• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 124
Posts: 124   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26086 times and has 123 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Spooky Halloween and Fall Harvest Edition [In game!] Reply to this Post

We wait for this all year, and now it's here!

Winners!

Theme:
Fall harvest! You can go with fruit or forage as a theme, or the traditional harvest season.
Spooky Halloween! We can never have enough spooky backgrounds for our biggest holiday celebration each year.

This month we look forward to the change of the season as we go into fall colors, celebrating the harvest and heading into the Festival of Spooky Entertainment that we always have during Halloween all the way to Day of the Dead! So, we're looking for autumnal and/or spooky portrait backgrounds, of any size. Autumn leaves, skellies, zombies, ghosts, creepy gothic mansions, masks, parties, trick-or-treat, pumpkins... and oh, so much more! or if you choose to, you could also go for a particular holiday or date - this period would cover holidays between mid-October to mid-November.

This edition gives you choices, so many holidays to draw inspiration from! To name a few: Chuseok, Kishiwada Danjiri, Moon Festival, Mabon, Oktoberfest, Harvest Festival, Mehregan, Nanomonestotse, Jidai Matsuri, Hallowe'en, Sukkot, Dia de los Muertos, All Souls' Day, Guy Fawkes, St. Martin's Day, Thanksgiving, Native American Heritage Day, etc., etc.
As mentioned in other contests, if you do choose a National or religious event to commemorate, try to avoid overt national or religious symbology (picking a random example, if you're representing Wales, a daffodil is more likely to be used than a Welsh flag). Whatever the theme you choose, the content of must be appropriate to the game.

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case. The underscores will be put automatically if you leave a space between words.
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "sep14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{sep14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{sep14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{sep14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.
* Please note that winners should contact about their prizes via petition instead of PM. Add "FAO:Clotho" to the title to make sure I receive it.

Deadline:
September 15th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Clotho at Oct 30, 2014 10:35:18 AM]
[Aug 15, 2014 6:41:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Spooky Halloween and Fall Harvest Edition [Deadline: September 15] Reply to this Post

Threw around some ideas for this tonight. As per Clotho's recent request, references credited as needbe:

Dia de los Muertos altar:

[1][2]

This one is kinda tricky because the Day of the Dead is so fantastically elaborate and colourful that I don't want to distract from the pirate themselves by having too much going on behind them. I think I'm going to try to use a small colour scheme (orange, brown, yellow-green, white), which'll hopefully help it from being too loud.

After that I was thinking of a more spooky one, and I liked the idea of incorporating the Kraken with a creepy dripping-ink frame:

Although I really like this idea it doesn't seem to fit the theme well enough. :C Instead of forcing it to be more autumn or halloween-y I think I'll just save it for a later date.

I wanted to keep the Kraken in there though because it's fun and new, so here's a giant scarecrow Kraken terrorizing pirates in a hay maze:

Then I went more generic autumn with a Pile o' Pumpkins:

Might nix that tree in the distance...

I'm returning to university soon, but I'm optimistic I'll be able to get at least one or two of these done. :)

Opinions are greatly welcome!
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Aug 16, 2014 5:25:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Spooky Halloween and Fall Harvest Edition [Deadline: September 15] Reply to this Post

Wow, what cool ideas and sketches, Cattrin! I'm especially curious about the 2nd one with kraken and the dripping ink frame, but I can't wait to see whichever ones you will be able to finish! ^^
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 16, 2014 7:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Okay I must be really dumb, but I kind of forgot how I re-enter a portrait background. Could someone help me? *blushy face*
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Aug 18, 2014 2:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Okay I must be really dumb, but I kind of forgot how I re-enter a portrait background. Could someone help me? *blushy face*

You just need to go to your previously submitted portrait, select "edit" and change the tag to this month's tag. Don't worry if you don't see the portrait appear in the entries just yet - shortly after the August entries have been selected they will be moved to "retired" and the new entries will be shown on the current entries page.
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Aug 18, 2014 3:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Working backwards,

Dawn of the Planet of the Pumpkins Pile o' Pumpkins

Kraken Hay Maze (this one's a bit out there)

Inky says "Hi".

Is this scary enough for the theme?

Any comments are appreciated. C:
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 19, 2014 3:57:32 PM]
[Aug 18, 2014 6:18:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Clarification:

When re-entering a piece, try to leave the original tag intact and add the new one. That way we keep track of the entries in any given edition - for historical reasons.
[Aug 18, 2014 8:59:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Okay, I will try that. Thank you! :)

[Aug 19, 2014 12:55:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Working backwards,

Dawn of the Planet of the Pumpkins Pile o' Pumpkins

Kraken Hay Maze (this one's a bit out there)

Inky says "Hi".

Is this scary enough for the theme?

Any comments are appreciated. C:

They are all amazing! >< And ooh I do love that ink dripping frame :D that was a brilliant idea, nice Cattrin!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 20, 2014 12:50:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Hey everyone,

this is what i got so far :

I also tried to add some fog, but I don't know if it looks good enough :P

All comments and suggestions are appreciated ^^
[Aug 20, 2014 9:03:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hey everyone,

this is what i got so far :

I also tried to add some fog, but I don't know if it looks good enough :P

All comments and suggestions are appreciated ^^

I like the one without the fog.

I think the fog makes the background too light. Since the pirate can't have a fog overlay, it looks out of place.

--

Widened the Kraken head for those pirates who like big brims.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Aug 20, 2014 11:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

I like the one without the fog.

I think the fog makes the background too light. Since the pirate can't have a fog overlay, it looks out of place.

Thanks for the advice, i agree with you on this point, but i thought adding some fog would make it look creepier :P

I'm gonna admit it, this is the first time i try to draw fog so i kinda didn't know how to exactly do it.

However, I'm gonna try and work more on the fog and make it look more like this : http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/images/e/ea/Cursedintro.png

I believe this way it looks better and more in the form?
[Aug 20, 2014 1:44:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Thanks for the advice, i agree with you on this point, but i thought adding some fog would make it look creepier :P

I'm gonna admit it, this is the first time i try to draw fog so i kinda didn't know how to exactly do it.

Oh ok, I see. Mind if I try to explain how I do fog?

I'm not sure which program you're using, but I use Photoshop. The terms and tools should be similar though. I've done two ways in case you don't have a blur function.

[This is a sweet picture of a Kraken the YPP arrtists made, but I think I'll add some fog.]

I start off by drawing where I want the fog to be, just to give myself an idea. I also draw the direction I want it to go, and make it curl around or behind objects like the spooky thing it is.

Method one: Gaussian blur

Then I take thick lines and scribble all over the arrows.

I then use Photoshop's Gaussian blur function and play around with the strength until it looks blurry, but not too blurry.

After that, I use the eraser tool at 10% or so opacity, and a really soft brush (kinda blurry-looking brush) and shape the fog more to look more like tendrils. Here I also use a normal eraser to make sure that objects the fog goes behind (like the tentacle on the front left) don't have any fog residue on the front.

Method two: Fluffy brush

This is essentially the same as before, but instead of using the blur function, you use a brush that already looks blurry on a medium opacity to make the same kinda looking thing.

Then you erase and such like you would in the other example. I did the top two bits but not the rest so you can see the difference.

Hope that helps. :) If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 20, 2014 5:29:52 PM]
[Aug 20, 2014 5:28:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Hope that helps. :) If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks alot, yes it helped :D

Hope you like the final results :

[Aug 21, 2014 3:30:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Thanks alot, yes it helped :D

Hope you like the final results :

Ooh that looks pretty cool. (: I like the fog, gives it a spooky feel.

Anyone have any opinion on what colour Kraken I should use here? Purple seems like the one most recognized on trophies and news and such, but there's also pretty teal and magentaish and red and navy colours.

There might be others, but these are the colours I've seen.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 21, 2014 7:59:11 AM]
[Aug 21, 2014 7:57:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

I like the red one - but I suspect if your design gets chosen, they may decide to add all of them and let us choose.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Aug 21, 2014 8:07:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Would love any critiques on this one:

Or any of these:

They look about done to me, but I've been looking at them for a while. :)

I like the red one - but I suspect if your design gets chosen, they may decide to add all of them and let us choose.

I'd be flattered if they chose just the one!
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 3 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 21, 2014 2:09:01 PM]
[Aug 21, 2014 1:57:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Anyone have any opinion on what colour Kraken I should use here? Purple seems like the one most recognized on trophies and news and such, but there's also pretty teal and magentaish and red and navy colours.

I personally like the green one, but I'd suggest you enter with all of them and let arrrtists decide?
[Aug 21, 2014 2:01:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

@Radway Nice job on the fog!

I personally like the green one, but I'd suggest you enter with all of them and let arrrtists decide?

@Cattrin I agree with Radway. ^^ Personally, I still like the "original" dark blue/navy kraken best even though the other colors help the kraken to stand out more from the water, but it'll indeed be cool to let the arrtists decide! (:
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 21, 2014 10:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

For sure I like the other three, but on this one I just.... meh. Don't know D: I love the idea of hay, because of the fall but I'm not sure about a kraken in a haystack.
Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Personally I'd add something else halloween-ish there.
But thats my humble opinion.

Would love any critiques on this one:

They look about done to me, but I've been looking at them for a while. :)

I'd be flattered if they chose just the one!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Aug 22, 2014 12:10:19 AM]
[Aug 22, 2014 12:09:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

For sure I like the other three, but on this one I just.... meh. Don't know D: I love the idea of hay, because of the fall but I'm not sure about a kraken in a haystack.

Thanks for the critique!

Haha I know what you mean, I kindof get that feeling too. It's supposed to be an allusion to the way Kraken works, where you have to navigate your way around a maze of obstacles to get to the prizes.

Because I wasn't sure if the other Kraken idea would float as "scary" for the theme, I wanted to have a back-up plan. (It's a silly backup plan.)

I'm still going to enter it for kicks-and-giggles.

This theme for a corn maze doesn't make much sense either. ;)
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 22, 2014 6:38:23 AM]
[Aug 22, 2014 6:15:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Woah, if you can make that into a background I would fall in love with it.
Since you can see it from above it kinda shows a theme indeed , like a map.. :D

Thanks for the critique!

Haha I know what you mean, I kindof get that feeling too. It's supposed to be an allusion to the way Kraken works, where you have to navigate your way around a maze of obstacles to get to the prizes.

Because I wasn't sure if the other Kraken idea would float as "scary" for the theme, I wanted to have a back-up plan. (It's a silly backup plan.)

I'm still going to enter it for kicks-and-giggles.

This theme for a corn maze doesn't make much sense either. ;)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taskbeta at Aug 23, 2014 2:44:51 AM]
[Aug 23, 2014 2:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I don't think the corn part would show very well haha it'd just look like a green background with a design in it.

Plus, I was shying away from corn this year since I did a corn field background two years ago. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Aug 23, 2014 6:04:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

I don't think the corn part would show very well haha it'd just look like a green background with a design in it.

Plus, I was shying away from corn this year since I did a corn field background two years ago. :)

That is true... And you already have a few amazing backgrounds up at the moment :P

[Aug 23, 2014 6:19:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elfluffy

I've attached and arranged my submission for this contest.
This is a Large background submission: 1600 x 1170

The Title is "Who forgot to feed the monkey??"

The 1st image is the cropped background.
(As it will appear in game portraits)

The 2nd image is he cropped background with 4 pirates for scale.
(As it will appear in game portraits)

The 3rd image is the full background, without portrait crop.

The 4th image is the full background, without portrait crop, with 4 pirates for scale.

My forum name is Elfluffy, my in game name is Angelzsword.

This is my first time painting a picture in Photoshop.
Since monkeys are very basic looking, I had sought to make a background that would match the feel of the monkey. This is a light humor Halloween concept that takes a little cuteness.

Thank you for your time.
[Aug 31, 2014 10:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Angelzsword.
Could you make your backgrounds in the post smaller?
This is very annoying to read :P
Ofcourse when you upload it to YPP you can do it your full size but in this thread please make it like... half the size or smaller.

[Aug 31, 2014 11:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elfluffy

Hi Bisca, I completely understand.
I don't know how to, could you teach me?
Also how do we upload to YYP?

Thanks
[Sep 1, 2014 12:16:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Hi Bisca, I completely understand.
I don't know how to, could you teach me?
Also how do we upload to YYP?

Thanks

I use windows paint and then just, click *Change Size* and set the settings to 50%.
Save it with a slight different name and there ya go!
How to upload your image to the YPP so it counts as an entry is explained on the first page of this thread.

[Sep 1, 2014 10:09:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I shrunk it for you. When you post an image on the forum, try to keep the longest side 600px or less.

You can link to the larger version in a hyperlink.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it matches YPP style enough. It's a bit too flat.

For example, this money has more shading with more saturated colours (it looks like you used a black gradient here). Think of where the shadows would be cast from the lightsource, maybe like this?:

Green scribbles are shadows, orange scribbles are highlights.

I'm also not sure if it fits the Halloween theme enough. It looks a bit to bright and cheery and not enough spooky.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Sep 1, 2014 11:48:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elfluffy

Thanks for the advice. I'm not an expert at this so I will try to improve the shading. I've been busy all day fixing my car so I'll upload the smaller version and the shading when I have time (by Wednesday or so). I'm slow at this because I'm not used to painting in photoshop.
[Sep 1, 2014 12:53:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 124   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates