• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1317 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
WutaiWeb

Haul Turns Table for Atlantis/HauntedSeas/Flotillas Reply to this Post

I've been wondering for years how navigators were able to predict when to move away from a ship/monster corpse's Treasure Haul tile at the exact moment that the corpse would disappear from being hauled to completion. I even made a post a short while back (http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=199682) but didn't really understand the answers, to be honest. :p

Today I was answered by someone that ship/monster corpses have a "haul timer" that counts in units of turns-being-hauled, rather than the haul spots having a finite amount of poe to be hauled. According to this player, a turn on the timer is subtracted every turn that a ship is hauling it, and the actual poe received from the haul spot depends on the amount and speed of the people hauling it (so a haul spot, theoretically, can give little or alot of poe in its lifetime).

Different monsters/ship types have a set number of such turns to be hauled before disappearing, and thus a navigator can count down and predict on-the-spot when to disengage from the haul spot.

Firstly, I would like someone to confirm if this indeed how ship hauling works: haul spots' lifetimes are based on units of turns-being-hauled (regardless of the amount of players hauling it) and are not based on a finite of poe being contained in them.

Second, if this is indeed the case, does anyone know the haul-turn lifetimes that each monster/ship type has? If so, I could put a table up on the wiki - since there is no such information on the wiki yet.
----------------------------------------
Hiding. :3

Wutai - Cerulean/Ice/Emerald
[Sep 19, 2014 4:08:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Haul Turns Table for Atlantis/HauntedSeas/Flotillas Reply to this Post

I think it is both. The way I understood it, haul spots have one, two or three masts, which indicate how rich their treasure is. Then you factor in the efficiency of the ship hauling it, for example, sitting off to the side of a wreck is less efficient than sitting directly on top of it. And of course you have the duty reports and number of those playing the puzzle factored in too. So I think there are several factors in here, and it is not as fixed as you make it out to be.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Sep 19, 2014 5:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Gaah why can't these things be simple, ever. Q_Q

/e wonders how navigators predict when to move. D:
Hiding. :3

Wutai - Cerulean/Ice/Emerald
[Sep 19, 2014 6:01:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Gaah why can't these things be simple, ever. Q_Q

/e wonders how navigators predict when to move. D:

Timing, mostly. You know about how long ago the wreck was sunk (although it doesn't degrade all that fast), how many people are on haul, and after you do it enough, you realize about how long it will last. And if you leave a turn early, no big deal. A turn late is rarely a problem, as well. You're far more likely to have to leave and return because of ships coming near you than you are to just haul uninterrupted. (That's why you'll see ships dancing around a wreck in a circle at times— they're not being a sitting target, while still clearing out a wreck. It's also why, at times, you'll see a navigator just leave a wreck alone and head off. He needs move/repairs, and won't get it with 20 out of 30 people hauling.)
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 19, 2014 7:15:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Back when it was easier to fill big ships and friglantis runs happened a lot, there were tons of people who knew the haul timers. I knew them myself just from jobbing so much and I did brig runs on Mala for a while. I don't remember them any more, although I think trikes last for six turns. It'd be really easy to compile a table just by going on a run and counting the turns, though.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 22, 2014 10:37:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates