• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7344 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Stromae9

Ultimate Distilling questions Reply to this Post

I am currently around GM ranking in the puzzle, looking to improve. I get anywhere from CC10-CC12 in the puzzle on most days.. it's pretty tough. What do I need to aim for in every puzzle to get Legendary/Ultimate? I really want to push myself. I assume I need incredible everytime but sometimes even a CC12 can be an Excellent which is kinda rough (I just got an Excellent on a CC12 before posting this).

With constant practise I feel like I'm not really getting any better at the puzzle, it's strange. I think I'm missing something but I'm not sure what. I heard getting 9+ CC rows before starting is optimal but I do around 8 myself, it's incredibly hard to get those last rows in for me since I am quite naturally slow and there is a lot of time pressure.

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on how to get Ultimate in this puzzle, what I should be focusing on and what I need to aim for.
----------------------------------------
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Aug 12, 2014 5:40:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yassenn

Re: Ultimate Distilling questions Reply to this Post

To get ultimate you need to aim for CC12+ every single puzzle. An occasional CC11 won't ruin your chances, maybe 1 out of every 10 puzzles could be an 11, but you'd just hardly be holding ult with that.

Yes you need to get at least 8, preferably 9 CCs set up before you start sending them. Last time I paid attention I was averaging 7-8 non-white pieces left on the board when I sent my first CC up.

Practice is key to distilling, but if you feel like you're missing something here are a few ways you could figure it out:
- Post a video of yourself distilling. There are several expert distillers around who wouldn't mind nitpicking your mistakes.
- Search youtube for other distilling videos. There are many different ways to do the distilling puzzle. Watching other people might open your eyes to a new technique that you find easier than the ones you are currently using.
- Similar to the one above, look up some guides. If watching the videos isn't enough maybe a guide that points out specific techniques will fill in your hole.
- Hit up Dachimpy's Distilling Simulator . I generally recommend it when people are just starting to distill, but it could still be a useful tool.

Here are some links that come to mind:
Video of Me Distilling
Video of Fjandr (notice how his method is way different from mine)
My Old Distilling Tutorial (old and poorly recorded but still has some useful info)
My New Distilling Tutorial: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 (start at part 2, you're way beyond part 1)
Dachimpy Guides (were helpful at some point, I'm not sure they all work anymore)
Wiki Page There are several guides at the bottom of the page. Most are several years old but might still be useful.
Is it the weekend yet?
Yassenn of Hunter/Sage
Gunning Video
[Aug 12, 2014 9:27:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

Thanks for replying. I actually watched both you and Fjandr on YouTube and have to say you guys are really good. I don't quite understand Fjandr's method though or why he moves all the blacks to the top? Your style seems to be my preference.

I recorded a video of myself distilling, it's not very good and there were around 15-16 non-white pieces (double your average T_T) left behind. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ND8-0xkWQ
I'm hoping you have the time to nitpick (and any other experts who read the forums).

I did have a try with the distilling simulator before and it was too buggy for me, kept moving pieces randomly for some reason. I'll cycle through all your videos and see what I can pick up on.
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Aug 12, 2014 11:57:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yassenn

My first impression of the video is that its slow, not just in the movement but in deciding what to do as well. Which makes me want to ask, how long have you been distilling? You say practice isn't helping but maybe you just haven't practiced enough. Personally I played about 40 sessions of distilling a day over about a month to hit ultimate. Along with it being slow there are a lot of miss clicks. I miss click a lot as well so I guess yours are only hurting cause you're slower to fix them.

At the start of the puzzle your board gets very messy. Building even at the start isn't extremely important, but the further you get the more important it becomes. I like to keep my boards clean from the start with an even build, ends open, 1 black in the top left, 1 brown in the bottom right (pretty paint picture to show what I mean).

How you're approaching problematic pieces is not ideal. For example, at 2:38 you start working with pieces that are trapped behind spices. The first black is moved over correctly but instead of moving the next black, the one that is one spot under the spice, you grab a black from the very top. You could have used the brown to adjust the two remaining blacks into the same slot. However your actions create a huge problem, the three browns stuck at the top, and the two blacks become more difficult to deal with because the brown is needed to easily sort them out... which you figure out at 2:46.
I'd say the key idea from this is try not to abandon problematic pieces. You have the time to move them and moving them gives you more time.

To go along with that point often you tend to only move one piece at a time. Some examples at 2:05 all 3 of the blacks could have been moved out together, 2:23 the two browns could go together, 2:38 two blacks can go together, 2:56 you start moving them together then abandon one for an unknown reason.
The general feel of this whole section was panicked/rushed, half doing tasks and cutting things off because you feel like you're running out of time. You actually do have enough time to finish them though. Try to use the technique I call rows in my tutorial more often.

The end is pretty messy as well, If you were faster you could have gotten a CC13. I always feel bias about this part cause I only have one way of doing the end of the puzzle. For a good explanation of how I do it watch part 2 of my new tutorial at about 6:10. If you want an alternative method then I'm not gonna be any help.

Overall you're really not that bad. The biggest thing I think you're missing is speed. Whether practice will improve your speed or not is something that likely can't be helped. Perhaps a few small adjustments will smooth out your play and get you more consistent scores.
Is it the weekend yet?
Yassenn of Hunter/Sage
Gunning Video
[Aug 13, 2014 10:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

Thanks for the analysis. I have been distilling for around less than 2 weeks, haha. I suppose I wasn't "stuck" but just looking to improve in the right way and realise my mistakes, which I have now, thanks to you. My start is always messy but I always manage to crawl out of it somehow and get the pieces where I want.

Trying to make clever decisions while going extremely fast is not something I am used to, I prefer slower puzzles that allow me more time to figure things out so this is an obvious drawback for my Distilling performance. Especially towards the end I can *never* get the 9 rows needed. I almost always end up with something close to 8. I recently looked at your video on rows and I already see how useful it is! I'll master it and practise some more.

40 sessions a day is insane. I do around a maximum of 5. Otherwise I just get tired of the puzzle and annoyed at how bad I am. :P
I'll try catch you with an updated video someday soon when I feel I have improved significantly.
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Aug 14, 2014 10:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
7hranduil

Just to put my two cents in, if you're in the extra rounds (ie post CC^12) don't send up anything that isn't CC. I've got an Excellent CC^12 where I sent up a smooth as the 13th line, immediately followed by a CC^12 where I chose not to send up the 13th. I know spice can make a slight difference here, but I've got enough of a sample size of games I've played both ways to be pretty confident about it.

And yes, it seems like practice is just what you're missing. As far as I can tell most top end distillers have been at it for a long time. I know in my case, it took several months before I hit the unconscious competence stage where I only really have to think about what moves are needed when I get a weird spice combo. Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.
~Vorian
[Aug 14, 2014 5:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

I can't say I belong to the elite club of top distillers, (I'm currently Legendary), but when I was trying to improve my distilling techniques and speed (still am trying to improve on it), I could spend up to 3 - 4 hours just doing distilling puzzles non stop. Not entirely sure how many puzzles that translated into, but it was probably more than 20 sessions. That helped by making the moving of whites around the board more second nature and intuitive, i.e. you spend less time thinking of how to move them around, and see patterns easier and quicker.

Also, I recently purchased a gaming mouse and mousepad, which definitely improved the speed up by a notch. My table surface for my mouse was not ideal for accurancy or speed. So if you haven't got that setup already, maybe you want to consider getting a proper mousepad to help?

Currently I'm practising setting up my boards better to achieve a CC9 before I send up the first column, but am still struggling with it. How does one record a video of their puzzling? Or rather where can I get a video recording app? Cause I too would like to get someone to nitpick my technique.... :) .
~Saphireangel~

SO of Mischievous Drifters,
Lady of Maniacal Menagerie,
Cerulean, once a Cobalt native.
(also lurking on all English oceans)

Angelfish collector
Avatar gorgeousness by the lovely Angelira!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by angel2512 at Aug 15, 2014 2:23:25 AM]
[Aug 15, 2014 2:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

And yes, it seems like practice is just what you're missing. As far as I can tell most top end distillers have been at it for a long time. I know in my case, it took several months before I hit the unconscious competence stage where I only really have to think about what moves are needed when I get a weird spice combo. Just keep at it and you'll get there eventually.

Yeah I'm beginning to realise this puzzle is something I'll have to keep working at if I want to get better. It's unlike the other puzzles which are relatively easy to pick up but I'm so determined to get good at it, even if it takes months.

Also, I recently purchased a gaming mouse and mousepad, which definitely improved the speed up by a notch. My table surface for my mouse was not ideal for accurancy or speed. So if you haven't got that setup already, maybe you want to consider getting a proper mousepad to help?

Currently I'm practising setting up my boards better to achieve a CC9 before I send up the first column, but am still struggling with it. How does one record a video of their puzzling? Or rather where can I get a video recording app? Cause I too would like to get someone to nitpick my technique.... :) .

My mouse is an abomination, it's less than $5 and terrible in almost every game. Never used a mousepad either so I'll look into it. I'll take anything that'll help me get faster since it's super important in this puzzle apparently :(

I use HyperCam (on Windows) to record, you can download it here: http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/downloads.asp
To record, just click "Select Region", drag the box around your PP client and click record. It saves the file to your documents somewhere (check in Settings for the location) and then you can upload it to YouTube or whatever. Super simple.

Good luck with your distilling!
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Aug 15, 2014 10:10:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
7hranduil

Wasn't able to watch the video before my last post, just was going off your comments, but having seen it now, one thing stood out to me as probably the biggest thing that's slowing you down. There are numerous times you move multiple pieces to get a target piece somewhere, when all you needed was to move the target in a different path that was already available (e.g. 3:38-3:40 to move the white piece forward you used three clicks: white-black-white, when all that was needed was dragging the white counter clockwise starting with the down and to the left (sorry if that's a bit convoluted a description)).

Hope this helps give you something to focus your practice on!

~Vorian
~Vorian
[Aug 15, 2014 2:52:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Fjandr moves his blacks to the top of the board for the same reason Yass keeps her ends open - because in the vast majority of boards, you won't be able to just drag the blacks and browns nicely into place in straight lines. You have to rearrange things, and keeping blacks at the top allows you to easily pull browns up through the whites, then back down through the blacks and then pull those blacks back down to straighten out the lines. Yass leaves the ends open because she knows she's going to end up pulling more browns to the top end and if she didn't have a way to balance the line out, it'd be uneven and she'd end up sending up non-CC rows.

Fjandr sorts his pieces on the right completely which isn't strictly necessary - I tend to do a similar thing leaving several blacks at the top and several browns at the bottom, but I don't sort them completely unless the board is being nice to me and I have the time to do that. It's something you can think about doing when you're faster (Fjandr is speedy as hell) but I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just leave a few pieces, or do what Yass does with the open ends; whatever works better for you.

The best advice I could really give you is to keep practising. Once you can do CC12s, reaching ultimate is just a case of practising until you can do most of the puzzle through muscle memory; you should only have to really think when it comes to problem pieces.

One other problem I noticed from watching your video is you tend to move the easy pieces before the problem pieces; I'd really advise tackling the harder-to-move pieces first so when you're pressed for time you have easy click-and-drag pieces instead of convoluted move-this-here-then-here-then-swap-here type moves to perform under pressure. And never leave blacks on the bottom left or browns at the top left without a brown or black piece, respectively, to accompany them. Doing that means you're depending on certain pieces spawning and sometimes that's really going to screw you over. Never trust the RNG to be helpful.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Aug 16, 2014 3:19:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

There are numerous times you move multiple pieces to get a target piece somewhere, when all you needed was to move the target in a different path that was already available (e.g. 3:38-3:40 to move the white piece forward you used three clicks: white-black-white, when all that was needed was dragging the white counter clockwise starting with the down and to the left (sorry if that's a bit convoluted a description)).

I went back and I understand what you mean. I need to think more about my movements and decision making, some of them are a bit silly at the moment. Thank you for the advice. Great to have many opinions from expert distillers. :)

Fjandr moves his blacks to the top of the board for the same reason Yass keeps her ends open - because in the vast majority of boards, you won't be able to just drag the blacks and browns nicely into place in straight lines. You have to rearrange things, and keeping blacks at the top allows you to easily pull browns up through the whites, then back down through the blacks and then pull those blacks back down to straighten out the lines. Yass leaves the ends open because she knows she's going to end up pulling more browns to the top end and if she didn't have a way to balance the line out, it'd be uneven and she'd end up sending up non-CC rows.

I learnt how to straighten out my lines from SonnyZ's old old distilling tutorial (with his "racetrack" thing) looping the browns around the blacks at the bottom and vice versa. It's also in Dachimpy's videos and I found it super easy and useful to straighten out the lines when needed. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about T_T

One other problem I noticed from watching your video is you tend to move the easy pieces before the problem pieces; I'd really advise tackling the harder-to-move pieces first so when you're pressed for time you have easy click-and-drag pieces instead of convoluted move-this-here-then-here-then-swap-here type moves to perform under pressure. And never leave blacks on the bottom left or browns at the top left without a brown or black piece, respectively, to accompany them. Doing that means you're depending on certain pieces spawning and sometimes that's really going to screw you over. Never trust the RNG to be helpful.

This is something I've been working on a lot, choosing the hard pieces and saving the easier pieces for later when I need to get that extra row so I can end up with more whites before sending up my first CC. This has helped me improve the most I think.
So here's my new vid. Yes I got a CC15 (ty RNG). Still many mistakes I'm sure. Here it is if anyone wants to nitpick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTyqCWos0s&feature=youtu.be

@Yass I've been using your "rows" technique a lot more, not perfect yet but I'm working to get better at it!

Pro edit:
Your standing in Distilling went up and is now Legendary in the whole ocean!
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stromae9 at Aug 17, 2014 10:56:35 AM]
[Aug 17, 2014 10:04:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

I realise you know how to keep your columns straight, but I saw you ask why Fjandr sorted his pieces the way he did so I answered that question. :P

Two more things I neglected to mention:

Firstly, you still seem to be struggling during the late game, once you've started sending rows up. There were multiple occasional during that second video where you could have moved two or more whites to the right very easily, but it required you to do something different with the first piece and you ended up screwing up the other pieces so you had to wait for more spawns to move them. It's not much of a big deal most of the time, but when you're on the last column or two and you are pressed for time, it could prove crucial. In your first video, you ended the game with eight white pieces on the board when you needed eight pieces to complete an additional CC.

You need to be more efficient in the late game so you don't stop sending up columns before you run out of white pieces. My advice on how to do this would be to sort your blacks and browns to give you easy paths to simply drag white pieces into place. 4:00 in my video here for what I mean. I'm basically sorting all the browns to the bottom of the board and all the blacks to the top so when white pieces spawn, it's easy for me to drag them down through the browns and then up through the blacks, at any height, to get them exactly where I want them. That means I'm never scrambling to move pieces around and have plenty of time to sort out pieces with awkward spawns, or get that last column built if I'm lucky enough to get all the whites I need on the last spawn. There's ample time to sort like this in the late game so there's really no reason not to.

My second tip is, if you happen to possess a drawing tablet, learn to use that instead of a mouse. I find my gameplay is significantly smoother with a tablet, I make less mistakes, and overall I'm just faster. If you own one, it's definitely worth the adjustment period of learning how to use it.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Aug 17, 2014 8:31:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

Ahh right, my apologies, forgot I asked why Fjandr sent his blacks up to the top. It all makes sense now. I actually keep a few blacks at the top like you do (not going all the way like Fjandr).

The tablet is a nifty idea but I think I'll just go for a better mouse. I've realised my current mouse is horrible, tons of misclicks and it's rather hard to click with too (not responsive at all). Gonna go grab myself a gaming mouse someday soon.

It's safe to say I think I've improved enough though, since this just happened:

Your standing in Distilling went up and is now Ultimate in the whole ocean!
Ye have been awarded the Ultimate Distiller!
Ye have been awarded the Ultimate Crafter!

Thanks everyone for their help, appreciate it a lot. Good luck to anyone else trying to learn! It took me around a month or so.
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Aug 23, 2014 1:31:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Congratulations. :)
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Aug 25, 2014 6:53:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I want to know why my standing hovers at GM/Legendary. I used to be capable of Ultimate but I lost something. I feel I am missing something during the first phase, pulling whites leftwards.

Here are several examples of the board after I've completed the first phase, can you find the mistake? Unfortunately I can't video my puzzles... I use Linux.

and

Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 31, 2014 4:51:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

I want to know why my standing hovers at GM/Legendary. I used to be capable of Ultimate but I lost something. I feel I am missing something during the first phase, pulling whites leftwards.

Here are several examples of the board after I've completed the first phase, can you find the mistake? Unfortunately I can't video my puzzles... I use Linux.

Looking at your images, I can see that you have left lots of blacks at the bottom and/or browns at the top. You need to prioritise the problematic pieces and move them to the right before you focus on other moves. The midgame of the puzzle is all about dealing with those high browns and low blacks as fast as possible before they get stuck.

This is a really good video explaining various methods of dealing with the problematic pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMYncuUN4M
The two methods that are useful are "pairing" and "rows", the rows technique is my favourite, a way to move lots of low blacks with just one brown for example. If you master the rows technique then you can deal with any tricky spawns with relative ease. I know that many distillers keep a brown at the bottom (to move lots of low blacks) and a black at the top (to move lots of high browns), this is a good habit to get into and saves you time.

To move up from GM/Legendary you just need to get your initial setup to 9 rows (or close) before starting your chain. To get there takes practise, until you can move the low blacks/high browns easily over to the right without much effort. This way you'll start getting more increds and move up the rankings.
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Sep 1, 2014 1:10:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Oh yes, I quite understand the concept of getting those dealt with, but it was quite impossible to do it in the time allotted, given only one amber piece and the position of that spice on the right side.

Turns out I found a program that can capture Linux screencasts so I am uploading a few YouTube videos of my less-than-Ultimate performances so you can critique them better. Stay tuned.
[Sep 1, 2014 1:12:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Here's my first non-Ultimate video. As you can see, I was dealing fine with problem pieces in the midgame until the clump of spices and immovable blacks came up late. I can't see what could've been done about them in the time allotted.

Here is another CC^10. As you can see, the spices got in my way bigtime. I took a big risk with that last column having a spice all the way at the top blocking my movements, and I was lucky to pull out a 10 instead of a 9. Not sure how I could've gotten more.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Sep 1, 2014 1:45:41 PM]
[Sep 1, 2014 1:20:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

Here's my first non-Ultimate video. As you can see, I was dealing fine with problem pieces in the midgame until the clump of spices and immovable blacks came up late. I can't see what could've been done about them in the time allotted.

I can't really comment on the midgame because we have different distilling styles but the last part with the two spices could have been handled a *bit* better. This is the most obvious problem so I decided to make a picture and annotate my own thinking of how to deal with it: http://postimg.org/image/vi75gstb1/ (Hope you can excuse the poor quality, just annotated using paint)

It is split into three sections, explaining what I'd do to move all the pieces to the right. There might be a quicker way but those are the moves that came to my head first. All the moves involve moving multiple pieces with just one of another colour. Again I think you would do much better if you utilised the rows technique more to move multiple pieces, instead of dragging two pieces together at a time. There *is* enough time to do it, it just takes practise to get yourself fluent with moving multiple pieces at once in those tricky situations.

Edit: Typos
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stromae9 at Sep 1, 2014 2:03:23 PM]
[Sep 1, 2014 2:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

You deal with problem pieces well in the midgame because there's time and space for more pieces to spawn and help you out. You're struggling with the last few columns because you're not being vigilant about leaving blacks at the top left and browns at the bottom left.

Using examples from the first of the two videos you posted, at 3:13 you have two browns at the top right and you move the blacks to fix one of them. You leave the second brown at the top and there's no way you can fix that without a black spawning up there with it. Then, at 3:24, you have one brown piece at the bottom with four awkwardly placed blacks. You can, without too much hassle, move all four blacks below the spices and then use the brown to turn them into a train. Then use the brown to move them up far enough to drag them over to the right, where you had browns ready to be switched out and moved up.

Basically, what Stromae said. Be more vigilant about leaving security pieces at the top and bottom left. Don't ever depend on the RNG.

Edit: This isn't a tip for improvement, exactly, but you might like to know that, if you can't achieve a CC12+, you'll score higher if you abandon after sending your rows up than you will by building the eleventh row and sending it up later. This will result in no score logged in puzzling competitions, but for the purposes of raising/maintaining your stat it's fine.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by DementedDuck at Sep 12, 2014 11:28:45 PM]
[Sep 1, 2014 2:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yassenn

To reiterate what others have said. You're having trouble transitioning to a different style of play when there becomes fewer pieces to use on the board. At the start your method appears to be 'throw everything to the right and sort it out once it gets there.' This is a perfectly viable method until you run out of the 'helper pieces' on the right side, which happens when you have less than two columns of black/browns. At this point, to make up for the lack of help on the right, you need to do more adjusting on the left before dragging pieces over.

Oh yes, I quite understand the concept of getting those dealt with, but it was quite impossible to do it in the time allotted, given only one amber piece and the position of that spice on the right side.

This quote scares me. Fifteen blacks don't appear out of nowhere, they build up when you neglect to deal with them. If you had dealt with them as they spawned, 1-4 at a time, you wouldn't have a huge cluster of them stuck in the corner. Furthermore a single spice is never an excuse for a board to be ruined, you need at least two for a piece to get trapped. The whole second half of your sentence is evidence that you don't actually understand the concepts.

You already got a pretty picture for this but heres a video as well of how to get the blacks out from behind the spices. I used browns as placeholders since the sim doesn't have spices. The column of blacks spawned at 3:15 and 3:16 was where you went wrong, dragging away a brown that you needed to use. In the video I move everything over as if it were the last row. If I wanted to do more rows I would have left some browns around the spices to deal with future blacks in the same way.

A spawn like the one you got would really push a distiller to their limits, its a lot of pieces to move and not much time to do it. However, there is an abundance of blacks so the risk of sending up a half filled column is low. Looking at 3:41 I see 4 blacks in the middle of the board that I could quickly get above the spice and move over, plus the brown that I'm moving them with and a black at the top. That is 6 of the 7 slots I need to fill in. A brown from the top, moved down with the black would make it 7, though having enough time for that brown would depend on how many misclicks I make moving the other things. Since one burnt piece isn't the end of the world I would definitely be filling in at least one more column on that board, perhaps another depending on the spawn.

Using examples from the first of the two videos you posted, at 3:13 you have two browns at the top right and you move the blacks to fix one of them. You leave the second brown at the top and there's no way you can fix that without a black spawning up there with it. Then, at 3:24, you have one brown piece at the bottom with four awkwardly placed blacks. You can, without too much hassle, move all four blacks below the spices and then use the brown to turn them into a train. Then use the brown to move them up far enough to drag them over to the right, where you had browns ready to be switched out and moved up.

I threw together a quick video of this as well for the visual learners. This time I used blacks as spice placeholders.
Is it the weekend yet?
Yassenn of Hunter/Sage
Gunning Video
[Sep 1, 2014 11:34:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Ohhh, excellent advice mates, my eyes are slowly opening here. Thanks so much for your time.

It will take me a while to hone and perfect these techniques but I think this will eventually be a great help!
[Sep 2, 2014 11:31:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Kaien2

Fjandr sorts his pieces on the right completely which isn't strictly necessary - I tend to do a similar thing leaving several blacks at the top and several browns at the bottom, but I don't sort them completely unless the board is being nice to me and I have the time to do that. It's something you can think about doing when you're faster (Fjandr is speedy as hell) but I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just leave a few pieces, or do what Yass does with the open ends; whatever works better for you.

The best advice I could really give you is to keep practising. Once you can do CC12s, reaching ultimate is just a case of practising until you can do most of the puzzle through muscle memory; you should only have to really think when it comes to problem pieces.

This sums it up pretty much. +1
[Sep 10, 2014 11:09:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

Hey! So I've been practicing the puzzle quite a bit- like I should be at paragon if I put all my pirate's exp together. Yassenn's tutorial videos have helped A LOT!

My main is at expert/resp atm because i abandon boards quite often but my alt's at GM. I can pull CC9-11 and 12 from time to time.

I recorded 5 distilling sessions and uploaded 2. CC11 on the other 3.

Vid #1 I goofed my first pull D: It could have been a 12 :/

CC12 and no inc- why's that a thing? I dont think i have the speed(yet?) to have delayed that cc chain even though I had the pieces and same with the 13th CC I missed out on.

Apart from my speed, is there anything else I can improve on?
And would pulling a smooth on the 12th chain be better than pulling another CC?
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Feb 10, 2015 4:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates