I haven't really vectored in a lot of the pieces, so that's why I put the sketch on top.
I was thinking of song singing in a tavern. And I threw in a siren, because. They sing.

What do y'all think?

Ominous on Emerald!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sodawar at Jan 10, 2015 11:09:46 PM]
[Jan 10, 2015 9:39:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://celesdragon.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Sodawar - I really like your sketch and look forward to seeing the final product. However, I think the angle is too steep - kind of like the in-game viewpoint - rather than a more face-on angle appropriate to a portrait. Just a suggestion! :)

First, I think the monkeys would look a lot more cohesive with the background if their lines weren't start black, but a darker shade of their color. And second, the shading on the animals could be blended or blurred a little more, I think the edge is too strong.

Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the monkey outlines, however I am leaving the shading as is. It is a bit of a change from my usual style, but I wanted to try something new. Thank you for the feedback.

[Jan 11, 2015 8:28:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Offkiltered

Wow... Puzzle Pirates is great. I just learned the a Shanty can mean a work related song and not just a hacked up version of a home or shoppe. I will have to rethink my concept drawings I have entered. Ever being taught, Offkiltered takes in this new lesson...lol.
Like a finger pointing to the moon! If you look at the finger, you miss all that heavenly glory!
[Jan 12, 2015 2:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Another one. I know it's a very simple idea, but what the heck? Ya never know! :)

[Jan 13, 2015 1:49:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Another one. I know it's a very simple idea, but what the heck? Ya never know! :)

I think that's a great idea! One thing you might want to consider is giving them something to stand on. Even just a strip of wood that insinuates a music stand or piano ledge.

You could enter two if you're reluctant to make the music not end at the top like it does now (though I don't think they'd care if your piece was only 2 lines long, haha).

Another thing might be to curve the solid oval parts of the notes a little when they're in the deep part of a curve (first notes on each line) or on the high part of an outward one, 'cause right now they're just flat (hehe, music joke).

Music-related rant:

Just a few things about the notes: The key is kindof...really weird. The sharp key signatures start at F# (G major) and goes all the way to have 7 different sharps (C# Major). E# (what you have here) is the second to last last sharp to be added. At least in the conventional way to show key, I don't think you can call what you have currently a key...at least without the 5 other sharps. I haven't thought about this in years, my brain hurts.

[here's what I mean about the sharps]

E# is the same note at F. Which just means the effect the signature would have on the piece right now would be that all Es would be played as Fs; that's it. I don't know why you would do that...

I think it would make "old high-school me" happy if you nudged that sharp sign up to the next line. You don't have to, but it does bug her, haha.

Also, why are all your notes the same note? The change between eighth and sixteenth notes is cool, but they're all G? Then the next line is just all E? Someone must not have the melody. >.>

I feel like Musicologist should be conducting this rant. Where is he? He would just about die if he knew there was a music-themed background contest going on.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 9 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 13, 2015 8:55:58 PM]
[Jan 13, 2015 8:44:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Cattrin - thanks for the feedback. To address your concerns:

I think that's a great idea! One thing you might want to consider is giving them something to stand on. Even just a strip of wood that insinuates a music stand or piano ledge.

My original thought was to have them "standing" on the notes - that is one reason the sheet is so large - but it didn't quite work as I'd hoped. If I can find time, I can try changing it up a bit to have a ledge, but that may look weird since there are 2 rows of pirates. :(

Another thing might be to curve the solid oval parts of the notes a little when they're in the deep part of a curve (first notes on each line) or on the high part of an outward one, 'cause right now they're just flat (hehe, music joke).

Good idea, again, time permitting.

Music-related rant:

Just a few things about the notes: The key is kindof...really weird. The sharp key signatures start at F# (G major) and goes all the way to have 7 different sharps (C# Major). E# (what you have here) is the second to last last sharp to be added. At least in the conventional way to show key, I don't think you can call what you have currently a key...at least without the 5 other sharps. I haven't thought about this in years, my brain hurts.

[here's what I mean about the sharps]

E# is the same note at F. Which just means the effect the signature would have on the piece right now would be that all Es would be played as Fs; that's it. I don't know why you would do that...

I think it would make "old high-school me" happy if you nudged that sharp sign up to the next line. You don't have to, but it does bug her, haha.

Also, why are all your notes the same note? The change between eighth and sixteenth notes is cool, but they're all G? Then the next line is just all E? Someone must not have the melody. >.>

I feel like Musicologist should be conducting this rant. Where is he? He would just about die if he knew there was a music-themed background contest going on.

Whew! Well, this might explain a bit. I wanted to base this on the Drunken Sailor song:

I thought I had the sharp in the right position, but I see it should be raised up a bit. But I did draw the melody as shown....just ran out of space to make it interesting. :)

[Jan 13, 2015 9:21:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Ok, here's another version of my sheet music one. This one has more of the "Drunken Sailor" shanty and sits on a music stand. I still have to add wood grain to the stand. Can you think of anything to do with the background? Or is it okay plain blue? I appreciate any comments/suggestions/feedback. Thanks!

...and with 5 or 7 pirates...

[Jan 14, 2015 12:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I appreciate any comments/suggestions/feedback. Thanks!

Ooh, I see the song now. I don't think I would have otherwise though, so zooming out like you did is a good idea.

That sharp in the signature was a F#, but that's very hard to see, I'd confuse it for an E too. x_x

Also...I don't want to be more picky about your music, but when you re-did the second line, you forgot to drop it down a little. The notes should all be on the next line underneath them. Really not necessary, since I don't think anyone's going to actually play your background, haha, so I wouldn't worry about changing it.

I like the look with the stand! If you have any time I'd consider making the stand more textured, since the paper is very textured but the stand is flat. You could get around that my looking like the stand was painted another colour and the paint covered the wood grain.

I think the blue background is fine if you're out of time, otherwise you could add a darker gradient or something to make it more like a wall.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Jan 14, 2015 7:29:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback Cattrin - especially the catch about the 2nd line. Lol, I really DO want the background to be playable! :)

I corrected the second line, added grain to the wooden music stand and modified the background. I think it looks better, but I would appreciate any additional feedback anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

[Jan 14, 2015 3:47:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Just ... wow, amazing work, Greylady. I am kind of a music nut, so I'm glad to see you got the key signature and melodies correct. I am rarely a portrait purchaser, but I'd have to buy one if this made it in-game.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jan 14, 2015 9:15:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Just ... wow, amazing work, Greylady. I am kind of a music nut, so I'm glad to see you got the key signature and melodies correct. I am rarely a portrait purchaser, but I'd have to buy one if this made it in-game.

Thanks so much for the kind words Jamish!

Well, I'm now officially obsessing over music....here's a single pirate one. Suggestions, feedback, comments are welcomed.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jan 15, 2015 3:52:06 PM]
[Jan 15, 2015 3:09:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

It seems a lapse in my portrait awareness has occurred :x.

Pun intended of course? Formerly, retirement. Also, /e dies

Anyhow- are a certain variety of previously-made musical portraits going to be making a reappearance on local portrait boards?
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Jan 24, 2015 10:29:06 AM]
[Jan 24, 2015 10:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Anyhow- are a certain variety of previously-made musical portraits going to be making a reappearance on local portrait boards?

Sadly, no one can answer that... only the devs know!
[Jan 25, 2015 4:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Sea Shanties Aplenty! [In judging!] Reply to this Post

I think we've rendered the judges speechless.
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Feb 6, 2015 10:03:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Sea Shanties Aplenty! [In judging!] Reply to this Post

I think we've rendered the judges speechless.

Lol, I know! And when Clotho posted in the Mariner's Muse I thought sure we were going to have results.

This must be the Arrrtist's way of trying to teach me patience! :)

[Feb 6, 2015 4:38:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

/me waves and sends cookies to ease the wait!
[Feb 6, 2015 5:21:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Announcing the winners!

Greylady's Music Cupboard

Wayfarer's Heading Home

Wayfarer's What Shall We Do

The winners please send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" with the following information:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing or furniture item (anything in any color purchasable from a shoppe that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

It's very likely that this edition will run again sometime in the future, so those who didn't win this time or those with unfinished work make sure to save the piece so you can submit then. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!
[Feb 13, 2015 3:39:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Thank you so much!!!!!! Wow. Congrats Greylady!!
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Feb 13, 2015 3:42:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for selecting one of mine, and congratz Wayfarer for having two selected! :)

[Feb 13, 2015 4:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

I'm Musicologist and I approve this message.
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Feb 13, 2015 9:01:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates