• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5576 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 2014 Edition! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

It's portrait time again!

Winners!

Theme:
Once again, it's all on you, me hearties - it's BYOB time! No, not Bring Yer Own Brigand, but Bring Yer Own Background. We are giving no restrictions on theme because we think it'll be fun to see what you come up with. This means that if you've had a brilliant idea for a background that just hasn't fit in with one of our themes, you can dig it out and give it a go.

A previous entry had potential but wasn't quite right? An unfinished entry? A missed deadline? An entry you put in a few years ago that you think would be popular? This is the time to bring back those amazing entries that you submitted in the past! Keep in mind that many times an entry doesn't win because there are so many winning choices, not because it wasn't awesome! Bring it on. We are prepared to be surprised and delighted!

Go forth and wield yer brushes!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size. The preferred file format is .png
Entries must fit the appropriate scale:

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries. We don't want anyone laboring on some amazing art that has to be ignored because of this.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia and name the file according to the naming scheme listed below.

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest:
If the background didn't win, it can be submitted for future contests as long as it fits the theme within each contest. Go ahead and enter past entries if you wish, however, you shouldn't submit crops of past backgrounds that have already had a win and have been seen in game before.

To resubmit an entry, go to the YPPedia page where your image is located (i.e. File:Monthly_yourname_title.png), click "Edit" and add the current contest's tag to the summary. Do not delete the previous tag. If you want to participate with a new version of a past entry, then you can upload the new version instead!
Please note: if YPPedia warns you that you're uploading a duplicated file, it means that the image itself has not changed and you should add the new tag to the previous version instead of uploading a duplicate - it's likely the duplicated file will get deleted! (If in doubt, post in this thread and we will be happy to help)

Instructions for destination filename
The arrtists have requested a specific naming scheme of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest that may not be the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme. Note that this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. You may also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread for comment. Please follow the naming and image tag scheme below carefully.

Requested format for the filenames on YPPedia:
monthly_yourname_title_the_way_you_want_to_appear_in_game.png
All in lower-case. You can add the underscores yourself or simply leave a space between words, in that case, the wiki will automatically add the underscores for you.
So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's Tangled Threads, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png

If you are uploading multiple versions of the same background , it's best to give each a different name instead of using 1, 2, 3 at the end to differentiate. For example, if I want to upload 2 different versions of Tangled Threads, instead of using Tangled Threads 1 and Tangled Threads 2, I would use:
monthly_clotho_tangled_threads.png
monthly_clotho_threads_are_tangled.png

Instructions for tags in the summary field
The tag for this contest is "may14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag
"accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by your pirate name
"Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background

e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}}
or {{may14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors. The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Prizes:
The winning entries will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it becomes available. In addition to that, each winning entry will receive:
* a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail
* a choice of clothing or furniture item
* a choice of Bluebeard, Fishheadred, Greenbones egg or doll
* a free copy of their portrait in-game
* Dread Masterpiece trophy

The small print:
* Poe and doubloons (where applicable) for the free copy and the trophy (if the winner doesn't already have it) will be delivered at the time the portrait is available in game. These are lovingly hand-delivered, so it can take a few days to track ye down, feel free to send a petition with the title "FAO: Clotho" to let me know approximate times when you'll be in game.
* The clothing or furniture can be any item in any colors that can be ordered from a tailor or a furnisher in game. The following restrictions apply: no limited edition colors, no items that require a design to be created and no items that require a certain reputation to be worn or placed.
* An additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the winner does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.
* The real life prize may not be substituted for an additional furniture item.
* Please note that winners should contact about their prizes via petition instead of PM. Add "FAO:Clotho" to the title to make sure I receive it.

Deadline:
May 15th 2014, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
-- Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
-- Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
-- Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
-- Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
-- A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
-- In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
-- Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!
----------------------------------------

Hilando las hebras de la vida pirata...
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at May 20, 2014 10:50:56 AM]

[Apr 18, 2014 9:33:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bellahdonna

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 2014 Edition! [Deadline: May 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

If only my image hard drive hadn't failed this week. Seriously. :/

Wishing everyone mucho good luck!

Twilah on Meridian
[Apr 18, 2014 10:10:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - BYOB 2014 Edition! [Deadline: May 15, 2014] Reply to this Post

Was there a limit to backgrounds you may enter this contest with?
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Joondashbug
[Apr 19, 2014 1:28:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Was there a limit to backgrounds you may enter this contest with?

there is Never a limit ^^
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Booful at Apr 19, 2014 11:10:35 AM]
[Apr 19, 2014 11:10:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Think I might have a go this month...been far too long
Verziga of Emerald
Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew 'Deadliest Catch'
Lord of the flag 'League of Light'
Too busy to play...too busy to draw. Stupid job :(
[Apr 19, 2014 4:02:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Think I might have a go this month...been far too long

indeed! welcome back ^_^
[Apr 20, 2014 2:58:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I cant wait to see everyone's entries :O
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Apr 20, 2014 3:23:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

indeed! welcome back ^_^

Thankyou kindly :)

A quick sneak peek

Verziga of Emerald
[Apr 20, 2014 6:04:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

indeed! welcome back ^_^

A quick sneak peek

Oh my gosh. That's gonna be sooooooo cute and adorable!!!
[Apr 20, 2014 9:04:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

indeed! welcome back ^_^

A quick sneak peek

Oh my gosh. That's gonna be sooooooo cute and adorable!!!

*bows in respect* Can't wait for the final results... But already have a slight feeling I'm going to want it really bad ;)
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 21, 2014 5:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Instructions for tags in the summary field The tag for this contest is "may14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be: {{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}} where "contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name "creditname" is replaced by your pirate name "Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}} or {{may14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}} If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice. e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Do forum names with underscores work? I know to log on to Yppedia I have to use a second account without an underscore in the name.
So if I manage to draw something I'm happy entering, would I use
{{may14contest|senorita_esp|Chocorose|Portrait Title}}
or something else?
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Halloween is coming!
Current avvie by Bambeh and Pria

I collect avatars
[Apr 21, 2014 6:39:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

Instructions for tags in the summary field The tag for this contest is "may14contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload should be: {{contesttag|accountname|creditname|Portrait Title}} where "contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name "creditname" is replaced by your pirate name "Portrait Title" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Spinner|Loom}} or {{may14contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|Spindle}} If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice. e.g. {{may14contest|Clotho|Clotho|Tangled Threads}}

Do forum names with underscores work? I know to log on to Yppedia I have to use a second account without an underscore in the name.
So if I manage to draw something I'm happy entering, would I use
{{may14contest|senorita_esp|Chocorose|Portrait Title}}
or something else?

Heya, yes they do :), I have an underscore in my name as well, I do it exactly like your example, so not to worry :).
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present" <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Apr 21, 2014 8:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GoreJackFan

Any suggestions would be nice Ty

Gorev - Emerald
[Apr 23, 2014 8:21:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    MechanicGurl04 [Link]  Go to top 
Fleurs

Any suggestions would be nice Ty

Some gold trim around the green would be nice, make it look more like a poker table and also break up the blue and the green.

Might not work but might be worth a try :P
Flower power<3

[Apr 24, 2014 6:25:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Hiii everyone..
So.. two of my hearties are pregnant and I kinda wanna surprise em with this...
(In case one of em wins, obviously)
But I'm completely stuck!
Any suggestions? Don't make them too hard, I use Windows Paint only.

Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 24, 2014 1:22:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Hiii everyone..
So.. two of my hearties are pregnant and I kinda wanna surprise em with this...
(In case one of em wins, obviously)
But I'm completely stuck!
Any suggestions? Don't make them too hard, I use Windows Paint only.

It's usually a good idea to avoid a lot of text on backgrounds, since we have oceans with other languages (-though I seen pirate who've taken the time to make a version of each language to enter).

I'd say try to include some (albeit stereotypical) objects:[girl] [boy]
Cattrin of Midnight Cerulean (and sometimes Viridian Meridian)
Avatar by Apollo, Wiske, Shawe, Blakbead, Daeva, Bunnylaroo and Musicologist!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Apr 25, 2014 12:48:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

It's usually a good idea to avoid a lot of text on backgrounds, since we have oceans with other languages (-though I seen pirate who've taken the time to make a version of each language to enter).

What are the other languages? I could perhaps make this background with the other languages too.

Further thank you for the advice, I'll see what I can do with that :0
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 25, 2014 2:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

What are the other languages? I could perhaps make this background with the other languages too.

I would say take the words out completely, and rather add things like rattles or as suggested above, stereotypical boy/girl things...cars, dinosaurs etc for boys and dolls, butterflies for girls. Use the objects to imply its a birth announcement by making everything seem *cute* Anyways just a suggestion ^_^ Lots of possibilities with the theme!
[Apr 25, 2014 2:56:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Well Opal is a dutch ocean whereas Jade is a spanish ocean :P the rest is all english
Yumisa World Wide ;)
Your Favourite Cookie Monster <3op
Can't find me? Im on Deviant Art!
[Apr 25, 2014 8:23:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Well Opal is a dutch ocean whereas Jade is a spanish ocean :P the rest is all english

Dutch or Deutsch? :)
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 26, 2014 1:31:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Opal is the German ocean.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Apr 26, 2014 10:22:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

3 down...20 to go!!

Verziga of Emerald
[Apr 27, 2014 3:41:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lala_baby

3 down...20 to go!!

Aww, I love it so far, I can't wait to see what the finished result will be. ^_^
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present" <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frayscarlet of Emerald

[Apr 27, 2014 11:36:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

3 down...20 to go!!

So much detail....!
Teach me master :O
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 28, 2014 1:31:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

Thankyou Fray and Bisca ;)

6 down and 4 heads...nearly half way

Verziga of Emerald
[Apr 28, 2014 12:42:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Verziga.

You are doing so wonderful!
It's nearly too bad that a pirate will stand in between them and cover alot of the dolls :(
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 28, 2014 2:47:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

@ Verziga.

You are doing so wonderful!
It's nearly too bad that a pirate will stand in between them and cover alot of the dolls :(

Thankyou so much :) Peghead and Yu Jian are in now too...it's coming along.

I know what you mean about them being covered. It's a shame but it can't be helped.

Don't worry though, if things go to plan there might just be a 2 man version as well with EVEN MORE dolls ;)
Verziga of Emerald
[Apr 28, 2014 3:23:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Here are a bunch of old ones I'd like to re-enter. Any suggestions/feedback on any of them?

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald
Greyladyy on Cerulean
Cronus tells ye, "...it's Hera's doing. She spread those horrid lies of me eating poor innocent babies. *burp*"
Cronus tells ye, "When in doubt blame Hera"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CapnKkatz at Apr 28, 2014 6:48:49 PM]
[Apr 28, 2014 6:13:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Verziga.

Don't worry though, if things go to plan there might just be a 2 man version as well with EVEN MORE dolls ;)
WOOOOOOOH!! *party*
Sorry, I'm slightly weird. I have a doll-addiction.. (See my gallery lol)

@ Greylady. Very happy you are re-entering the BK one! It's amazing. Further about the pirates and ship one. Not sure, what PP-clothing piece the girl is wearing as top?
The rest is pretty good already. Can't really see anything that should be changed.
Bisca - Emerald Ocean

[Apr 29, 2014 1:53:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Verziga

@ Greylady...that BK pic is beautiful <3

@ Bisca...having a doll addiction isn't weird. What is weird is that I already KNEW you had a doll addiction ;)
Verziga of Emerald
[Apr 29, 2014 3:43:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 117   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates