• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1772 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
AvaPoet

Gender Balance Reply to this Post

One thing that's impressed me about the alpha testers to this game is the remarkable gender balance. Quite literally, it seems as if approximatley half the players are female (or, at least, play female pirates). In a discussion (offline) with Esk and Reaper, we tried to put a finger on why this might be the case with this game where it isn't with so many others.

I said I'd put this message up and see if I could get some feedback from the female players: why does this game hold greater appeal than many others in it's class?

(I suspect Cleaver's little marketing brain cells are already praising me for asking this question)
----------------------------------------
Ava
[Jan 19, 2003 6:39:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Gender Balance Reply to this Post

What amazes me (and what I think helps explain the gender balance) is that there are a lot of couples in the game. I am not SUPER surprised -- me mate Thusnelda was already in a 12-step program for MSN games addiction -- but it is a marvelous early balance that I would love to see continued. Those games are quite popular with many women I know, ones who don't game otherwise and look down on computer games in general.
[Jan 19, 2003 8:27:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Well like Homullus Im not female.

Also like him my wife plays PP as well, and yes there are quite a few couples out there that does that. Most seem to be a bit older than your average computer gamer.

I think the "puzzles" directly appeal to women. While the "Pirates" appeal to men. And the curiously odd combination of the two appeal to both. When I heard it, it was with a smile that I HAD to try and see what on earth it was.

I definitely see the more mature gamers here, people who's played Neverwinter Nights, Ultima Online and muds. People to whom graphics isn't primary. Where contents and social structure is more important.

And then ofcourse I like it because it's a game you can log on to and play for just a few minutes if you like. Alot of games like Everquest takes alot of time just to do simple tasks. Ofcourse the few minutes for me turns into 10 hours a day or something ;)

Also an interesting group are the developers, not the ringers, but all the other game developers playing this game, and there's quite a few of them. Im curious if they can say why they chose this game instead of Sims or Everquest etc?

I remember talking to Cleaver about the player demographics. And it would be a good idea of them to make a little anonymous survey to further pin down their user base so they know whom to target.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 19, 2003 10:32:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

women Reply to this Post

So.... why are only men replying to this?
[Jan 19, 2003 12:39:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Nemo, I was asking myself the same question... Unfortunately I can't give a good responce because I don't count... being both a comp sci major (therefor different from 95% of all females) and a recently recovered Diablo II addict (where 95% of the players were male) .

My guess is of course the atmosphere which is much more social (not as competitive) and not at all hack and slash... The game is also based on puzzles which are by nature both addictive and desirable to both sexes... they require more skill and less reaction time. Also because of the same reason that Solitaire is so popular, you can log on and play a quick game. This is a little harder in Puzzle Pirates, but I have logged on for just a quick swordfight or just to see who's online to talk to... or even for a quick drink.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 19, 2003 1:11:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

That's What I Thought Reply to this Post

The social interactions, that's what I thought, too.

I, too, was surprised by the number of couples on this game. Quite terrifyingly, Esk and I now spend so long on here that we actually have less sex. Scared yet?

I'm a dev. (not a PP dev., of course), and you'll probably laugh, Rengor, when you hear how I discovered the game...

I'm currently spending way too much of what little free time I have developing a secure online database system, which I'll be selling at cost price to a network of charities in the UK providing night-time telephone listening and information to students. This system will help these voluntary organisations find and manage volunteers for specific nights of the week, send text messages to them to remind them when they're due to be 'on duty', provide a secure forum, and (eventually) a host of other features.

While the selection of organisations which this system will serve are... somewhat diverse in thier policies (much to my horror as the system I develop has to cope with all of them), one thing they all have in common is the amount of time the telephone has to ring before they will answer it: three rings. As a result, my system is called Three Rings.

So; I looked for a domain name for it... threerings.com was already gone. Oh, I thought, I wonder who owns that? So I hopped to the web site and thus found Three Rings Design Inc., and, being a fan of MMORPGs and all things MUD and puzzle games, I signed up for Yohoho!

But what about the rest of you dev's? I know there're more tech's out there than just me, arr!
Ava
[Jan 20, 2003 2:03:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates