• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 51
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13491 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Chinese New Year / Valentine's edition! Deadline: Dec. 16th [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:

We're combining at least two themes this month. The first is Chinese New Year - on February 19th, it's the start of the Year of the Goat! The second theme is Valentine's Day. I said 'at least' because you may also use any festivity or holiday between mid-January to the end of February. You can use any aspect of these themes as the inspiration for your portrait background.

If you're representing a religious holiday, remember to stick to the secular celebration of that holiday rather than overtly religious images.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "dec14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{dec14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{dec14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{dec14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
December 16th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Clotho at Dec 27, 2014 11:47:34 AM]
[Nov 14, 2014 6:38:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bugeyedbug

Re: Chinese New Year / Valentine's edition! [Deadline: December 16th] Reply to this Post

Interesting that you call it the year of the goat. Most people I know recognize it as the year of the sheep. Do you have your heart set on goat or can artists use either the goat OR the sheep?
[Nov 17, 2014 3:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Re: Chinese New Year / Valentine's edition! [Deadline: December 16th] Reply to this Post

This is my year. ^_^ I typically go with the Sheep, but will answer to scapeGoat every once in a while. ;) I'll be curious to hear your ruling on this, Clotho.

Twilah on Meridian
[Nov 17, 2014 3:35:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

I'm blaming Wikipedia on this one, as I copied it from there: "? Yáng Goat: February 19, 2015". If anyone has a more reliable source, please do share!

Edit: feel free to use sheep instead of goat. We can always call it artistic license!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Clotho at Nov 17, 2014 4:48:47 PM]
[Nov 17, 2014 4:47:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bugeyedbug

Thanks Clotho! You're the best!
[Nov 17, 2014 4:53:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

.... XD Guess what I did. I got all excited thinking I found an awesome holiday because it had a goat in it... only to realize I probably should have done/entered it in the last contest. Only, I wasn't thinking goats then! Maybe I will save it for the next Christmas edition. :> It will still be relevent then, won't it?

Yule Goat / Yule Tide

Twilah on Meridian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Bellahdonna at Nov 21, 2014 7:27:57 AM]
[Nov 21, 2014 7:19:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Twilah I love that! Where I used to live it still looks very much like Christmas in February with the winters reaching -40 C during the month and meters of snow :) So in my mind that's exactly what the new years would look like then!!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Nov 21, 2014 8:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Twilah I love that! Where I used to live it still looks very much like Christmas in February with the winters reaching -40 C during the month and meters of snow :) So in my mind that's exactly what the new years would look like then!!!!

Thanks Pixelpixie! I suppose the yule goat, in all it's glory, could also represent the Year of the Goat wrapped up in Valentine ribbons, along with the leftover holiday decorations still standing since Christmas. ;) Maybe I'll enter it. And if it doesn't make it this round, I'll enter it again next Christmas contest. ^_^

Twilah on Meridian
[Nov 22, 2014 9:19:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Still like this one from a while back:

So I'm re-purposing some of it and re-entering.

I really want to change the line colours, but unfortunately I compressed together all the valentine part! Silly past me.

Also started to work on this one:

Going for either a "I'm so admired I get valentines from, like, the entire archipelago /hairflip " or "I've got a sweetheart with big pockets." or "I went out and bought these the day after for 80% off"

Any comments are appreciated.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 23, 2014 12:50:08 PM]
[Nov 23, 2014 10:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Still like this one from a while back:

Going for either a "I'm so admired I get valentines from, like, the entire archipelago /hairflip " or "I've got a sweetheart with big pockets." or "I went out and bought these the day after for 80% off"

Any comments are appreciated.

So, I think it could be cute if you'd add a few of the valentine trinkets (maybe an open box with chocolates and your bitten truffle with it?)

I also remember this valentine card with a kiss, maybe instead of the heart.
Further you already threw in the teddybear with the rose, maybe a heartlocket inthere too?

Page of valentine trinkets: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Trinket#Valentine_trinkets
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Nov 24, 2014 8:26:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Colour update:

Still messing around with some of the red/pinks.

So, I think it could be cute if you'd add a few of the valentine trinkets (maybe an open box with chocolates and your bitten truffle with it?) I also remember this valentine card with a kiss, maybe instead of the heart. Further you already threw in the teddybear with the rose, maybe a heartlocket inthere too?

Thanks for the feedback! I added the kiss card.

For the others, though, I feel it would make it too busy. I don't really want it to be every valentine item possible, but just enough to look extravagant. If someone wants to add their own trinket from their special hearty, I want them to be able to have one that's not already in the image to hold.

I've got the rose bouquet, teddy, cards, and (supersized) box of chocolates. I might put some single chocolates around the bar by the box to make it more obvious that it's a box and not a pillow, though. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 24, 2014 5:31:15 PM]
[Nov 24, 2014 5:30:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Ooo I love them BOTH Cattrin!!! I truly hope both win ^_^ I like the colors of the double one, especially with the updated background hearts :)
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Nov 24, 2014 8:44:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Cattrin. I like the kiss card! And you're right, that's also something. The chocolates would probably work well ;) Don't think you can hold the heart locket tho :P

[Nov 25, 2014 12:12:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Worked a little more, not done yet but getting there! Mr. Bear in the bottom right needs some more work too.

Thanks for the kind words you two. :) I'll think about adding the necklace.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 25, 2014 1:39:50 PM]
[Nov 25, 2014 1:38:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Looks amazing so far everyone!

@ Cattrin: The pirate seems small in comparison, any chance you could shrink it down and maybe add some walls to the edges, with a pretty pink/white floral pattern, or curtains on the edges of the window?

Also, maybe make the chocolate a little darker? I thought it was a random wood shaving at first, not something (well, okay maybe) I'd put in my mouth.

Add some shiny words to the ribbon on the velvet chocolate box! (Love in gold?) and also maybe some silver embroidery to the teddy's heart?

The carved portrait above is really cool and intricate, like something found in a royal palace that a king would have ordered for his queen! a Seal of Love or something!

@Twilah: While I don't really understand it, it looks good, and I think it fits in here as it is going to be the year of the baaa (sheep, ram, goat thing)!

Bossy, picky, annoying Oldwater may be back!
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers
Prince of Slightly Pixilated

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Oldwater1 at Nov 25, 2014 8:59:48 PM]
[Nov 25, 2014 8:52:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Thanks for the critiques Oldwater, they are always welcome!

I'll look into whether shrinking it adds anything, but right now I want the pirate to be overwhelmed by the size of the gifts they've been given.

I'm still working on the chocolate, you're right that its hard to make out. However, there are curtains, which are pink ones between the bear and the box.

As for adding shinies to the ribbon and heart: I'm going to have to decline at that request. Although it's meant to be extravagant, it also has a very soft and warm feel that I don't want to ruin with too much glint and glitter. I do appreciate the feedback however.

Also, for the carved one: do you mean my Sailors Valentine? Its a collage sailors make out of shells they find, kept in a wooden box and given to their love on shore. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Nov 26, 2014 12:13:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

The window-bench and end table both seem a bit tall, the rest is fine. That's kinda what I was getting at as to the shrinking. If you added a Vial labeled "Drink Me" to the table, it would be funny and then you wouldn't have to shrink anything down. But that would likely break the feeling that you are going for. I guess I'm just being silly now xD Now that I know you were wanting it to be overwhelming and huge, I can see how it fits.

If no one hears from me tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving!
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Nov 26, 2014 2:01:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's my entry for Year of the Sheep (ram/goat??). Any feedback would be appreciated as always. :)

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Nov 29, 2014 6:32:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Greylady. My only thoughts were *CUTE!* Maybe the horns a little bit upward? They seem so... hidden..

[Nov 30, 2014 5:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Thanks to all for your feedback so far. Thought I'd give the Valentine's one a go... Comments welcomed and appreciated!

Cupid...

Target Practice...

And just the background...

Twilah on Meridian
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Bellahdonna at Dec 1, 2014 9:36:45 PM]
[Dec 1, 2014 3:38:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Twilah. Haha nice!
Even tho I'd say, if you go with the target practise I'd give it a solid background instead of clouds... I bet arrows would fall through the clouds D:

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Dec 2, 2014 1:55:24 AM]
[Dec 2, 2014 1:54:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Target Practice...

I like this one the best!

That being said, I think it's really too brightly coloured, and missing some other colours.

[This search might give you some ideas].

I think you need to add some blues, purples. The pinks and yellows can be bright, but here they might overwhelm the pirate, and it kindof hurts to look at. :X
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Dec 2, 2014 11:34:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

I dunno if Cupid's arrows would fall through clouds. :> But I'll play around with different backgrounds.

How's the coloring on this one? It's still bright, I know. But that was sort of my angle... you know, those very bright and vivid Valentine's cards you always used to get as kids?

Twilah on Meridian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Bellahdonna at Dec 2, 2014 10:33:08 PM]
[Dec 2, 2014 6:31:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

@Greylady: I love it! Maybe make the ground near the base of the mountains a little more lush, or if its supposed to be barren, make it a little more rocky, it looks like fertile ground.

@Twilah: COLORS!!!! :D The target practice one looks a little sad, throw a sad face (tear and frown) on the pirate and it'll look like Cupid missed them :( I know that trying to fix that would end up being a problem just like the horns and tail one from Halloween, but maybe experiment a little if you have time? Apart from that, COLORS! :D
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Oldwater1 at Dec 3, 2014 9:48:16 AM]
[Dec 3, 2014 9:30:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Greylady: I love it! Maybe make the ground near the base of the mountains a little more lush, or if its supposed to be barren, make it a little more rocky, it looks like fertile ground.

Thanks for the feedback Oldwater! Here's an updated version. Better? Anything else?

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 3, 2014 6:08:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Personally I'd really like to see target practice as a two person portrait...pirate one looking smug and turning away from pirate two who's got a tear. Great job though, love the sky and clouds :)
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Dec 3, 2014 10:48:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Love the entries so far. Couldn't resist this comp, just hoping I can finish this in time. It's supposed to be an evil goat statue guarding a temple carved in the rocks.

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Dec 4, 2014 1:51:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@inghild - Ohhhh! Very scary, and quite a unique take on Chinese New Year! Love it, and can't wait to see the final entry. :)

[Dec 4, 2014 7:32:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

@Greylady: That looks great!

@Inghild: That has a lot of potential! Its defo freaking me out, I lost the staring contest with it ._.
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Dec 8, 2014 9:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks guys. I added some elements to make it look more chinese newyear (I hope)
The weird red circles on the sides will become chinese lanterns. I want to turn the background into black rocks, not sure about the floor yet. Perhaps I should turn it into a snowy setting?

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Dec 8, 2014 2:18:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates