• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10614 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [In game!] Reply to this Post

It's portrait time again!

Click here for the winners

Theme:
This month's theme is Literature & Pirates: use scenes inspired by your favourite poem or book, preferably written before the 1900's and/or a book about that timeline. It can be fiction or non fiction. What about the Pirate part of the theme? Well, that's easy: the scene depicted must fit the game! (Of course you can use a pirate-themed book as well!)

As usual, be mindful not to use copyrighted work, make sure that it's public domain (see note here ). Try to draw inspiration from the books to come up with your own idea, instead of portraying the original artwork exactly.

Take yer pirates on a tour, dust those old, favourite books and let yer imagination fly!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest:
If the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

To resubmit an entry, go to the YPPedia page where your image is located (i.e. File:Monthly_yourname_title.png), click "Edit" and add the current contest's tag to the summary. Do not delete the previous tag. If you want to participate with a new version of a past entry, then you can upload the new version instead!
Please note: if YPPedia warns you that you're uploading a duplicated file, it means that the image itself has not changed and you should add the new tag to the previous version instead of uploading a duplicate - it's likely the duplicated file will get deleted! (If in doubt, post in this thread and we will be happy to help)

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case. You can add the underscores yourself or simply leave a space between words, in that case, the wiki will automatically add the underscores for you.
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

If you are uploading multiple versions of the same background , it's best to give each a different name instead of using 1, 2, 3 at the end to differentiate. For example, if I want to upload 2 different versions of Tangled Threads, instead of using Tangled Threads 1 and Tangled Threads 2, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png
monthly_clotho_threads_are_tangled.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "aug14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{aug14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{aug14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{aug14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.
* Please note that winners should contact about their prizes via petition instead of PM. Add "FAO:Clotho" to the title to make sure I receive it.

Deadline:
August 15th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Oct 8, 2014 7:36:47 PM]
[Jul 16, 2014 9:42:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Deadline: August 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

Ahoy everyone! This background is inspired by the fence painting scene in Tom Sawyer, published in 1876. Feedback and suggestions welcome as always!

Does anyone know if you can hold the paint brush in a portrait? That would be awesome! :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jul 19, 2014 11:54:48 AM]
[Jul 19, 2014 11:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Literature & Pirates Edition! [Deadline: August 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

I would suggest maybe making the edges of the white paint more defined. Unless you're using spray-paint, the paint strokes will be a lot sharper looking.

Another thing is that, I don't know if it's just me, but it looks like the leaves on your palm tree are reaching forward too much, indicated both by the shading and the overlap with the fence. I don't know why but it looks a little too forward, maybe because the trunk doesn't look so curved, but maybe it's just me.

Other than that, it's a cute idea and a great background!
Wayfarer of Meridian
Escapist artist
[Jul 19, 2014 7:44:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Here's a good photo of painting a fence:

I agree that the tree looks a little off- to me it looks like the leaves are too far down the trunk.

Another thing bothering me is the outline of the sand piles- some are black, others are darker sand coloured. I thought at first they were black when they were up against the fence, but this doesn't seem to always be the case:

Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jul 20, 2014 5:07:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thank ye both for the excellent feedback. I've fixed the dirt pile outlines, changed the paint and modified the tree trunk. Is this better? Anything else? Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jul 20, 2014 12:57:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Hello Graylady, good job on fixing it, it looks better now imo :P
but another thing i'd suggest is making the wood -the fence- look less sharp.

Also, another thing i've notices is shadows, they paint bucket's shadow is going in a wrong direction.

everything else looks good imo :)
[Jul 20, 2014 3:06:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Love what you've done with the paint, and the dirt pile outlines are better now too. The tree still looks a little off to me, but I'm not sure why... sorry to be so vague.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jul 20, 2014 3:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

Hey everyone,
knowing myself i don't really know alot about any kind of literature that talks about pirates, so i thought history could be a good resource and inspiration for my art work.

in this one i have two faces painted, the one on the right is meant to be Blackbeard, and the one on the left is lieutenant (later captain) Robert Maynard, the one who tracked down Blackbeard and killed him (not he himself, but a man under his command).

I hope you like it ^^ and any suggestions/criticisms are welcome :)

by the way, the work still not 100% done.

[Jul 20, 2014 4:11:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

but another thing i'd suggest is making the wood -the fence- look less sharp.

Also, another thing i've notices is shadows, they paint bucket's shadow is going in a wrong direction.

I softened the wood grain and changed the outline from black to brown on the fence. I also changed the shadow direction. Better?

The tree still looks a little off to me, but I'm not sure why... sorry to be so vague.

Hmm...maybe it's the extra-big leaf to the left/above the ones that hang over the fence? Make it smaller maybe? I dunno....

Edit: Changed the big leaf - made it skinnier. I think it helped. Comments?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jul 20, 2014 6:44:21 PM]
[Jul 20, 2014 4:58:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Yes! That helped! Did you re-do the outlines in the trunk too? Because that looks better as well.

I like that a LOT now. Great job!
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Jul 21, 2014 6:59:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yaruii

I am thinking of doing a Robinson Crusoe one.

But I have no if this has been done before. Otherwise I will search for something els :o
[Jul 21, 2014 12:53:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

But I have no if this has been done before. Otherwise I will search for something els :o

First of all, I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not someone has tackled this subject before. Each artist's vision is different, so yours will undoubtedly be unique. However, if it really bothers you, you can check prior winning entries here.

[Jul 21, 2014 1:48:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yaruii

First of all, I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not someone has tackled this subject before. Each artist's vision is different, so yours will undoubtedly be unique. However, if it really bothers you, you can check prior winning entries here.

This is indeed true. I'll just start working on it then! :p
[Jul 21, 2014 2:55:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Just wanted to compliment on the cool entries so far! ^^ Greylady, that is a great idea and looks awesome!! And I agree that changing the palm tree leaf made it look even better! At first, my eyes darted directly to the sharp edges of the paint towards the center (might have been done intentionally? If so, I do apologize!) D: And another apology for being super picky! ><

Red box outlines the sharp paint edges and green outlines smooth.

but in the end... it doesn't really seem to matter because once the pirate is added and the portrait is shrunk to pirate page size, everything looks fine! :D So changing that is definitely optional and not necessary, but just wanted to point out what I saw from the full sized bg, which is looking great! ^^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a cool idea, Radway, and I already told you this, but that ship!! ^^ One suggestion I might throw is to make the (awesome) ship a tiny bit more visible. I know it's foggy and dark, but with the pirate standing and especially if they're holding an item (like the sample cutout), the lights from the windows are covered and now it is very hard to see the ship in the dark at pirate page size. >< Maybe adding more faint flashes from the thunder around other parts of the sky could help the ship stand out more because right now the top part of the ship (flag) is more visible, which is nice!

Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Jul 23, 2014 3:40:11 AM]
[Jul 23, 2014 2:13:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Radway

One suggestion I might throw is to make the (awesome) ship a tiny bit more visible. I know it's foggy and dark, but with the pirate standing and especially if they're holding an item (like the sample cutout), the lights from the windows are covered and now it is very hard to see the ship in the dark at pirate page size. >< Maybe adding more faint flashes from the thunder around other parts of the sky could help the ship stand out more because right now the top part of the ship (flag) is more visible, which is nice!

I've been working on that, here's the final result :

Also tried it with another pirate with different items and stuff..

I hope that's better ^^
[Jul 24, 2014 11:44:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

I've been working on that, here's the final result :

Woww!! I love what you did with the water, nice job!!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Jul 24, 2014 12:28:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's another one I'm working on. I still need to add some clouds to the sky, but otherwise any feedback? Oh, in case you can't tell, it's based on Moby Dick.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Jul 24, 2014 1:58:41 PM]
[Jul 24, 2014 1:20:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

His eye is weird.... :P And the 3 dots look like he's crying... xD
But maybe that's just me. This is kinda how I'd see Moby Dick I guess...

Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Jul 25, 2014 12:44:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

hi everyone ^.^

ive been working on a background...
based on Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

attack of the poulp/cephalopod/ whatever it is they actually are!
probably squid :3

two versions, one with white and black eyes, the other with just black.

critique and feedback would be greatly appreciated :D
Dragonjayne of Emerald
[Jul 30, 2014 6:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Love the idea Ms. Jayne! Personally, I prefer the black eyes rather than the black/white version.

The only thing that bothers me just a bit is the boards. In YPP wall boards tend to go horizontal rather than vertical, so this makes me think of those tourist boats with the glass bottom - more of a floor than a wall. Just my thoughts, feel free to ignore! :)

BTW, is this a two-person? Can we see it with pirate cutout?

[Jul 30, 2014 9:33:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

@ jayne I agree the black eyes are better :) Personally I don't mind the orientation of the boards :)
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Jul 30, 2014 10:58:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonjayne

here it is with the mask on:

i think i still need to tweak the shape of the larger eye...
Dragonjayne of Emerald
[Jul 31, 2014 6:26:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

That looks fantastic, Jayne, nice work!! ^^

UPDATE: Sad news, my computer broke down and would not turn on, so I may (or may not if I can still get it fixed) have lost all my files on that pc, including the new portrait bg I was working on for this month. >< I use an older pc at the moment and unfortunately cannot do too much on it. I look forward to seeing all the entries, they're all looking wonderful so far! ^^

UPDATE 2: I got my computer fixed (woohoo! ^^) so I will try to keep working on it!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Aug 6, 2014 12:57:49 PM]
[Aug 1, 2014 1:19:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Joon - glad you're back in business! Looking forward to your entry! :)

Okay, so I tried another approach to the Great White Whale - hopefully scarier than the first. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Hmmm...I always see stuff as soon as I go to post. ><
Maybe I need to change the sky color, perhaps to sunset colors, so you can tell where the whale ends and the sky starts, lol. I may give that a go.

I think this looks way better. Comments?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Aug 9, 2014 1:29:03 PM]
[Aug 9, 2014 1:18:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kxz4

Okay, so I tried another approach to the Great White Whale - hopefully scarier than the first. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Hmmm...I always see stuff as soon as I go to post. ><
Maybe I need to change the sky color, perhaps to sunset colors, so you can tell where the whale ends and the sky starts, lol. I may give that a go.

I definitely think this view of Moby Dick is better than the last. #2 does look good.

1. I, personally, think that it should be stormy instead of clear.

2. Maybe more water in the dingy?

3. Make the inside of the mouth look more slimy and

4. Make the teeth look more pointy and jagged? Kinda like you did in the bottom of the mouth.

Overall, Very well done. I look forward to seeing more :)
Kxz on the Hunter Emerald Ocean,
Senior officer of the crew Honour Bound
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Aug 9, 2014 2:28:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Thank you, Greylady! I am trying to catch up as quickly as possible XD haha, but wow! That is an awesome idea and I also am wondering how it would look if there was a bit of a disturbance in the weather, nice work!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Aug 9, 2014 8:43:11 PM]
[Aug 9, 2014 8:42:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the suggestions! I've added storm clouds and modified the texture of the mouth and gums. Also added grain to the boat. I only added a little water to the boat because the bottom of the boat is covered up when the pirates are in the picture. Is this better?

[Aug 9, 2014 9:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kxz4

Thanks for the suggestions! I've added storm clouds and modified the texture of the mouth and gums. Also added grain to the boat. I only added a little water to the boat because the bottom of the boat is covered up when the pirates are in the picture. Is this better?

Much better!

I can't think of anything else atm.
Kxz on the Hunter Emerald Ocean,
Senior officer of the crew Honour Bound
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Aug 10, 2014 6:54:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Reminder to everyone:

It's ok to use reference art for your work, but if it's based substantially on said reference, then please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
[Aug 10, 2014 9:35:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

@Greylady I must agree with Kxz I do like it better with the stormy clouds, nice addition! ^^

My entry is inspired from the book titled The Swiss Robinson Family. I remember reading this book quite a long time ago and so I had to reread it to get ideas for this month's LE portraits. ^^ This scene is taken from chapter 3 where the father and his eldest son goes to explore the tropical island (that their family has inhabited after experiencing a shipwreck in the beginning) and stumbles upon sugarcanes. They also rest under a shade near a stream of water before continuing their exploration.

I'm a bit saddened that I couldn't spend more time on this since my computer has been going through some issues (BSOD yesterday while I was working on it, bahaha T.T) this month and the hot weather has been making it difficult for me to sit and focus on anything(!), but I would still be grateful to hear some feedbacks on how I could have made this bg better even though the due date is right around the corner (maybe I can fix it quickly XD)!

Thank you!

Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Aug 13, 2014 2:54:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates