• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7288 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background -Winter 2014 Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy, everyone! It's portrait background time!

Winners!

Theme:
This is the Winter Edition, and you can submit any background that is suitable for release during winter or Christmas/New Year celebrations. You might want to represent festivities for any of the winter holidays, or winter, Festivus, Christmas, Boxing Day, Santa Claus, St. Nickolaus, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, snow, bells, candles, ornaments, wreaths, snowman, snowflakes, trees, decorations, poinsettias, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day or... well, you get the idea.

If you're representing a religious holiday, remember to stick to the secular celebration of that holiday rather than overtly religious images.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case and put underscores between all the separate words in the title
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "nov14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{nov14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{nov14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{nov14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item (New!)
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to PM me to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.

Deadline:
November 16th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Dec 11, 2014 6:01:19 PM]
[Oct 22, 2014 9:13:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Winter 2014 Edition [Deadline: November 16th] Reply to this Post

Here's one I've been working on - "Cozy Christmas". I'd thought about hanging stockings, but they'd be covered by the pirates, so think I'll just stick with the candy apples on the table instead. :)

Any suggestions or comments?

with pirates...

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Oct 27, 2014 10:52:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Winter 2014 Edition [Deadline: November 16th] Reply to this Post

Similar to something I did a couple of years ago.

What do you guys think? #1 or #2? And also anything you think I should add/change ^^,

@Greylady ~ I love this idea, super cosy, maybe you could add more of a glow to the fire and the candles?
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Oct 28, 2014 12:43:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Greylady: I like the idea, but I recognize the chairs and table from [here] and the fireplace from [here]. While I'm all for recycling old backgrounds and images that didn't get into the game, I feel like reusing ones that did should try to be avoided.

Bambeh: #2! Gets the idea across better when they're not blocking the side numbers as much.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 28, 2014 4:38:16 AM]
[Oct 28, 2014 4:36:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Greylady: I like the idea, but I recognize the chairs and table from [here] and the fireplace from [here]. While I'm all for recycling old backgrounds and images that didn't get into the game, I feel like reusing ones that did should try to be avoided.

Well, there is certainly a strong history of reuse. For example, Nordenx's winning ship backgrounds:
Ship by Port Black Survive A Whale of a Tale Good Sailing Iceburgs Ahoy Skull Island

Guess I'll let the Arrrtists decide whether I can reuse or not.

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Oct 28, 2014 9:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Well, there is certainly a strong history of reuse. For example, Nordenx's winning ship backgrounds:

I don't think I'd classify that as reuse. He entered all of those for the same contest, and the Arrtists just chose all of them. He didn't take one winning entry and use it during another contest.

But you're right, it's the Arrtists choice in the end. I was just critiquing.

Another critique: The candle flames look warmer and brighter than the fireplace itself. The fire looks kinda smoky and dull instead of bright and warm (this worked for the spooky witch fireplace but I don't think it fits here).
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 28, 2014 11:47:45 AM]
[Oct 28, 2014 11:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I don't think I'd classify that as reuse. He entered all of those for the same contest, and the Arrtists just chose all of them. He didn't take one winning entry and use it during another contest.

Hmmm...from the Wiki, looks like Whale/Sail/Ice and Skull ones might have been for the same contest - all in 2006, but Black Ship won in 2007 and Ship in Port in May, 2009.

I did add flames to the fire that weren't there in the Halloween entry, but yes, I should probably up the flames and reduce the smoke a bit. Thanks for the feedback (Bambeh too, as I think you made a similar suggestion.)

[Oct 28, 2014 1:10:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hmmm...from the Wiki, looks like Whale/Sail/Ice and Skull ones might have been for the same contest - all in 2006, but Black Ship won in 2007 and Ship in Port in May, 2009.

They were all accepted at the same time, I looked at the old contest he entered. Ship by Port was the first of the series he made.

His YPPedia page shows dates when they were first released, all in 2006, then some were re-released in later years.

Anyway, that's an unnecessary debate:

you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

I think this quote from Clotho's post might clear things up. A crop isn't exactly what you're using, but you took the two most prominent sections and copied them over.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 28, 2014 2:07:26 PM]
[Oct 28, 2014 2:04:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay, I've made some updates. Eliminated the top portion of the fireplace; changed the mantle from a log to a beam; eliminated most of the smoke and added even more flames; changed the chairs to use piping instead of the nail trim; and I'd already added additional candles in different colors than used in the Halloween background.

Hopefully these changes are enough to satisfy everyone. And thank you Cattrin for your sincere concern. Personally I like it even better now! :)

[Oct 28, 2014 7:21:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I might've just had a terrible idea.

Terrible in that I probably don't have time for it. :C I'll try though because I really like it!

My childhood tree had these sets of carolers that we'd hang near eachother. Why not pirates?

Have ornaments been done before? The toppers could be tricky with hat sizes, but I think I could make it work for a majority.

Not sure what size to do, but I could probably crop a one or two person from a larger one in the end and enter a few choices. I like the expansive-sized because it gives more space and decorations for the tree to show.

Edit: Had a little time to start-

Cheating with the needle lines, yes. This is only the main branches, fillers coming later (as is making sure the lines look right, like the middle branch not being eaten by the top ones, or the little guys connecting right to the bigger branches).

How the crops might work.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 5, 2014 6:40:49 PM]
[Nov 5, 2014 5:34:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Bambeh; 2!!!!
@ Greylady.. The new one does look better :) I just personally don't like the walls but that's because I just find it too oldfashioned I suppose.
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Nov 6, 2014 10:31:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Last one for this month - Winter Solstice! Any feedback/comments appreciated as always!

[Nov 14, 2014 10:24:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemedor

Wow, Love that one Greylady.
Maybe you can try something with the blue background on the outside of the circle? (just a try tho. It might be more nice to keep it like this)
Love it!
Nemedor on Emerald
King of Glorious Geeks
[Nov 14, 2014 10:49:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Maybe you can try something with the blue background on the outside of the circle? (just a try tho. It might be more nice to keep it like this)
Love it!

Thanks Nemedor! Yeah, been struggling with the background a bit - it does actually have a slight texture, but too much seemed to distract. Here's another version I kinda like, with stars. Any better?

[Nov 14, 2014 11:22:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Whew, alright, so, I finished this up in the couple hours I scraped up:

[Expansive]
[Two pirate]
[Large]
Single:

My only quarrel is the Large one won't work with both types (4 and 5).

Thinking of realism, do you guys think I should make some placement ornaments:

(cruddy mock-up)

that would make the hooks appear filled even if not all the pirates are there for an expansive? They'd only be shown if the pirate was a ghost, if I made them exact enough to the smallest possible pirate mask (which I guess would be a short-haired lady).

Also, not sure where I can note things to Arrtists reguarding edits, but I can tweak the placement of the hangers on all of them, it's hard to get it right on the cutouts since not every one is a short haired lady. :P
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 4 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 14, 2014 2:49:15 PM]
[Nov 14, 2014 2:45:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemedor

Love it!

Thanks Nemedor! Yeah, been struggling with the background a bit - it does actually have a slight texture, but too much seemed to distract. Here's another version I kinda like, with stars. Any better?

It's perfect now! Not too much and not too little.
Nemedor on Emerald
King of Glorious Geeks
[Nov 15, 2014 4:10:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Winter 2014 Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Wait no more, we have winners!

Bambeh's Festive Feels
Link to image

Cattrin's Couple of Ornaments

Cattrin's On the Tree

Cyphoria's Santa Silhouette

Greylady's Cozy Christmas

Greylady's Winter Solstice

Rechiva's Snowball Fight

The winners please send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" with the following information:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing or furniture item (anything in any color purchasable from a shoppe that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

It's very likely that this edition will run again sometime in the future, so those who didn't win this time or those with unfinished work make sure to save the piece so you can submit then. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!
[Dec 11, 2014 6:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icedsony

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background -Winter 2014 Edition [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Congratulations to the winners! I can't wait to get some portraits painted!
[Dec 11, 2014 10:13:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

congrats to all the winners was hoping my photo bombing elves 1 would make it ah well
Gorev - Emerald
[Dec 12, 2014 12:56:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

congrats to all the winners was hoping my photo bombing elves 1 would make it ah well

There's always next year! I think it's a good idea...but it doesn't look like it belongs in-game. The eyes on the elves, etc aren't close enough. It could also improve with some shading. :)

-

Thank you for choosing mine! I'll send that petition after I'm done with my finals.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Dec 12, 2014 4:20:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cyphoria

omg I've been anticipating this moment for ever! thank you for choosing mine as one of the winter 2014 edition :D

also congrats to the other winners : )
Cyphoria on Emerald.
[Dec 12, 2014 10:11:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks so much for selecting two of my entries, and congrats to all of the winners. :)

Sorry for the delayed response...just home from the hospital with stupid pneumonia. :(

[Dec 13, 2014 6:38:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Thanks so much for selecting two of my entries, and congrats to all of the winners. :)

Sorry for the delayed response...just home from the hospital with stupid pneumonia. :(

eeep! I hope you are better now, sorry to hear that you were ill :(
[Dec 13, 2014 1:03:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

This edition is now in game!
[Dec 16, 2014 2:28:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

This edition is now in game!

yay!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Dec 16, 2014 4:26:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates