• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 54
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11933 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - It came from the Hold Edition! [Announcing the winners!] Reply to this Post

It's portrait time again!

Winners!

Theme: It came from the HOLD!
Pillaging and plundering be the trademarks of a self-respecting pirate... and all those treasures go directly to the hold! Have you ever wondered what they really look like? Have you ever wondered what might be in them? Could be jewels, or rum, or coins, or perhaps... something ELSE? Close your eyes, let your imagination fly and show us what you found in the holds of pirate ships!
Go forth and wield yer brushes!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest:
If the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

To resubmit an entry, go to the YPPedia page where your image is located (i.e. File:Monthly_yourname_title.png), click "Edit" and add the current contest's tag to the summary. Do not delete the previous tag. If you want to participate with a new version of a past entry, then you can upload the new version instead!
Please note: if YPPedia warns you that you're uploading a duplicated file, it means that the image itself has not changed and you should add the new tag to the previous version instead of uploading a duplicate - it's likely the duplicated file will get deleted! (If in doubt, post in this thread and we will be happy to help)

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case. You can add the underscores yourself or simply leave a space between words, in that case, the wiki will automatically add the underscores for you.
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

If you are uploading multiple versions of the same background , it's best to give each a different name instead of using 1, 2, 3 at the end to differentiate. For example, if I want to upload 2 different versions of Tangled Threads, instead of using Tangled Threads 1 and Tangled Threads 2, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png
monthly_clotho_threads_are_tangled.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "jun14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{jun14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{jun14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{jun14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.
* Please note that winners should contact about their prizes via petition instead of PM. Add "FAO:Clotho" to the title to make sure I receive it.

Deadline:
June 15th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Jun 23, 2014 7:53:20 PM]
[May 16, 2014 10:36:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - It came from the Hold Edition! [Deadline: June 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.

Would something like a reference to [this scene] be too close? Nothing is monkey-island specific in it, save Guybrush and the painting.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[May 16, 2014 12:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - It came from the Hold Edition! [Deadline: June 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

This sounds like a fun one ^_^ I wonder what types of treasures My pirate keeps in her hold...probably fluffy bunnies >.<
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[May 16, 2014 3:30:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

@Cattrin
I can't make those calls on a case to case basis - the ultimate say belongs to the arrrtists, but if it's too close to some copyrighted material, odds are it won't be selected. My suggestion would be: if in doubt, it's best to imagine something else that's all yours!
[May 16, 2014 3:35:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I don't know about other pirates, but I'd sure hate to find these fellows in MY ship's hold! I think I need something near the top of the image, just not sure what. Suggestions? Also, I know it's not really the hold, just "below decks", but hope it counts. I may change up the background and make it more hold-ish. In the meantime, any feedback on this one?

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[May 29, 2014 5:17:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

In the meantime, any feedback on this one?

Looks good! I'd put the rat and rope coil up front on the left side of the pirate rather than the right. That way, if I pirate wants to be extra ratty and have their own pet rat in the portrait, that one won't get covered up.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[May 30, 2014 1:09:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

I don't know about other pirates, but I'd sure hate to find these fellows in MY ship's hold! I think I need something near the top of the image, just not sure what. Suggestions?

Why not like a chinesey light or lantern type thing?
Flower power<3

[May 30, 2014 1:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

In the meantime, any feedback on this one?

Looks good! I'd put the rat and rope coil up front on the left side of the pirate rather than the right. That way, if I pirate wants to be extra ratty and have their own pet rat in the portrait, that one won't get covered up.

rats are located on the left side of portraits :) I know this was one thing I thought of when I created the cheese day background :) Love the idea! And I think, loosely, that "below deck" could be considered part of the hold?

[May 30, 2014 2:22:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

And I think, loosely, that "below deck" could be considered part of the hold?

Indeed. Please do note the wording of the edition "it came from the hold" - this means that you can portray anything that you may think came from the hold of a ship, not just the hold itself. Of course, that does include the hold itself and whatever it may contain... even if it's a scary thing!
[May 30, 2014 2:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

And I think, loosely, that "below deck" could be considered part of the hold?

Indeed. Please do note the wording of the edition "it came from the hold" - this means that you can portray anything that you may think came from the hold of a ship, not just the hold itself. Of course, that does include the hold itself and whatever it may contain... even if it's a scary thing!

My first thought when I read the title, this image came to mind...
kraken tentacles coming out of the hold o.O That'll teach us for smuggling all those GIANT eggs!!!

[May 30, 2014 3:18:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

kraken tentacles coming out of the hold o.O That'll teach us for smuggling all those GIANT eggs!!!

Lol, I happen to be working on a kraken-in-the-hold one currently! Probably have something to upload tonight or tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[May 30, 2014 4:19:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Hello folks! I came back to try drawing again and, well, I'm in deep trouble... haha, so I will need your guys' expert advice and tips. Right now, it's a total mess in progress xD (sorry), very busy especially when the pirate is set in the background. :S I'm thinking it could be because of the small gems in the back piles or that one emerald/jewel in the middle pile towards the left side of it... it could also be because I haven't added texture to the gold piles yet or shadows to the objects that are on the gold pile (thus looking like floating clip art pasted onto it right now)... or it could just be that I have put too many things on there! *facepalm* It's not exactly a very creative idea for a background, so I apologize for that.. just treasure dumped in a dim room I guess haha... it might also be a bit too dark? Here are the pics without and with the pirate...

Without Pirate:

With Pirate:

I'm also partially thinking that maybe I should make the floor come up a little to show more of the wooden floor/surface and lessen the amount of yellow/gold on the background...

The objects will get their shines in the end, such as the jewels and perhaps a tad bit lighter for the chest so that it's more noticeable.. idk I'm babbling on and on and on xD sorry, I'd much appreciate anyone's feedback and advice, thanks!!

**Oh I'm also planning on adding some gold coins here and there, so hopefully it won't make it even more busy and messy! ><'

@Greylady that is fantastic! I would not like to see so many rats in my ship's hold either haha. I really like your art style :D
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at May 30, 2014 8:58:56 PM]
[May 30, 2014 8:51:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Greylady that is fantastic! I would not like to see so many rats in my ship's hold either haha. I really like your art style :D

Thanks mate and welcome!

I like what you've done so far, however, a couple of things bother me a bit. First, I would make the chest quite a bit larger as it is more in the foreground. I would also make the skull sword quite a bit smaller and/or thinner as it seems too big compared to where it is in relation to the pirate. Also, perhaps make the handle a bit thinner. Seems like the pirate would have to have awful big hands to hold that sword. :)

Maybe partially bury some of the jewels/crowns/etc. in the gold so they appear to be more a part of the pile rather than laying atop them? Also, it currently looks a bit like piles of gold dust. Perhaps add doubloons or nugget shapes to define the piles a bit more?

I don't think that it is too dark at all. You do have lanterns after all! You could raise the floor just a bit, although it doesn't really bother me either way.

Anyway, please feel free to ignore anything that I've said. Just trying to help. :)

[May 31, 2014 7:46:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Thanks mate and welcome!

I like what you've done so far, however, a couple of things bother me a bit. First, I would make the chest quite a bit larger as it is more in the foreground. I would also make the skull sword quite a bit smaller and/or thinner as it seems too big compared to where it is in relation to the pirate. Also, perhaps make the handle a bit thinner. Seems like the pirate would have to have awful big hands to hold that sword. :)

Maybe partially bury some of the jewels/crowns/etc. in the gold so they appear to be more a part of the pile rather than laying atop them? Also, it currently looks a bit like piles of gold dust. Perhaps add doubloons or nugget shapes to define the piles a bit more?

I don't think that it is too dark at all. You do have lanterns after all! You could raise the floor just a bit, although it doesn't really bother me either way.

Anyway, please feel free to ignore anything that I've said. Just trying to help. :)

Thanks Greylady! I was thinking something looked quite unbalanced haha! I will try to work on that as much as I can before the due date! :D Gah can't believe only 14 days left already ><' will it be enough time for me? I guess we'll see... xD
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Jun 1, 2014 12:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here's what I've been working on. Do you know how some guys just seem to get tons and tons of Kraken's Blood? Ever wonder why?? Maybe they have a captive baby Kraken captive in their hold!

I'd love to hear your comments/feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

[Jun 1, 2014 2:05:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I'd love to hear your comments/feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

-
Great idea! But I think the kraken needs to be YPP-ified a bit.

The more fishy pets have big black eyes (as do the sea monsters if you look close enough).

Also, the bars on the cage looked to me at first like they just went straight across the wall instead of being on the sides of the cage. Maybe it's the lack of shading? Or that they're all the same size?
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jun 1, 2014 3:52:48 PM]
[Jun 1, 2014 3:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks for the feedback Cattrin!

I modified the bars on the cage, added shadows, and changed the eye color. Better??

BTW, since I wasn't able to find a full pic of the coming Krakin, I used this partial pic as a reference. As you can see, the bottom right one has black eyes (or are they just closed??), the top right one has colored eyes. But I do think the black ones look better, even though the colored ones were more fun! :)

Perhaps I should enter both versions?

[Jun 1, 2014 9:37:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Ooh, I like that idea and those kbs in the back! :D Well done, Greylady!

I am still struggling along slowly, but here are some updates... and it might be worse because of the coins lol! *facepalm* I just cannot seem to do this! XD

Mm... it's not how I imagined it to begin with, but it did end up as gold dust rather than tons of coins :/ I hope that's alright...

Here's a list of what I've changed...

- Skull Dagger resized to be smaller.
- Treasure chest enlarged.
- Some gems and crowns rearranged.
- Texture added to gold piles.
- Pulled the wooden floor up to show more when the pirate is added.
- More shadows added.
- Lanterns got a little brighter.
- Ceiling planks have been fixed to get smaller as you look farther into the back (to match the size of the smallest lantern more).
- Gems have been given their shine and sparkle.
- Some gems have been slightly buried into the gold pile.
- Coins have been added... very randomly and unappealingly (to me at least XD)

The changes seem unnoticeable, but they take a long time to do and a lot of work especially since I'm not used to doing art on the computer (or even off the computer as a matter of fact). XD

The issue for me (personally) is the coins, but if you guys think it looks good, I'll leave it there. To me it just looks like the piles of gold developed warts or something lol. I may go back and redo all of that @_@. Aside from that, I hope everything else mostly looks alright... if you guys see anything that needs to be changed, I'd so very much appreciate it!! :D

***Maybe I need to add more coins?! XD And get rid of the smaller coins on the front two piles? Hm... all this experimenting is making my brain go @_@ haha, but I hope it'll turn out okay in the end...
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Jun 2, 2014 5:35:55 AM]
[Jun 2, 2014 5:22:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

I modified the bars on the cage, added shadows, and changed the eye color. Better??

Looks much better!

I think maybe one more thing to try would be to accent the lil' (BIG) guy some more? He looks flat next to some of the other shading/highlights. In particular it'd be really cool to add a shadow under his mantle. All his organs are in there and it's probably quite heavy!

One thing you also might want to look into while you're doing that is the multiple lights sources you have.

I think the one on the left is close enough to the one on the center to work, but it looks like you flipped the one tentacle to use on the other side, but kept the shading.

------------

The issue for me (personally) is the coins, but if you guys think it looks good, I'll leave it there. To me it just looks like the piles of gold developed warts or something lol. I may go back and redo all of that @_@. Aside from that, I hope everything else mostly looks alright... if you guys see anything that needs to be changed, I'd so very much appreciate it!! :D

I think the piles themselves are fine (keep in mind these are going to be this size when they're being painted):

So individual coins in those big piles might end up looking like the current texture anyways.

As for them though, I'd put some loose coins around the edges of the piles at the bottom. Right now the bottoms are fuzzy looking, like you've got a bunch of gold sand behind you. But if you made some coins overflowing from the bottom, it'd make it more bunch of gold coin-y.

Here's a mock-up of what I mean.

------------
What I'm going to work on this week:

Exotic beast transport, the kraken wants her blood back, the most precious of cargo.

Edit:

Help I'm addicted to wood grain.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 5 times, last edit by cattrin at Jun 2, 2014 5:18:58 PM]
[Jun 2, 2014 6:32:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Gahh thanks a lot for the tip and the great idea & mock-up, Cattrin! :D That helps me a lot, I will get working on that!

Even your sketches are so awesome! XD I really like that cargo background with the colors and the amazing wood grain! Nice job!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Jun 2, 2014 2:51:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Cattrin, both of your backgrounds are amazing! I'm really liking the kraken tentacles background, well done!

-------------------------------------------------------

I attempted to follow your mock-up and came up with this. I suppose I have no more ideas on what to do with it so if anyone sees anything that needs to be fixed (like if I did the coins wrong bahaha), I'd be super happy and grateful! (:

And just for the fun of it, I'll include what my sketch for this background looks like to show you guys how I really draw normally. XD It'll probably look different because I rearranged a lot of the objects, but you'll see the basic similarities between the two hopefully haha!

Of course, the art turned out better because of all the amazing tips and suggestions from you guys so I really want to thank you guys :D Being the 2nd time drawing on the computer, I have to say I'm somewhat content with how it turned out although it's lacking in so many areas still. XD I hope I can continue to get better at this so that I can contribute more art to YPP! ^^

Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Jun 3, 2014 1:07:02 AM]
[Jun 3, 2014 12:41:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

@Joondashbug - Heya :), I think your background looks great, I actually had quite a similar idea, and I believe you nailed it :). I don't really have much to add about it, just thought I'd compliment you on your work :)
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." - Henry David Thoreau

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Jun 3, 2014 5:26:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

. I suppose I have no more ideas on what to do with it so if anyone sees anything that needs to be fixed (like if I did the coins wrong bahaha), I'd be super happy and grateful! (:

I don't really see anything to fix, looks good mate.

One more left for me, I think I'll do it today. Thanks for the compliments on the other two. c:
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Jun 3, 2014 7:35:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

@Joondashbug - Heya :), I think your background looks great, I actually had quite a similar idea, and I believe you nailed it :). I don't really have much to add about it, just thought I'd compliment you on your work :)

Hi Fray! Thanks for the kind words, I'd love to see your background! Currently rocking your awesome rumble one. :D I'm not too good at that puzzle, but I do enjoy it a lot and was waiting for a rumble themed background for quite some time! Thanks for that and I look forward to your new backgrounds too!

I don't really see anything to fix, looks good mate.

One more left for me, I think I'll do it today. Thanks for the compliments on the other two. c:

Thanks for your help, Cattrin! I can't wait to see your other background!
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Jun 3, 2014 4:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Thanks for your help, Cattrin! I can't wait to see your other background!

No problem, glad to be of assistance.

Only had about an hour to work on it today, will finish tomorrow. It's a bit dark at the moment, but I'll fix it.

Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Jun 3, 2014 5:44:47 PM]
[Jun 3, 2014 5:30:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@ Joon - looking very nice mate!

@Cattrin - love yours so far, especially your Kraken - very eerie! Thanks for the feedback on mine. I've added highlights and attempted to fix the multi-source lighting. I hope it looks better! Also added a KB barrel down front for a little more interest.

Any other suggestions anyone?

[Jun 3, 2014 11:18:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

Hi Fray! Thanks for the kind words, I'd love to see your background! Currently rocking your awesome rumble one. :D I'm not too good at that puzzle, but I do enjoy it a lot and was waiting for a rumble themed background for quite some time! Thanks for that and I look forward to your new backgrounds too!

Hehe thanks Joon ^_^, I love rumble so I just had to make a background for it, I'm glad you like it :). Unfortunately I can't enter into this contest, Uni work blegh, I just enjoy seeing what everyone else creates ^_^, and they're all looking fantastic so far.
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." - Henry David Thoreau

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Jun 4, 2014 12:08:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Hehe thanks Joon ^_^, I love rumble so I just had to make a background for it, I'm glad you like it :). Unfortunately I can't enter into this contest, Uni work blegh, I just enjoy seeing what everyone else creates ^_^, and they're all looking fantastic so far.

Rumble is indeed awesome and one of my favorite puzzles as well! Good luck with all the work uni gives ye! I will continue to admire your rumble background until you create a new masterpiece. ( ;
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Jun 4, 2014 5:16:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

(with or without more saturated wood, I'll enter both)

Think I might be done with this one...what do you guys think?

I'm also looking for any comments on any of the three:

Any other suggestions anyone?

-
I like the addition of blood next to the kraken, ties in the idea more.

One thing, if I might nitpick, is the sign. I googled "no swimming" and I think I see the one you referenced, but the rest have the red covering the black parts it touches. Just a personal thing, but I like this way of representing "don't do the thing behind the red circle" better than "don't do the thing kindof but not really behind the red circle".
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jun 4, 2014 5:37:54 PM]
[Jun 4, 2014 5:13:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joondashbug

Think I might be done with this one...what do you guys think?

Wow Cattrin, this one is really spooky, creative, and superb artistically (as usual hehe)! I really like the composition and all the shadows from the light source, it seems to give it more of a realistic look along with the very nice metal texture/shading. Personally not a horror fan, but I cannot stop looking at it because you've done so well! XD

All three of your backgrounds look amazing, great job!

Edit: Tweaked a few things on mine before entering it.
- Made the locks on the treasure chest consistent in shape
- Ceiling a tiny touch darker to make it more of a "secret room"
- Tiny touch more highlights on the gold piles.

These are probably barely noticeable as they are not really drastic changes. I'm loving all the entries so far! It's always super exciting to see everyone's finished masterpiece(s).
Forum avatar by Cattrin
Frost from Emerald Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Joondashbug at Jun 5, 2014 4:44:16 AM]
[Jun 5, 2014 3:41:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates