• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4536 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
Lamone92

What can we do to get more population? Reply to this Post

Hi there :)

I played this game way Back in the days!
And as i can say i love it!!! I have been on and off with my play time and have seen that the population have droped over the years.

I think that it has grown a bit since it was almost total dead.

So i was wondering what can we all do including the staff off puzzle pirates to Get the population upp again?

Everyone will earn on it to get full servers again :))

Miss the days when it was full server and you have to wait to play :P
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lamone92 at Aug 23, 2014 7:37:18 AM]
[Aug 23, 2014 7:28:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dynamicoverload.iclanwebsite.com [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Re: What can we do to get more population? Reply to this Post

1) Advertise

2) Fix the many outstanding complaints that have been around for years
Hiding. :3

Wutai - Cerulean/Ice/Emerald
[Aug 23, 2014 9:57:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lamone92

advertise would be the first and biggest one!
That would bring more players real fast!

Get puzzle pirates staff to advertise!!! :D
[Aug 23, 2014 11:25:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dynamicoverload.iclanwebsite.com [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

advertise would be the first and biggest one!
That would bring more players real fast!

Well, speaking as someone who's done online advertising recently... maybe. But only maybe.

Think about it. How many banners do you see in a typical day that you totally blow off? Or that you don't even notice because your eyes have been trained to ignore them? Yeah, that's right. I do think that OOO needs to start advertising more. But it's not a silver bullet that will magically bring people in. A lot of how effective it is will depend on where and how they advertise.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 23, 2014 12:53:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lamone92

Ofc!!! Where and how but 2 years of statestic i have learned somthing!
Say you show the advertise to 1000 ppl 1000 see it 800 fint see it or ship it off.
100 check it out then blow it off and 50 are interested in the game but fint find the game not interesting, but 50 start playing...

Say like my experience over the years i post this advertising hit 1000 ppl a day how many will that be a year?

600 ppl? Say half drop off and its 300 a year and thats a Low cout if you go big!
So for players we will love it for the staff ''money money money'' :D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lamone92 at Aug 23, 2014 1:09:02 PM]
[Aug 23, 2014 1:07:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dynamicoverload.iclanwebsite.com [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Ofc!!! Where and how but 2 years of statestic i have learned somthing!
Say you show the advertise to 1000 ppl 1000 see it 800 fint see it or ship it off.
100 check it out then blow it off and 50 are interested in the game but fint find the game not interesting, but 50 start playing...

Where are you advertising? If we're talking the typical internet advertising— some sort of banner on a website— getting a response rate of 1% is abso-freaking-lutely astounding, let alone 20%. And getting 50% of them to move past the initial click is also virtually unheard of.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 23, 2014 3:11:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I came here through a banner ad. It was, admittedly, Talk Like a Pirate Day at the time, so I was a little more receptive to pirate-themed ads than I would ordinarily have been. =)
[Aug 23, 2014 6:17:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I came here through a banner ad. It was, admittedly, Talk Like a Pirate Day at the time, so I was a little more receptive to pirate-themed ads than I would ordinarily have been. =)

I didn't say that advertising wouldn't work or be a good idea. I just don't think that it's magical fairy dust that will suddenly make the game sparkle, and I really had questions about a 20% success rate. That's the type of success that accompanies someone handing out coupons with a really, really good deal right near a place that uses them. I don't know any place that an internet game is going to have that type of return.

I've done advertising as part of work, and with personal projects. I ran one ad that accounted for 2% of my gross sales for a year, and that doesn't count residual or add-on sales. (It's more impressive if you count only the month it started in; it was 10% of the gross for that month.) I've ran other ads that did nothing beyond burn money. So I've seen the good and the bad, and even become passably successful at predicting how an advertising campaign will work. I'm not flawless at it-- no one is-- but I'm better at it than some company's marketing departments. (*Based on my initial opinions about various advertising campaigns I've seen, and how long they stayed.)

My experience with banner ads is that somewhere between 0.05% and 1% click-thru rate is about typical, and that's assuming that you research and target the places you advertise in. The shotgun approach used by many advertising firms probably gets a lower rate, and I really couldn't tell you about the success rate of Google's approach of targeting ads based on web searches, but I can say that I personally find the ads they shuffle my way to be dubious. I know exactly which searches I did that sent that particular ad my way, and... Google needs to do a better job of figuring out why I did that particular search. So that they know that was exactly the wrong ad to show me.
[Edit 6 times, last edit by xelto at Aug 23, 2014 8:17:00 PM]
[Aug 23, 2014 8:09:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

But shouldn't an amazing game like YPP be able to spread through word of mouth alone? /sarcasm
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Aug 24, 2014 4:41:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I've done advertising as part of work, and with personal projects.

I have not done much with advertising, so I leave judgment on how to do it to others. But, OOO seems to take the subject seriously and are trying to use advertising effectively. Several years back, OOO's founder (Daniel James) did some presentations/articles on the subject. I learned a bunch from them.

One point Daniel James made is that if you spend $x per ad and that generates more than $x in revenue, then you should just keep cranking up the amount of advertising. If you fail to get $x in revenue, then you need to cut back and/or refocus. His talks/articles discussed many other things, some of which were "obviously true" in theory, but turn out to be bad in practice. Daniel also mentioned that 7(?) summers ago, he wrote a bunch of large checks for advertising and that it produced a large jump in the ocean populations, but that increased faded far too quickly and most of that money was wasted. Somewhere on the forums, a developer mentioned that OOO had gone so far as to study the location, color and wording of the "play now" button on the home page of www.puzzzlepirates.com, and some combinations worked much better than others.

So, I have seen lots of forum requests for more advertising from players over the years, but I trust OOO to be trying as hard as they can to advertise effectively.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 24, 2014 5:25:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

One point Daniel James made is that if you spend $x per ad and that generates more than $x in revenue, then you should just keep cranking up the amount of advertising. If you fail to get $x in revenue, then you need to cut back and/or refocus. His talks/articles discussed many other things, some of which were "obviously true" in theory, but turn out to be bad in practice.

"Keep ramping up successful campaigns" is one of those "obviously true but bad in practice" things. You have a finite amount of potential customers that watch a certain program/go to a certain site/see a particular billboard/etc. Your initial ad will grab the largest proportion of those customers. Repeating the ad will get diminishingly smaller numbers.

Running a similar ad on a similar show/site/etc will have varying effects. Since it's a similar show/site/whatever, you'll have some potential customers at both places. Depending on your business, either you'll already have partially depleted your customer base, or you'll be reinforcing the incentive to come to you. The "reinforcing" aspect, though, works best with a product that is omnipresent and has competition. Coke, McDonalds, and the like depend on having thrown so much advertising at you that when presented with a choice, you automatically go to them without thinking (because they don't want you don't want to think about the quality of their products, honestly). Something like YPP may get a bit of the reinforcing aspect ("Oh, yeah, that looked interesting a few days ago... maybe I'll try it"), but the pre-depletion aspect will come into play quickly ("Oh, I tried that already...")

As a result, the best approach, IMO, is to run an extended campaign where you're not spending a lot of money at one time, and moving around which places you're advertising in, focusing on places that have customers interested in online games, puzzles, and the like, though passing on places that try to attract your attention for 5-10 minutes at a shot. YPP isn't, by and large, a 5-10 minute game, so you won't keep many people interested in a quick game of Candy Crush and then off to something else.

Daniel also mentioned that 7(?) summers ago, he wrote a bunch of large checks for advertising and that it produced a large jump in the ocean populations, but that increased faded far too quickly and most of that money was wasted.

Yeah, that's why I recommended the slower and steadier approach. It's less likely to bring in a huge influx, but you'll get a higher percentage of those who do come in sticking around.

Somewhere on the forums, a developer mentioned that OOO had gone so far as to study the location, color and wording of the "play now" button on the home page of www.puzzzlepirates.com, and some combinations worked much better than others.

I've often wondered about marketing studies. They seem to spend a lot of money and time to do something that could be accomplished by one person running through several possibilities, finding the ones that appealed to him the most, then pulling in some of the office staff and saying "What do you think, which one do you like the most, and why?" Yes, you run the risk of having a skewed sample base. But if you have a badly skewed sample base, you probably have a badly skewed product, as well, so you'll appeal to only a specific portion of the population, anyway.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by xelto at Aug 24, 2014 6:23:03 AM]
[Aug 24, 2014 6:18:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forestria5

I was wondering if lack of money the reason that I never see TV ads for this game? Just curious because I have seen some great TV ads for several other games like this that my son plays and he actually began playing some of them BECAUSE of what he saw on TV, namely Pirates101.
Forestria~~finished memming all oceans on 7/27/17:
Cerulean = 678
Ice = 136
Emerald = 670
Jade = 356
Opal = 295
Meridian = 653
Obsidian = 178
TOTAL = 2,966 league points
[Aug 24, 2014 12:01:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lamone92

True story! Seen some epic tv ads lately for this kind of games :D

Like you said it must be lack of money :P
[Aug 24, 2014 7:53:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dynamicoverload.iclanwebsite.com [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

You guys can thank silly Erfan for her dumb thread bringing retirees out in the open again.

So, some interesting reading in http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com:8080/vb/showthread.php?t=208240, particularly the image of the apology after it was removed https://i.imgur.com/EDfq5oP.gif. That's just one-admittedly, that particular company is so open with information, they probably shoot themselves in the foot to some degree.

Advertisers job is to sell advertising. Sometimes, they even work on commission or get bonuses based on new sign-ups AND retention, just like any other salesman. Even when they don't however, they probably won't keep that job long if they aren't successfully selling their product or services. It's their job to convince you that their services are what you need, and will be beneficial to you, and get as much money out of you as they can.

How often have you been watching some late night commercial, say-for a weight loss aid, where huge promises are made for the product, but the teeny-tiny legal print at the bottom states "These results are not typical"? Just one example of what advertising often is. Selling you the best possible scenario, even if it isn't the usual scenario when using a product. Advertising itself, is not immune to overinflated claims. Sometimes to a small degree, sometimes gargantuan, as the above linked game developer was reminded.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't advertise. You need to be very careful how to spend whatever your advertising budget is, to make sure that you really make that money back and aren't just throwing it out the window. It is important to get new customers, one way or another. It just doesn't do any good if they don't stick around or don't buy anything!

I remember several years ago there was a big announcement about increasing the number of new greenies that were being directed to the old Midnight ocean, after some player suspected that perhaps doubloon oceans might be seeing more traffic directed their way. I remember what happened in the weeks after this announcement. The players of Midnight pretty collectively spit all over every new greenie who landed on it's shores, and over the stupidest things. "LOL look how that dumb kid talks" "you can't puzzle for crap!" "look at those newb ratings". Yeah, we pretty much sent every one of those greenies packing-not just from the Midnight server, but from the game itself. All of that advertising money was wasted. Because most of us weren't playing the puzzles anymore, our game had changed to "I'm better than you" elitist docktarting.

I was so disgusted with the behavior, I spent the next year touring the doubloon oceans and barely logging into Midnight. It was awesome. I didn't run into any elitist crap, everybody was super active and wanting to play the puzzles instead of sitting around docktarting. Yeah they talked a little funny, a lot of leetspeak and poor spelling (who the hell am I to judge THAT, eh?) But they played, and they were happy to let me play with them even when I was a fresh alt/novice everything player on that ocean. I was really tempted to move oceans, but RL changes shortly after meant I no longer really had time to play at all, and I faded out.

It's been quite a few years since then, but the last several times I logged into the game (because I always miss playing this damn game), this elitist crap, and other crappy attitudes, has not only gotten worse but it had spread to all the other oceans. I've been gone so long, I didn't have the hearty lists and personal friend contacts to get me on a ship, and despite having pretty great stats, they weren't in the right things anymore and some of them had decayed. I could not get hired. Apparently, you can't get on a Kraken hunt unless you've already been on a kraken hunt and gotten trophies, or you lead your own voyages enough to have a high bnav rating. But um, if I lead my own voyages enough to have my own high BNav rating, wouldn't I take my own ship to Kraken instead of joining yours? This is dumb, ya'll. Just dumb.

So, since I can't get on your stupid ship, and I don't want to lead my own, I figured I'd sit down for a few games of rumble and SF. Apparently, I'm a cheater and a ban evader (not), or some part of the male or female sexual anatomy, or some supply you use on that part of the anatomy, or so I was told by the vast majority of my opponents, because I'm clearly way better than my ratings. Which means what exactly? It just happens my ratings have decayed because um, it's been years since I played, and I was never a big wagerer anyway so most of my rumbling and especially SFing, was either on pillages-which is unrated, or unrated matches against friends so yeah, my rating probably doesn't reflect my skill because I don't play rated games much even when I am active. That doesn't mean anything, ffs.

You think the population is declining? You get more updates and new content than we did back then. The biggest difference is the community. A few days of playing has sent me back to other pastures again because as much as I hated the old Midnight elitist crap, it's so much worse now. And it's everywhere-it's absolutely unavoidable. If you play, you will be treated like crap by somebody, at some point, in the next half hour. We used to be such a healthy, mature, engaged community, who liked to help new players, make sure they felt included, and try to keep them around! Heck, my first subscription was because some gals I met kept giving me all this clothing and I couldn't wear it until I subscribed! I wish I remembered their names. Now I get cussed, excluded, and accused of being a cheat.

I know what you're thinking, grow a pair, right? You gotta have thick skin on the internet. It isn't that. I don't care what some stranger online says to me. The problem isn't that, not directly. The problem is what it's replaced. The absence, what's missing, is the problem. This was for me, a very social game. It was a chat room with some puzzles to play when I was bored. It's that vibrant, thought-provoking sometimes, merely hella entertaining other times, community that I miss when I get to missing the game. I can't find it. What did you do with it? You chased them all to other games. They didn't talk right, they didn't have the right ratings, they beat you at a few puzzles. Whatever their crime, you told them they weren't good enough to get on your ship. You told them to go away, to "go kill yourself" or "wait for your ban!" Then you complain that nobody is on your ship. Shame on you.

tl;dr

It isn't just how many players a company brings in that determines the success of their game. It's how the community treats those players that determines if they stay around, and may be even spend a few bucks, so that the company can afford to run a few more advertisements, to bring in a few more players...
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Aug 25, 2014 2:54:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Muroni wrote: 
You guys can thank silly Erfan for her dumb thread bringing retirees out in the open again.

So, some interesting reading in http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com:8080/vb/showthread.php?t=208240, particularly the image of the apology after it was removed https://i.imgur.com/EDfq5oP.gif. That's just one-admittedly, that particular company is so open with information, they probably shoot themselves in the foot to some degree.

Advertisers job is to sell advertising. Sometimes, they even work on commission or get bonuses based on new sign-ups AND retention, just like any other salesman. Even when they don't however, they probably won't keep that job long if they aren't successfully selling their product or services. It's their job to convince you that their services are what you need, and will be beneficial to you, and get as much money out of you as they can.

How often have you been watching some late night commercial, say-for a weight loss aid, where huge promises are made for the product, but the teeny-tiny legal print at the bottom states "These results are not typical"? Just one example of what advertising often is. Selling you the best possible scenario, even if it isn't the usual scenario when using a product. Advertising itself, is not immune to overinflated claims. Sometimes to a small degree, sometimes gargantuan, as the above linked game developer was reminded.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't advertise. You need to be very careful how to spend whatever your advertising budget is, to make sure that you really make that money back and aren't just throwing it out the window. It is important to get new customers, one way or another. It just doesn't do any good if they don't stick around or don't buy anything!

I remember several years ago there was a big announcement about increasing the number of new greenies that were being directed to the old Midnight ocean, after some player suspected that perhaps doubloon oceans might be seeing more traffic directed their way. I remember what happened in the weeks after this announcement. The players of Midnight pretty collectively spit all over every new greenie who landed on it's shores, and over the stupidest things. "LOL look how that dumb kid talks" "you can't puzzle for crap!" "look at those newb ratings". Yeah, we pretty much sent every one of those greenies packing-not just from the Midnight server, but from the game itself. All of that advertising money was wasted. Because most of us weren't playing the puzzles anymore, our game had changed to "I'm better than you" elitist docktarting.

I was so disgusted with the behavior, I spent the next year touring the doubloon oceans and barely logging into Midnight. It was awesome. I didn't run into any elitist crap, everybody was super active and wanting to play the puzzles instead of sitting around docktarting. Yeah they talked a little funny, a lot of leetspeak and poor spelling (who the hell am I to judge THAT, eh?) But they played, and they were happy to let me play with them even when I was a fresh alt/novice everything player on that ocean. I was really tempted to move oceans, but RL changes shortly after meant I no longer really had time to play at all, and I faded out.

It's been quite a few years since then, but the last several times I logged into the game (because I always miss playing this damn game), this elitist crap, and other crappy attitudes, has not only gotten worse but it had spread to all the other oceans. I've been gone so long, I didn't have the hearty lists and personal friend contacts to get me on a ship, and despite having pretty great stats, they weren't in the right things anymore and some of them had decayed. I could not get hired. Apparently, you can't get on a Kraken hunt unless you've already been on a kraken hunt and gotten trophies, or you lead your own voyages enough to have a high bnav rating. But um, if I lead my own voyages enough to have my own high BNav rating, wouldn't I take my own ship to Kraken instead of joining yours? This is dumb, ya'll. Just dumb.

So, since I can't get on your stupid ship, and I don't want to lead my own, I figured I'd sit down for a few games of rumble and SF. Apparently, I'm a cheater and a ban evader (not), or some part of the male or female sexual anatomy, or some supply you use on that part of the anatomy, or so I was told by the vast majority of my opponents, because I'm clearly way better than my ratings. Which means what exactly? It just happens my ratings have decayed because um, it's been years since I played, and I was never a big wagerer anyway so most of my rumbling and especially SFing, was either on pillages-which is unrated, or unrated matches against friends so yeah, my rating probably doesn't reflect my skill because I don't play rated games much even when I am active. That doesn't mean anything, ffs.

You think the population is declining? You get more updates and new content than we did back then. The biggest difference is the community. A few days of playing has sent me back to other pastures again because as much as I hated the old Midnight elitist crap, it's so much worse now. And it's everywhere-it's absolutely unavoidable. If you play, you will be treated like crap by somebody, at some point, in the next half hour. We used to be such a healthy, mature, engaged community, who liked to help new players, make sure they felt included, and try to keep them around! Heck, my first subscription was because some gals I met kept giving me all this clothing and I couldn't wear it until I subscribed! I wish I remembered their names. Now I get cussed, excluded, and accused of being a cheat.

I know what you're thinking, grow a pair, right? You gotta have thick skin on the internet. It isn't that. I don't care what some stranger online says to me. The problem isn't that, not directly. The problem is what it's replaced. The absence, what's missing, is the problem. This was for me, a very social game. It was a chat room with some puzzles to play when I was bored. It's that vibrant, thought-provoking sometimes, merely hella entertaining other times, community that I miss when I get to missing the game. I can't find it. What did you do with it? You chased them all to other games. They didn't talk right, they didn't have the right ratings, they beat you at a few puzzles. Whatever their crime, you told them they weren't good enough to get on your ship. You told them to go away, to "go kill yourself" or "wait for your ban!" Then you complain that nobody is on your ship. Shame on you.

tl;dr

It isn't just how many players a company brings in that determines the success of their game. It's how the community treats those players that determines if they stay around, and may be even spend a few bucks, so that the company can afford to run a few more advertisements, to bring in a few more players...

THIS!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why the game is the way it is today.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Aug 25, 2014 3:03:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

So, since I can't get on your stupid ship, and I don't want to lead my own, I figured I'd sit down for a few games of rumble and SF. Apparently, I'm a cheater and a ban evader (not), or some part of the male or female sexual anatomy, or some supply you use on that part of the anatomy, or so I was told by the vast majority of my opponents, because I'm clearly way better than my ratings.

I had not played a single PvP SF or rumble match for probably 3 years until the kraken Ice testing. While doing testing I entered lots of tournaments. I almost always received at least a "good game", sometimes more positive conversation, and only once did I receive something negative. Even though I lost a lot, it was fun! I still haven't played on production. There are nice people out there, the problem is that they are too hard to find.

So, yeah, I largely agree with your assessment.

On minor note, I think soloing a kraken lair is fun, quite a few people do it. That can help bootstrap you into other kraken runs, if you prefer doing it as a team. Also, the shortage of lifeboats right after the release caused some of the elitism, if you have to pay 2k-6k PoE per lifeboat, you want to make sure that you get enough back to cover it. Still, that doesn't explain the problems with SF/rumble, nor the level of barrelstopperism that happened.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 25, 2014 6:10:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ext1

Things have indeed changed.
Puzzles don't even seem to be important anymore. Just take a look at the ultimate lists, each ultimate means 100 people playing the puzzle in the last 10 days (so 20 ultimates = 2000 "active" puzzlers). Puzzles like Bilging which used to have around 200 ultimates, Swordfighting around 110 or Rumble about 70 back in 2006-2007 now have an average of 33, 19 and 9 respectively on the biggest ocean, Emerald.

And it's not just because the game is running out of players, the community is changing too. Cobalt or Midnight for example used to have the actual Emerald playerbase and there were always around 90 ultimate bilgers, 50 sfers and 35 rumblers. People just don't puzzle anymore. I 'am' a rumbler so I'm always spending less and less time on here as time passes, there's never any kind of rumble activity going on except fam tournaments. Can't believe 2 oceans combined (Hunter and Sage) just make 9 ultimates when they used to give 60 to 70 each.

To sum up. I think the game is too big for the current playerbase. Time passes, games and people change... In order to "advertise" the game successfully, it has to change. I find puzzles to be really hidden into the game, not easily reachable at all and yeah, it's super hard to be new on a game where 95% of the population knows what to do and has been around for years, but that happens on every online game when they stop getting new players for a while.
Exterrere!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ext1 at Aug 25, 2014 7:16:58 PM]
[Aug 25, 2014 8:48:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

You're welcome

</old habits>

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Aug 27, 2014 1:03:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

I don't think you can tar everyone with the same brush. I admire the Cerulean community its got alot of fantastic people, that will do anything to make your playing experience more enjoyable.
Blackhammer.
[Aug 27, 2014 1:43:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

I have not really seen this in a long time. Maybe it is just the people I surround myself with. All of them are very welcoming! So many of us give away our sub time to any new player that wants to try. I always point them in the direction of good crews that take new people, or even those wanting to try Cerulean, under their wing. If anything, I think the whole elitist mess has gone down. Most of the time I see "all welcome" on the NB. As a matter of fact there is an all welcome Kraken up right now as I type.

I love this ocean because of the people and the wonderful community. I know there are some bad eggs out there. It's a shame that one encounter with someone that has a bad attitude can ruin the entire game for someone.

I remember several years ago there was a big announcement about increasing the number of new greenies that were being directed to the old Midnight ocean, after some player suspected that perhaps doubloon oceans might be seeing more traffic directed their way. I remember what happened in the weeks after this announcement. The players of Midnight pretty collectively spit all over every new greenie who landed on it's shores, and over the stupidest things.

I must have missed this! It sounds horrible. Now we are begging for new players and for returning players.

Well just know that the good people, welcoming people, are still out there. I for one, will gift any player that wants to come to Cerulean and I am not the only one. There are so many pirates out there that will.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Aug 27, 2014 3:12:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

I was inspired by the thread on dub oceans to do a greenie test on Cerulean.

I did it a while ago now but just really wanted to see what kind of reaction and help I would get. I landed on shore and there was a greeter, she approached me, welcomed me to the game and gave me some advice. I then asked a question through the greeter method and as a result I spent a good half an hour speaking to a pirate who gave me some excellent advice for a new player. Where to start, what to do etc.

This compared to the reaction on dub oceans seems to be more positive.

From this and my own experiences as a cerulean player, I really do think people are aware of the issue of a lack of players and are doing their best to accomodate new players to the ocean.
Flower power<3

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Fleurs at Aug 30, 2014 3:13:49 AM]
[Aug 29, 2014 4:08:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scrappyilse

I'm not really a new player, but I have returned after about 5 years of absense. My crew from back then hasn't been active for a couple of years now, so I started figuring out things for myself, since I noticed several changes. Greeters were very helpful and so far I've had the very enjoyable experience of doing Kraken hunts and pillages with hardly any experience (made a new character :) ) and all other players I've met so far were very helpful and friendly.

Although there seems to be a small userbase, I don't get the "elitist" vibe from anyone.

As to what can we do to get more population? I don't know OOO's marketing strategy, but as players I think the "word of mouth" can work. I for one am starting a blog (like I've done for two other games I play) and I'll post those updates to Twitter too. Perhaps we could ask veteran players of other games what they think of Puzzle Pirates (Syp comes to mind, as one player who's also on games sites).
Another thing we could do is regularly organize events and post about those on blogs, twitter, facebook, etc. Perhaps something for Halloween/Christmas etc.

Once potential players see updates from current players elsewhere (blogs, review sites, etc) and see that we're being active and such, they might become interested too. And perhaps old players will see that too and return when they see the oceans becoming more active again.

Well, that's all I can think of now. Perhaps more ideas will get to me the coming days :)

ETA: FGoH is stirring things up on Cerulean! Now that's one way to get some action. I hope some more veterans come out of their retirement. Thanks, Erfan!
~regards, Ilse~
Aye, me pirate's life is wonderful!
Obsidian Ocean:
Scrapper
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scrappyilse at Aug 29, 2014 8:48:53 AM]
[Aug 29, 2014 4:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ilsemul.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lamone92

It was not ment to be that i wanted ene players :P but like you said it good eggs and bad eggs out there and mostly good but it would be Nice to kone that the game dont shutdown or stop having players at all : /
[Aug 29, 2014 11:22:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dynamicoverload.iclanwebsite.com [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Aw shucks, I try :) Feel free to come out and play, even if it's not for my side. However, my side has cookies, and I hear the other side does not. So, choose wisely.

Suddenly, I'm really glad that I'm usually nice to greenies. And acutely aware that I should turn off greeter duties.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Aug 29, 2014 1:15:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Scrappyilse

Aw shucks, I try :) Feel free to come out and play, even if it's not for my side. However, my side has cookies, and I hear the other side does not. So, choose wisely.

Cookies! Yes!
~regards, Ilse~
Obsidian Ocean:
Scrapper
[Aug 30, 2014 2:27:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ilsemul.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ladythmpr

Cookies! Yes!

As long as there is a Cerulean Ocean (or whatever sub ocean may follow) there will ALWAYS be Cookies!
--Madanne (on all the Oceans)
Captain, Cookie Pirates, Cerulean
Princess, Crimson Tide, Cerulean

I can chart you anywhere in Cerulean!
[Sep 5, 2014 4:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forestria5

As long as there is a Cerulean Ocean (or whatever sub ocean may follow) there will ALWAYS be Cookies!

3 dozen Chocolate chip cookies are in the oven while I'm typing this!
Forestria~~finished memming all oceans on 7/27/17:
Cerulean = 678
Ice = 136
Emerald = 670
Jade = 356
Opal = 295
Meridian = 653
Obsidian = 178
TOTAL = 2,966 league points
[Sep 6, 2014 12:13:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scrappyilse

3 dozen Chocolate chip cookies are in the oven while I'm typing this!

./me Stares hungrily through the glass (assumption) oven door waiting for the cookies to be ready.
~regards, Ilse~
Obsidian Ocean:
Scrapper
[Sep 8, 2014 4:19:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ilsemul.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Daidaii

Hi there :)

I played this game way Back in the days!
And as i can say i love it!!! I have been on and off with my play time and have seen that the population have droped over the years.

I think that it has grown a bit since it was almost total dead.

So i was wondering what can we all do including the staff off puzzle pirates to Get the population upp again?

Everyone will earn on it to get full servers again :))

Miss the days when it was full server and you have to wait to play :P

Ithinkbanevadingkillsthegamevenmore
Bloodymarie cerulean

Actung Meridian
[Sep 8, 2014 5:11:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates