• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10622 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
lala_baby

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Deadline: August 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

@Joon - I don't really have any critique for your background. Just wanted to say that I think it looks gorgeous :) I love how you included a Bird of Paradise plant, it's different, I like it ^_^. I haven't read the book at all but from seeing your background and explanation of it...I believe you did a great job at portraying the part of the book your background takes after. Great job as always :)
----------------------------------------
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." - Henry David Thoreau

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Aug 13, 2014 5:28:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Deadline: August 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

I feel like maybe the rocks in the stream (and maybe those beside the stream too) would be a little mossy or have algae growing on them from the dampness. Otherwise, I think this is a beautiful background.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Aug 13, 2014 5:55:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

this month and the hot weather has been making it difficult for me to sit and focus on anything(!), but I would still be grateful to hear some feedbacks on how I could have made this bg better even though the due date is right around the corner (maybe I can fix it quickly XD)!

Thank you!

Looks great! If you have the time and I might nitpick, though, I would suggest a few things in the middle area.

The waterfall, where it crashes into the floor, could have a bit more force in the collision. Otherwise it looks like it's slowly flowing blue lava or similar.

Similarly, the rocks look like they're floating above the water instead of being in it. Water would flow around the rocks, covering some of the edges of them (but maybe not with full opacity if you don't want), but right now it looks uninterrupted.

The last part really isn't needed, but the flatness of the transition between the reeds and the grass is a bit odd, and you could add more leaves to make it more flowing. Everything seems to be going in the diagonal direction of the river (the trees and flowers on the left sortof slope off like that, etc) except for that reed line.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 13, 2014 7:57:40 AM]
[Aug 13, 2014 7:54:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

@Joon - I don't really have any critique for your background. Just wanted to say that I think it looks gorgeous :) I love how you included a Bird of Paradise plant, it's different, I like it ^_^. I haven't read the book at all but from seeing your background and explanation of it...I believe you did a great job at portraying the part of the book your background takes after. Great job as always :)

Hello and thank you, Fray! I must give credit to my hearty for suggesting that particular plant in my bg this month XD, she had a great idea and I'm thankful she told me about it! ^^

I feel like maybe the rocks in the stream (and maybe those beside the stream too) would be a little mossy or have algae growing on them from the dampness. Otherwise, I think this is a beautiful background.

Thank you for the suggestion and for the kind words, Chocorose! That was a great idea and I hope I did alright putting that idea in effect! ><

Looks great! If you have the time and I might nitpick, though, I would suggest a few things in the middle area.

The waterfall, where it crashes into the floor, could have a bit more force in the collision. Otherwise it looks like it's slowly flowing blue lava or similar.

Similarly, the rocks look like they're floating above the water instead of being in it. Water would flow around the rocks, covering some of the edges of them (but maybe not with full opacity if you don't want), but right now it looks uninterrupted.

The last part really isn't needed, but the flatness of the transition between the reeds and the grass is a bit odd, and you could add more leaves to make it more flowing. Everything seems to be going in the diagonal direction of the river (the trees and flowers on the left sortof slope off like that, etc) except for that reed line.

Cattrin! I am always open to your nitpicking! ^^ I must apologize in advance because I do not know if I have done a decent job with putting in some of the suggestions you had.
I added a tiny splash (lol ><) to the waterfall (although, let's be honest, how cool does blue lava in the middle of a tropical island sound? XD haha) and tried to make the rocks look as if they're in the water rather than floating on top of it.
As for your third suggestion, I am sorry, I am really curious and would like to try putting it in effect, but I wasn't sure whether I fully understood it. I kind of doodled around using your wonderful sketch and I kind of ended up with a bush in front of each group of sugarcanes. XD The part circled in red below has leaves on the bottom, but I'm not sure that's what you were looking for either haha >< Time is very short now, so I don't mind at all if it is too much for you to explain more, I will do the best I can with the remaining time. Thank you so much always for your help! ^^

Edit: I noticed that I forgot to make the shadows layer visible for the rocks on this one, sorry, I will make sure to set that layer visible on the final!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Aug 14, 2014 3:57:25 AM]
[Aug 14, 2014 2:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I added a tiny splash (lol ><) to the waterfall (although, let's be honest, how cool does blue lava in the middle of a tropical island sound? XD haha) and tried to make the rocks look as if they're in the water rather than floating on top of it.

Those edits look great. :) Such a cute lil' splash.

Tried to flesh out my suggestions a bit more here. Sorry that I didn't explain very well the first time!

Since you made the rocks look more in the water, you might want to add a few more sharper shadows or highlights to show how the water is redirected around them. The soft ones you have are fine, but water tends to reflect really crisply.

[Couple] [examples] .

As for the reeds, I don't think I knew what I wanted to say either! Haha. Now I realize what I meant. I didn't really mean to add more leaves, but rather shade. Since the sun goes so strongly from top left to bottom right, doing a shadow on the reeds in the direction the rest of the portrait was heading (diagonal from the left corner) might be something to add.

Again, these are really nitpicky and you certainly don't need to do them if you don't think they look good.

The way I did the example doesn't really fit with the way you draw, style-wise, sorry about that. :x But it's more of a visualization than a guide anyways. Sortof a thing to look at for a minute, then go "nah, I don't need to do that" and submit your entry, haha.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Aug 14, 2014 6:41:41 AM]
[Aug 14, 2014 6:29:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Sortof a thing to look at for a minute, then go "nah, I don't need to do that" and submit your entry, haha.

More like a thing to look at for 10 minutes, then go "I should probably start working on my bg rather than keep staring at this masterpiece forever" XD.

Of course I'm going to try them all out! :D Unfortunately, since our drawing styles are a bit different like you mentioned, I couldn't make it as pretty as the one you did in the mock up >< but I did the best I could haha. It's not as clear and as crisp, but I do believe that taking your suggestion and working with it made it a better bg than it was before! I really appreciate the time you took to add in the example photos too, thank you Cattrin! ^^

I have been doing some more touch ups today (thankfully the weather hasn't been so hot), and I feel like I'm pretty much finished unless anyone would like to throw in a last second opinion for any changes that I should make (always welcome!) XD

Here is a list of the changes I've made:
~ Added more texture into the waterfall & river/stream/creek
~ Added sugarcane shadows across the grass area on the other side of the river
~ Added another sunlight ray behind the sugarcanes for more light source
~ Lightened up the top left corner of the sugarcane background area to make it more apparent that there's light to support the sugarcane shadows (hopefully haha ><)
~ Added some highlight to the reeds(?) beneath the sugarcanes
~ Stronger light on the rocks near the river where the sunlight hits
~ Bottom right plant (middle stem lengthened & edges slightly faded) transitioning into the grass a tiny bit more naturally (hopefully lol)
~ Added a little more shadow to the tree trunk and branches
~ Brightened the sugarcane foliage just a touch for better contrast with the dark background behind it

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything else, but anyways, here it is~

Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 14, 2014 4:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything else, but anyways, here it is~

That looks awesome. :) I'd say you're done.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Aug 15, 2014 7:44:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

That looks awesome. :) I'd say you're done.

Thanks a bunch, Cattrin!! I'm really grateful for all the help! It's really interesting and exciting to learn how to draw something new every month. (':
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 15, 2014 5:41:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Mr. Joondashbug,

Though I'm no arrrtist, I'd say it'd look even greater if it contained:

1.) Some texture to the grass, make it look more cushiony, like something you'd want to lay down and take a nap on.
Perhaps add some small, ground-covering flowers into it, adding color (purple, yellow, red and blue?) as well as a sort of softness?

Examples:
http://tinyurl.com/mejyr3k
http://tinyurl.com/lgp7uep
http://tinyurl.com/mu8ayob

2.) A fish's shadow to the stream to give it depth and perhaps a little bit of a bank too?

3.) A pair of parrots, such as eclectus, roosting in the branches.

Example of Eclectus parrots (male is green, female is blue and red) http://tinyurl.com/n87cgw8

Give it a little more life, show it to be more vibrant and flourishing.

And then the moment comes where I notice the deadline was 3 days ago... alas my leaping blindly has ended me in a puddle again -_-
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers
Prince of Slightly Pixilated

[Aug 18, 2014 2:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Mr. Joondashbug,

Though I'm no arrrtist, I'd say it'd look even greater if it contained:

1.) Some texture to the grass, make it look more cushiony, like something you'd want to lay down and take a nap on.
Perhaps add some small, ground-covering flowers into it, adding color (purple, yellow, red and blue?) as well as a sort of softness?

Examples:
http://tinyurl.com/mejyr3k
http://tinyurl.com/lgp7uep
http://tinyurl.com/mu8ayob

2.) A fish's shadow to the stream to give it depth and perhaps a little bit of a bank too?

3.) A pair of parrots, such as eclectus, roosting in the branches.

Example of Eclectus parrots (male is green, female is blue and red) http://tinyurl.com/n87cgw8

Give it a little more life, show it to be more vibrant and flourishing.

And then the moment comes where I notice the deadline was 3 days ago... alas my leaping blindly has ended me in a puddle again -_-

Hello Oldwater! How cool would it have been for me to try applying all those great suggestions! Now that I look at my entry, it does seem like it could have used some more color in there with all those shades of green. Thank you for pointing that out, I will keep that in mind. (:
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 18, 2014 4:32:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Sorry if it came off as judicious! It does look great as is, and while I'm defo not an artist, I do have an eye for colors and details, or at least I think I do. Also sorry for being late to give you feedback. I'm almost certain that all of the entries (I feel they all should anyways) will make it into the game.
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Aug 19, 2014 1:53:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Not at all! I always appreciate different eyes that can notice different ways to make an artwork look even better. (: I couldn't think of anything else to add with this bg, but because you noticed it, I feel that with your suggestions it would have been more vibrant and beautiful. I would definitely agree that you have an eye for colors and detail. (;
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 19, 2014 5:18:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Announcing the winners!

Dragonjayne's Poulp Attack

Greylady's Painting the Fence

Greylady's Swallowed Whole

Joondashbug's Sugarcane Paradise

Radway's Going After Blackbeard

Rechiva's Imprisoned

Rechiva's Patched Up

Rechiva's Stranded

The winners please send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" with the following information:
* confirmation of pirate name and ocean to receive the prizes
* choice of in-game clothing or furniture item (anything in any color purchasable from a shoppe that doesn't require a Design or Reputation)
* real name and full mailing address for real-life prizes
* or a second in-game clothing item if you don't wish to have the real-life prize
* choice of Greenbones egg or doll, Fishheadred egg or doll or Bluebeard egg or doll!

It's very likely that this edition will run again sometime in the future, so those who didn't win this time or those with unfinished work make sure to save the piece so you can submit then. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you all for participating!
[Aug 25, 2014 5:00:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Aahhhggg! >< Thank you very much to the judges and big congratulations to the other artists! Entries all look wonderful, I look forward to everyone's entries next month! ^^
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 25, 2014 5:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Woohoo!! Looks like we're all winners this month! Congrats to all of us, and thank ye Arrrtists! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Aug 25, 2014 6:54:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

Great >_< Now I need to go out and get like 10,000 new portraits. :P Gratz everyone and I must say, called it! xD
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Aug 26, 2014 9:30:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

This edition is now in game. Enjoy!
[Oct 7, 2014 9:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldwater1

"We're the big fish now! ~Old"

Elastic, Oldwater
Famous Last Words...
Commissioned by Oldwater at Oldwater's Estate on Admiral Island under the fine governance of Hitchhike.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014.

http://emerald.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/gallery/portrait.wm?&classic=true&itemid=66747432

It looks like a Sea Monkey...I know...
Oldwater the Emeraldian
SO of The Chat Boochers

[Oct 12, 2014 7:05:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/oldwater.luminin [Link]  Go to top 
Elfluffy

Oldwater impressive as always.
[Oct 12, 2014 10:11:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates