• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12461 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Getting Ready for Winter Edition [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

It's that time again!

Theme:
Getting Ready for Winter! It's time to ready your homes, your ships, or anywhere else in your pirate-y little world!

This month we're curious about how pirates might get ready for the leaner months. Do they weatherize their ships? Stockpile durian preserves? Pull out the wool unmentionables?
Give us a glimpse into their wintery preparations!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case. The underscores will be put automatically if you leave a space between words.
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "oct14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{oct14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{oct14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{oct14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to send a petition with the title "FAO: Nemesis" to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.
* Please note that winners should contact about their prizes via petition instead of PM. Add "FAO:Nemesis" to the title to make sure I receive it.

Deadline:
October 22th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Nemesis at Nov 11, 2014 4:01:48 AM]
[Sep 22, 2014 12:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Getting Ready for Winter Edition [Deadline: October 22] Reply to this Post

Thank you, Nemesis! ^^ Hope Clotho is doing alright!

I am personally most excited for this theme!! Love love love winter~ looking forward to everybody's entries! :D

I do have a question... it's been 5 years (approaching 6 early next year) since the creation of my pirate, and back then I guess I didn't really know what to name my pirate so I named it Joondashbug. I did go inactive for some time and when I came back to ypp, I really thought I needed a name change. I think it will be time for me to do that as my favorite season approaches. My question is, I have already put down Joondashbug as the pirate name (in the tag and in the file name of my entries) for the Literature & Autumn edition bgs. Should I go and edit the tags so that my new pirate name is put there or leave it as it is? I haven't changed my pirate name yet, but I do plan on doing that very soon (unless it would be better for me to wait). It will be a much more simple name than the current one (lol). ( ;

Thank you!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Sep 22, 2014 1:34:00 PM]
[Sep 22, 2014 1:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Getting Ready for Winter Edition [Deadline: October 22] Reply to this Post

Thank you, Nemesis! ^^ Hope Clotho is doing alright!

I ditto the sentiment. Hope all is OK in Clotho-land!

Twilah on Meridian
[Sep 25, 2014 7:56:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

All is well now, fortunately :) Thank you Nemesis for taking care of this edition!
[Sep 25, 2014 8:54:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

All is well now, fortunately :) Thank you Nemesis for taking care of this edition!

Whew!! So glad to hear it! And yes, thank ye Nemesis! ((((hugs))))
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Sep 25, 2014 8:57:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Whew!! So glad to hear it! And yes, thank ye Nemesis! ((((hugs))))

HUGS?! Pirates don't hug! Thank Zeus Clotho is back. I might catch pirate-y cooties if I stick around this forum much longer. BLEH!*

*<3
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Sep 25, 2014 9:03:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

/me sprays chocolate pudding antidote on Nemesis.
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers
Prince of Slightly Pixilated

[Sep 25, 2014 9:18:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Hey everyone,
although I've been too lazy during the past 2 week, but I managed to get this one done - or at least that's how to seems to me-

And as always, suggestions and critiques are welcome ^^
I also can't wait to see what others have prepared for this entry, hopefully we see something wonderful just like the previous one ;)

Oh and I almost forgot; I'm so glad everything is going well with Clotho and happy to see you here again :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Radway at Oct 4, 2014 5:24:11 AM]
[Oct 4, 2014 5:22:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Not sure if its to blue, and if I shuld have a different color for the sky? (:

@Radway To me it looks great^^
Always looking for trinkets :)
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rechiva/Trinkets

Rechiva - Emerald
[Oct 9, 2014 2:00:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Just a clarification: Is this theme to be about snow and ice and wintery things, or the preparation for the upcoming winter?

Like, no snow yet but battering down the hatches and buying the de-icer for the decks?

Because I remember there's a winter edition that takes place usually after this month.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 9, 2014 2:30:17 PM]
[Oct 9, 2014 2:29:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Just a clarification: Is this theme to be about snow and ice and wintery things, or the preparation for the upcoming winter?

Like, no snow yet but battering down the hatches and buying the de-icer for the decks?

Because I remember there's a winter edition that takes place usually after this month.

I was wondering the same thing although I did get caught up in my first post saying I'm excited for winter bgs and whatnot haha. >< After rereading the topic description, it seemed to me like the theme is more about preparation, so I'm a bit stuck on ideas, but if there is a following winter theme next month, I'll be super stoked! ^^
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Oct 9, 2014 2:42:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I won't have time to participate in this edition, but I thought I'd offer some examples of what I'd do if I could:

-Knitting! Warm winter woolies would be for your pirate, a hook mitten perhaps, or for your familiar, or even your ship could surely use some cannon cozies to keep the ice off the fuses.

-Plugging all those silly underwater cracks. No one likes a leak in their boat, but it's all the worse if the water is below zero! Better get to tarring.

-Another shipboard preparation would be installing something to help get through the ice. A metal siding that comes to a point at the bow? Could show the figurehead too with a bit of humour, have it holding an ice pick.

-A nice fire is a must. A background about chopping and stacking lumber, or preparing a nice fire, or even enjoying a nice fire.

-Similar to the one above could be exhibiting a window with some early frost on it, showing a cold-looking outside, but inside there's a source of warmth, like a hearth or an oil lamp.

-Not only us pirates prepare for winter, but so do the animals around us. A wooded background with squirrels and others preparing (animals who hibernate, ect) would work. You could also show animals who change colour during the winter looking in-between (fox).
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 4 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 10, 2014 1:09:08 PM]
[Oct 10, 2014 1:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

I tried to draw a knitting background when this edition was first announced and failed miserably. =/
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Oct 11, 2014 4:05:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Irelandjim

Here I have two versions of chopping wood for winter. What do ye think?/How can I improve? Any Ideas?

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Irelandjim at Oct 14, 2014 1:23:33 AM]
[Oct 14, 2014 1:21:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Here I have two versions of chopping wood for winter. What do ye think?/How can I improve? Any Ideas?

Great start mate.

If I could suggest, I'd mute the blues and greens. Maybe add some fallen leaves around the grass, some bare trees poking up above the fence? Looking a bit too summery and bright at the moment.

[example of what ground close to trees in November looks like]
[vs summer]
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 14, 2014 6:14:45 AM]
[Oct 14, 2014 6:11:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Nice work indeed, personally, I like the first one more.

This morning i started drawing head lines for a drawing that is almost the same to yours, I don't know if that's ok, I'm gonna complete it and review it however ;)
[Oct 14, 2014 3:18:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Quick question, left or right? :3

-Feedback is always appreciated-

Rechiva - Emerald
[Oct 15, 2014 1:39:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

Quick question, left or right? :3

-Feedback is always appreciated-

Right!

I like the idea of something on the chimney. Not sure about the lines coming out of it though? Maybe try turn it into a framed picture? Just ideas :)
Flower power<3

[Oct 15, 2014 2:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Hm, ya skipping the lines might be better :)
Here is how it looks w/o the lines.

Rechiva - Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rechivas at Oct 15, 2014 4:10:25 PM]
[Oct 15, 2014 3:04:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hm, ya skipping the lines might be better :)
Here is how it looks w/o the lines.

Very nice, I'd say you're done, if not for one nitpick:

Although the motif on the chimney is the same distance from us than the chimney and things like it, the stones surrounding it have thicker/darker "lines" that make it look closer than what it's attached to.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 15, 2014 4:16:11 PM]
[Oct 15, 2014 4:13:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Beautiful work, Rechiva! Can't get enough of that wonderful pattern on the window!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Oct 16, 2014 4:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

@cattrin Hm, didn't notice that, I'll see what I can do about it ^^

@Joondashbug Thank you!

Rechiva - Emerald
[Oct 16, 2014 8:31:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's mine - Holiday Decorating! As always, I'd appreciate your feedback, comments, suggestions. :)

...with pirates...

* modified around candy canes so they're not floating. :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Oct 18, 2014 7:28:59 PM]
[Oct 18, 2014 6:10:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Great idea!

Something was off about the house to me and I had to stare at it a while. There's something weird going on with either the front wall's siding, or the side's, or possibly both. They don't seem to match the walls on the house and make it look out of perspective.

It reminds me of [this sculpture] outside the Smithsonian at an angle were the illusion starts to break.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Oct 18, 2014 8:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rechivas

Looks lovely^^

But I agree about the house. Maybe it's the Christmas wreath, it looks a bit like it's seen from the front instead of the side along the house. And the back roof is higher than the front. Make's it look a bit strange, example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Valley_Forge_cabin.jpg

And just a small thing with the box, to make it look less floating. There is snow under it, maybe you could make it a bit sunken in to it.

It does feel mean to give feedback :s But I know I appreciate it when I get it, so taught I'll share my thoughts. Witch you don't have to listen to if you don't want to of course.

Rechiva - Emerald
[Oct 19, 2014 8:01:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Looking good mates!
@Greylady: They've pointed out some of the stuff I noticed, but maybe add some wood grain to the house, that may solve the preciously stated feedback. I agree with Rechiva, make the box look a little sunk into the snow as well as the candy cane that is sitting on its side (or maybe bury that one in the snow a bit?). Also, add panes to the window and snow on the window sill, decorations and roof?

Already more backgrounds that I'll need to get, and I haven't even gotten all of the ones I wanted from the past competition! You all are doing TOO good! :P
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Oct 19, 2014 10:41:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've tried to correct the cabin, and changed other bits and pieces. Hope it's better. If I have time, may still add some on Oldtimer's suggesstions - snow on the sills, etc. Any other major problems?

[Oct 19, 2014 1:50:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Any other major problems?

My goodness! How did it escape me! There's NO WELCOME MAT! :O

jk! (Sorta >_>)

Was you calling me Oldtimer a friendly jibe?
/me snuffles, "Its like yer a member of the crew! Oh wait! You ARE! :D"
(couldn't help but brag a bit about that :P)
Hope yer doing well!

I'm starting to feel like the crew's grandpa -_-
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Oct 19, 2014 8:04:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Was you calling me Oldtimer a friendly jibe?

Oh my! That was a real Freudian slip! I know I'm older than dirt, and your name has always made me think that maybe you are too! Sorry for the slip!

I'm starting to feel like the crew's grandpa -_-

Lol, ever looked at my crew saying on Meridian?

Do yer wrinkles have wrinkles?
Are ye older than dirt?
Is yer memory fading?
Do ye drool on yer shirt?
Then this be yer crew, mate,
odd as that seems,
fer here ye be young, mate,
just in yer Sweet Dreams!

Always thought I'd be able to find other "oldies-but-goodies" with that poem, but alas, I think I must be the oldest pirate to still be sailing these seas! :)

...and nothing wrong with being a grandpa!

[Oct 19, 2014 8:18:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Not a slip of yer memory, just something that ye never knew to begin with xD
I'm old in-game, I've played on and off for almost 10 years now, so I've been around, nearly, since the creation of this world :P
I guess I could be considered the surrogate grandpa of our crew xD
I HAVE read yer crew's saying, it made me smile and giggle a little!
irl, I suppose you could say I'm old in spirit.
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Oct 19, 2014 8:35:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates