• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1890 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Tyr

Bug: BSOD? Reply to this Post

This occurs every time I try to board any vessel, including private and training ships. My crewmates have confirmed that I have indeed boarded the ship, and my cursor reacts as if I were onboard, but my screen remains totally blue, as shown in the screenshot above. I submitted a bug report, but thought that I might find some more help here. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game with no luck. Puzzle Pirates had worked perfectly for me prior to the last update -- this seems to have occured only after I updated my client. Also, I'm using WinXP Home. Any advice would be welcome.

[edit] Picture rehosted.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tyr at Aug 26, 2003 5:51:48 AM]
[Aug 26, 2003 5:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

Re: Bug: BSOD? Reply to this Post

I have this same problem whenever I transition locations, but I've had it ever since I began playing Puzzle Pirates. Wait it out; eventually you should get graphics. Sometimes I find that it helps to try to walk around; perhaps it helps for it to screen-refresh, or maybe it's just getting into a less crowded area where it's not having difficulties drawing the screen for update.

It seems to be a processing power issue -- I have a 400 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM on a DSL connection, and Puzzle Pirates is easily playable on it, save for the blue screens and the noticeable lag in drawing updates when there are lots of players on the screen. I occasionally play from an 800 MHz machine, which is nice and zippy -- it wasn't 'til then that I realized how slowly I walk around (with the faster machine, the little map sometimes goes to "Loading", which I never ever see on my slower machine). Slow doesn't seem to be a big disadvantage in PP, except possibly in swordfights -- even holding down the space bar, pieces drop noticeably slower on my slower machine, a definite disadvantage in a fight.

I'd suggest that you try to keep as few other applications running as possible when you play Puzzle Pirates. If your machine is fast, has plenty of RAM, and you're on a broadband connection, though, your problem is likely different from mine.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Aug 26, 2003 7:23:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Indeed, this is an issue of processing. We have optimized the code to get you the art as fast as possible, but still, on slower machines, this can take a while. The usual processor-sparing precautions (as mentioned helpfully by Amberyl) should help you. The other big processor-related issue I find is the tray. Many people don't keep their tray very clear (or even know that they should or that it exists) and a heavy tray is a surefire way to hinder your processing power.

-Nemo
[Aug 26, 2003 7:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

I've discovered that part of the issue is not just processing -- it's that Puzzle Pirates's client must make some assumptions about screen updates. If your machine is too slow to draw one when it gets one, it doesn't try to redraw 'til the next one, or something like that.

I've discovered that if my screen remains blue, that I can get the graphics just by clicking on Ye and pulling up my profile. When I close the information display, the graphics appear immediately.

Moreover, if I just sit, don't move or anything, the graphics never appear, if there's no other event (like I've just entered an empty ship, and nobody else gets aboard) -- it seems like it needs a screen update event.

This probably does actually make the bluescreen issue a bug.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Aug 28, 2003 9:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Amberyl wrote: 
This probably does actually make the bluescreen issue a bug.

That certainly would.

edit: made the quote work
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemo at Aug 28, 2003 11:28:09 AM]
[Aug 28, 2003 11:28:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Also, if you use Win2k/WinXP you could read a nice service tweaking guide, and make sure your computer is free of SpyWare (google for "SpyBot" to get a program to remove Spyware). I've got my on-boot memory usage in XP down to about 113MB, which I say is pretty good.
[Aug 28, 2003 11:41:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

arr, just be givin this topic a *bump* because I be sufferin under the same conditions. 900Mhz 128Mb RAM Win2K Pro.

I have a sucky on-board graphics chip in my laptop. Would the quality of video card have anything to do with the speed of screen refreshes?

Thanks for the tip of going to the Ye! info page. I'll try that. What usually triggers a screen refresh for me is moving to a new location onscreen. I get the yellow circle, but must hunt and peck for a location in the blue screen where i can actually move.
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Sep 17, 2003 11:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Poseidon
OceanMaster

Stinktoe I have pretty much the same specs as you but more ram on my laptop and I have very very few problems, it's infact alot faster than most other machines I've tried playing Y!PP on.

Something you might seriously want to consider is getting more ram.
A laptop needs to load alot more drivers and tools for the laptop specific hardware such as dockingstations, cardbus/pcmcia, mediabays etc. Consider if you need all of them since they all take up memory and processing power. Similarly with every application you run next to Y!PP will drain the little memory you have.
Also harddrives are considerably slower in laptops (unless you have a really really new drive) and Y!PP is pretty harddrive intensive. So keep your harddrive defragmented.

Graphics card shouldn't be an issue in that laptop.
[Sep 18, 2003 1:19:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

ME: I'd like more RAM in me laptop, please
BOSS: Why?
ME: Because this game I'm addicted to is totally booched without it.

I'd be takin a long walk off a short plank after that conversation.
Suppose I'll have to pony up the loot for me own stick o' RAM.

Thanks, Poseidon. I cleared out my systray and ran Task Manager so I could keep an eye on CPU usage. Runs pretty much between 60-80% but never pegs out for very long.
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Sep 18, 2003 3:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Poseidon
OceanMaster

I realize the "upgrade your machine" helps are kinda nasty, in this case however an extra 128mb will cost ye around $20 most likely. And hence not really all that much and definitely an excellent investment whether it's to play Y!PP or not.
www.pricewatch.com can give you some cheap prices.
[Sep 18, 2003 3:37:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BigW

I get this problem from time to time and find the best way to fix it is completely close the program and reload it. I have a pretty nice machine (3Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 2GB PC3200, Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB) so I do not know how much weight I give that arguement.
BigW, Captain of The Unmanageables
Explore Ruby - How many vacation days do you have left?
[Sep 18, 2003 4:50:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates