• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1887 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Dooku9

Merger of the Oceans. Hear me out on this:

Oi, so mates, if ye haven't been on Cerulean in awhile it's terrible. There's not 1 poker table open during the day anymore and that pisses a lot of poker fans off. So how are we to get back to getting more people active? That's half the problem. The other half is getting more people online.

Merger, Ayh?

Read this: Merge the 2 oceans Emerald & Cerulean; getting more people online & more PoE Oppurtunities & by doing so, this may bring back some former players when hearing the news (like this new Kraken Hunt did somewhat).

What about the Payment methods?
Aha,

Simple: if ye don't want to pay fer a subscription, ye keep using doubloons. Each stall, shopee, etc. will have a fee fer doubloons if ye do not have a subscription. But if ye do have a Subscription, then ye don't have to pay the doubloon tax on every product.

But, this doesn't mean buying a subscription looses yer doubloons ye've had, no. When ye have yer said Subscription, ye can keep saving up yer doubloons on however method ye choose. SO even though yer subscribed and don't have to pay with doubloons, yer still allowed to keep yer doubloons whenever yer subscription expires or if ye want to sell them or what have ye.

That solves the problem with payment. This will also prove that pirates struggling getting money for both PoE and Doubloons, can just buy a subscription if they can buy a subscription.

So hopefully this method of another Merger can sit in the minds with OOO or whoever, and bring 2 oceans to more life. This is to save an ocean which will hopefully save the game. It's sad when there's not even 1 pilly going on on Cerulean or even a foarge when there's an ocean with 400+ pirates on a day. I hope I can see this one day and get this idea out to whomever may concern.

Savvy?
----------------------------------------
Blackbeard(d)
Captain of Blackbeard's Infamous
King of Davy Jones' Locker

"--he showed me his Junk and I swear my pants were on a second ago!"
Join my crew and I on our Grandest of All Pilly! Info can be found in the Cerulean events
[Aug 5, 2014 11:19:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Merger of the Oceans. Hear me out on this:

This will sadly enough destroy the economy. Sloops are 10-15k (I think, I don't play there) on Ceru while ~45k on emerald because of the doubloons. Also, for doublooners this will turn the optimal "I want to buy things from shops" thought process into "Mass order, dubscribe for 42 dubs, deliver all."

It's a nice idea, but it won't work.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at Aug 5, 2014 11:33:17 AM]
[Aug 5, 2014 11:31:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

I do not want to be merged with Emerald. I won't go into the politics behind the matter but there is a reason I and alot of people play Cerulean.

It seems the only reason you are giving for the merge is a lack of a poker game... If that's your only reasoning then you need to explore the game more. There are things beyond poker that do not require vasts numbers of people to be on.

I am on quite alot during the day and I manage to occupy myself.

A merge should not be done but the idea suggested about cross ocean parlour games should be investigated. This would solve your problem regarding the lack of poker tables.
Flower power<3

[Aug 5, 2014 11:42:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dooku9

The poker game was an example. Think about this: When was the last time you saw a SMH on a War Brig on Cerulean? When There were over 20 people in a tournament? Pillages that weren't all sloops? it more than just a poker game. And aye to Patgangster, the economy would be screwed up but that's why people negotiate. Emerald side or Cerulean side. Pick between a price of 13k-40k if ye wanted for a sloop.
Blackbeard(d)

Join my crew and I on our Grandest of All Pilly! Info can be found in the Cerulean events
[Aug 5, 2014 11:51:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

If anything, merge Meridian with Emerald, or merge all three oceans. It doesn't make any sense to merge the sub ocean with only one of the doubloon oceans. In either case, I still don't support it.

[edit] And that's if you completely skip over the fact there's no way merging a subscription ocean with a doubloon ocean would work.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by EmpressTamar at Aug 5, 2014 12:00:38 PM]
[Aug 5, 2014 11:59:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dooku9

cerulean nd merdian (however ye spell it) have the same islands last I checked
Blackbeard(d)

[Aug 5, 2014 12:01:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Emerald side Ocean or Cerulean side Ocean. Pick between a price of 13k-40k if ye wanted for a sloop.

FIXED! :D People do pick.

I am not for merging the oceans...any of them.

However "Global Tables" would be nice (esp if you are so worried about upsetting the poker players):

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=199330

Wagering would be an issue tho.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Aug 5, 2014 12:14:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dooku9

[edit] And that's if you completely skip over the fact there's no way merging a subscription ocean with a doubloon ocean would work.[/quote]

how would it not work? it seems like it could if done properly
Blackbeard(d)

[Aug 5, 2014 12:16:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Arrobyn

Right, very simple case against a sub/dub merger:

You are a sub user, and buy a sloop in a SY for 10k all in. You then go to the inn and sell for 40k. Rinse and repeat.

You are a dub user, you go to a SY and spend 10k and 20 dubs.

A sub user makes a huge profit very quickly, converts profit to dubs and gets basically a free coinscription for life.
Arrobyn of Meridian
Senior Officer of The Rum Rats & Queen of Rum Soaked Devils

Formerly Chrismor of Viridian

Once received cookies and coffee from Nemesis.
[Aug 5, 2014 12:24:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://robynrantsandraves.com [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Ice, which currently has a subscription/doubloon dual access, has many bugs that prevent doublooners from a few perks like creating their own crews.

Nay, this idea is sadly not a good one.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Aug 5, 2014 12:45:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Ice, which currently has a subscription/doubloon dual access, has many bugs that prevent doublooners from a few perks like creating their own crews.

Nay, this idea is sadly not a good one.

Not that Ice is an example to be used in this argument. Ice is a subscriber ocean, period. There are special hacks present in the auth server to flag particular accounts as subscribers. The special hacks in no way make it a hybrid sub/dub ocean, which would in fact be a real nightmare, and not just a toy like Ice is.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Aug 5, 2014 12:50:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

[edit] And that's if you completely skip over the fact there's no way merging a subscription ocean with a doubloon ocean would work.

Merging sub and dub oceans would be extremely messing and require a lot of coding. You have missed *many* problems that such a merge causes.

This has been discussed *MANY* times and I'm not interested in explaining all the problems yet another time. The most recent discussion of the problems is the An open letter to OOO thread in the cerulean parley. It is a long thread, but worth a read.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Aug 5, 2014 1:25:32 PM]
[Aug 5, 2014 12:54:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

In all honesty Cerulean hasn't worked with great success. For starters the ocean is far too big for the number of players.

The only way they could successfully do some sort of remedy would be to do a factory reset and have a totally new ocean. This would in turn open up new islands for the taking, unleashing all knew kinds of fun! I personally wouldn't mind this although, alot of players would have issues sacrificing their prized possessions.
Flower power<3

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fleurs at Aug 5, 2014 1:38:37 PM]
[Aug 5, 2014 1:01:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I have to admit I laughed that his example was poker.

The Kraken Hunt does seem to have brought players back. Me, for example. Content is what drives people, not mergers. We saw that when they did the last one. Were you here for that? Did you like the results?

Merging the oceans any further in the manner you've proposed is not workable due to the physical size. All those open islands and dormant shoppes and an even larger area for spawning special maps and etc etc etc. What you actually want is a merger of population without a merger of the actual oceans themselves, but the only way to do that will upset a lot of people - close one. I did fine without PP for over a year. I'm not addicted enough after all this time to move from the sub ocean to a dub one - I tried it for a while, and didn't like it at all. I also hate micropayments in apps. I'm a one and done kind of pirate.

Although I would probably wind up memming the combined thing. That's the only plus I can find here. ;)
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aethera21 at Aug 5, 2014 3:12:04 PM]
[Aug 5, 2014 3:11:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Please read the announcement thread for the rules of the Game Design forum.

There are many resources which may be helpful in finding existing discussions to continue:
  • The Anti-list of ideas disapproved by the Game Developers. Note that they're not totally ruled out but the Game Developers often had some fairly strong objections and any further discussion on such ideas should start by addressing these objections. Note that philosophical objections are pretty firm e.g. no personal firearms in Puzzle Pirates. By definition it means there is an existing discussion on the idea.
  • The List of ideas the Game Developers didn't react adversely to. As the game gets updated, some of the ideas may become obsolete or unnecessary. By definition it means there is existing discussion on the idea.
  • The thread Hermes started contains links to suggestion threads for furniture, clothing, pets, trinkets and trophies.
  • Commonly discussed ideas is a fairly comprehensive listing of previously proposed ideas. In general the Game Developers have not expressed approval nor disapproval of these ideas.
  • Search (in Game Design) to see if your idea has come up before. You may prefer to use Google or some other search engine that you're more comfortable with. You can ask for help with searching in this thread:
    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6605
    Generally you may expect a response within 24 hours, though questions with hard to find answers may take slightly longer.
If there's an existing discussion thread to reply to and it's older than a few months, be sure to call attention to the age of the thread. Including the word "bump" when adding new material will do.

A hybrid subscriber and doubloon ocean has been proposed.
[Aug 5, 2014 9:04:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates