• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 712 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
gahris

NPP brigs ratings Reply to this Post

Ok, I think that NPP brigs should nver gain, or lose fighting ability. They should be at a constant skill value, many times i've lost to teals((notTHAt many)) and Ive owned orange brigs, please dop somehing
----------------------------------------
Worship your evil moogle master you insolent fools! ¬_¬
[Aug 26, 2003 9:24:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: NPP brigs ratings Reply to this Post

But if nearly everyone loses to a teal surely its colour should change to reflect that? And likewise if nearly everyone beats an orange? They fine-tune themselves to reflect their actual rating against players; which is more effective at showing their true difficulty than having it fixed at an arbitrary level. Note that many people complained about "cheating brigands" just after the latest release, when the colours reset to the programmed skill level, and hadn't yet been adjusted by battles.
[Aug 26, 2003 3:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arthas

The current rating system is a bit messed up, though. One too many times have we attacked greens, only to be slaughtered and find when the view returns to the sea, it has turned to red.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1707

The first couple of posts talk about this very problem, then it turns into Yohoho! Problem pirates.
Antioch/Vhailor-

Back with bigger guns.
[Aug 26, 2003 3:40:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    antiochkinstar@yahoo.com    devolution T [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

It may have to do with a tougher ship picking on smaller ships, risking the Black Ship but also dropping the defeated brigand down. Or just a long string of defeats bumping down it's ranking. It's similar to Sea Battle ranking in effect; it's really easy to go from Legendary to Able in a few defeats and almost as easy to jump almost as high with a few good wins.

Also, a rating system only works so far. It can't truely guess what people's or NPP's actual skill levels are, it can only estimate that X crew will -probably- win against Y crew most of the time. But it can't predict that it will always happen that way. Nor can it take into effect tactics and cannonball shots. Not to mention that until a brigand has been in a lot of fights, it's rating will probably be in tremendous flux as each battle swings it one way to another. Realistically, an accurate rating would mean that equally skilled crews will probably win half the time and lose half the time anyway (like in some other games where an 'even' rating means you'll definitely win unless you goof).
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Aug 26, 2003 5:16:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Let's not forget Reply to this Post

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I'll pipe up for those on my side: I like the uncertainty in power rankings! I think it adds an element of excitement to pillaging, in that you don't know for certain how tough a fight you'll have on your hands.

This is piracy, people! Blackbeard didn't sail up to a mark and ask how good they were at gunnery and swordplay. You close, you board, you fight as hard as you can, and you hope to win and take home some plunder.

To me -- that's perfect.

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Aug 26, 2003 10:21:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Their skill NEVER goes up or down. EVER. Their color rating depends on how often they've been beaten, compared to how often they've won. If YOUR sea battle rating is higher than YOUR actual skill, you will get trounced by seemingly lower-class brigands.
[Aug 26, 2003 10:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates